Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1984 Offseason)

4,152 posts in this topic

Yes! 

Arn-CAC.jpg

How did Lee Thomas do in the Championship?

1 person likes this

That was a fun Victory Bowl. Can't wait to see Los Angeles' new look.

So close!!!! Good game Minnesota, we'll get them next year

On 4/6/2017 at 11:42 PM, ItDoesntMatter said:

Congrats on three years. That's a lot of time to put in to something that doesn't exist, but trust me when I say I've enjoyed reading it all.

I was really pulling for Zeke and the Ghosts there, but props to Minnesota for outplaying them. Looking forward to next year - hopefully the Caps can be a tiebreaker or two more relevant....

Boston has a pretty talented roster.  The biggest thing holding them back at this point is probably the fact that their division is absolutely stacked.  New York has the league's best quarterback in Ron Adams, Pittsburgh has arguably the best all-around player in the AFA in LB Russ Osborne, and New Jersey is probably much better than their 3-10 record from this season would indicate.  It wouldn't be shocking to see three wildcard teams come out of the Northeast next season.

On 4/7/2017 at 0:00 PM, Dan O'Mac said:

Yes! 

How did Lee Thomas do in the Championship?

He was a bit quieter than he had been, but he didn't match up very well against the Ghosts.  He's a speed rusher, and Cleveland is a run-first team.  Not only that, he's had trouble with big, burly power backs at times, and Jose Ortuno fits that description.  It wasn't until the second half of the fourth quarter that the Ghosts fell far enough behind that they had to really turn to the passing game.  He did get one sack, and he forced Farragut to make a few throws early, most notably the fourth-quarter interception that set up Minnesota's backbreaking final touchdown.

Chicago is mostly hoping to avoid being the divisional punching bag.  The Butchers' roster is in an odd place.  They don't have any perennial All-Stars, but they have a lot of players who fall just short.  However, they also have a lot of gaping holes in their roster.  Their offensive and defensive lines are a joke, and their secondary can't stop anybody.

Meanwhile, the other three teams in the North look poised to dominate.  Detroit has a core that could grow into one of the league's best defenses, Cleveland appears to be a championship-caliber team entering their prime, and Cincinnati could have phenomenal star power growing in Reggie Hart and Vic Meredith.

In short, expectations are low.  It's a long offseason, so who knows what could happen, but unless they have a killer draft or a huge player breakthrough, it looks like they'll be lucky to maintain the 6 wins they got this season.  Of course, the other possibility is that one or more of their divisional rivals falls off next year, which isn't out of the question.  There are a lot of people questioning whether Frankie Farragut is a good enough quarterback to take the Ghosts to a title (in fact, Cleveland has already openly discussed the possibility of trading for Rob Connery) and there is a strong sense that the Gladiators may have overachieved this year.  Don't get me wrong, they have a solid core, but there a still a lot of weaknesses on their roster, and they're an extremely young team.

1 person likes this

Also, looks like I'll need an updated signature!

I have been away from this thread for a while, but all I can say is WOW!!! 

The evolution of the logos and uniforms for each team is absolutely incredible. I dont see how you can keep up with all of this, while balancing a family and a real job!

P.S. Can't wait to see what's in store for the my Grizzlies, the hometown Krewe, and the identity of the Comets! Congrats Veras. Keep doing what you're doing:winner:

1 person likes this

The Los Angeles Comets haven't been good since the mid-1970s, and even when they did have one of the league's most talented rosters, led by QB Jack "Hollywood" Holmes, they never found any postseason success.  In short, the team has experienced a lot of disappointment and frustration in their current uniforms.  That being said, years of high draft picks have left them with a solid young core that could develop into a very talented team over the next few years.  Finally, they have developed a tradition of changing up their look about once a decade to keep things fresh.  With these things in mind, the team unveiled new logos and uniforms for 1983, though the change was less radical than others have been.

Old Logo:

1972_los_angeles_comets_by_verasthebruja

New Logo:

1983_los_angeles_comets_by_verasthebruja

Once again, the team has changed their colors, though it was subtle.  They kept their purple, but replaced the red with orange for a much brighter look.  For the primary, they eliminated the never-popular "thermometer" comet, and replaced it with something resembling a fiery explosion (though Suns fans grumbled about the similarities between their logos).  Both the secondary and the wordmark are meant to replicate... comets.

Old Uniforms:

1978_los_angeles_comets_uniform_by_veras

New Uniforms:

1983_los_angeles_comets_uniform_by_veras

The new uniforms are more conservative in some ways and louder in others.  They dropped some of the unique features, including the slanted numbers and the comet striping pattern, but will now have one of the most vivid sets in the league.

6 people like this

Great new look for Los Angeles, really like the secondary. I was wondering as to what other teams will be changing their looks for the remainder of the '80s.

I... like everything except for the font. The rounded font just doesn't work for me, and I vastly prefer the previous font. The new logo & uniforms however are a great look. I feel the Comets are the 49ers in terms of looks in the AFA, and this is too different from what was a very classy look. 

How would the new uni's look with the italicized numbers & old LA logo used somewhere? I feel like a hybrid of the two is needed, and that this font is way too drastic of a change for a team that doesn't need much tinkering. In addition, the jersey striping could use a little white given the socks are white & white was featured quite a lot in the old set. 

I like it, Purple and Orange is a very underrated colour scheme, and the logo is a big upgrade. Looks good.

It is a very nice early 80s look, but I am not sure it will last long into the late 80s/early 90s probably leading into a BFBS slant to the uniforms.

Although I'm disappointed to see the old "LA" go, the vast improvement to the comet makes up for it. 

That Comets logo on a T-shirt would be an instant hit. (Though the tail on that wordmark is just a little too sharp edged...)

I'm absolutely in love.

I love it how you took the colors of the ill-fated SoCal Sun of the WFL to put to the team and you put it to perfection.

That look screams 80's. If they have a lot of success while wearing this uniform, I could see it become a popular throwback once the mid-2000's come around along with their 1952 uniforms.

I am on the fence about LA. I like the color change. I also like the new comet logo, but I dont like it on the helmet. I think it needs to be slanted. When I look at it sideways, I see a missile not a comet. Also the "LA" logo I think isn't as good as the old version that was on the helmet. I know the look you are going for with it, but it looks like paint dripping down a wall to me. So I do see some upgrades but I do see where they can definitely improve down the line. I am very much looking forward to the next season!  

Your logos look so great, you've improved so much since the beginning 

Sorry for the delayed response.  Every time I tried to touch this over the past week, the baby started crying.  I've had this window open for almost a week, and have just managed to type a few sentences at a time.  I have the 1983 offseason ready to go, and the simulation for the next year is complete, but I still have a lot of writing to do and graphics to complete, so could be another week or two before I'm ready to move on.

On 4/16/2017 at 0:30 PM, RightGuard said:

Great new look for Los Angeles, really like the secondary. I was wondering as to what other teams will be changing their looks for the remainder of the '80s.

I don't have any more logo changes finished yet, so nothing is set in stone, but I would expect Baltimore, Washington, and Tampa Bay, and Miami to change their logos within the next 10-12 years.  Seattle might adopt a new color scheme after the death of their current owner (who is 88), but their logo won't change much.  Atlanta's look will come under heavy scrutiny around the time of the 1996 Olympics.

There have been quite a few changes over the past couple years, so there won't be many more in the 80s, but quite a few in the early 90s, and then a ton at the turn of the century. 

On 4/16/2017 at 0:56 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

I... like everything except for the font. The rounded font just doesn't work for me, and I vastly prefer the previous font. The new logo & uniforms however are a great look. I feel the Comets are the 49ers in terms of looks in the AFA, and this is too different from what was a very classy look. 

How would the new uni's look with the italicized numbers & old LA logo used somewhere? I feel like a hybrid of the two is needed, and that this font is way too drastic of a change for a team that doesn't need much tinkering. In addition, the jersey striping could use a little white given the socks are white & white was featured quite a lot in the old set. 

To start with, let me just say that I definitely don't see the Comets as being like the 49ers.  If anything, they're the exact opposite, and are more like the Oregon Ducks in constantly and drastically reinventing themselves.

That being said, you're definitely right about the italicized numbers on the uniform, and I've made a hybrid of the two LA logos.

I'm sticking with the rounded font, though.  Part of what I wanted to do with this redesign is make things less blocky, and rounding off the wordmark is a big part of that.

On 4/17/2017 at 9:55 AM, eick74 said:

It is a very nice early 80s look, but I am not sure it will last long into the late 80s/early 90s probably leading into a BFBS slant to the uniforms.

That is exactly what I expect.  Nothing is set in stone yet, but they'll most likely make a change no later than 1994, and it's almost certain that they'll start wearing black.  I'm undecided on the second color - orange and teal are both possible.

On 4/17/2017 at 10:01 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

Although I'm disappointed to see the old "LA" go, the vast improvement to the comet makes up for it. 

On 4/22/2017 at 11:01 AM, officerpain138 said:

I am on the fence about LA. I like the color change. I also like the new comet logo, but I dont like it on the helmet. I think it needs to be slanted. When I look at it sideways, I see a missile not a comet. Also the "LA" logo I think isn't as good as the old version that was on the helmet. I know the look you are going for with it, but it looks like paint dripping down a wall to me. So I do see some upgrades but I do see where they can definitely improve down the line. I am very much looking forward to the next season!  

With several comments like this about the new LA logo, I've made a change that basically combines the old look with the new one, as suggested by @KittSmith_95.  See below, and let me know what you think.

On 4/17/2017 at 5:03 PM, Raymie said:

That Comets logo on a T-shirt would be an instant hit. (Though the tail on that wordmark is just a little too sharp edged...)

I changed it up so it tapers off less gradually.

On 4/19/2017 at 6:19 PM, cubsfan2015 said:

I'm absolutely in love.

I love it how you took the colors of the ill-fated SoCal Sun of the WFL to put to the team and you put it to perfection.

I wasn't familiar with that team, but I really like their look.  Weird color combo, but I love the logo.

Actually, the Phoenix Suns and Pittsburgh Maulers were the real inspiration.

On 4/20/2017 at 1:25 PM, Red Comet said:

That look screams 80's. If they have a lot of success while wearing this uniform, I could see it become a popular throwback once the mid-2000's come around along with their 1952 uniforms.

I think that's my favorite thing about basically completely redesigning this team so frequently - they're always going to have a lot of options for throwbacks.  This will be especially nice once we get into the 2010s, because they will definitely be one of the first to adopt a Nike-like futuristic look.  Having half a century of looks to choose from will provide some nice contrast with that.

--------------------

In this revision I changed the secondary to combine the 1972 version with my previous draft, brought back the slanted numbers on the jersey, and made two different versions of the helmet:  one that resembles their current helmet, and one similar to what I had before but with the logo slightly angled.  I also changed how the lines taper off on the wordmark, and included a version with the old font for comparison.

comets_logo_revisions_by_verasthebrujah-

1983_los_angeles_comets_uniform_by_veras