Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1984 Offseason)

4,153 posts in this topic

Alright, Minor's in New Orleans! Let's hope the Lefty can get us some W's & bring us back to glory! 

The New York Imperials unveiled an updated logo over the offseason, the first time that they've made any change since 1960.

Old Logo:

1960 New York Imperials Visual Identity by VerastheBrujah

New Logo:

1984-New-York-Imperials by VerastheBrujah

The logo itself is basically unchanged - they simply added an outline to the old one.  The most significant difference is that they've modified their color scheme, switching to a brighter red and dropping grey as a secondary color.  This is an idea that has been kicked around for a few years, but the loss in the recent Victory Bowl convinced them to finally pull the trigger.  After winning four of the first five championships, New York is now in the midst of a 33-year title drought, and have lost four Victory Bowls (1955, 1956, 1968, and 1983) in that span.  The new, cleaner look is meant to symbolize a fresh start, and a renewed effort to bring a title to the Empire State, instead of reliving the glory of teams that played during the Truman Administration.

Old Uniform:

1978 New York Imperials Uniform by VerastheBrujah

New Uniform:

1984_new_york_imperials_by_verasthebruja

The uniform blends the fresh new color scheme with some traditional elements.  Other than the updated logo and color scheme, none of the patterns on the uniform changed at all.  Two changes were made for superstitious reasons.  The helmets will be red, and the team will wear white at home, both of which were true in the 1940s and 50s.  Obviously, there is no reason to think that the color of the helmet or jersey will have an impact on how well the team plays, but it can't hurt to try, right?

Here is the updated look on a sig:

http://orig10.deviantart.net/724d/f/2017/168/2/2/player_ny_adams_by_verasthebrujah-dbd3fj4.jpg

player_ny_adams_by_verasthebrujah-dbd3fj

3 people like this

Nice work on the Imperials. Very clean and very well done. I can't complain about it. I also like how they are basically going to become the Cowboys in this universe by wearing White at Home. Can't wait to see Miami and the 1984 Season.

I like the new Imperials logo, reminds me of the 80s Giants uniforms. I imagine they will bring back Grey to their Unis in the future just as the Giants did.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:04 PM, Darknes said:

How was Boston's offseason?

The Captains have been pretty consistent in their approach in recent years.  When Darryl Majors signed on as head coach in 1979, he laid out a slow rebuilding plan, saying that his goal was to build a great team that could win championships, not a good one as fast as possible.  They work hard to draft the best available players and then develop them.  They were very happy to get Barry Koehler (CB-USC) in the first round.  He's strong and aggressive, which makes him excellent against the run and in fighting for the ball in 50-50 situations.  He is penalized frequently, partly as a consequence of his aggressive style, but Majors believes that they can coach that out of him, and as said that Koehler could be the next Knight Roberts.

On 6/17/2017 at 4:59 PM, Mercy_King said:

Darn, I thought Miami was going to be the team with the wildest uniforms in the league, which made them unique. Hopefully they'll keep some of their eccentric looks in the new look.

I'll try to post their new look later tonight, but I'll tell you now that, no, the new look isn't eccentric at all.  Their colors will change slightly, with a blue that is in between the original and current shades, and they will be the first team in the league to wear an alternate during the regular season (but it's just a different color of pants).  I'll probably post them late tonight or tomorrow.

They are a strong candidate to do something crazy in the 1990s, though, especially if the Fowlers regain control.

On 6/17/2017 at 6:01 PM, FDW said:

How are The Dragons doing this offseason?

It wasn't a great offseason.  They actually lost more players to retirement than any other team.  Their biggest loss came on the offensive line, where they will lose three guys who combined to start 35 games in 1983.  Losing LT Johnny Stroud wasn't much of a surprise - he was 36 and wasn't interested in playing out his final days for a team that's in the middle of the rebuilding process.  However, they also lost RT Louis Murray and RG L.T. Bayer, both of whom would have turned 29 before the season opener.  The two cited low pay compared to other offensive linemen around the league and the departure of Stroud as their reasons for retiring, and both will become coaches at the collegiate level.

It was actually something of a surprise that they didn't spend their top pick on an offensive lineman, but there are a few reasons why.  First of all, of the three that they lost, only Stroud had ever been a clear starter, and those days were long over.  Bayer and Murray were both okay, but probably slightly below league average, so none of the three will be particularly difficult to replace.  Second, this draft class wasn't exactly loaded with talented offensive linemen.  They would have liked to get Dave McConnell (LT - Sacramento State) with the 10th overall pick, but he went to Philly at 7.  They could have traded down, but the no running backs had been taken, and they loved Rick Riley, so they pulled the trigger.

The pick was criticized, though.  The incumbent running back, Russell Tobin, was their first pick in the 1981 draft.  He looked really good as a rookie, but has struggled to stay on the field.  Still, the roster has enough holes that a lot of fans were unhappy to see the team spend their first pick on a position that already has a reasonably talented starter.  At this point, it's assumed that Tobin and Riley will share the load.  Tobin is a pure speed back, while Riley is stronger and better as a blocker and a receiver.  It's not yet clear who will be number one, but it does seem likely that Tobin will see his load reduced considerably, and might see some play on special teams.

23 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Alright, Minor's in New Orleans! Let's hope the Lefty can get us some W's & bring us back to glory! 

This is a pretty exciting pick for the team.  Minor's jersey quickly became a bestseller in New Orleans, and it has fan interest in the Krew up to a level that it hasn't been in a decade.

Incidentally, here is the sig with the new logo and uniform that you requested.  I wanted to hold off on posting it until the draft was official.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/c085/f/2017/169/2/2/new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

17 hours ago, willmoen said:

Nice work on the Imperials. Very clean and very well done. I can't complain about it. I also like how they are basically going to become the Cowboys in this universe by wearing White at Home. Can't wait to see Miami and the 1984 Season.

There has almost always been at least one team that wears white at home.  In fact, I think 1982 and 1983 are the only season in which that wasn't the case.  New Orleans had always worn white at home until their 1982 redesign.  New York, Cleveland, and Minnesota have also all done it at some point in the past.  And, of course, Colorado always wears white at home during the postseason.  If their success continues, it's only a matter of time before they extend the tradition.

3 hours ago, YungMan said:

I like the new Imperials logo, reminds me of the 80s Giants uniforms. I imagine they will bring back Grey to their Unis in the future just as the Giants did.

It's certainly a possibility, but it depends on how things go.  If they win the next three Victory Bowls wearing just red and white, it's hard to imagine them moving away from the new look, except for throwbacks.

40 minutes ago, Veras said:

There has almost always been at least one team that wears white at home.  In fact, I think 1982 and 1983 are the only season in which that wasn't the case.  New Orleans had always worn white at home until their 1982 redesign.  New York, Cleveland, and Minnesota have also all done it at some point in the past.  And, of course, Colorado always wears white at home during the postseason.  If their success continues, it's only a matter of time before they extend the tradition.

I must have forgotten about all of those examples. Anyways, great work as always.

I am a sucker for numbers like the Imperials went to. The move to red/white is nice, and I'm on board!

The Imps look damn good and I'm smelling some trouble brewing in MIA. I honestly haven't kept up with the characters as much as the scores, standings, and team identities but, is this a possible fan v owner scenario where we see a forced sale/takeover or relocation?

Hmmm... The Angels are starting to look like the Minnesota Vikings, drafting players with off-field troubles (D'Angelico and Dalvin Cook). Maybe it's just a Minnesota football thing.;)

Speaking of the Angels, the LA Angels' Father's Day uniforms look awfully familiar.

IMG_1430.JPG

1 person likes this

Well I absolutely LOVE the new Imperials look! I am glad the Imperials decided to keep the NY logo, just touch it up a bit. The red helmet also is a nice change. Wearing white at home is something I didnt expect from them. It doesnt bother me what jersey they wear, just interesting choice by them. I really hope that this change will bring back some glory though for this storied franchise! I cant wait to see what Miamis new look will be. Keep up the fantastic work! And happy belated fathers day!

Just saw the the new Imperials look, and I like the fact it's a simple clean up of what they used in the past.