Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1984 Postseason: 39th Victory Bowl)

4,259 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, rjrrzube said:

Love this series, you've really drawn me in. 

2 tiny things: Why is the logo different on Cleveland's scoreboard helmet and football field helmet? The scoreboard has outlines only, and the field has a solid white ghost. 

Also, the final score on the playoff brackets is wrong. 

Thanks for all your efforts! 

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it.  To answer your first question:  I made a mistake.  When I originally published their current logo set and uniforms for the 1974 season, I wasn't especially happy with where it ended up, but I didn't think it was going to get any better.  A few months later, I opened it back up and dramatically improved it, and retroactively applied the revised version.  I thought I had completely purged the old one, but apparently I left it in the uniform bank in my postseason game template.

Thanks for the heads up on that and the VB score on the bracket.  I've corrected both.

10 hours ago, YungMan said:

Glad to see that Cleveland was able to seal the deal in winning the championship this year. I do have a question though, are the Ghosts considered a young team that are championship contenders for the foreseeable future?

They are a pretty young team, and could compete for a few more years.  QB Therron Nikoloudis was a rookie this year, and will be 24 next season.  Jose Ortuno will be 26, DT Keith Barry will be 23, and SS John Bow will be 27.  The only superstars that they have who are 30 or above are RG Russ Robertson (31) and CB Kevin Rubin (30).  They have some obstacles - an aging, mediocre receiving corps; the danger of running Ortuno too hard; the need for Nikoloudis to develop; and perhaps most significantly, the fact that they share a division with Reggie Hart and the Guardians.

10 hours ago, MR. 3G said:

Veras,

Any chance you update the "AFA Stadiums" map on Google? I love exploring around some of the original locations you use! 

I'll take a look at it tonight.  It's been so long since I've looked at it that I don't even remember when I stopped updating it, but if I can figure it out without too much of a hassle, I'll get it updated.

9 hours ago, RightGuard said:

Will the AFA logo ever get a major upgrade? Also, I'd like to see if any Victory Bowl logos were ever drafted up.

I've thought about it.  In fact, I think I tried to overhaul it once before, but the change - specifically moving away from the NIRA eagle - wasn't well-received.  I actually have another draft that I intended to unveil when the league expanded to 28, but I never made the move.  It might happen in the late 90s or after the turn of the century.

I've done logos for every Victory Bowl since the 27th.  Most of them can be found here, though since it's no longer possible to conveniently organize DeviantArt, it's not particularly organized.  I'm actually working on a Google Drive account that will be a far easier way to show logos, uniforms, and access the narrative (though that last point is holding me up).  I'll make sure to add a Victory Bowl logo folder.

If you're interested @RBronish did a series on what the Victory Bowl logos could have looked like for the first 26 championship games

9 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Thank you!

Also, is that logo on Ortega's helmet a blurry KC or are the Crows getting a new helmet logo?

Yeah, it's just blurry.  Since the edges are blurry on all of the outlines, it looks weird if I don't do the same thing on the patterns/logos.

6 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

Congrats to the Ghosts! I can't complain about them winning. The VB logo is decent. Not my favorite, but I like that it was different. With the "mistake" on the field, was that on purpose or did you make the accident?

It was intentional, but I very easily could done it unintentionally.  As I was thinking about what would flank the team name in the end zone, the thought crossed my mind that California's would be exclusively blue and white while Cleveland's would be purple and white.  I probably would have double-checked anyway, but the reason that I realized that their facemask is grey, not white, is because I copied their helmet directly from the field for the 37th Victory Bowl.  After doing that, I thought about how obnoxious it would be to have to acquire an additional type of paint that would be used only on that tiny part of the field and nowhere else, and just switched it to white.

4 hours ago, flacco's mustache said:

Congratulations to Cleveland, but I'm just happy to see my Royals inch closer and closer throughout these past few seasons. I'd imagine that the Baltimore front office could be looking towards bringing in a big name free agent acquisition to assist Derrill Punch and Adrien Doom's Victory Bowl quest for next season.

I finally decided to make an account and join the discussion after reading through this thread over the past few months. All I can say is this league is a true masterpiece for creative sports writers and I'd like to thank you for the entertainment Veras.

Lastly, a Royals' Derrill Punch sig would be a very cool addition to my profile. If you could add that to the signature request list that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance, Veras!

First of all, thank you for your kind words, and welcome to the boards.

Free agency doesn't exactly exist yet.  Players are free to sign with new teams if they are cut from their old squad, but a team signing a player who hasn't been waived is subject to a huge financial penalty, paid to the player's former franchise.  The value is tied to the size of the contract, which means that very few teams are willing to sign talented/high-profile players.  A trade, on the other hand, is definitely plausible.  RB Jim Ingles hasn't been getting it done, and he'll be 30 this offseason, so there is no reason to expect a breakthrough from him.

I'm happy to make a Royals sig for you, but are you sure that you want Punch?  Don't get me wrong, if you prefer a QB, I'm happy to do it, but he's very middle of the pack as far as AFA QBs go, more on the level of a Walter Dodd (San Diego) or Todd Mayo (Chicago) than a Ron Adams (New York) or Reggie Hart (Cincinnati).  He's young enough (26) that he has time to improve, but he honestly doesn't seem to have much upside.  Adrian Doom (MLB) and Joe Oldham (DE), on the other hand, are true superstars.  You could easily make the case that both are the best in the league at their position.

1 hour ago, Veras said:

I'm happy to make a Royals sig for you, but are you sure that you want Punch?  Don't get me wrong, if you prefer a QB, I'm happy to do it, but he's very middle of the pack as far as AFA QBs go, more on the level of a Walter Dodd (San Diego) or Todd Mayo (Chicago) than a Ron Adams (New York) or Reggie Hart (Cincinnati).  He's young enough (26) that he has time to improve, but he honestly doesn't seem to have much upside.  Adrian Doom (MLB) and Joe Oldham (DE), on the other hand, are true superstars.  You could easily make the case that both are the best in the league at their position.

Okay, I can see how a D-Punch sig could be viewed as an odd request, but allow me to defend my decision. Ever since Derrill Punch took over under center in the 1982 playoffs, not only has he represented Baltimore's climb out of mediocrity, but Punch has contributed to memorable Royals playoff runs in his first two seasons as the team's full time starter. While it's no secret that he may not have the most talent in the AFA, Punch's hometown heroism (ex-Maryland Terp) and underdog reputation is why I like to think he possesses somewhat of a Tebow-esqe cult following among Baltimore fans. He's surely a player I'll always remember and who knows, maybe he can bring some of his magic back to Charm City as a coach one day?

However if you truly feel that Punch's time in the spotlight could be ending soon, an Adrian Doom sig is the next best thing for me. I like to envision "Dr. Doom" as a savage trash talker, almost like the AFA's Jack Lambert (correct me if I'm completely wrong).

That's sound reasoning.  D-Punch it is.

When I think of Doom's personality, I think a little bit of post-1993 Dennis Rodman.  He's flashy, he's a trash-talker, he's quick to get in fights, and he does try to intimidate opponents (though he actually isn't exactly elite when it comes to hitting - he's most effective in pass coverage).  He can also be disruptive in the locker room.  When things are going well on the field, everything is fine, but he can be a huge detriment to morale if his team is on a losing streak.

1 hour ago, Veras said:

That's sound reasoning.  D-Punch it is.

When I think of Doom's personality, I think a little bit of post-1993 Dennis Rodman.  He's flashy, he's a trash-talker, he's quick to get in fights, and he does try to intimidate opponents (though he actually isn't exactly elite when it comes to hitting - he's most effective in pass coverage).  He can also be disruptive in the locker room.  When things are going well on the field, everything is fine, but he can be a huge detriment to morale if his team is on a losing streak.

He kind of sounds like TO in the body of Lawrence Taylor. 

I'm a little late to the after party, but GO GHOSTS!!! 

Now that there is a little break in the action, I was just wondering if this series has played out kind of how you wanted/expected so far? When you started this series, did you have plans that haven't been able to play out? For example, did you plan on getting rid of a team or moving a team, but couldn't because they became successful? I'm just curious of what backstory, if any, never transpired because of how the expansion voting decided, teams became successful or unsuccessful, etc. I know I've said it before, but this has been an amazing series and I'm looking forward to what you come up with next! 

1 person likes this

On 7/13/2017 at 11:30 PM, Red Comet said:

He kind of sounds like TO in the body of Lawrence Taylor. 

That's a pretty fair assessment, though he has some of LT's personality traits as well.

13 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

Now that there is a little break in the action, I was just wondering if this series has played out kind of how you wanted/expected so far? When you started this series, did you have plans that haven't been able to play out? For example, did you plan on getting rid of a team or moving a team, but couldn't because they became successful? I'm just curious of what backstory, if any, never transpired because of how the expansion voting decided, teams became successful or unsuccessful, etc. I know I've said it before, but this has been an amazing series and I'm looking forward to what you come up with next! 

There have been several things like this.  Here are a few off the top of my head, some of which I may have mentioned before:

• The Angels were supposed to end up in Miami.  The plan was to have them parallel the Atlanta Braves journey from New England to the upper Midwest to the South.  Actually, I had only planned on keeping them in the Twin Cities for about 5 years, but they started winning as soon as they arrived.  The concept for this team is probably my oldest.  The Miami Archons were a team that I created for a fictional league that I developed when I was probably 11 or 12.
  • I've wanted to do a Seattle Pilots storyline where an expansion team lasts only one year before relocating, but I've never gone through with it.  In fact, I've planned on telling that story for almost every expansion.  For the 60/61 group, I planned on moving Buffalo, but I put too much work into the logo, and didn't want its run to be so short.  For the most recent two groups, I was going to move Portland and Kansas City, but I didn't want to so blatantly undermine the expansion council (and I ended up really liking the end result for the Crows).  If Indianapolis had won either time, I probably would have gone through with it.
  • There were also a few teams that should have been all-time greats but failed to win the Victory Bowl (the Guardians in the 1940s, the Imperials and Hurricanes in the 1950s), and some that shouldn't have been special but just kept winning (the Gladiators in the 1960s, the Krewe in the 1970s).
  • The Baltimore Legion franchise folded after going 0-22-2 in 1952/53.  They were supposed to turn a corner and really start improving in '52, and be title contenders throughout the late 1950s.  Given their talent level and schedule, the odds of them going winless over those two years was something like 1:10,000.  If they hadn't folded, the Wasps wouldn't exist, and there probably wouldn't be a team in D.C. (the Royals would likely have ended up in San Diego, Phoenix, or Indianapolis).
  • The biggest one, however, is that Willie Krause was supposed to be with the Royals, not the Miners.  He was their defensive coordinator from 1946-48 and was head coach from 1949-54, but just never did much after losing the Victory Bowl in his first year.  He was eventually fired and signed with Pittsburgh.  This had several consequences.
    • The Royals were supposed to stay in Richmond and be the Green Bay Packers of the AFA.  Instead, they ended up moving to Baltimore and have been one of the league's most unsuccessful franchises.
    • Instead, the Miners are unquestionably the greatest (and most hated) franchise in AFA history.  I actually considered them to be a strong candidate for relocation, possibly to Atlanta , Dallas, or Miami (if the Angels didn't go), where they would keep their name, even if it didn't make sense (think Utah Jazz, LA Lakers).
    • It's also worth considering the second-order effects that this has led to.  How many more postseason appearances would, say, New York and Boston have if the Miners hadn't been so dominant?  Once they're in the playoffs, all it takes is one lucky day to knock off a superior team, so maybe the Captains and/or Imperials would have a few more titless

All of these never-happened things are crazy, but I love it! A couple questions based on that, though:

- Would Minnesota get another team once the Angels left?

- You mentioned wanting to kill off specifically Buffalo, Portland, and KC. Where would they go if you went ahead with that story?

- How did you plan the Legion's look to evolve over time?

- Would the Richmond Royals history essentially be the Miners' if they kept Krause, and vice versa?

Its definitely interesting to see how the league would've turned if things went your way. Also, me being me, was there plans for a Orlando team? Obviously it won't happen now due to Tampa, but now I'm curious to see if football would be in my city :D

20 minutes ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Any chance of bringing back the Legion during a future expansion?

Not unless the Royals move out of Baltimore, I'm guessing...

Interesting how things played out. The Willie Krause storyline is interesting. Kind of reminds me of Belichick. I wonder what would have happened if the Browns never moved and kept him as coach... Well I can't wait to see what's next! When do you anticipate the next season getting underway? 

4 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

All of these never-happened things are crazy, but I love it! A couple questions based on that, though:

- Would Minnesota get another team once the Angels left?

- You mentioned wanting to kill off specifically Buffalo, Portland, and KC. Where would they go if you went ahead with that story?

- How did you plan the Legion's look to evolve over time?

- Would the Richmond Royals history essentially be the Miners' if they kept Krause, and vice versa?

Its definitely interesting to see how the league would've turned if things went your way. Also, me being me, was there plans for a Orlando team? Obviously it won't happen now due to Tampa, but now I'm curious to see if football would be in my city :D

Minnesota would almost certainly have gotten a new team at some point.  I'd have to think that it would have happened during either the 1960/61 or 67/68 expansion, or maybe through relocation.

I don't really remember where I was planning on sending the relocated teams.  I think I intended to move Buffalo to Miami, I have no idea what I planned to do with Portland, and I intended to send Kansas City to Salt Lake City.  Actually, I decided even before the expansion bids were posted that if Indy or KC won, the team would end up in Utah, but I changed my mind after the vote.

I didn't have anything in mind for the Legion in the future.  Their colors were blue and gold, and that likely would have stuck.  Their logo was a mashup of the American Legion logo and the flag of Maryland, so it definitely would have changed, but I'm not sure how.  I might have moved them in a direction of using more military imagery, or in relying more heavily on the heraldry aspect of the Maryland flag, or maybe even just simplified what they already had.

I wouldn't say that the histories of the Miners and Royals would have been switched, but it's probably not an unfair description.  I definitely expected the Richmond Royals to win a bunch of titles, just like Pittsburgh did, but I'm not certain what would have happened to the Miners - it just depends on how the simulations go.  Krause means that the Miners will pretty much always be good enough to compete, but the digital dice have been incredibly kind to them.  The Royals, on the other hand, have had terrible luck, even when Krause was there.  They have been among the top-rated teams in the league at two different points in their history, but don't really have anything to show for it.

There are four more slots to fill over the next 10-15 years, and I hope that some, if not all, of them to go to non-NFL markets.  This means that the natural candidates are cities that house MLB, NBA, and NHL franchises, but not NFL ones.  So places like Orlando, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, etc. have a real chance.

2 hours ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Any chance of bringing back the Legion during a future expansion?

No way.  They existed for only 8 years and never had a winning season.  Even if the Royals do leave and the team gets a new franchise, there is no chance that they would be the Legion.

18 minutes ago, officerpain138 said:

Interesting how things played out. The Willie Krause storyline is interesting. Kind of reminds me of Belichick. I wonder what would have happened if the Browns never moved and kept him as coach... Well I can't wait to see what's next! When do you anticipate the next season getting underway? 

I actually had Belichick in mind when I made the decision to have the Royals fire him.

I want to make sure that I have everything for the next season ready to go before I start posting.  I don't like these long gaps between years, but I'd much rather have that then in the middle of the playoffs or something.  As of now, the offseason designs are done (and should go up within the next few days), and I've completed simulation for the next year, I just need to write and create the graphics.  I'm almost finished with the offseason, so I expect to be ready late this week or early next week.

8 hours ago, MBurmy said:

Not unless the Royals move out of Baltimore, I'm guessing...

5 hours ago, Veras said:

No way.  They existed for only 8 years and never had a winning season.  Even if the Royals do leave and the team gets a new franchise, there is no chance that they would be the Legion.

I was referring to a completely different city taking the Legion name, maybe still based on the American Legion or maybe based on the Roman Legion. Is there any city in the USA who is the sister city to Rome?

2 minutes ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

I was referring to a completely different city taking the Legion name, maybe still based on the American Legion or maybe based on the Roman Legion. Is there any city in the USA who is the sister city to Rome?

New York and Rome Georgia are unofficial sisters to Rome

1 hour ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

I'd say if Phoenix didn't have a team, the Arizona Legion would be an awesome name. Just saying. 

4 hours ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

I hadn't planned on it, though I suppose it's not impossible.  My immediate reason for saying no was "why would an unrelated franchise choose the name of a team that failed so badly?"

The thing is - you can answer that question just by looking at the predecessors of my Colts - the Dallas Texans and the Miami Seahawks.  Dallas was 1-11 (and four subsequent franchises in three leagues and two cities have used the name) and the Seahawks were 3-11.  Both were failures on and off the field, and lasted only a single season.  If teams were willing to pick up those names again, why wouldn't Legion be possible?  It definitely fits with the kind of nonplural names that were put into use in the 1990s.  I'll keep an open mind to the idea.

The Titans are another example. The New York Titans were such a mess, the AFL had to take over and sell the team. The new owners then renamed them the Jets. 

The name Legion isn't bad. I could see an expansion team using the name but having no connection to Baltimore or to honor the American Legion.