Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1986 Postseason: Quarterfinals)

hawkfan89    540

New Jersey looks good, the helmet might even be a toss-up with New Orleans as the coolest one in the AFA if you ask me. On another note, how are the Krewe looking heading into '82?

RedfieldNick    194

I forgot to say this earlier, but what if the San Diego kicker becomes a Ray Guy esque player? That would be hilarious!!

And New Jersey, well:

IMG_1212.GIF

Veras    428

Since there were a lot of questions about the color scheme, I'll take a second to talk about that.  I chose to keep the orange and red specifically because it was a weird choice for a team called the Sharks, and because the team owner, Sean Cooper, switched them from black and orange to red and orange in 1972 after purchasing the team in 1970.  That being said, here are the three other choices that I seriously considered:

new_jersey_sharks_color_scheme_options_b

The blue/charcoal is my favorite combo of the three, but it's 10 years too early.  When I started this project, I expected the Detroit Gladiators to end up in a color scheme that looked something like that, but their run of success in blue and green in the 1960s have made that an unlikely possibility.

My problem with the Oilers-inspired theme in the middle is that the Minnesota Angels already pretty much own light blue in the AFA.  I think this design lends itself very well to red/white/blue, but with Philadelphia already in the division, I would have to use either very light or very dark shades.

I thought about going with the Orange Crush sort of look on the right, but I think the shark teeth just don't pop very well against the orange mouth.

Nevertheless, I'm definitely interested getting feedback on these options as opposed to the red/orange.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:16 PM, Dan O'Mac said:

I like the Sharks, EXCEPT the stripe on the helmet. I think without the stripe, the helmet will be more of a faux-shark head.

Agreed.  I think it was there by mistake.  I know that I originally added it to look like a dorsal fin, but it pretty obviously didn't work for that.  I didn't even include it on the secondary logo.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:49 PM, Red Comet said:

Love the new Sharks helmet. Considering that they're loading up on defense, I'm thinking they pull a Colorado Avalanche (or Los Angeles Comets) and win the Victory Bowl in their first year there. Either way, next season sounds like it's going to be the most exciting yet. There are so many contenders like New Jersey, New York, San Diego, Texas, Arizona, Colorado and maybe Cleveland might be a dark horse candidate. As for the Crows, I'd say going at least 6-10 would be a promising sign.

As @officerpain138 said, New Jersey would need to some serious contributions from their young defense to be considered top flight contenders this year, but they're not at all out of the quesiton.  All in all, your list is pretty sold.  Seattle, New York, and Colorado are the three most popular choices, but New Jersey, San Diego, Texas, and Cleveland are popular dark horses.

6-10 seems like a pretty attainable goal for the Crows.  They have a reasonably easy schedule, with two games against Milwaukee, and then matchups against Tampa, Atlanta, Philly, Detroit, Baltimore, Houston, and California, there are a lot of winnable games on their schedule.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:26 PM, JTswag187 said:

Love the new look for the sharks, I hope they eventually change colors but I can see why they did what they did. One thing about the design that confuses me is if you're trying to distance yourself from the imperials wouldn't you want to wear as little red as possible? If so, the red pants seem kind of out of place. Personally I would've gone with yellow or white pants. Also are we going to see a field design for the Sharks?

I considered changing the pant color to reduce the red, but because New York's look is so conservative, the loud, red pants create a more dstinctive look than white would (and I'm not ready to go monochrome with the orange).  I have a field design most of the way finished, but in all honesty, I think I'm only going to do the Victory Bowls.  Doing the fields is really boring - the field template is made perfectly to scale, so getting everything perfectly aligned is time consuming and not all that interesting.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:34 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

Keeping the Red & Maroon was a interesting choice for the Sharks, but I love it. The one thing I don't like the shoulder stripes. They seem too modern for a 80's team & stick out from the rest of the design, which is very sleek & classy. I'd rather see the sock stripe used on the shoulders until the mid-90's, where a shark fin design would look/be very 90's IMO. 

Also, I agree about the helmet stripe. Remove that thing. 

You have a point about the shoulder stripe.  When I first started, I had that thought and attempted to confirm that USC wore that kind of shoulder stripe in the early 1980s.  Except they didn't.  So I'll probably change it to the double stripe style pictured in the color options above.

22 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Man, I've never commented on this thread before, but sweet lord you're fantastic at designing helmets.

Thanks, man.  I really appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Dancersimage13 said:

Well done on the Sharks.  Just curious as to what the Gaurdians have been up to in the off season.  After some improvement can they contend or will they trip over themselves.

The Guardians were favorites to jump into playoff contention last year, but they just fell short.  They have the pieces though.  Their offensive line is elite, Reggie Hart showed a ton of promise as a rookie,  Vic Meredith (at 25 years old and with 3 years of experience) is already in the conversation for best tight end in history, and their defense is nothing to scoff at.  DT Andrew Gray is a perennial All-Star, and their linebackers are above average.  Probably their biggest move of the offseason was bringing in blitzing MLB B.B. Bedini from San Diego.  He was released from the team at his request, and should make the Guardians quite dangerous.

Still, this is a team that has shown an unparalleled ability to lose, and while they look good on paper, relatively few people are picking them to break their 23-year playoff drought (fun fact - most of the players on the team hadn't yet been born the last time Cincinnati actually won a postseason game).

5 hours ago, hawkfan89 said:

New Jersey looks good, the helmet might even be a toss-up with New Orleans as the coolest one in the AFA if you ask me. On another note, how are the Krewe looking heading into '82?

It's hard to say how good the Krewe will be.  By all accounts, they should still be in rebuilding mode, but their 8-8 finish last season was much better than expected.  If they keep improving, they could challenge Texas in the South.  The play of QB Randall Smith has held them back significantly.  This will be his fourth season in the AFA, and most area already willing to label him a draft bust.  Then again, they weren't able to find anyone better, so it looks like he'll be under center for the season opener.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

In a little over 3 weeks this incredible thread will turn 3 years old! Keep it up @Veras

I'm not going to lie; that's pretty exciting, especially when you consider that I almost gave up after posting the original 12 teams.  There are quite a few pretty significant milestones coming up in addition to the three year anniversary.  We're also approaching 500,000 views and 4000 posts, and I'm coming up on my 1000th individual post.

3 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

I forgot to say this earlier, but what if the San Diego kicker becomes a Ray Guy esque player? That would be hilarious!!

There is actually already a player based on Ray Guy in the league, Boston's Rhys Scott (who was also drafted in round 1).  Really, the Destroyers just couldn't pass on taking Jeff Austin with that pick.  His draft grade was an 86, which was tied for fourth highest in the entire draft (the top three picks were 97, 95, 90).  By the time the Destroyers were on the clock, most available prospects were rated in the mid to low 70s (he was taken after a 73 rated LB and before a grade 70 DB).  They came in planning to draft the best player available, and that was clearly Austin.  It didn't hurt that their old kicker, Johnny Fry, was one of the league's worst.

chrisCLEMENT    634

Personally, I think the blue and black looks the best out of that grouping. Not too sure if it's too early for that combo either, the Edmonton Drillers use it in the NFA so there is a presidence in this universe for it. :) 

MBurmy    428

BLUE/CHARCOAL FTW!!!  Sets them enough apart from the Imperials to give 'em a unique color scheme along the Coast.

Also, they play in a state-of-the-art dome...let 'em be ahead of their time in the kits, too!

Steelman    95

The orange/blue seems like the most logical color switch to me. I'm a fan of the orange/red scheme, but not for a Jersey team named the Sharks. Orange and Blue is extremely New York historically (Cooper's ploy at getting some NY fans over?) and with the Imperials nearby it seems odd to put even more red on a uniform after the move, despite the different shade.

Couldn't you stick with an orange helmet and make the shark mouth blue? That would also seem like a logical carryover from Buffalo. Then in 10 years, like you said, they can drop the orange to a third color and hit up the black like everyone else. I'm not even sure if you need to go that bright with the orange yet-- that seems like a more modern shade to me. Perhaps a slight brightening of Buffalo orange in combination with a blue would be a good bet. Lots of good ideas here. That orange/red scheme should def be saved for a future expansion/relocation team.

KittSmith_95    628

I love the Blue/Charcoal...... but how about using a Silver with the shade of Blue from that set? Think a mix between Lions & Cowboys.... as Sharks are silver, not Black/Charcoal. This would allow for a silver shell for the helmet... and I'd keep the eyes/mouth black with that look.... meaning black could be added in the 90's along with the Shark fins. Just a few ideas & it allows the Gladiators to add more green down the road, something fans/nostalgia nerds will riot for as the 50's set is associated with winning. 

Also, make sure the arm stripes match the socks/pants. All 3 are different right now, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Either that or keep them in Orange/Maroon due to budget constraints. 

MBurmy    428
4 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I love the Blue/Charcoal...... but how about using a Silver with the shade of Blue from that set? Think a mix between Lions & Cowboys.... as Sharks are silver, not Black/Charcoal. This would allow for a silver shell for the helmet... and I'd keep the eyes/mouth black with that look.... meaning black could be added in the 90's along with the Shark fins. Just a few ideas & it allows the Gladiators to add more green down the road, something fans/nostalgia nerds will riot for as the 50's set is associated with winning. 

Silver and blue would look too much like the Guardians of Cincinnati:

1978_cincinnati_guardians_uniform_by_ver

MBurmy    428
6 hours ago, Steelman said:

The orange/blue seems like the most logical color switch to me. I'm a fan of the orange/red scheme, but not for a Jersey team named the Sharks. Orange and Blue is extremely New York historically (Cooper's ploy at getting some NY fans over?) and with the Imperials nearby it seems odd to put even more red on a uniform after the move, despite the different shade.

Couldn't you stick with an orange helmet and make the shark mouth blue? That would also seem like a logical carryover from Buffalo. Then in 10 years, like you said, they can drop the orange to a third color and hit up the black like everyone else. I'm not even sure if you need to go that bright with the orange yet-- that seems like a more modern shade to me. Perhaps a slight brightening of Buffalo orange in combination with a blue would be a good bet. Lots of good ideas here. That orange/red scheme should def be saved for a future expansion/relocation team.

I like how you think...orange shell, blue jersey, orange (or blue) pants...just like my HS alma mater!

Darknes    133
39 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

I like how you think...orange shell, blue jersey, orange (or blue) pants...just like my HS alma mater!

Only problem with that is then they look too much like the Houston Hurricanes, I'd go and claim the Blue and Charcoal as their own scheme early on.

Dan O'Mac    192

The blue/charcoal is the best look of them. I'd maybe go blue/black, and bring it to a gray/charcoal after the BFBS fad winds down a bit, and the gray becomes more of a thing.

KittSmith_95    628
1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

Silver and blue would look too much like the Guardians of Cincinnati:

1978_cincinnati_guardians_uniform_by_ver

Not if the shades are distinct from one another. I mean, does anyone confuse the Cowboys & Lions with each other? 

MBurmy    428
15 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Not if the shades are distinct from one another. I mean, does anyone confuse the Cowboys & Lions with each other? 

If the Cowboys wore their blue jerseys at home, some might.

Jimmy Lethal    242

Blue/charcoal gets my vote, personally.

eick74    75

It is becoming harder and harder to find new color schemes that work for this era that are not infringing on another teams color scheme. I like the current Stampeders/Sharks color scheme. It makes sense keeping the old color scheme for a little while.

I wonder how the Sharks would look with a Double Blue color scheme like the Titans. Keep the Stampeders orange as an accent color and maybe added Sharkskin Grey as a color as well (RGB 131,132,135)

JH42XCC    44

My vote for the NJ Sharks color option goes to Orange/Blue