Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1986 Postseason: Quarterfinals)

JH42XCC    44

Congrats, I say, to the Guardians for bringing home a professional championship to Cincinnati -- something the real world Bengals haven't done yet.

Side note: I hope the Imperials break their AFA Championship drought next season.

Jimmy Lethal    242

...oh, huh, I haven't laughed at Atlanta yet. HAHAHAHAHAHA GET BLOWN TRAITORS

Red Comet    35
15 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

The Miami Suns: The AFA's Lolcow!!!

But a well deserved win for Cincy, but the KC Crow Express is charging hard, lets see if we can do it.

I love UrinatingTree too, but I can't help but think of a picture where the guy running the Suns is pointing out to nowhere in particular saying "Go Suns! Go out and choke to the extreme!" while a player wearing a Suns uniform says "I will, thank you owner!" 

Don't know how that picture entered my mind. Anyway, I hope the Crows get back into contention too, but it seems like the Central could be stacked next year what with Colorado and Minnesota still being competitive and now Milwaukee looking like they can actually field a team that won't die. And this is without considering what the Aces have up their sleeve. Things are going to get interesting next year, that's for certain.

Veras    428

Quick note - DeviantArt user TGArtworks pointed out a math error in the Victory Bowl.  I had credited the Guardians with 35 points when they actually scored only 34.  I mistakenly credited them with 8 points on their final touchdown when simulating the scoring summary, and didn't catch it when I made the graphics.  I thank him for pointing this out.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:17 AM, Darknes said:

I hope Boston has a chance to get some more talent somehow, just felt like we couldn't match up against any of the final 4

Actually, I'd say that they really would be competitive against that group.  The Guardians are head and shoulders above the rest of the league right now, so it was bad luck that the Caps drew them in the quarterfinals.  If they had managed to win that game, they would have faced Atlanta in the semis, and AFA Magazine would have put the odds at basically 50-50.  They would have been slight favorites over California, and slight underdogs to Cleveland (despite the fact that they have defeated the Ghosts in Boston two years in a row). 

They might not get as much hype as other teams, but they're legitimate Victory Bowl contenders now.

On 8/18/2017 at 0:24 PM, DNAsports said:

I am heavily biased towards New Orleans, but man if the Cleveland Ghosts were a real team I would buy the purple jersey instantly. Simply beautiful. I was also thinking about how much Cleveland would benefit from white pants instead of grey.

They're unlikely to move away from the grey.  They wore just purple and white for a long time, and I added the grey during their last logo change to act as an intermediate step toward when they will inevitably go BFBS in the early 1990s.  Obviously, that's not how the team would justify the change, but I'm going to keep it because I know where I want them to go in the future, and this helps provide a natural progression.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, JH42XCC said:

Congrats, I say, to the Guardians for bringing home a professional championship to Cincinnati -- something the real world Bengals haven't done yet.

Side note: I hope the Imperials break their AFA Championship drought next season.

It would be pretty interesting to see a Cincinnati - New York Victory Bowl.

There are some pretty weird parallels between that rivalry in the 1940s and today.  To start with, the teams have the best quarterbacks in the league - in the 40s, it was Charlie Kadlec (NY) and Wendell RIdley (CIN) as opposed to Ron Adams and Reggie Hart.  Interestingly, Kadlec and Adams were/are definite pocket passers, while Ridley and Hart were/are known for their incredible athleticism.  As was the case in the 1940s, the Cincinnati squad is probably more talented, but New York could definitely win if they play well.

On 8/18/2017 at 2:42 PM, Red Comet said:

I love UrinatingTree too, but I can't help but think of a picture where the guy running the Suns is pointing out to nowhere in particular saying "Go Suns! Go out and choke to the extreme!" while a player wearing a Suns uniform says "I will, thank you owner!" 

Don't know how that picture entered my mind. Anyway, I hope the Crows get back into contention too, but it seems like the Central could be stacked next year what with Colorado and Minnesota still being competitive and now Milwaukee looking like they can actually field a team that won't die. And this is without considering what the Aces have up their sleeve. Things are going to get interesting next year, that's for certain.

Hopefully, in the next few weeks we'll be able to get a good idea of the league's haplessness rankings.  I'm finally putting together a database that will allow me to instantly tally up all-time records, including series records between specific teams.  Creating the database is a pain - I have to manually enter the results of every AFA game ever played - but I think it will be worth it in the end.

As for the Crows, a lot will depend on how well Greg Benham plays.  He was hurt several times this year, and looked very uncomfortable when he was on the field.  If his confidence doesn't bounce back, the team isn't going to be in trouble.  The Central Division is probably the league's most difficult to predict.  St. Louis and Milwaukee are very inexperienced teams, and will probably continue to be mediocre at best unless some of their young players really step up (which isn't implausible).  Colorado and Milwaukee are in the opposite situation - they've been dominant for a long time, but the rosters are full of guys in their 30s, and at some point both will fall off.

Colorado or Minnesota will probably win it, but it's not crazy to think that any of the five teams could win the division or end up in the cellar.

DNAsports    510
15 hours ago, Veras said:

They're unlikely to move away from the grey.  They wore just purple and white for a long time, and I added the grey during their last logo change to act as an intermediate step toward when they will inevitably go BFBS in the early 1990s.  Obviously, that's not how the team would justify the change, but I'm going to keep it because I know where I want them to go in the future, and this helps provide a natural progression.

Awhile ago I was thinking that New Orleans could go BFBS. Introduce an all black uniform as the "Voodoo Alternate" or "French Quarter Alternate". Replace the logo face with a skull or creepier looking face.

KittSmith_95    628

I can't see the Krewe adding black..... I can see them replacing Yellow with Gold however, ala St. Louis Rams. 

Looks like the comets are gonna have another bad year again. Hopefully they get someone good in this year's draft

On 20/08/2017 at 10:21 AM, Veras said:

Quick note - DeviantArt user TGArtworks pointed out a math error in the Victory Bowl.  I had credited the Guardians with 35 points when they actually scored only 34.  I mistakenly credited them with 8 points on their final touchdown when simulating the scoring summary, and didn't catch it when I made the graphics.  I thank him for pointing this out.

Actually, I'd say that they really would be competitive against that group.  The Guardians are head and shoulders above the rest of the league right now, so it was bad luck that the Caps drew them in the quarterfinals.  If they had managed to win that game, they would have faced Atlanta in the semis, and AFA Magazine would have put the odds at basically 50-50.  They would have been slight favorites over California, and slight underdogs to Cleveland (despite the fact that they have defeated the Ghosts in Boston two years in a row). 

They might not get as much hype as other teams, but they're legitimate Victory Bowl contenders now.

It would be pretty interesting to see a Cincinnati - New York Victory Bowl.

There are some pretty weird parallels between that rivalry in the 1940s and today.  To start with, the teams have the best quarterbacks in the league - in the 40s, it was Charlie Kadlec (NY) and Wendell RIdley (CIN) as opposed to Ron Adams and Reggie Hart.  Interestingly, Kadlec and Adams were/are definite pocket passers, while Ridley and Hart were/are known for their incredible athleticism.  As was the case in the 1940s, the Cincinnati squad is probably more talented, but New York could definitely win if they play well.

Hopefully, in the next few weeks we'll be able to get a good idea of the league's haplessness rankings.  I'm finally putting together a database that will allow me to instantly tally up all-time records, including series records between specific teams.  Creating the database is a pain - I have to manually enter the results of every AFA game ever played - but I think it will be worth it in the end.

As for the Crows, a lot will depend on how well Greg Benham plays.  He was hurt several times this year, and looked very uncomfortable when he was on the field.  If his confidence doesn't bounce back, the team isn't going to be in trouble.  The Central Division is probably the league's most difficult to predict.  St. Louis and Milwaukee are very inexperienced teams, and will probably continue to be mediocre at best unless some of their young players really step up (which isn't implausible).  Colorado and Milwaukee are in the opposite situation - they've been dominant for a long time, but the rosters are full of guys in their 30s, and at some point both will fall off.

Colorado or Minnesota will probably win it, but it's not crazy to think that any of the five teams could win the division or end up in the cellar.

Thank you for crediting me (I am TGArtworks by the way) and keep up the spectacular work Veras! I am excited to see more of it and how each team evolves over time! I have finally decided to join Sportslogos.net this time.

Cardsblues02    83

I just finished reading this whole thread! (Took 4 days) Spectacular work. The detail is great, and the thought you put into this is magnificent. I will definitely be following this thread extremely closely from now on!

Go Seattle! 

Veras    428

The first team to modify their look over the 1986 offseason was the Minnesota Angels.  They updated their look from a crew neck to a v-neck, and made a few other minor changes as well.  The most significant was a move to brighter colors.  They also switched from a white facemask to a dark blue one.

Old Uniform:

1978_minnesota_angels_uniform_by_verasth

New Uniform:

1986_minnesota_angels_by_verasthebrujah-

Recolored Logo:

Cardsblues02    83
3 hours ago, Veras said:

The first team to modify their look over the 1986 offseason was the Minnesota Angels.  They updated their look from a crew neck to a v-neck, and made a few other minor changes as well.  The most significant was a move to brighter colors.  They also switched from a white facemask to a dark blue one.

Old Uniform:

1978_minnesota_angels_uniform_by_verasth

New Uniform:

Recolored Logo:

Nice update. Would have loved to see some gold though...Still a great job.

Dan O'Mac    192

I like the addition of the NOB on the helmet, and I like the new colors. As nothing else changed, it's safe to say I like the update.

Veras    428
On 8/20/2017 at 11:57 AM, DNAsports said:

Awhile ago I was thinking that New Orleans could go BFBS. Introduce an all black uniform as the "Voodoo Alternate" or "French Quarter Alternate". Replace the logo face with a skull or creepier looking face.

A black alternate isn't out of the question, but I really doubt that the Krewe would ever use black in a regular uniform.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:05 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

I can't see the Krewe adding black..... I can see them replacing Yellow with Gold however, ala St. Louis Rams. 

This, on the other hand is possible.  I've considered it, but it hasn't ever felt right.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:59 PM, CheeseBurger22 said:

Looks like the comets are gonna have another bad year again. Hopefully they get someone good in this year's draft

They've got some tough years ahead for sure, but they'll almost certainly be better next season than they have over the past two.  They would love to get Georgia Tech QB Bruce Rankins, but he is all but guaranteed to go to Arizona at number 1.  That will leave Iowa's Andy Stough as their most likely pick, and even though he doesn't exactly project to become a superstar, he is almost certainly an improvement over last year's starter, Will Douglass.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:05 AM, Goran The Man said:

Thank you for crediting me (I am TGArtworks by the way) and keep up the spectacular work Veras! I am excited to see more of it and how each team evolves over time! I have finally decided to join Sportslogos.net this time.

Welcome aboard!

11 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I just finished reading this whole thread! (Took 4 days) Spectacular work. The detail is great, and the thought you put into this is magnificent. I will definitely be following this thread extremely closely from now on!

Go Seattle! 

Nice update. Would have loved to see some gold though...Still a great job.

As long as this thread has gotten, I'm surprised both that there are still people willing to start from the beginning, and that you got through it that quickly.  Out of curiosity, did you read the entire thread, or just the history on Google Drive?

As for Minnesota - I doubt that they will ever have gold on their uniform.  The color appears in the logo to provide a bit of contrast, but it isn't considered an official team color.  I did look at making the halo on the helmet gold, but with the helmet being so light, another light color didn't look very good.

DNAsports    510

I've never really been a fan of the Angels helmet, but if it's here to stay I'll learn to appreciate it. Always love the use of double blue.

Veras    428
17 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Noticed you said the Angels were the first team to get a uniform update. Who are the others?

There will be three in total.  The Pittsburgh Miners will make an even smaller uniform change than the Angels did, while the Washington Wasps will undergo a full overhaul.  I actually meant to post Pittsburgh and Minnesota together, since neither one was particularly radical, but I forgot to do so.  Washington's new look is probably pretty predictable, but it's out there enough that I wanted to take an extra day or two to sit on it before making the post.  Incidentally, here is Pittsburgh's new look.

Old Uniform:

1978_pittsburgh_miners_uniform_by_verast

New Uniform:

1986_pittsburgh_miners_uniform_by_verast

At first glance, the changes are small.  They switched the pants from grey to white and added a stripe, as well as going from black shoes/black argyle socks to white/white with the traditional sleeve stripe (I also messed with the location of the name and number on the back, but that's just because I had the number too low before).  However, some are reading a symbolic meaning into changing the socks.  Prior 1949, the team wore jerseys that were basically just argyle sweaters with numbers on them, a look that they abandoned when they moved to Pittsburgh.  Krause always loved the argyle, so much so that when he was hired by the Miners in 1955, he began wearing a black and grey argyle sweater on the sidelines during most games.  In 1972, the team started wearing argyle socks and sleeve stripes in preseason games, basically in Krause's honor, and they started wearing the socks full time in 1978.

Some are speculating that the change is the team's subtle way of distancing themselves from Krause to soften the ground for if and when they go through an ugly breakup with a living legend in the next few years.

11 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I've never really been a fan of the Angels helmet, but if it's here to stay I'll learn to appreciate it. Always love the use of double blue.

I thought about switching the entire halo to dark blue to get better contrast against the now lighter helmet, but it was kind of dull.  I might make it a bit wider at some point in the future.

9 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

I read the thread. With it being a long weekend due to Hurricane Harvey, yet still having power, I have devoted lots of time to reading it the past couple of days

Wow.  That's a pretty impressive amount of reading over a few days.  Last spring, I was curious how much I had written for the AFA, so I threw every word document in my narrative folder, and it was about 200 pages.  That doesn't include anything from before 1961, nor any charts, graphics, or descriptions thereof.

Anyway, I hope you're staying safe and dry if you're stuck in the hurricane.

KittSmith_95    628

NO MORE ARGYLE? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? 

The Miners using the argyle socks has been their specific thing for eons now & I've always wanted to see the argyle be used more broadly personally. Going to traditional striping for the Miners makes sense, but embracing the argyle makes even more sense. 

MBurmy    428
1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

NO MORE ARGYLE? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? 

The Miners using the argyle socks has been their specific thing for eons now & I've always wanted to see the argyle be used more broadly personally. Going to traditional striping for the Miners makes sense, but embracing the argyle makes even more sense. 

They'll probably go back to it sometime in the 90's/early 2000s.

ChicagoOakland    374

Krause better die on the sidelines because this situation isn't looking good for him if he doesn't.