Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1986 Postseason: Quarterfinals)

8 hours ago, Veras said:

There will be three in total.  The Pittsburgh Miners will make an even smaller uniform change than the Angels did, while the Washington Wasps will undergo a full overhaul.  I actually meant to post Pittsburgh and Minnesota together, since neither one was particularly radical, but I forgot to do so.  Washington's new look is probably pretty predictable, but it's out there enough that I wanted to take an extra day or two to sit on it before making the post.  Incidentally, here is Pittsburgh's new look.

Old Uniform:

1978_pittsburgh_miners_uniform_by_verast

New Uniform:

1986_pittsburgh_miners_uniform_by_verast

At first glance, the changes are small.  They switched the pants from grey to white and added a stripe, as well as going from black shoes/black argyle socks to white/white with the traditional sleeve stripe (I also messed with the location of the name and number on the back, but that's just because I had the number too low before).  However, some are reading a symbolic meaning into changing the socks.  Prior 1949, the team wore jerseys that were basically just argyle sweaters with numbers on them, a look that they abandoned when they moved to Pittsburgh.  Krause always loved the argyle, so much so that when he was hired by the Miners in 1955, he began wearing a black and grey argyle sweater on the sidelines during most games.  In 1972, the team started wearing argyle socks and sleeve stripes in preseason games, basically in Krause's honor, and they started wearing the socks full time in 1978.

Some are speculating that the change is the team's subtle way of distancing themselves from Krause to soften the ground for if and when they go through an ugly breakup with a living legend in the next few years.

Very interesting decision for Pittsburgh to replace the grey pants with white - some tradition is broken by the team (unless prior to 1946 the Wheeling Miners did wear white pants at any point in their history, but that's what we don't know). Out of curiosity, is Krause's argyle sweater popular amongst Miners fans that they have been sold commercially like Ditka's Bears sweaters in real life?

JD1500    1

The Minnesota change is subtle, but the uniform looks very crisp with the brighter colors.  In terms of Pittsburgh, I like the story around the departure from the argyle, but at least for the all-white road uniform perhaps a full dark gray sock provides for some separation between the jersey, pants and cleats? 

Cardsblues02    83
26 minutes ago, JD1500 said:

The Minnesota change is subtle, but the uniform looks very crisp with the brighter colors.  In terms of Pittsburgh, I like the story around the departure from the argyle, but at least for the all-white road uniform perhaps a full dark gray sock provides for some separation between the jersey, pants and cleats? 

I think that the all white uniform gives them a good, more modern look.

Dan O'Mac    192

I assume Krause still wears an argyle sweater on the sidelines, and become a signature, like out universe's Ditka and the Bears sweater?

The new updates look good so far. The Angels brighter scheme is a nice update. I'm surprised that a team like Pittsburgh would make some pretty significant changes. I expect they will go back to gray pants and the argyle socks. It is just surprising to see them get away from that look. Kind of like the Giants when they went to white pants and got rid of the ny on their helmets and replaced it with GIANTS.

CodeG    60

RIP argyle socks 

Veras    428

The biggest logo and uniform change of 1986 belonged to the Washington Wasps.  The Wasps have had a pretty dated look for quite some time, but they won three titles in four years between 1975 and 1978 - right at the time they were leaning toward an overhaul.  Not wanting to mess with their luck, they held off, but now they're one of the worst teams in the league (for example, it's entirely likely that none of the team's 1985 QBs will return this year).  With that in mind, they're finally pulling the trigger.

Old Logos:

1965_washington_wasps_visual_identity_by

New Logos:

1986_washington_wasps_by_verasthebrujah-

The same wasp (Winston) is still clearly present, but his look has changed considerably.  Instead of flying straight forward, he is now attacking.  The outline is thicker, especially in the wings, and the yellow is a lot brighter (I picked the shade from the Rams of the same era).  The DC alternate makes a return, but with the weird, candy cane bug replaced by the new primary.  The wordmark letters are all based on the hexagon shape of a wasp nest honeycomb.

My concerns:  the primary looks a lot better than before, but it's not exactly original.  It resembles the Charlotte Hornets alternate and the Yellow Jackets logo from when Madden had a Create-a-Team.  I went with it anyway because it's a natural evolution from the old logo.  I'm also wondering if the alternate and wordmark are legible.

Old Uniform:

1978_washington_wasps_uniform_by_verasth

New Uniform:

This look is something I've always intended to do with the Wasps.  I'm just not totally sure that there is enough difference between this look and the Bengals.

Cardsblues02    83

Dont change a thing! This update is great! The primary does resemble the Hornets logo, but is different enough. The DC logo is really nice, almost a classic IMO. The woodmark is cool too! Aside from my Grizzlies, these are definitely my second favorite logos in the AFA. 

Steelman    95

Heck yes to the Wasps! Honestly was not expecting that when I scrolled down, but definitely surprised in a good way. Fantastic bold new look for the team.

I really dig the primary and secondary logos. (especially the secondary, the interlocking thing looks way better now)

The wordmark is the only part I think falls short. I could tolerate the WASPS in that font, but I'd change the Washington to something more legible at smaller weights. First thought (just being honest!) was the W in Wasps looks like it was giving the middle finger.  The font feels a little too 90's digital to me, I think I'd make it heavier and little more squared instead.

Jerseys are fantastic. Just a super sharp look that I was not expecting. I actually didn't think Bengals first, I thought about the Miami Suns first, so I think the look is different enough from both to stand on its own.

Cardsblues02    83
23 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Heck yes to the Wasps! Honestly was not expecting that when I scrolled down, but definitely surprised in a good way. Fantastic bold new look for the team.

I really dig the primary and secondary logos. (especially the secondary, the interlocking thing looks way better now)

The wordmark is the only part I think falls short. I could tolerate the WASPS in that font, but I'd change the Washington to something more legible at smaller weights. First thought (just being honest!) was the W in Wasps looks like it was giving the middle finger.  The font feels a little too 90's digital to me, I think I'd make it heavier and little more squared instead.

Jerseys are fantastic. Just a super sharp look that I was not expecting. I actually didn't think Bengals first, I thought about the Miami Suns first, so I think the look is different enough from both to stand on its own.

I agree with the secondary logo being much better. Looks so mich better than the candy cane wasp slug DC logo. Again, nice job.

Veras    428
On 8/27/2017 at 8:36 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

NO MORE ARGYLE? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? 

The Miners using the argyle socks has been their specific thing for eons now & I've always wanted to see the argyle be used more broadly personally. Going to traditional striping for the Miners makes sense, but embracing the argyle makes even more sense. 

Actually, they really haven't worn argyle for as long as you think.  They moved to Pittsburgh in 1949, abandoning the look when they did so, and didn't bring it back until 1972 (for preseason only) and 1978 for regular use.  That's 8 seasons out of the last 38.  Plus, by Pittsburgh's standard, they've played poorly while wearing argyle.  This season will mark 10 years since their last Victory Bowl trip, by far the worst run of Krause's career.

That being said, @MBurmy is probably right.  They'll almost certainly go back to it at some point.  I plan on running the series through 2020, at which point Krause would be 103.  He'll eventually leave the team, and even if it's not under the best of terms, the Miners will undoubtedly honor him somehow after his death.  Argyle seems like a reasonable way to do it.

22 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Krause better die on the sidelines because this situation isn't looking good for him if he doesn't.

Yeah, he's always said that he'll retire when he's dead.  It's almost impossible to imagine him being fired, but you never know.

16 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

Very interesting decision for Pittsburgh to replace the grey pants with white - some tradition is broken by the team (unless prior to 1946 the Wheeling Miners did wear white pants at any point in their history, but that's what we don't know). Out of curiosity, is Krause's argyle sweater popular amongst Miners fans that they have been sold commercially like Ditka's Bears sweaters in real life?

10 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I assume Krause still wears an argyle sweater on the sidelines, and become a signature, like out universe's Ditka and the Bears sweater?

Yes, it's a pretty popular look, though unlike Ditka, his sweater isn't team branded.  He's actually one of the few coaches in the league that still wears formalwear, usually a white collared shirt with a dark tie under the sweater.  The other thing that he is well-known for is smoking a pipe on the sideline, even though the league made him give that up in 1969.  Still, the Miners went to the Victory Bowl 6 times between 1958 and 1969, so a lot of the earliest Victory Bowl footage includes quite a few cuts of Krause puffing on his big, Sherlock Holmes style pipe on the sideline.

11 hours ago, JD1500 said:

I looked at doing that for the Miners, but I just don't like the look very much.  Instead of creating balance, it just looks out of place.

6 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

just noticed this thread. Your work is incredible and I love the stories behind it all angels and miners new jerseys look good. can't wait for the wasps!

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I hope you keep coming back, especially for the expansion councils.

3 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

The new updates look good so far. The Angels brighter scheme is a nice update. I'm surprised that a team like Pittsburgh would make some pretty significant changes. I expect they will go back to gray pants and the argyle socks. It is just surprising to see them get away from that look. Kind of like the Giants when they went to white pants and got rid of the ny on their helmets and replaced it with GIANTS.

Actually, that is exactly the change I was thinking of when I decided to tweak Pittsburgh.  For most teams, a change like this would barely even be noticed, but they've had so much success that it's still kind of a big deal.

27 minutes ago, Steelman said:

My wife said the same thing about the W looking like a middle finger.

I originally wanted to make the resemblance to the honeycomb a bit stronger.

1986-Wasps-W.png.1eab49b8276fcc0fe8a48b884191c7d7.png

I really like this - it doesn't have the middle finger problem, and it includes the Washington monument, but I just couldn't get the other letters to work using this pattern.  They ranged from awkward (the A) to downright stupid-looking (the S).  I suppose I could go to something more basic, maybe even stick with Mangal, the font that they used before:

Wasps-Wordmark-Option.png.c1a3a14642876a3c90ed3c159a344dd0.png

The wordmark was the part of the set that I was least happy with, and it was partly because I thought that it looked too modern.  Sticking with something basic might be best for now, anyway.  After all, the Bengals stuck with a really simple wordmark when they adopted the tiger stripes in the early 1970s, and that was way more radical than this is compared to the time.

As for thinking that they look more like the Suns than the Bengals - the color change must have had a lot to do with that.  I did these designs in the old color scheme, and as soon as I put in the stripes, the gold looked really orange, which is part of the reason that I changed it.  Maybe it's one of those things where once you see it, you can't unsee it.

4 hours ago, Veras said:

The biggest logo and uniform change of 1986 belonged to the Washington Wasps.  The Wasps have had a pretty dated look for quite some time, but they won three titles in four years between 1975 and 1978 - right at the time they were leaning toward an overhaul.  Not wanting to mess with their luck, they held off, but now they're one of the worst teams in the league (for example, it's entirely likely that none of the team's 1985 QBs will return this year).  With that in mind, they're finally pulling the trigger.

Old Logos:

New Logos:

The same wasp (Winston) is still clearly present, but his look has changed considerably.  Instead of flying straight forward, he is now attacking.  The outline is thicker, especially in the wings, and the yellow is a lot brighter (I picked the shade from the Rams of the same era).  The DC alternate makes a return, but with the weird, candy cane bug replaced by the new primary.  The wordmark letters are all based on the hexagon shape of a wasp nest honeycomb.

My concerns:  the primary looks a lot better than before, but it's not exactly original.  It resembles the Charlotte Hornets alternate and the Yellow Jackets logo from when Madden had a Create-a-Team.  I went with it anyway because it's a natural evolution from the old logo.  I'm also wondering if the alternate and wordmark are legible.

Old Uniform:

New Uniform:

This look is something I've always intended to do with the Wasps.  I'm just not totally sure that there is enough difference between this look and the Bengals.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaas! This is awesome. 

MBurmy    428

AWESOME rebrand...and I, for one, LOVE the wordmark!  As I've been saying again and again on this thread, PLEASE don't be afraid to innovate because it may look "too modern"...in this timeline, maybe these things became trends earlier?

If that wordmark gets scrapped, please promise me that we're gonna see something like it by the 2010s...

5 hours ago, Veras said:

Old Logos:

New Logos:

Old Uniform:

New Uniform:

These Washington Wasps jerseys look awesome that these are nothing short of legendary! These sleeves are the bomb and I could see Wasps fans loving these jerseys that they sell out very fast! The helmet is awesome and it is executed perfectly!

About the designed font - I think it's a little too modern for the 80s: it's still a really good font with its thoughts and symbolism and I think you should adopt it further in the timeline when it advances, but I think fonts weren't digitalised like that in the 80s, so the old font may stay for a while (unless that is a premature sign of BFBS).

Cardsblues02    83
8 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

These Washington Wasps jerseys look awesome that these are nothing short of legendary! These sleeves are the bomb and I could see Wasps fans loving these jerseys that they sell out very fast! The helmet is awesome and it is executed perfectly!

About the designed font - I think it's a little too modern for the 80s: it's still a really good font with its thoughts and symbolism and I think you should adopt it further in the timeline when it advances, but I think fonts weren't digitalised like that in the 80s, so the old font may stay for a while (unless that is a premature sign of BFBS).

Personally I think that the font came at the exact right time. It screams late eighties to me. And the wasps wont be going BFBS, because black is in thier scheme.