Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1988 Semifinals)

If somebody wants to PM me something, I'd take a look, but it's something that I put in the same category as Victory Bowl Halftime Shows.  It isn't an aspect of the NFL that I care about, and I'm not interested in putting any real time or effort into it, given how incredibly time-consuming the project as a whole is.

The only AFA mascot-related thing I would care about is if the Detroit Gladiator and the Atlanta Rebel had a duel to the death.

Throw in the Chicago Butcher for a little bit more excitement/a way to dispose of the loser.

Wouldn’t an Imperial-Rebel Star Wars themed duel be better?

3 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Oh, I can only imagine what a New Orleans Krewe mascot would look like. 

tumblr_nfq0d7LaXt1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Seen here in Lake Pontchartrain.

30 minutes ago, Veras said:

Wouldn’t an Imperial-Rebel Star Wars themed duel be better?

A live look at the Rebels descending on the Imperials' turf...

1447514742-0.jpg

@Veras Do the Imperials share the Meadowlands with the Sharks, or do they have their own stadium in NYC proper?

So we get silver helmet/pants with the new purple/green color scheme ? 

On 11/27/2017 at 11:06 PM, neo_prankster said:

A live look at the Rebels descending on the Imperials' turf...

[snip]

@Veras Do the Imperials share the Meadowlands with the Sharks, or do they have their own stadium in NYC proper?

We can get the Destroyers in on this, too.

The Imperials have a stadium in the Bronx called the Imperial Coliseum, and the Sharks play at the Futuredome, which is an unreliable, retractable-roof stadium in East Rutherford.

1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

So we get silver helmet/pants with the new purple/green color scheme ? 

I haven't decided yet.  I've gone back and forth, but I'm leaning toward switching the silver to white.  Having two cool colors along with the silver makes it feel a little muted.  I think I have a version that is ready to post, but I want to sit on it a little longer first.

Veras, as someone who is from Houston, I think the name you chose for our franchise is all too fitting (but I love it). I have not followed the AFA for all that long so I was wondering how you got inspiration for the logo they use currently. I was wondering if there is some hidden meaning or if it really is just a few Hs stacked on top of each other.

Also, any idea when there will be expansion? I’m assuming not for a while, as it was only a decade ago Tampa and KC joined. Just wondering.

when do we get to see the reapers? and the rest of the USFA for that matter

On 11/30/2017 at 8:55 PM, Veras said:

The Imperials have a stadium in the Bronx called the Imperial Coliseum, and the Sharks play at the Futuredome, which is an unreliable, retractable-roof stadium in East Rutherford.

Unreliable, as in "Montreal Olympic Stadium" unreliable?

Veras, when every identity is released for the USFA teams, will you briefly sum up the USFA results and what happened? Will whoever wins the USFA be mentioned in the same post as the regular season results?

P.S. I can't wait to see how the 1988 season turns out. Who will fare the best - someone expected or unexpected?

Apologies for the hiatus.  Here are the reworked Florida Swamp Monsters

1988_florida_swamp_monsters_logo_by_vera

1988_florida_swamp_monsters_uniform_by_v

On 12/3/2017 at 5:14 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

Veras, as someone who is from Houston, I think the name you chose for our franchise is all too fitting (but I love it). I have not followed the AFA for all that long so I was wondering how you got inspiration for the logo they use currently. I was wondering if there is some hidden meaning or if it really is just a few Hs stacked on top of each other.

Also, any idea when there will be expansion? I’m assuming not for a while, as it was only a decade ago Tampa and KC joined. Just wondering.

The Hurricanes were part of the first expansion, which means that it was one of the very first logos that I did in Illustrator (I did the original 12 in Photoshop, before realizing that it wasn't the best program for what I was and am doing).  When I first started, my though process wasn't as detailed, so their story is pretty simple.  I chose blue and orange because it's a fairly common color scheme that wasn't represented in the league (in fact, if I recall correctly, nobody wore orange at all).  For the early logos, I usually designed them with the goal of learning to use a specific tool.  In the case of Houston's original (1952) logo, that was the swirl tool in Illustrator.  I dropped the text in a 1958 update, but for the most part the team's logo had been the same since before they joined the AFA.  I wanted to give them a fresh, modern uniform at the beginning of the 1980s, and ultimately decided to do an entirely new logo as well.

The inspiration for the change is the New York Jets, who switched from their traditional logo in 1978, before eventually going back to a modern version of the original in 1998.  The Hurricanes will someday go back to a Hurricane shape, probably around the turn of the millennium.  The inspiration for the current design was the logo used by the Florida Gators from 1979-1994.

I expect the next expansion to come in the early to mid-1990s.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:11 PM, mkg74 said:

when do we get to see the reapers? and the rest of the USFA for that matter

Once I finish this post, I'll proofread the writeup and verify that I don't want to make any last-minute changes to Oklahoma, and then I'll post again.

On 12/13/2017 at 10:45 AM, JH42XCC said:

Unreliable, as in "Montreal Olympic Stadium" unreliable?

That was the inspiration for the Futuredome, yes.  Well, that and Pittsburgh's Civic Arena.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:34 PM, Goran The Man said:

Veras, when every identity is released for the USFA teams, will you briefly sum up the USFA results and what happened? Will whoever wins the USFA be mentioned in the same post as the regular season results?

P.S. I can't wait to see how the 1988 season turns out. Who will fare the best - someone expected or unexpected?

The USFA writeup will resemble my early posts for the AFA.  It will just a few paragraphs, and will include the championship game in the same post.

Oklahoma Reapers

Owner:  Hank Lawler (64) is an oil magnate from Tulsa.  He was at one point a minority owner in the Texas Stallions, but sold his share after an unrelated business deal with primary owner Gus Detrich went south.  In Lawler’s mind, Detrich screwed him out of several million dollars in payments, and then forced him out of the Stallions organization.  While most USFA owners view their upstart league as a supplement to the AFA, Lawler wants it to be a competitor.

Stadium:  Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, home of the OU Sooners.  It seats 75,004 and has an Autoturf playing surface.

Notable Players:  The team signed former Sooner QB James Rhodes to lead the team.  Though he has had limited success in the AFA, playing stints with Miami, Arizona, and Pittsburgh (losing the job to a younger player each time), he still brings valuable professional experience to the table.  In fact, of the quarterbacks in the USFA, only Steve Parker has more professional starts to his name.  The Reapers signed several other players who were in their late 20s or early 30s, and had floundered in the AFA after successful college careers.  This means that the team will be one of the league’s most experienced, but could struggle, unless several risky prospects come through.

Logo and Colors:  The team will wear red and black.  Though Reapers is actually a reference to Oklahoma’s history as a wheat farming state, the logo depicts an abstract grim reaper.

1988_oklahoma_reapers_by_verasthebrujah-

Uniforms:  The uniforms are very dark, which has raised a lot of eyebrows given Oklahoma’s high average temperatures in the summer.

1988_oklahoma_reapers_uniform_by_verasth

EDIT:  I forgot the preview of the next team!

Here is the league as it currently stands.  With only three teams remaining, the San Jose Spiders will be up next.  I'd describe them as one of the more unusual-looking teams in the league, but they contrast that with a black and white color scheme.  They are also owned by two reader characters (there were two California bios, and I liked both too much to pass them up).

1988_usfa_team_logos_by_verasthebrujah-d

Good to see you back at it. I think the monsters are very much improved. The reapers look awesome . Perfect color scheme for them. 

6 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I would assume Oklahoma will be wearing their white uniforms for the majority of home games played.

Yes. In fact, they will try to switch to white pants midway through the season, but the league will overrule them.