Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1988 Semifinals)

46 minutes ago, RedfieldNick said:

Would u call it your Annual Playoff Jinxing?

yes, yes I would. I should just pick the teams I don't want to win, i.e. Aces and Hurricanes or Patriots and Eagles. But I never learn

Wow! That Cincinnati kicker must’ve walked home after that shank! Reminds me of the Minnesota/Seattle game a couple years ago. I’m glad to see two great franchises make a return to the VB. I’m cheering for the Aces, solely because I love their logo, but I’m just hoping for a classic game that we will talk about and reference for years to come! 

Both Semifinal Games wrong, so now 5-3 this postseason.

As for the final... I'm going Gladiators over the Aces.

8 hours ago, Veras said:

I'll think about it.  It's kind of messy right now with the divisions not being equal in size, so I might wait until the next expansion.  Or maybe I'll just post the USFA one, which is much neater.  Maybe I'll do the same thing with the player generation spreadsheet and the one that I use to progress players over time.  Those are both actually far more complicated than the gameplay one anyway.

I'm also interested in the player sheets.

Houston has the worst playoff luck, man. I was kinda hoping they'd avenge some of their awful playoff defeats, but alas. I believe the last playoff tree graphic is not updated, btw.

11 hours ago, CodeG said:

That St Louis vs Cincinnati game, dang, reminds me of that Vikings/Saints game. My predictions were a little wrong, I wanted that intra-divion VB, Aces and Detroit should be exciting. I personally cheering for the Aces since Detroit and Cleveland are in the same division

So my failure predictions are St Louis Spirits (wrong league) Aces over Detroit I-get-them-confused-with-Cincinnati Gladiator Guardians

I actually wrote it this over a month ago.  This was my actual inspiration:

10 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

Wow! That Cincinnati kicker must’ve walked home after that shank! Reminds me of the Minnesota/Seattle game a couple years ago. I’m glad to see two great franchises make a return to the VB. I’m cheering for the Aces, solely because I love their logo, but I’m just hoping for a classic game that we will talk about and reference for years to come! 

Let's just say that the Guardians will be holding kicker tryouts over the offseason.

10 hours ago, Red Comet said:

However this game goes, it’ll certainly be up there as one of the best looking Victory Bowls as far as the uniform designs go.

I've got to agree with you there.  These two teams together look better than either one individually.

5 hours ago, Steelman said:

I'm also interested in the player sheets.

I'll think about that, too.  My concern there is that I don't want to let readers look too far behind the curtain.

"Hey, my favorite team has way better players than that other team, why isn't our rating higher?"

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

This is more of a merchandise sales question, which team's jerseys would have the highest sales in this decade as the 80s come to a close?

Interesting question.  I hadn't really thought about it.  The Guardians would have dominated the latter part of the 1980s.  Reggie Hart is probably the league's most popular player, and Vic Meredith isn't far behind.  Colorado has been good through most of the decade, and they had a huge number of stars (Tom Blitz, Danny St. Mark, Justin Alexander, Bob Jonas, and Paulie May, to name a few).  The New York Imperials would probably be up there as well.  They have a large market, were pretty good, even if it didn't translate to Victory Bowl titles, and have a lot of prominent and popular players, with Ron Adams and Guy Vaciliis being the most obvious.

Obviously, the Crows and Bobcats would have sold a ton as well, since the franchises were created in 1980.  Likewise, the Wasps and Firebirds underwent significant redesigns, which would spur sales, though the lack of on-field success would hold them back.

I'd probably give the edge to Colorado as a team.

4 minutes ago, Raymie said:

"The Shank"! We have a playoff moment!

I was thinking "The Miss Heard 'Round the World"

Ricky de la Pena is currently seeking entry into the witness protection program.