Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1989 – 44th Victory Bowl)

4 hours ago, FlyingLamprey said:

I really like what @Steelman is going for with the more specific shark names, and Blacktips is really sticking with me.  Another shark species that wasn't mentioned would be the thresher shark - it could create a unique identity thanks to its tail fin and you get some good alliteration there (Tampa Bay Threshers or just Tampa Threshers?).  If you needed design inspiration, I'd look at what the FSL's Clearwater Threshers do.  As for Kansas City, that's tough.  I'm not crazy about the pioneer-related ideas, and while I really want a BBQ/American Royal theme, it's hard to come up with a good name based off of it.  The only thing that I can think of that no one else has mentioned is Longhorns, but it'd be really, really hard to figure out a way to make it not like UT-Austin.  If Philadelphia didn't have the Railers/if you thought that having two train teams was fine, I would absolutely take a look at one of my favorite series on here, @SFGiants58's NBA Project 32, which included a concept for the Kansas City Diesels, a train-themed team that uses black-yellow-red: 

Beyond all that, glad to see these two cities get expansion teams!  Looking forward to whatever designs you come up with, Veras!

I've mentioned Wranglers before as a potential name, and I think it works really well tying to Cowboy/Western/Cattle theme that you have with Kansas City.

27 minutes ago, FDW said:

I've mentioned Wranglers before as a potential name, and I think it works really well tying to Cowboy/Western/Cattle theme that you have with Kansas City.

Except that it's the name of Calgary's NFA team, and I don't think Veras nor ChrisClement really want AFA/NFA teams with the same name.

1 hour ago, MBurmy said:

Except that it's the name of Calgary's NFA team, and I don't think Veras nor ChrisClement really want AFA/NFA teams with the same name.

Oh crap, they do. I forgot about that. KCFT's name is turning out to be really tricky to figure out.

Here's my ideas for nicknames:

Kansas City

Beef

Angus

Hickory

Bulls

Herd

Tampa Bay

Blazers

Inferno

Rollers

First time responding to this thread in a while, but for Tampa Bay I would suggest Travelers. Why?Because Florida tends to be a hot destination for, well, Travelers.

You could actually go multiple ways with that... utilizing a compass, a boat/ship, or palm trees

Kansas City:

I just saw that the American Jazz museum is in KC, so maybe something along the lines of Jazz/Blues/Beats/Sounds. 

Also, the Toronto Raptors were named for Jurrasic Park. Top movie of 1979 was Alien, so that route is open. 

Tampa:

I love the sound of the Tampa Threshers. That's my favorite choice by far.

Anyways, loving the thread Veras keep up the excellent work!

I haven't been able to really follow this thread since my wife and I are expecting our son to arrive any day now! (Vera's I hope your wife is doing well!). I briefly looked over the suggested names so if I repeat I apologize, I'm not trying to take credit from someone else or beat a dead horse. 

I'm disappointed that Newark didn't make the cut, but maybe my boy Cooper will bring the stampeders down here to my neck of the woods! That'd be even better! 

Anyway as far as names I have seen suggestions of all types of genres from military, history to animals weather and food!

Here are my two cents...

For KC I say maybe the opposite of an outlaw, maybe Kansas City Marshals or Lawmen. A simple badge logo with crossed revolvers would look cool. A bbq theme is cool I can't think of a really good one other than maybe smokers? But that could make you think of cigarettes, not a message you want to send to the child fans...

Tampa, Sharks just jumps out at me just like everyone else! I like Hammerheads, Tigers (tiger shark), or the prehistoric Megladons! Something different... But I know your against the shark theme so what about the Tides or Riptides? Or Crocs? I'm a navy vet also and have a million military suggestions for Tampa but you don't want to many military names. So this is what I got. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be fine and I look forward to seeing what you come up with! 

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

First time responding to this thread in a while, but for Tampa Bay I would suggest Travelers. Why?Because Florida tends to be a hot destination for, well, Travelers.

You could actually go multiple ways with that... utilizing a compass, a boat/ship, or palm trees

Travelers sounds like a traveling team though...I'd stay away from that name.

Also just a note on the suggested Boars name, I had a team with that name in my league and whenever they stunk, which was a lot, everyone would call them the "Bores". I love the name though, not sure if that would happen in this league but just wanted to throw that out there.

For Team in Tampa Bay, for some reason I'm thinking the name Baymen aka the Tampa Baymen a little word play could go a long way

I don't think the BBQ related names for Kansas City are the best idea, they're too similar to the Chicago Butchers

3 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

For Team in Tampa Bay, for some reason I'm thinking the name Baymen aka the Tampa Baymen a little word play could go a long way

Tampa Bayhawks sounds pretty good too. But then again I think that and Baymen fall in line with names likes Hamilton Tiger-Cats which I think Veras tries to avoid.

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Tampa Bayhawks sounds pretty good too. But then again I think that and Baymen fall in line with names likes Hamilton Tiger-Cats which I think Veras tries to avoid.

Also, the name Baymen would just enable rival fans to substitute the B with a G.

As for my ideas...

Kansas City

- Twisters

- Bosses (Why not? I mean words like Boss and Chief are pretty much the same as Dude and Bro nowadays)

- Outlaws

- Cavalry

- Knights

- Crusaders

- Diesels

- Bullfrogs

- Sorcerers

Tampa Bay

- Bandits

- Barracudas

- Corsairs

- Stingrays

- Crocs

- Waves

Maybe Kansas City Missourians kind of like Houston Texans but showing which part of KC the games are in 

26 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Maybe Kansas City Missourians kind of like Houston Texans but showing which part of KC the games are in 

Not a bad idea, but a decent part of the Kansas City Metropolitan area is in Kansas. But considering one of the nicknames of Kansas City is the "Heart of America" because it is close to both the population center and geographic center of the United States, another possible nickname would be the Kansas City Americans

Whoops kinda forget that KC is also in Kansas too (don't judge, I know it's obvious)

I love the Bosses and Boars, but I feel Crows could be a good option. They'd be the first team that could really embrace black as their color, setting them apart from everyone else.

39 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I love the Bosses and Boars, but I feel Crows could be a good option. They'd be the first team that could really embrace black as their color, setting them apart from everyone else.

Basically the Ravens if Cleveland moved to Baltimore in the 80s? Sounds like a good concept to me. Maybe Smokies could be another choice? Most associate "Smokies" with the Tennessee Mountains, but it could also be used to embrace Kansas City BBQ. I'd say use "Smokers" but that's an entirely different discussion... For Smokies, use an angry looking pig face with smoke coming out of it's snout as a logo?