Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1989 – 44th Victory Bowl)

Way to go Angels!

Also, the write up for the Angels game says it was "very windy, sub-zero field conditions", but the image says it was "High 60s, Little Wind". Perhaps swapped with the Hurricanes-Gladiators matchup.

On 10/12/2017 at 10:00 AM, CodeG said:

Another one and done by the Ghosts even when they're the 3rd seed. Geez, we can't just rely on Ortuno, we need to trade some picks to get a good QB in the draft, or maybe that guy who may or may not be in Canada 

The quarterback class this year is garbage, maybe the worst ever.  Actually, it isn't a great year for offensive players in general.  There are a couple of highly-rated running backs, and several top-tier offensive lineman, but most of the premier prospects are on defense.  Cornerback is particularly deep.

The guy you're thinking of , Greg Benham, isn't in Canada.  I apparently deleted it from the regular-season writeup somehow, but Kansas City traded him to California three weeks into the regular season.

12 minutes ago, ItDoesntMatter said:

"High 60s, Little Wind"

Anyway, always good to see the Miners fall, and especially pumped for Guardians-Imperials next week. Hoping for a Houston-Cincinnati Victory Bowl.

12 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Way to go Angels!

Also, the write up for the Angels game says it was "very windy, sub-zero field conditions", but the image says it was "High 60s, Little Wind". Perhaps swapped with the Hurricanes-Gladiators matchup.

Thanks for pointing it out.  The writeup was correct, the graphic was wrong.  I forgot to change it from last year's postseason, where the third semifinal game was in Miami.  Very different weather conditions.

Cincinnati is essentially the Washington Capitals of the AFA. Always has a fantastic regular season, it always seems to be their year! Then they play a decent team and sneak past the division round. Then they lose in the semifinals. I expect nothing different here. 

Houston-NY Victory Bowl.

Every prediction I have made has rung true. Time to change it up though: 

Guardians of the Queen City get 41 years worth of revenge against the Imperials

Hurricanes beat the Angels in a quarterback duel. Hudson comes on top.

Also, what did the Crows get for Benham?

Jeez, Detroit. I don't think I've ever heard of a more heartbreaking way to lose a game, not even in other works of fiction.

Also, any day the Rebels lose is a good day to me. Thanks, big bro.

There is a scoring error - Atlanta's total was shown to be 13 when the description and quarter-by-quarter score totalled 17.

My predictions for the Victory Bowl matchup:

Cincinnati will play Minnesota.

NY wins, PIT loses! Everything is right in the world! That was one heartbreaking loss by Detroit.

On a side note, you always keep coming up with something new and exciting it seems during the post season. It could be hard to make these write ups interesting if they all seem the same. It could become repetitive and boring. But you always seem to find a way to throw in a curve ball that makes it interesting. Great work keeping me and many others hooked! I cant wait to see what the next round has in store. I'm hoping the NY/CIN game lives up to the hype with an Imperials victory!

Detroit's loss probably would be the most heartbreaking (though also possibly hilarious) way to lose a playoff game I've ever heard off if that ever happened in real life!  Excellent write up as always, looking forward to next year!

Looking at a Houston/New York Victory Bowl if I had to guess.  

87r3g1CINvsNY.png.c82bd81d520f4ff4f64cb5bfc5ca8cc7.png

The first quarter was largely uneventful.  The teams traded punts through most of the quarter, with each squad managing a single field goal.  However, the fireworks began 10 seconds into the second, when Reggie Hart threaded a perfect pass between the safeties for a 41-yard touchdown to speedster Stephon Lockett, giving the Guardians a 10-3 lead.  Less than 5 minutes later, rookie DT Ray Ray McLellan came up with a Sikai Afamasaga fumble, setting up the Guardians offense at the New York 24.  RB Jim Hill lost two yards on the next play, but on second down, Lockett got behind the safeties again, and Hart hit him for his second touchdown of the game.

The Imperials struck back near the end of the half.  Shortly after the two minute warning, Ron Adams found TE Rob House for an 11 yard touchdown.  The Guardians two-minute offense took the field, but with just under a minute to play, a pass bounced off the hands of WR Bill Alexander, and was picked off by LeRoy Jones.  Adams led the offense on a 46 yard touchdown drive, tying the game at 17 with a 6 yard pass to WR Martin Hutley.

The Guardians reestablished their dominance in the third with a pair of rushing touchdowns, one by Hill and the other by Hart.  Going into the fourth quarter down by 14, the Imperials came out with an aggressive game plan.  Facing 4th and 6 from the Cincinnati 17 five minutes into the quarter, Adams and the offense stayed on the field.  The gamble paid off, as House came down with an 8 yard reception for the first down.  Two plays later, Sikai Afamasaga was wrapped up a few yards short of the end zone, but extended his arms over the goal line to make it a one-score game.

With just under 4 minutes on the clock, future hall of fame safety Guy Vacilis made a diving pick on an overthrown ball at the Cincinnati 32.  New York made the most of the opportunity, and tied the game at 31 with a Roby Hayward touchdown reception 90 seconds later.

The Guardians offense came out, and methodically drove down the field.  They advanced to the edge of field goal range, running down the clock in the process.  Then, on 2nd and 8 from the New York 36, Hart took the snap, rolled to his right, and hit Vic Meredith on the sideline at the 22.  They were in position for a 39-yard field goal with 10 seconds to play, but there was a flag on the field.  TE Jeff Gulley was called for holding, and the ball was moved back to the 46.  Lloyd Hammond would ultimately have to attempt a 63-yard field goal, which fell well short.

Fortunately for Gulley and the Guardians, then penalty would only prolong the game, not change the outcome.  Nine minutes into overtime, Stephon Lockett took a screen pass to the New York 12 before being tripped up from behind.  Hammond made the chip shot, sending the Guardians back to the Victory Bowl for the second time in three years.

87r3g2MINvsHOU.png.523c107cd573f41f1b49eb2ea2dfdc86.png

As expected, Minnesota CB Scott D’Angelico was assigned to cover Houston’s top wideout, Ernest Hoskins, and essentially removed him from the game.  Surprisingly, however, the Hurricanes responded with a monumental performance from the unheralded Rudy Denise, a rookie out of Tulsa who was selected in the 6th round.  Denise, who was listed 4th on the Hurricanes depth chart, would have a career day, making 12 receptions for 213 yards and 3 touchdowns (his numbers for the regular season were 8/120/0).

It did not take him long to make his mark.  He had a huge third down reception on the teams opening possession, which kept the drive alive and allowed them to pick up a field goal, and a 3-0 lead.  Eight and a half minutes later he scored his first career touchdown, a 13-yarder in which he barely managed to drag his toes in the back of the end zone.

The Hurricanes would go up 13-0 on another field goal early in the second, before Minnesota finally got on the board after Hudson attempted a pass to Hoskins for the first time of the day.  It was a wide receiver screen, but D’Angelico saw it coming, slipped through the blockers, and didn’t even break stride as he picked it off and took it 93 yards to the end zone.  The Angels would add a field goal to cut the deficit to 13-10 with three minutes to play in the half, and then managed to get the ball back and take the lead with an 18 yard touchdown reception by WR Cedric Harrison with 33 seconds on the clock.

The lead would hold for the first 9 minutes of the third quarter, until Rudy Denise struck again, putting the Hurricanes up 20-17.  The Angels were poised to answer immediately, driving into the red zone on the ensuing drive, but an off-target pass to TE Stephen Blaber was picked off by LB David Rowe for a touchback.

Houston ran away with the game in the fourth quarter.  Minnesota even went so far as to reassign D’Angelico to cover Denise, but not even the All-Pro could stop the rookie.  The only consequence of this change was that Hoskins was suddenly a viable threat again.  Denise beat D’Angelico for a 24 yard touchdown with 7:18 to play, extending the Houston lead to 10, and James Pickle added a 52 yard field goal six minutes later.  Houston pulled off the upset with a 30-17 victory, and will finally have the chance to redeem themselves after the 50-0 shellacking that they suffered at the hands of the Pittsburgh Miners in the 31st Victory Bowl

1987_postseason_by_verasthebrujah-dbq2y5

AFA Magazine 42nd Victory Bowl Preview – Guardians of Cincinnati vs Houston Hurricanes

This is Cincinnati’s sixth Victory Bowl appearance, moving them into a tie with Minnesota for third most behind Pittsburgh and New York.  They lost each of the first three Victory Bowls to the New York Imperials by the scores of 24-13, 20-17, and 34-31, and then lost the 9th Victory Bowl to Boston (19-13) in 1954.  They finally won a title two years ago, defeating Atlanta 34-13.

The Hurricanes have made only one championship appearance.  They played against Pittsburgh in the 31st Victory Bowl and were crushed 50-0.  This still stands as the worst defeat in AFA postseason history.

This matchup is all about the quarterbacks.  The Victory Bowl in recent years has been dominated by defensively-oriented and run-first teams, to such an extent that this will be the first time that two elite QBs have one toe to toe in the big game since the early 1970s.  Indeed, this may be the best quarterback matchup since Kadlec vs. Ridley in the first three Victory Bowls.

On paper, the Guardians are the better team.  RB Jim Hill was less effective this year than he has been recently, but he is still dangerous, and much better than Houston’s Matt Cotten.  The Guardians also have better receiving options, both in terms of talent and depth (assuming Rudy Denise’s incredible performance in the semifinals was a fluke).  The teams are fairly evenly matched along the offensive line, but the Guardians have a team of grizzled veterans, while the Hurricanes are young and inexperienced.

The defenses are more evenly matched.  The Guardians are better up front, with a very strong defensive line, but there are significant holes in the second and third levels.  Houston, on the other hand, has a very talented, athletic linebacker corps and secondary.  Still, slowing down Hart and company will be a difficult task.  This could be a very high-scoring game.

In Reggie Hart’s final college game, he led USC to victory in the Rose Bowl over Michigan.  He will return to that field for the Victory Bowl, and will again come out on top.  Cincinnati wins, 34-30.

42nd_victory_bowl___rose_bowl__pasadena_

On 10/13/2017 at 11:29 PM, Red Comet said:

Also, what did the Crows get for Benham?

See, by saying that you were going to miss on your predictions, and then correctly picking the next two games, you ensured that you would be both right and wrong, no matter what.  Good job on the predictions, though.  I noticed that you got them all right in the quarterfinals, but I don't remember if you took a shot in the wildcard round.  Are you 6-0 or 8-0 so far?

As for the Benham trade - they didn't have a whole lot of leverage.  He's 30, hasn't been good in years, displayed a poor attitude in his divorce with the team, and expressly didn't want to be there.  They managed to get two conditional picks, one in 1988, and the other in 1989.  The 1988 pick will be a second rounder, while the 1989 pick could be anywhere between rounds 2-4, depending on how many games he starts and whether or not the Whales make the playoffs.

On 10/14/2017 at 2:51 AM, Goran The Man said:

There is a scoring error - Atlanta's total was shown to be 13 when the description and quarter-by-quarter score totalled 17.

My predictions for the Victory Bowl matchup:

Cincinnati will play Minnesota.

It's just a typo.  I even have it right if you look at the quarter-by-quarter score.  I just hit 3 instead of 7 somehow.  Thanks for the heads up, I'll fix it right away.

On 10/14/2017 at 6:11 AM, officerpain138 said:

NY wins, PIT loses! Everything is right in the world! That was one heartbreaking loss by Detroit.

On a side note, you always keep coming up with something new and exciting it seems during the post season. It could be hard to make these write ups interesting if they all seem the same. It could become repetitive and boring. But you always seem to find a way to throw in a curve ball that makes it interesting. Great work keeping me and many others hooked! I cant wait to see what the next round has in store. I'm hoping the NY/CIN game lives up to the hype with an Imperials victory!

Avoiding repetition is a big concern.  I developed the simulation method that I use for playoff games to add an element of randomness, but even that doesn't always work - I had to rewrite the first two rounds of the postseason last year after realizing that 6 of the first 7 games had at least one team scoring either 24 or 17, with 3 or 4 of them actually having a score of 24-17.  Once it comes to the writeups, I worry about overusing certain words and phrases (how many ways are there to indicate that someone scored a touchdown?).  Some of the ones that I worry about are "struck back," "settled for a field goal," "made the most of the situation/opportunity/good field position."  

Alright, the Hurricanes are in the Victory Bowl! Although I will obviously be pulling for the Guardians, and would root for the Imperials if they were in, being the fan of Ohio and New York Teams I am. 

Also, how’s the TV contracts looking for the offseason? I’m intrigued by whether or not the AFA signs with NBC or sticks with ABC, and how that will affect the USFA’s TV contracts.

I'm pulling for Houston in this one. 'Canes need this more.

Well I can't be to disappointed with the Imperials, I really didn't expect them to do much this season. I hope next season maybe they can take that next step and get back in the VB and return to the glory days!

On 10/9/2017 at 7:29 PM, Red Comet said:

Also, thinking that this year might end up Hurricanes-Imperials. Just my hunch.

Miners beat Ghosts

Gladiators beat Royals

On 10/11/2017 at 7:34 PM, Red Comet said:

Rebels-Imperials

I'm calling this one the Star Wars Bowl.

Imperials crush the Rebel scum though

Hurricanes blow away the Gladiators

Angels bury the Miners

Guardians Slay the Whales

On 10/13/2017 at 10:29 PM, Red Comet said:

19 hours ago, Veras said:

See, by saying that you were going to miss on your predictions, and then correctly picking the next two games, you ensured that you would be both right and wrong, no matter what.  Good job on the predictions, though.  I noticed that you got them all right in the quarterfinals, but I don't remember if you took a shot in the wildcard round.  Are you 6-0 or 8-0 so far?

Yep. So, I'm thinking Reggie Hart and the Guardians show the league why they were supposed to the great dynasty of the 80's. Hurricanes get embarrassed again.

Hurricanes 30, Guardians 27