Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1989 – 44th Victory Bowl)

I had an idea in regards to the future of the USFA, since you said you wouldn't likely go with a full merger there, and since you also mentioned that it exists in slightly smaller/weaker markets.  Did you know that the Promotion-Relegation system in the UK came about as a result of the Football League merging with an inferior league near the turn of the century?  I could see the USFA and AFA merging in a similar system of Promotion and Relegation.  Indeed, by the present day, with more teams expanded the leagues could be splitting off a third division.  That certainly would be a different path than expected.

The Reapers look EVIL...almost like Hydra wanted to start a football team.

I love it.

San Jose Spiders

Owner:  The team is owned by a group called NorCal Spiders Ltd.  The two largest stakeholders are Jeremy Simmons (40), the founder of Shattuck’s Pizza chain, and William Glendale (46), the father of the personal computer.  The two Berkley alumni have known one another for decades through their contributions as boosters to the University of California, and served together on the 1980 AFA Expansion Council.  In fact, it was at Simmons’s recommendation that Glendale was invited to participate.  Together, Simmons and Glendale control 60 percent of the franchise.  Simmons is @ChicagoOakland’s character, Glendale was created by @pitt6pack.

Stadium:  Spartan Stadium, home of the San Jose State Spartans.  It seats 31,218, and has a natural grass playing surface.

Notable Players:  The team has a proven leader on defense in former Whale and Dragon MLB Tim King, and a roster that is loaded with guys who were mid-level contributors in the AFA.  Their biggest weakness is probably at quarterback.  Their presumptive starter is 26-year old Willie Mitchell, who spent the last two years holding a clipboard with the Whales.  The team had so little faith in him that when they benched Steve Parker, Mitchell was not given the chance to start.  Instead, they handed the reigns to the newly-acquired Greg Benham, who had been with the team for 6 days.

Logo and Colors:  Nothing flashy here – a black and white spider with a football at the center.  The team is one of only two franchises that wears white and one other color.

1988_san_jose_spiders_by_verasthebrujah-

Uniforms:  Despite having a fairly simplistic logo, the Spiders will wear unusual uniforms.  The most obvious feature is that the sleeves and socks bear a web pattern, but the oversized logo on the helmet also sets them apart from other teams in the league.

1988_san_jose_spiders_uniform_by_verasth

Here is the USFA after 10 teams have been revealed.  The league's penultimate franchise is the Tennessee Commandos.  After seeing their unis, I doubt that there will be much debate as to who is most wildly-dressed team in the league (though, like San Jose, they sport a conservative logo).

1988_usfa_team_logos_by_verasthebrujah-d

On 12/20/2017 at 9:01 PM, Bulldog said:

I had an idea in regards to the future of the USFA, since you said you wouldn't likely go with a full merger there, and since you also mentioned that it exists in slightly smaller/weaker markets.  Did you know that the Promotion-Relegation system in the UK came about as a result of the Football League merging with an inferior league near the turn of the century?  I could see the USFA and AFA merging in a similar system of Promotion and Relegation.  Indeed, by the present day, with more teams expanded the leagues could be splitting off a third division.  That certainly would be a different path than expected.

The USFA could very well end up as a minor league team.  Whether that takes the form of a farm system or promotion/relegation remains to be seen.  There is some precedent for that model in American sports in the AFA Universe - it is used by professional baseball, and soccer has a much stronger presence than in real life.

On 12/21/2017 at 8:04 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

The Reapers look EVIL...almost like Hydra wanted to start a football team.

I love it.

I didn't make the Hydra connection, but now that you've pointed it out, I definitely see it.

I'm fully expecting some Camo Unis out of the Commandos. My favorite general look so far is that of either the Warriors or the Privateers.

What do you know, Jeremy Simmons has (part of) a football team now!

All bias aside, I love the look of the Spiders...unique and outlandish without being too garish. Needless to say, I'm a Spiders fan now.

Pioneers Warriors and Reapers are my favorites so far. Sounds like the Commandos are really gonna be outside the box. Can hardly wait!!

Tennessee Commandos

Owner:  Bubba O’Malley (48) is the founder and CEO of Buck Dynasty, which produces hunting supplies.  The controversial, eccentric billionaire is best known for visiting President Reagan at the White House while wearing a camouflage suit.  However, he has ties to football as well, having played quarterback at the University of Tennessee from 1960-1962, where he briefly started over two-time Victory Bowl winner C.J. Random.  There are rumors that most of the owners strongly objected to O’Malley’s inclusion in the league, but W.P. Rockwell intervened on his behalf, touting his ability to draw publicity to himself (and therefore, the USFA).

Stadium:  Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium is the home of the University of Memphis Tigers.  It seats 62,380 and has a natural grass surface.

Notable Players:  Tennessee was remarkably successful at luring in AFA talent.  They signed All-Star CB Rick Roudebush from the Atlanta Rebels (though he will not join the team until 1989), and were also able to sign Stallions RB Jeff Warner, who was selected 5th overall in the 1986 AFA draft.  Questions at the quarterback position may hold the team back.  The presumed starter, Billy McLean, has been in and out of the AFA over the past seven years, serving stints with LA, New Orleans, and San Diego.

Logo and Colors:  The team uses a green and brown camo color scheme.  The logo is meant to look like a military unit patch, featuring the three stars from the Tennessee state flag.

1988_tennessee_commandos_by_verasthebruj

Uniforms:  Given the team name and the owner, the uniforms are, quite predictably, camo.  The team has a stencil number font, and places the rear helmet numbers unusually high.  The uniform also features a red, white, and blue patch from the Tennessee flag.

1988_tennessee_commandos_uniform_by_vera

With only one team remaining, here is the USFA.  The final team is the Louisville Brawlers, named for the famed boxer and Kentucky native Ali Muhammad.  They are also owned by a reader-created character.

1988_usfa_team_logos_by_verasthebrujah-d

Yowza. I need eye bleach for that set.

I also really want to suggest not using Arial in the late 80s (it's in the logo). You can probably find typefaces that would have actually been common in the period. While Arial was around at the time, it certainly was not common until the 90s when Microsoft began bundling it with Windows.

I noticed the stars on the helmet are brown while the stars in the primary are white...is that on purpose?

Here's hoping O'Malley doesn't piss everyone off by the '90s...I feel like he might.

Awesome work! I absolutely love the spiders! Their logo is simple but well executed. And their uniforms with the webs are outstanding! Very fitting for a USFL type league. The Commandos are also awesome! I would change the font also. Not because it wasn’t popular at the time, I just think it’s boring. A military style stencil would look better in my opinion. Their uniforms are also very interesting! I would like to see this league turn into something like a “Development League” after it folds. I’m looking forward to Louisville! I hope you have been enjoying the holidays with your family. If I don’t post again this year, have a happy new year! 

I think the font you used the numbers or something similar would also work better than Arial..... love the Camo tops though. 

P.S. I've been quiet, but I've been following all of this. Love the USFL looks. 

If there's one thing I've learned, never trust someone who goes by Bubba.

2 hours ago, Raymie said:

Yowza. I need eye bleach for that set.

I also really want to suggest not using Arial in the late 80s (it's in the logo). You can probably find typefaces that would have actually been common in the period. While Arial was around at the time, it certainly was not common until the 90s when Microsoft began bundling it with Windows.

I was trying to match this:

Ranger_Tab.png

But I'll look at some other options.

2 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I noticed the stars on the helmet are brown while the stars in the primary are white...is that on purpose?

Here's hoping O'Malley doesn't piss everyone off by the '90s...I feel like he might.

No, that was an error.  I tried a few different color arrangements on the logo, and must have forgotten to update it when everything was finalized.  I'll fix it when I've chosen a new font.

As to your second comment... yeah, that seems likely.  Gus Detrich (the owner of the Stallions) may soon have a competitor for the title of most hated person in professional football.

2 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

Awesome work! I absolutely love the spiders! Their logo is simple but well executed. And their uniforms with the webs are outstanding! Very fitting for a USFL type league. The Commandos are also awesome! I would change the font also. Not because it wasn’t popular at the time, I just think it’s boring. A military style stencil would look better in my opinion. Their uniforms are also very interesting! I would like to see this league turn into something like a “Development League” after it folds. I’m looking forward to Louisville! I hope you have been enjoying the holidays with your family. If I don’t post again this year, have a happy new year! 

Ha, I love the assumption that the league will fail.  So it seems that the general consensus is now either D-League, Tier 2 league, or abject failure without long-term impact?  All very real possibilities.

Happy New Year to you as well.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

If there's one thing I've learned, never trust someone who goes by Bubba.

Goes by?  Oh, no.  Bubba is his legal name.

6 hours ago, Veras said:

Goes by?  Oh, no.  Bubba is his legal name.

Good lord.

It’s been awhile since I have posted in this topic, but I have been following the USFA quietly and I’m liking the uniforms and logos so far! I also had a funny feeling all along that the Brawlers would be named after Muhammad Ali.

Also, I wonder who Louisville’s owner is. It can’t be my character Jimmy Edwards seeing as he’s a broadcaster, while I don’t remember there being any characters from Kentucky being in the previous expansion council. Looking forward to their uniforms and logo either way though!

Louisville Legends could also work as a nod to Ali.

Either way, looking forward to their unveiling.

Keeping my fingers crossed for purple and gold.