Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1989 – 44th Victory Bowl)

15 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Good lord.

Maybe this guy plays the sax? But yeah, Bubba is more a dog’s name not a person’s. 

EDIT: Unless we're talking about Forrest Gump then it's a name of a person with a big heart.

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Maybe this guy plays the sax? But yeah, Bubba is more a dog’s name not a person’s. 

bubba.jpg

Yeah ok now...

Commandos logo with a custom font, based on the cover of Guerrilla War, one of my favorite video games of all time based solely on the unparalleled weirdness of the fact that somebody wrote a game featuring Che Guevara and Fidel Castro as protagonists in 1987.

1988_tennessee_commandos_by_verasthebruj

I've looked at continuing to try to match the Rangers font, block fonts, and stencil fonts.  I hate the stencil, and like the other two.

2 hours ago, MR. 3G said:

The USFA is cool and all, but I miss the AFA.

The wait won't be much longer, now.  I'll hopefully have time to post the Brawlers tomorrow, and after that the USFA will get maybe 2 posts for every full AFA season.

I didn't have a problem with the original font choice, I saw the same Rangers patch you modeled, but the new font choice does fit the era better IMO. Can't wait to see the last team and see how the season goes!

Posted (edited)

Louisville Brawlers

Owner:  Olivia (50) and Sean (52) Holmes are the founders of International Grocers, an eclectic grocery chain with over 800 locations worldwide, including stores in every state.  The Holmeses lobbied to bring a team to their hometown of Albuquerque, but the city was just too small, even for the USFA.  Though it seemed as though their dreams of owning a pro football franchise were over, things changed when the original ownership group for the Louisville franchise collapsed.  The Holmses, who have been close friends with league founder W.P. Rockwell for decades, and were offered the opportunity to take over.  They accepted, and will now split their time between Kentucky and New Mexico.  Olivia is @Jabel777's 1980 expansion council character.

Stadium:  Cardinal Stadium – home of the University of Louisville Cardinals.  It seats 47,925 and has an Autoturf surface.

Notable Players:  The Brawlers made one of the most high-profile signings in the league, luring Baltimore Royals RB Jim Ingles to the upstart league.  Unfortunately, Ingles is far from a sure thing.  He lost a considerable amount of snaps to rookie Jarl Perkins in the early part of last season, and went down with a knee injury in week 8.  At 33 years old, it’s not clear that he will be able to bounce back.  Nevertheless, the Hopkinsville, KY, native and former UK standout was eager to finish his career in his home state.

Logo and Colors:  The team is named in honor of Brutus Sands, later known as Ali Muhammad, a Louisville native and one of the greatest boxers in history.  The black and blue color scheme (accented with silver), is meant to resemble bruises.  I took the specific shades from the original Orlando Magic.  Because Shaq was my first favorite athlete.  (I'm getting a better look at the logo now that I'm posting it here than I had before.  Is the head too large?)

1988_louisville_brawlers_by_verasthebruj

Uniforms:  The Brawlers have one of the more unusual uniforms in the league, thanks to their punching sleeve stripe.  The team will wear blue as their primary, black as their secondary, and an all-white summer alternate.  A lot of players complained about how dark the primary and secondary uniforms are, knowing that they are going to have to wear them on road trips in the middle of summer.  This is another team that is almost certain to modify their uniforms over the offseason.

1988_louisville_brawlers_uniform_by_vera

And that is the USFA.  The 1988 season will be posted within the next few days, and then we can get back to the AFA.  1988 will be one of the wildest, most competitive years that the league has ever seen, and it will be one that fans talk about for decades.

1988_usfa_team_logos_by_verasthebrujah-d

Edited by Veras
EDIT: I forgot to tag Jabel777 as the creator of the Holmeses

The sleeve stripe coloring on the black uniform probably should be changed (blue outside, white inside?) to retain color blocking and so that it doesn't look like an X-ray hand. Otherwise, solid, and looking forward to the USFA and AFA getting back into the rhythm of things.

Also...Brutus Sands. Brilliant!

12 hours ago, Veras said:

And that is the USFA.  The 1988 season will be posted within the next few days, and then we can get back to the AFA.  1988 will be one of the wildest, most competitive years that the league has ever seen, and it will be one that fans talk about for decades.

>1988 will be one of the wildest, most competitive years that the league has ever seen, and it will be one that fans talk about for decades.

my_body_is_ready.png

Louisville looks pretty cool! And I was quite surprised to see that the Brawlers were partially owned by a woman too! Can’t wait for the USFA’s inaugural season!

9 hours ago, Raymie said:

The sleeve stripe coloring on the black uniform probably should be changed (blue outside, white inside?) to retain color blocking and so that it doesn't look like an X-ray hand. Otherwise, solid, and looking forward to the USFA and AFA getting back into the rhythm of things.

Also...Brutus Sands. Brilliant!

I'm not going to lie - I was pretty proud of the Brutus Sands thing.

It's hard to get the punching stripe to look right on the black jersey.  White contrasts too much, silver not enough, and if I leave it as it was it looks like an x-ray, as you said.  This was my second choice.  How do yo think it compares?

1988_louisville_brawlers_uniform_by_vera

2 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

Louisville looks pretty cool! And I was quite surprised to see that the Brawlers were partially owned by a woman too! Can’t wait for the USFA’s inaugural season!

Yeah, the fact that she is a woman has already made some waves in the league (though remember, the AFA's California Whales are also owned by a woman, Rosanna Gross Kennedy).  Most of the other owners treat Sean Holmes as if he were the dominant figure in the organization, but anyone on the inside knows that Olivia is the one who really runs things.  In particular, they've already had problems with Tennessee owner Bubba O'Malley, who has said that women have no place in the business world, and won't even speak to Mrs. Holmes.

You've got the stripe improved enough where it makes sense. Good fix.

5 hours ago, Veras said:

Yeah, the fact that she is a woman has already made some waves in the league (though remember, the AFA's California Whales are also owned by a woman, Rosanna Gross Kennedy).  Most of the other owners treat Sean Holmes as if he were the dominant figure in the organization, but anyone on the inside knows that Olivia is the one who really runs things.  In particular, they've already had problems with Tennessee owner Bubba O'Malley, who has said that women have no place in the business world, and won't even speak to Mrs. Holmes.

Oh boy, now that's fuel for a rivalry...

I like the Brawlers logo and color scheme. Only thought was a future update where one arm is cradling a football. Otherwise, nice work and great way to end the set.

Nice way to start 2018! Awesome logo and color choice! The fix you made for the black uniform looks much better. I am on the edge of my seat now waiting for the AFA season! I cant wait to see what you got up your sleeve!

Oh, Bubba...

It makes me wonder why Rick Roudebush would defect from the Rebels for political reasons...to play under O'Malley. This can't end well.

1988 USFA Season

The USFA began play on Sunday, March 6, 1988.  A month into the season, it was clear that the league would be dominated by a small number of teams.  The Louisville Brawlers, led by QB Manny Rowe (who would unanimously win the league’s first MVP award) took the league by storm.  Rowe, who had spent six years as a backup in Milwaukee and Detroit without ever being given a serious chance to start, ate opposing defenses alive, which resulted in the Brawlers claiming first place with a 14-2 record.  The Oklahoma Reapers also rode strong quarterback play to a comfortable division title, as James Rhodes (who spent 7 years in the AFA with Miami, Arizona, and Pittsburgh) proved capable of leading a well-rounded squad.

The only tightly-contested division race was in the East, where three mediocre teams battled for supremacy.  The Carolina Cyborgs held first place for most of the season, but a rash of injuries late in the year led to them falling behind.  Going into the final week of the season, the Indiana Warriors and Brooklyn Privateers were tied for first at 8-7.  The wildcard race was also still open, with the Tennessee Commandos (9-6) a game ahead of the California Atoms (8-7), Brooklyn, and Indiana.  However, this lead did them little good, as all three of their competitors held tiebreakers over the Commandos, having defeated them at least once earlier in the year.

In the season finale, the Commandos travelled to Indianapolis.  Either team would clinch a playoff berth with a victory, and would almost certainly fail to qualify with a loss.  Tennessee took care of business, picking off Russell Montague, Jr. four times in a 31-17 win.  This eliminated the Atoms from contention wildcard contention, and a Brooklyn victory over the hapless Buffalo Wings a few hours later knocked out the Warriors out of the race for the East.

In the semifinals, Tennessee’s strong defense gave the Brawlers a scare, with the Commandos holding a 21-13 late in the fourth quarter, but Rowe came through for Louisville, scoring a touchdown and two point conversion to tie the game at 21 with less than two minutes to play.  There would be no overtime, however, as the Brawler defense got the ball back, and Rowe set up a 38-yard game-winning field goal as time expired.  The 24-21 win earned Louisville the right to play in Ultimate Bowl I.

The other semifinal matchup lacked suspense, with the Reapers blowing out Brooklyn 35-7.

The Reapers and Brawlers met at Stanford Stadium on July 17, 1988.  Fan interest had waxed and wanted through the year, thanks to the lack of parity in most divisions, but had increased with the exciting playoff race and Louisville’s come from behind win in the semifinals.  As a result, viewership was quite high for the Ultimate Bowl, and the game did not disappoint.

The two teams went back and forth throughout the first half, with Rowe and Rhodes both throwing a pair of touchdown passes to put the score at 14-14.  The Reapers took control just after the two minute warning, when Brawlers RB Jim Ingles mishandled a handoff, and put the ball on the turf.  Oklahoma LE John Strubeck picked it up after one bounce, and went 29 yards to the end zone, putting the Reapers in front for the first time of the day.  The Brawlers ran an effective two-minute drill, pushing into Oklahoma territory, but they simply ran out of time to find the end zone, and had to settle for a field goal, sending the game into halftime with the Reapers up 21-17.

Their narrow lead held throughout the third, as the teams traded field goals and then touchdowns.  Another field goal by the Reapers two minutes into the fourth gave them a 34-27 advantage, however, the Brawlers tied it just over a minute later on what was perhaps the greatest play in the USFA’s brief history.  Rowe was in the shotgun on 1st and 10 from the Oklahoma 25.  He took the snap, and faked the handoff to RB Jim Ingals.  By the time he had set his feet, his offensive line had completely collapsed against an aggressive blitz, and four Reaper defenders were in the backfield.  Though not known for his mobility, he sidestepped the first tackler and tossed the second aside with a stiff arm.  At that point he was wrapped up by the third, with his throwing arm free.  Knowing that the men he had evaded would soon recover and try to strip the ball from his hand, he heaved the ball downfield and hit WR Craig Rennie in stride as he crossed the goal line, tying the game at 34 with just under 12 minutes to play.

The scoring wasn’t over yet.  The teams traded field goals, which led to Oklahoma retaking the lead for about four minutes.  Finally, after the two minute warning, Rowe led a drive deep into Reaper territory.  With just under a minute to go, on 3rd and goal from the Oklahoma 3, the Brawlers lined up in the shotgun.  Having completely shut down Ingals all day, the Oklahoma expected pass, and left themselves exposed them to a draw play.  Ingals walked in for the touchdown, putting the Brawlers up 44-37.  The score held, and the Louisville Brawlers were the first Ultimate Bowl champions.

The excitement of the game brought a new degree of attention to the USFA, especially considering the fact that Victory Bowls in the 1980s have generally been pretty one-sided (the 1980 title game was the last one with a margin of victory of fewer than 13 points, and that was a 9-7 snoozefest).  Rowe had thrown for 4 touchdowns (and his third quarter touchdown pass, which quickly became known as the Bruiser’s Miracle, made every highlight reel for weeks), Rhodes had added three more, and sportswriters immediately began arguing that both had the potential to succeed in the AFA.

1988_usfa_season_by_verasthebrujah-dbymo

4 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

a male marge schott? interesting

I wasn't previously familiar with her, but yes, that seems about right.

1 hour ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Oh, Bubba...

It makes me wonder why Rick Roudebush would defect from the Rebels for political reasons...to play under O'Malley. This can't end well.

It didn't take long for journalists to start asking that question either.  The answer is that Roudebush played for the Vols in college.  He is still tremendously popular in the state, which is how he was lured to the team.  He didn't know anything about O'Malley when he signed on (he only ever met with the GM, not the owner), and all that he is saying publicly is that he disagrees with the comment, but that he still intends to play for the Commandos in 1989.  Privately, he is disgusted by O'Malley (whose views on race are about as progressive as his views on women), but his primary goal is to get the Rebels to change their identity, and he is afraid that making a big deal about his boss's racism at this moment could undermine his point.

You're definitely right to think that this could be a powder keg, especially if O'Malley walks the road of a Marge Schott or Donald Sterling.

I know it's like twenty years too early to make hashtags, but... #F-ckTheCommandos

Ultimate Bowl! I like it! It will be interesting to see if Rowe decides to go into the AFA. I’m sure there are teams that will go after him. Congrats to Louisville! Now let’s see what happened in the AFA! Do my Imperials finally return to glory? Do the Sharks progress and start to give Jersey fans some hope? 

USFA- “Louisville gets a team.” 

Me- Really, can’t wait to watch.

USFA- “They’re really good.”

Me- Holy :censored: they are.

USFA- “They won the Ultimate Bowl.”

Me- I’m their biggest fan