Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 New Jersey Sharks)

Veras is probably responsible for a lot of people signing up to this forum. What better way to reward him than creating a new subforum?

10 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Veras is probably responsible for a lot of people signing up to this forum. What better way to reward him than creating a new subforum?

He'a responsible for me joining. Discovering this thread helped me to discover the rest of the forums. I'm glad the moderating team decided to make this subforum and help keep the AFA and the PHL stable. 

Bring on 1982!:woot:

Very happy to see this thread continue this way. The thing that sets the AFA apart from other concepts is what's behind the artwork. It's not just logos and uniforms, there are characters and history behind each logo and people end up forming attachments to those teams and characters, just like real life. I had looked at this board for years but it was the AFA that finally convinced me to sign up and start a similar project of my own. Veras has definitely done something special here and good on the moderators for letting it continue. Now let's go Krewe!

Glad to see this keep going here! One of the few things on here I follow. Great work Veras on this league makes me wish the MLF was going on in here but just don't have the time.

8 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Agreed. This was one of the first threads I really got into after I made an account and kept me coming back.

On 2017-02-08 at 8:40 PM, Raymie said:

It appears, Veras, you have created a category in this community. And now there is a subforum just for it. Congratulations.

On 2017-02-09 at 7:43 AM, Red Comet said:

Veras didn't create this subforum, nor is he being "given" it. The CCSLC mod team is overseeing this subforum just as we oversee the rest of the boards.

I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing Veras because I'm not. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea here. 

On 2017-02-09 at 7:22 AM, cubsfan2015 said:

I believe Veras created something more than a concept series. He created something more than that. He created something amazing and realistic. Something beautiful. And now his work has been honored.

On 2017-02-09 at 8:18 AM, hawkfan89 said:

Very happy to see this thread continue this way. The thing that sets the AFA apart from other concepts is what's behind the artwork. It's not just logos and uniforms, there are characters and history behind each logo and people end up forming attachments to those teams and characters, just like real life. I had looked at this board for years but it was the AFA that finally convinced me to sign up and start a similar project of my own. Veras has definitely done something special here and good on the moderators for letting it continue.

Now this I will take issue with. 

If the story and narrative behind the AFA interests you? By all means, enjoy. 

I cannot, however, agree with the sentiment that the narrative aspects make the AFA series something "more" than other concept threads.

The Concept section should be a place for anyone, from someone just developing an interest in sports design to a seasoned professional, to come and share their artwork and receive constructive criticism, pointers, and general feedback. It should be a place where people who want an outlet for their art can find it. 

The lack of a narrative in 99% of the Concept section's threads should not degrade those threads. Nor should they be treated as "less than" a thread with a narrative.

That was what was behind the tension between this thread's creator and the mod team. We were concerned that people who wanted to share their art were seeing their threads pushed down the page by a thread that, to be frank, had become less about uniform concepts and more about story. Not to say that story telling isn't art in and of itself, but it's not the art that the Concept Section was meant to showcase.

Now with all of that being said...the subforum we've created should alieviate all of the problems. And yes @chrisCLEMENT, the NFA is here! Hopefully you can find time to expand on it given the genre now has a subforum all to itself!

So I'm confident that the best solution has been found. I just wanted to say my piece here, because yes. Veras has created something very impressive.

It just didn't sit well with me to see some posters claim that it was "better" than the concepts that weren't trying to be narrative set pieces. That's all.

Enjoy and have fun, everybody :)

I apologise. That was poor wording on my part. I did not mean to say that this thread was superior than any other thread, I was simply trying to acknowledge the innovation of Veras' work. There have been a lot of great threads on here and I definitely appreciate having a forum like this for all different artists to show their work.

I was merely stating that it was Veras who created the category in terms of creating the first complete work of its type.

1 hour ago, Raymie said:

I was merely stating that it was Veras who created the category in terms of creating the first complete work of its type.

I haven't read his thread but it's far from the first to have an intricate story with concepts. Others have done so and were booted off the concept section by people who've long since been banned. 

Im like ice cap where I'm not taking away from Veras, but let's also be reasonable. 

Okay, I misspoke. I meant to say that I'm glad this timeline got a proper place for it instead of getting the boot off this site rather than imply that this was a gift to Veras. 

I remember when i first joined this forum almost 3 years ago now, and this thread was only a few months old. Even though I don't truly follow it

it has been awesome to see this thing grow. Still waiting till 1998 to jump in though <_<

I can see people getting upset about their topics being pushed down. Veras has sort of a following, I know others have started their own sports leagues. So it is nice to see this be on it's own.

Now lets keep this rolling and get 1982 going! I cant wait to see what shenanigans we are in store for!

7 hours ago, H11K said:

I remember when i first joined this forum almost 3 years ago now, and this thread was only a few months old. Even though I don't truly follow it

it has been awesome to see this thing grow. Still waiting till 1998 to jump in though <_<

Oh no,not 1998!

This thread has almost half a million views. That is kind of crazy when you think about it.

Sorry for my disappearance since the Victory Bowl Post.  This was my last week at my job, so I had a lot to wrap up.  I'm starting a new one on Tuesday, so I'm not going to have unlimited free time, but I should go from working 80-100 hours per week to working 40-45, so hopefully I'll have more time to devote to the AFA.

The 1982 offseason should start today with new logo and uniform designs.  This offseason will see Detroit and New Orleans undergo redesigns, as well as the resolution of the Buffalo Stampeders stadium situation.  I'll also be posting an improvement to the Cleveland Ghosts logo set.  This isn't an update exactly, I've just never been happy with the current logo since it was adopted in 1974.  There are a few places where it just doesn't look right, but at the time I couldn't figure out how to fix it.  I've played with it a bit over the past month or so, and I think I have a much-improved version.  Once I get the final details just right, it will be retroactively applied to the team.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:14 AM, Steelman said:

That Cent defense allowed a grand total of 9 points in the playoffs. Pretty incredible.

Also, can't remember if I mentioned it before. That VB logo is super clean. Excellent work there.

The updated playoff tree graphic is interesting, not something I'd expect from you, but creative nonetheless. I found the big red X's to be a little off-putting for some reason. Maybe grayed out logos would be better? But I see where the painted X's come into play with the brick wall. It all doesn't seem particularly 80's to me, seems more like a 90's grunge style. But it's a fresh look so I generally like it.

Giving up only 9 points over the postseason is impressive, and Colorado definitely has one of the best defenses in the league, but they also played some pretty weak offenses during their playoff run.

Tampa Bay was as one-dimensional as a team can be.  RB Gary Fryer is their only real offensive weapon, and by the time January had rolled around, he had pretty much been run into the ground.  Next, they took on Portland, a team whose best offensive players are pretty much average.  In the Victory Bowl, they drew the Stallions, who can be explosive at times, but they're also very inconsistent.  The team that showed up was the choke-prone, turnover-plagued version.  If they had matched up against teams like Buffalo, Seattle, or New York (assuming the Ron Adams injury didn't happen), they may have still won the title, but they would have given up quite a few more points along the way.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the 1981 Cents may have enjoyed the easiest postseason schedule in the history of the modern format.  Tampa Bay clearly didn't belong in the playoffs - they got in as the result of a weak division and an almost impossibly easy schedule.  The Portland Dragons put together an amazing run to get to the semifinals, but they were clearly overachieving, and their loss to the Cents was just them coming back to earth.  The Stallions, while certainly a good team, didn't match up well against Colorado.  The league's other best teams:  New York, San Diego, and arguably Seattle, all fell short, and Colorado didn't have to deal with any of them throughout the playoffs.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:11 AM, officerpain138 said:

Congrats to the Cents! I expected them to finish the job especially since the Destroyers got knocked out.

I like the brick wall with the VB logo on it for your bracket. I am not a big fan of that style of bracket. The old style you have been doing is cleaner in my opinion. This new style is just to busy for me. The VB logo itself, like I said in a earlier post, looks awesome! It definitely looks it belongs in this time period for a championship game logo. I love the roman numerals instead of the traditional 30th, 31st, 32nd, etc. For this logo it fits well and I would like to see a mix of both the traditional and the roman numerals in the future. And the championship field is also well executed. I really hope you don't abandon using the team helmets on the field.

All in all, you did a great job with this season! Not how a Imperials fan wanted to see it end, but still an amazing job! Now lets say bye bye to Buffalo and bring on the New Jersey Sharks!!!

Yeah, I'm still not sold on the new playoff format either.  I don't like the old one, as it takes too long to realign to get the matchups right in each round, but the new one doesn't do what I want it to.  I think I'll try using the brick wall idea to make a wallpaper or something, and I'll go back to the drawing board for the bracket.  I'll probably try something simpler and smaller.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:21 AM, JMtexan09 said:

WHHYYYYY DOES STALLIONS KEEP ON CHOKING IN VICTORY BOWL?!!!!

To be fair, a win in that game would have been a pretty big upset.  Texas is pretty clearly not as good as Colorado right now.  The Stallions are modeled off of the Cents, but Colorado has more talented players.  In fact, if you were to compare each position group, they would clearly have the advantage at QB, RB, WR/TE, OL, LB, and special teams.  The teams are pretty evenly matched at DL and DB, though the Stallions probably have a slight advantage in both.

The Stallions still need to get better if they expect to win it all.  They're overly reliant on RB Kelvin Barker, and he needs to learn that he doesn't have to do everything by himself.  He turns the ball over way too often as he fights for extra yards rather than just going down.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:00 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

Looks like someone is going to have to update their signatures...

On 2/6/2017 at 10:30 PM, Asterix777 said:

Indeed Indeed... Take your time, though, Veras. No Rush.

Also, with it mentioned, what's happened to the blogspot? I know it's on 1970, but no idea when that was put it. Considering recent circumstances it might become a lot more important...

I've actually been kicking around an idea that will celebrate both Victory Bowl wins, I just haven't had time to sit down and do it yet.  I'll try to take a crack at it within the next few days.

I'm most looking forward to a resolution of the Stampeders situation but the Krewe update should be interesting to say the least as they have an interesting color scheme. Cant wait to see what you do with both.

I bet Detroit will be one of those teams that does something radical, then down the line gradually goes back to their historical look to remind fans of the "good old days" when they were in damn near every Victory Bowl. I'm excited to see what's in store for them!

Actually, Detroit's change isn't all that big.  For the logo at least.

Old Logos

1962_detroit_gladiators_visual_identity_

New Logos

detroit_gladiators_1982_by_verasthebruja

The team dropped the traditional primary logo in favor of an updated version of the crossed swords.  It's simplified, which along with a switch to lighter shades of blue and green, should make it easier to see when it's not very large or displayed on darker backgrounds.  The wreath and D will stay as the secondary mark, and they added an official wordmark, which is CapitalisTypOasisMedium.

These changes took place for two reasons - first, the Gladiators haven't been relevant for quite some time.  This proud franchise, which went to 7 straight Victory Bowls between 1960 and 1966, hasn't been a title contender since their last Victory Bowl trip.  Second - their old color scheme was just too dark.  It was hard to see anything if it was displayed in Gladiator blue and green.

Old Uniform:

1978_detroit_gladiators_uniform_by_veras

1982_detroit_gladiators_uniform_by_veras

The uniform change was a bit more substantial.  First of all, they abandoned the traditional crew neck in favor of a v-neck jersey.  They also switched from white to blue helmets, and did away with the primarily green away uniforms.  A large number of Victory Bowl teams in recent years have had over the shoulder stripes (Colorado, San Diego, and Washington have won 5 of the last 7).  The Gladiators have decided to replicate the look, but in a single stripe instead of the UCLA-style double that the other teams wear.

Old Field

1973_detroit_gladiators_field__autodome_

New Field

1982_detroit_gladiators_field_by_verasth

They also made substantial changes to their field.  The most significant change is that the Autodome got brand new Autoturf, as the old surface had become quite worn down.  The new surface is in a much brighter, more vibrant shade of green that was chosen to match the team's secondary color.  This is a first in the AFA.

Not a huge fan of the new striping on the jerseys but I like the brighter colors. Surprised with the decision to get rid of the laurel wreath around the primary, but it showcases the swords better. 

Mainly looking forward ward to seeing what happens to Buffalo. I can see a good brand (especially in the 90s) for the New Jersey Sharks.