Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 New Jersey Sharks)

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, MR. 3G said:

This may not have happened quite yet, but I know the fan base for certain teams transcend boundary lines, and have cult like followings in areas all across the nation (Cowboys and Steelers).

 

Are there any AFA teams with followings as such?

I would imagine Miners for sure, but maybe other teams like the Centennials and the Krewe because of their continual 70s success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Packers staying in Green Bay all this time qualifies as extraordinarily unlikely. They were actually on the verge of being moved or folded in the mid-1950s, when they were really bad. However, with the arrival of Vince Lombardi, quite possibly the greatest coach of all time, they of course became a powerhouse and hung around. That being said, I don't think it would've been very plausible for the Royals to have replicated a similar scenario by staying in Richmond all this time. To me they reflect the time when the small-market teams moved into bigger markets (Decatur to Chicago, Portsmouth to Detroit). I could see the AFA back in Richmond at some point only if Baltimore relocates back there, since Richmond is too close to the DC/Baltimore metro.

Also, the Seattle Pilots scenario was due to the decrepit Sick's Stadium. With an expansion council in place, I doubt there would be a franchise awarded to a city with a lack of a suitable stadium plan. Therefore, a similar scenario in the AFA universe would've only been plausible in its first 15-20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, generalshepherd141 said:

The Packers staying in Green Bay all this time qualifies as extraordinarily unlikely. They were actually on the verge of being moved or folded in the mid-1950s, when they were really bad. However, with the arrival of Vince Lombardi, quite possibly the greatest coach of all time, they of course became a powerhouse and hung around. That being said, I don't think it would've been very plausible for the Royals to have replicated a similar scenario by staying in Richmond all this time. To me they reflect the time when the small-market teams moved into bigger markets (Decatur to Chicago, Portsmouth to Detroit). I could see the AFA back in Richmond at some point only if Baltimore relocates back there, since Richmond is too close to the DC/Baltimore metro.

Also, the Seattle Pilots scenario was due to the decrepit Sick's Stadium. With an expansion council in place, I doubt there would be a franchise awarded to a city with a lack of a suitable stadium plan. Therefore, a similar scenario in the AFA universe would've only been plausible in its first 15-20 years.

And the Royals, on the verge of moving or being folded, got "quite possibly the greatest coach of all time (Willie Krause)" where they were supposed to become a powerhouse. I think Veras was planning the whole thing to go exactly as Green Bay did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I would imagine Miners for sure, but maybe other teams like the Centennials and the Krewe because of their continual 70s success.

 

I guess the Wasp would qualify as well, due to the string of success in the 70's. It just feels like they're an afterthought though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After years of rebuilding and decades of futility, it finally seems as though the Boston Captains are on the verge of being contenders.  As a symbol of this newfound optimism, the team has updated their look.

 

Old Logos:

1970_boston_captains_visual_identity_by_

 

New Logos:

1985_boston_captains_by_verasthebrujah-d

 

With this redesign, the Captains are both modernizing and returning to their roots.  The new primary logo is an updated version of the one used by the team from their (and the AFA's) inaugural season in 1946 until 1963.  This change also brings grey back into the team's pallette.  When displayed on a green background, the logo will also use copious amounts of black, though it is not considered an official team color.

 

The secondary is the anchor alone, and will be featured on the helmet, and the wordmark is unchanged.

 

Old Uniform:

1978_boston_captains_uniform_by_verasthe

 

New Uniform:

1985_boston_captains_uniform_by_verasthe

 

The helmets will still have an anchor, as they have since the team first put a logo on the helmet, however, it will now be at an angle to create a more dynamic effect.  Probably the most notable change is the addition of grey and black to the set.  Player names, numbers, and the sleeve stripes are all outlined in a thin layer of black.  They kept their traditional four sleeve stripes, though now they will be two different colors.  The top and bottom stripes will be grey (green on the white jersey) while the middle two will be white (grey on the white jersey).  They eliminated the four stripes on the socks.  The helmets will also once again feature the letters MAC on the back, in honor of WWII Navy Captain Eugene MacMillan, for whom the team was named.  This was a tradition that the team carried out from 1946-1978, before removing the letters because I forgot to copy them over when I updated the template.

 

Always happy to hear feedback on the looks.  Responses to the last few posts, plus four new or updated sigs will be posted shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The captains look great! Kind of reminds me of the early 90s Jets uniforms (Which, in my opinion, is their one of their best sets).One minor issue I have: I don't like the numbers on the front of the helmet. Maybe move them to the back of the helmet and over the MAC, or move MAC down to the sleeves, but that would ruin the tradition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, a few new and updated signatures, starting with the updated championship banners:

 

http://orig05.deviantart.net/4b0c/f/2017/204/1/0/championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebrujah-d9q2txa.png

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

 

Next, we have an updated Cleveland Ghosts sig, which includes both their recent Victory Bowl title and a the logo correction that was made a couple years ago.

 

http://orig11.deviantart.net/d52c/f/2017/204/b/f/cleveland_ghosts_player_sig___kevin_rubin__cb__by_verasthebrujah-d9uqt5j.jpg

cleveland_ghosts_player_sig___kevin_rubi

 

Here is the Derrill Punch Royals sig, as requested by @flacco's mustache.  I tried to include the player's signature in the bottom right, but I'm not sure how it turned out.  If you'd rather I remove it, just let me know.

 

http://orig11.deviantart.net/8d78/f/2017/204/8/b/baltimore_royals_player_sig___qb_derrill_punch_by_verasthebrujah-dbhfvrb.jpg

baltimore_royals_player_sig___qb_derrill

 

And finally, a Captains sig with their new look.  The player is FS Jim Hubbard, who has made a pretty big impact during his first two years in the league, and seems to have a lot of room to grow moving forward.

 

http://orig10.deviantart.net/0057/f/2017/204/5/d/boston_captains_player_sig___fs_jim_hubbard_by_verasthebrujah-dbhfvu5.jpg

boston_captains_player_sig___fs_jim_hubb

 

On 7/20/2017 at 9:44 AM, Raptorman415 said:

When do you think the AFA will play international games? To like England or Canada or Japan.

There have already been quite a few exhibition/preseason games played in Europe, going back to the late 1960s with the creation of the SFL in Sweden.  Once the league folded, this stopped, but AFA President Warren Breyer has floated the idea of picking the series up again with games in London and Stockholm.

 

Regular-season games aren't on the radar, and if they ever happen it won't be until probably the late 2000s.

 

On 7/22/2017 at 9:22 AM, MR. 3G said:

This may not have happened quite yet, but I know the fan base for certain teams transcend boundary lines, and have cult like followings in areas all across the nation (Cowboys and Steelers).

 

Are there any AFA teams with followings as such?

Other commenters have picked up on the big ones.  The Miners are without question the league's most divisive team.  Their longstanding success (and at times dominance) will have won over fans and haters nationwide.  The Detroit Gladiators likely have a pretty strong national following with fans old enough to remember their 7 consecutive Victory Bowl appearances from 1960-66, though the struggles that the team has faced since then means that younger fans are less likely to support them.  Other teams with multiple titles in quick succession (Colorado, New Orleans, Minnesota) have some, but the other really big one would be the Washington Wasps for several reasons.  First of all, they won three titles in four years.  Their second title (1977) was an emotional victory following the death of their owner, which won them national sympathy.  They were more fun to watch than other teams with similar runs of success - the three that I mentioned were all defensive-first teams with a strong rushing attack.  The Wasps boasted a championship-calibur defense for sure, but they also had Steven Taylor, who was one of the league's best quarterbacks.

 

Obviously, you'll also always get a bit of this for any good team.  Rob Connery has fans nationwide, and the Grizzlies would have benefitted from that during his time with the team.  Ron Adams has a similar effect in New York, and Reggie Hart, though divisive, definitely brings fans to Cincinnati.

 

On 7/22/2017 at 1:16 PM, generalshepherd141 said:

The Packers staying in Green Bay all this time qualifies as extraordinarily unlikely. They were actually on the verge of being moved or folded in the mid-1950s, when they were really bad. However, with the arrival of Vince Lombardi, quite possibly the greatest coach of all time, they of course became a powerhouse and hung around. That being said, I don't think it would've been very plausible for the Royals to have replicated a similar scenario by staying in Richmond all this time. To me they reflect the time when the small-market teams moved into bigger markets (Decatur to Chicago, Portsmouth to Detroit). I could see the AFA back in Richmond at some point only if Baltimore relocates back there, since Richmond is too close to the DC/Baltimore metro.

Also, the Seattle Pilots scenario was due to the decrepit Sick's Stadium. With an expansion council in place, I doubt there would be a franchise awarded to a city with a lack of a suitable stadium plan. Therefore, a similar scenario in the AFA universe would've only been plausible in its first 15-20 years.

That's very true, and even with a long run of success, a move was always possible.  I had viewed them as becoming the South's team, much in the way that the Atlanta Braves are in MLB, and Atlanta or Charlotte would have worked for that.  The two things that would have been necessary for them to stay were 1) an absurd run of success (something that Krause has had - he's been a head coach for 34 years, and has 11 Victory Bowl appearances and 7 wins in that time), and 2) a relocation from Baltimore/Washington.  The Legion folded the year before he was fired, and if the Wasps had failed and moved, expansion councils may have been very wary of sending teams back to the region.

 

As for the Expansion Council preventing a Pilots scenario - remember that most of the time the council voted to give cities teams with just a promise that they would build a stadium.  Any number of factors could have interfered and led to an untenable situation, either with the stadium or with the ownership group.  I actually did leave in the story for the Crows - they played their first season at KU's stadium - and the same thing happened to the Cardinals in real life when they moved to Phoenix.  They were supposed to get their own stadium within a few years of moving, but the S&L Crisis derailed that, and they ended up playing at Sun Devil Stadium for nearly 20 years.

 

11 minutes ago, Mercy_King said:

The captains look great! Kind of reminds me of the early 90s Jets uniforms (Which, in my opinion, is their one of their best sets).One minor issue I have: I don't like the numbers on the front of the helmet. Maybe move them to the back of the helmet and over the MAC, or move MAC down to the sleeves, but that would ruin the tradition.

I actually prefer the numbers on the back as well, but the fact is that some teams will have them on the front, some will have them on the back, and some will do both.  Given the location of the MAC, it just makes sense for Boston to have them on the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Veras said:

After years of rebuilding and decades of futility, it finally seems as though the Boston Captains are on the verge of being contenders.  As a symbol of this newfound optimism, the team has updated their look.

 

Old Logos:

1970_boston_captains_visual_identity_by_

 

New Logos:

1985_boston_captains_by_verasthebrujah-d

 

With this redesign, the Captains are both modernizing and returning to their roots.  The new primary logo is an updated version of the one used by the team from their (and the AFA's) inaugural season in 1946 until 1963.  This change also brings grey back into the team's pallette.  When displayed on a green background, the logo will also use copious amounts of black, though it is not considered an official team color.

 

The secondary is the anchor alone, and will be featured on the helmet, and the wordmark is unchanged.

 

Old Uniform:

1978_boston_captains_uniform_by_verasthe

 

New Uniform:

1985_boston_captains_uniform_by_verasthe

 

The helmets will still have an anchor, as they have since the team first put a logo on the helmet, however, it will now be at an angle to create a more dynamic effect.  Probably the most notable change is the addition of grey and black to the set.  Player names, numbers, and the sleeve stripes are all outlined in a thin layer of black.  They kept their traditional four sleeve stripes, though now they will be two different colors.  The top and bottom stripes will be grey (green on the white jersey) while the middle two will be white (grey on the white jersey).  They eliminated the four stripes on the socks.  The helmets will also once again feature the letters MAC on the back, in honor of WWII Navy Captain Eugene MacMillan, for whom the team was named.  This was a tradition that the team carried out from 1946-1978, before removing the letters because I forgot to copy them over when I updated the template.

 

Always happy to hear feedback on the looks.  Responses to the last few posts, plus four new or updated sigs will be posted shortly.

 

I like the new hue of green. The additions of gray and black feel good too. With the sleeve stripes being as thin as they are, the white/gray combo seems a little muddled. I'm not a fan of the front helmet numbers, but they're unique. I'd imagine that particular look won't through the decade though. Seems like the MAC might be better served on the front instead. "Always forward, like the Captain" or something like that.

 

It seems like the stroke on the front home jersey number is thicker than the others. Otherwise, a solid update for the Caps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this look for Boston even though it reminds me alot like the Jets. The sleeve stripes look..a little weird with the white/silver look to them. 

Could I maybe get an updated Jersey Signature with some more modern players and the new logo on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Captains logos & jerseys look really good! The new shade of green really pops with silver & I don't see the Jets here at all! I see 100% Eagles here personally (Hints of the '79 to '84 set for sure), but it's different enough in striping to be a great set in Boston. I also really like the updated split-letter font for the wordmark & kind of wonder if it would work for the numbers or not.... it'd give the Caps a unique font that they could call theirs. I'm worried it's a little bit too thin to work as a number font, but I'd have to see it on the jerseys before I made the decision. 

 

Another thing: If the font change could be used on the "B" in the main logo, that would really add cohesion to the design. Just another thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see elements of the 1990-1997 Jets uniforms and the Eagles uniforms from 1974-1995 with a heavier lean to the Eagles. The Jets elements are the black outline on the numbers and the dynamic logo and the Eagles elements being the rest of the color scheme. 

 

Either way, I could see black becoming more dominant in the color scheme in a decade.

 

EDIT: Forgot that this site is primarily a uniform history site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was never completely sure about the grey/white stripes on the home jersey, and after the negative response, I've scrapped it.  I really like how it looks on the road set, and I wanted the two to match, even if the difference wasn't all that clear.  I've also fixed the stripe thickness issue pointed out by @Steelman (good eye, dude, I can't believe that you could see that).  I also had the wrong name on the road jersey, which I corrected.  And so, I present the 1985 Boston Captains v 2.0.

1985_boston_captains_uniform_by_verasthe

 

11 hours ago, Steelman said:

 

I like the new hue of green. The additions of gray and black feel good too. With the sleeve stripes being as thin as they are, the white/gray combo seems a little muddled. I'm not a fan of the front helmet numbers, but they're unique. I'd imagine that particular look won't through the decade though. Seems like the MAC might be better served on the front instead. "Always forward, like the Captain" or something like that.

 

It seems like the stroke on the front home jersey number is thicker than the others. Otherwise, a solid update for the Caps.

I really like the "Always forward" thing, and I'll eventually move it to the bumper on the front of the helmet.  For now, it just grows out of tradition.  It started with players who knew MacMillan personally physically writing "Mac" on the back of their helmets as in, even though he's gone, he's always in the back of our minds.

 

10 hours ago, Darknes said:

I really like this look for Boston even though it reminds me alot like the Jets. The sleeve stripes look..a little weird with the white/silver look to them. 

Could I maybe get an updated Jersey Signature with some more modern players and the new logo on it?

The Jets and Eagles looked an awful lot alike for a long time.  I was thinking Eagles most of the way through, but then I added the black and thought, "wow, they look like the Jets now."

 

Sure, I'll have to look back through the rosters to figure out which players to use.  Do you have any specific requests?  The best current players?  Top players in franchise history?  Your personal favorites?  A balanced distribution from different eras to show how the jerseys have evolved over time?

 

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The new Captains logos & jerseys look really good! The new shade of green really pops with silver & I don't see the Jets here at all! I see 100% Eagles here personally (Hints of the '79 to '84 set for sure), but it's different enough in striping to be a great set in Boston. I also really like the updated split-letter font for the wordmark & kind of wonder if it would work for the numbers or not.... it'd give the Caps a unique font that they could call theirs. I'm worried it's a little bit too thin to work as a number font, but I'd have to see it on the jerseys before I made the decision. 

 

Another thing: If the font change could be used on the "B" in the main logo, that would really add cohesion to the design. Just another thought. 

I definitely appreciate the compliment, but I didn't change the wordmark at all.  It's the same one that they've been using since 1963.  I made it over 2 years ago, so I don't remember exactly, but I think it is based on the lettering on WW2 Navy ships.  It's definitely possible that they'll adopt a stencil number font at some point in the future, but doesn't that seem a bit out of place in the mid-1980s?

 

I actually tried using the stencil B in the logo, but it really doesn't work.  The two biggest problems are the fact that it is so skinny (the anchor has to be really weirdly proportioned to fit) and that once it is removed from the context of other letters, it looms more like a 13 than a B.

 

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

I see elements of the 1990-1997 Jets uniforms and the Eagles uniforms from 1974-1995 with a heavier lean to the Eagles. The Jets elements are the black outline on the numbers and the dynamic logo and the Eagles elements being the rest of the color scheme. 

 

Either way, I could see black becoming more dominant in the color scheme in a decade.

 

EDIT: Forgot that this site is primarily a uniform history site. 

They may go BFBS, but it's hard to be sure.  The Dragons currently use a touch of black with their double green scheme, and if they go green/black first, the Captains might avoid it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captains look good. I'm glad you used the secondary on the helmet, it just feels like a better helmet logo. The uniforms remind me of the old Saskatchawan Roughriders unis from the CFL. Looks good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very good. I just came from a thread about the GLA, and found this. This is better imo. Very good, keep up the good work. I'm looking into putting this in NCAA 14 or Madden 17. Keep it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just read all 214(!) Pages of this over the span of the past few days. This is awesome. As someone who lives in Minnesota and plans to go to college in Arizona I can say the Angels are my favorite team with the Firebirds in seconds. Simply amazing. When is the next expansion btw? I'm hoping to be on it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Bostons new look! Also reminds me of the Jets. The anchor with the chain is a great modernized version of their original logo. Great work as usual!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darknes said:

Their Best Current players I think

No problem.  That should be a pretty easy thing to do.  I'm 100% in on trying to get the next season running, but once that's all done I'll take care of it for you.

 

3 hours ago, noleseveryday said:

This is very good. I just came from a thread about the GLA, and found this. This is better imo. Very good, keep up the good work. I'm looking into putting this in NCAA 14 or Madden 17. Keep it up!

Wait... does Madden 17 have a legit team creator?  I've thought that Madden was pretty much garbage basically since they signed the exclusive license with the NFL, so I haven't been paying attention.  If I can use it to get a sense of what some of these designs might look like in 3D, it might be worth picking up a used copy.

 

I've used Teambuilder fairly extensively in the past, but I think the Guardians are the only AFA team that I've done.

 

8 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I just read all 214(!) Pages of this over the span of the past few days. This is awesome. As someone who lives in Minnesota and plans to go to college in Arizona I can say the Angels are my favorite team with the Firebirds in seconds. Simply amazing. When is the next expansion btw? I'm hoping to be on it

Damn, dude.  I thought the days of that happening were over.  Welcome to the AFA.  I expect the next expansion to be in the late 80s or early 90s.  It will bring the league to an even 30 teams, and having an equal number of teams per division will make things much easier for me, so it may be earlier rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Veras said:

No problem.  That should be a pretty easy thing to do.  I'm 100% in on trying to get the next season running, but once that's all done I'll take care of it for you.

 

Wait... does Madden 17 have a legit team creator?  I've thought that Madden was pretty much garbage basically since they signed the exclusive license with the NFL, so I haven't been paying attention.  If I can use it to get a sense of what some of these designs might look like in 3D, it might be worth picking up a used copy.

 

I've used Teambuilder fairly extensively in the past, but I think the Guardians are the only AFA team that I've done.

 

Damn, dude.  I thought the days of that happening were over.  Welcome to the AFA.  I expect the next expansion to be in the late 80s or early 90s.  It will bring the league to an even 30 teams, and having an equal number of teams per division will make things much easier for me, so it may be earlier rather than later.

 

I don't think that there's one in the game, but I think you can do it with this Generic Edior:

http://forums.operationsports.com/forums/ncaa-football-rosters/590543-generic-ea-roster-editor.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Veras said:

They may go BFBS, but it's hard to be sure.  The Dragons currently use a touch of black with their double green scheme, and if they go green/black first, the Captains might avoid it.

I feel like the Dragons are the most likely team to go with Midnight Green as their main color like the Eagles did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now