Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 New Jersey Sharks)

46 minutes ago, RedfieldNick said:

Would u call it your Annual Playoff Jinxing?

yes, yes I would. I should just pick the teams I don't want to win, i.e. Aces and Hurricanes or Patriots and Eagles. But I never learn

Wow! That Cincinnati kicker must’ve walked home after that shank! Reminds me of the Minnesota/Seattle game a couple years ago. I’m glad to see two great franchises make a return to the VB. I’m cheering for the Aces, solely because I love their logo, but I’m just hoping for a classic game that we will talk about and reference for years to come! 

Both Semifinal Games wrong, so now 5-3 this postseason.

As for the final... I'm going Gladiators over the Aces.

However this game goes, it’ll certainly be up there as one of the best looking Victory Bowls as far as the uniform designs go.

Aces High over the Gladiators.

8 hours ago, Veras said:

I'll think about it.  It's kind of messy right now with the divisions not being equal in size, so I might wait until the next expansion.  Or maybe I'll just post the USFA one, which is much neater.  Maybe I'll do the same thing with the player generation spreadsheet and the one that I use to progress players over time.  Those are both actually far more complicated than the gameplay one anyway.

I'm also interested in the player sheets.

Houston has the worst playoff luck, man. I was kinda hoping they'd avenge some of their awful playoff defeats, but alas. I believe the last playoff tree graphic is not updated, btw.

This is more of a merchandise sales question, which team's jerseys would have the highest sales in this decade as the 80s come to a close?

11 hours ago, CodeG said:

That St Louis vs Cincinnati game, dang, reminds me of that Vikings/Saints game. My predictions were a little wrong, I wanted that intra-divion VB, Aces and Detroit should be exciting. I personally cheering for the Aces since Detroit and Cleveland are in the same division

So my failure predictions are St Louis Spirits (wrong league) Aces over Detroit I-get-them-confused-with-Cincinnati Gladiator Guardians

I actually wrote it this over a month ago.  This was my actual inspiration:

10 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

Wow! That Cincinnati kicker must’ve walked home after that shank! Reminds me of the Minnesota/Seattle game a couple years ago. I’m glad to see two great franchises make a return to the VB. I’m cheering for the Aces, solely because I love their logo, but I’m just hoping for a classic game that we will talk about and reference for years to come! 

Let's just say that the Guardians will be holding kicker tryouts over the offseason.

10 hours ago, Red Comet said:

However this game goes, it’ll certainly be up there as one of the best looking Victory Bowls as far as the uniform designs go.

I've got to agree with you there.  These two teams together look better than either one individually.

5 hours ago, Steelman said:

I'm also interested in the player sheets.

I'll think about that, too.  My concern there is that I don't want to let readers look too far behind the curtain.

"Hey, my favorite team has way better players than that other team, why isn't our rating higher?"

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

This is more of a merchandise sales question, which team's jerseys would have the highest sales in this decade as the 80s come to a close?

Interesting question.  I hadn't really thought about it.  The Guardians would have dominated the latter part of the 1980s.  Reggie Hart is probably the league's most popular player, and Vic Meredith isn't far behind.  Colorado has been good through most of the decade, and they had a huge number of stars (Tom Blitz, Danny St. Mark, Justin Alexander, Bob Jonas, and Paulie May, to name a few).  The New York Imperials would probably be up there as well.  They have a large market, were pretty good, even if it didn't translate to Victory Bowl titles, and have a lot of prominent and popular players, with Ron Adams and Guy Vaciliis being the most obvious.

Obviously, the Crows and Bobcats would have sold a ton as well, since the franchises were created in 1980.  Likewise, the Wasps and Firebirds underwent significant redesigns, which would spur sales, though the lack of on-field success would hold them back.

I'd probably give the edge to Colorado as a team.

4 minutes ago, Raymie said:

"The Shank"! We have a playoff moment!

I was thinking "The Miss Heard 'Round the World"

Ricky de la Pena is currently seeking entry into the witness protection program.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:56 PM, Veras said:

I'd probably give the edge to Colorado as a team.

To think a team from a media market outside the top 15 in the U.S. would be close to the top of merchandise sales and popularity is very surprising - hard to think of a team in real U.S. sports that could punch that far above their proverbial weight (Packers?  St. Louis Cardinals? Spurs?)

For comparison, the Broncos, with 3 championships and a relatively storied history, are the 13th most valuable team in the NFL. The Cents could arguably push top 5 - I guess that would just be down to a perfect set of conditions - Colorado's the only team with multiple championships in the western U.S. (LA, San Diego, and Seattle all have 1)

I wonder what the five "biggest" franchises in the AFA would be? I'd probably have New York, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Colorado, and Washington in some order, but Minnesota and Cincinnati probably have a shout. (Apart from New York, the power markets - LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly have all really underperformed)

44 minutes ago, Asterix777 said:

To think a team from a media market outside the top 15 in the U.S. would be close to the top of merchandise sales and popularity is very surprising - hard to think of a team in real U.S. sports that could punch that far above their proverbial weight (Packers?  St. Louis Cardinals? Spurs?)

For comparison, the Broncos, with 3 championships and a relatively storied history, are the 13th most valuable team in the NFL. The Cents could arguably push top 5 - I guess that would just be down to a perfect set of conditions - Colorado's the only team with multiple championships in the western U.S. (LA, San Diego, and Seattle all have 1)

I wonder what the five "biggest" franchises in the AFA would be? I'd probably have New York, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Colorado, and Washington in some order, but Minnesota and Cincinnati probably have a shout. (Apart from New York, the power markets - LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly have all really underperformed)

Larger markets have a significant advantage and whoever wins. Typically in areas where there are no local teams nearby, the most successful teams gather the most support. Building on your example, a real-life comparison is the Pittsburgh Steelers, who play in the 26th largest metropolitan area, but are one of the most widely supported NFL teams in the USA. Whilst the Broncos are the 13th most valuable franchise, their supporter base is easily in the top half.

As of my comparison for the most popular teams in the AFA - the big five would be:

Pittsburgh (success), New York (largest market and early success), Washington (success in the 70s), Minnesota (the Angels are traditionally a very successful club) and Colorado (popular players, and early 80s success). Cincinnati can contend due to their recent success, and Detroit have their 60s kids fanbase.

Chicago, LA, Philly, Houston, Boston, Texas (Dallas market), California (San Francisco market) have lacked success in their history and therefore it has hampered their national following (although we're sure there are some local dedicated fans).

43rd_victory_bowl__arlington__by_verasth

43rd Victory Bowl (Arlington, TX)

88r4g1stlvsdet_by_verasthebrujah-dc0mlxu

Throughout the first half, predictions of a shootout seemed wildly misplaced.  The Gladiators harassed St. Louis QB Danny Buckingham relentlessly from the opening snap, sacking him four times in the first 30 minutes, while the Aces did an excellent job of keeping Detroit RB Johnny Dewitt contained.  The Gladiators kicked a field goal on the game’s opening drive, and the resulting 3-0 lead held until the Aces tied it up with three points of their own with 50 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

Detroit jumped back in front 7 minutes later, when Buckingham scrambled into his own end zone to avoid the blitzing LOLB John Schneider, only to be levelled by LE John Shoffner for a safety.  The play seemed to ignite the Gladiators.  They got the ball back on the safety punt, and scored 3 minutes later on a pass from John Lewis to WR Ray Carroll.  The Aces responded by pushing deep into Gladiator territory, but the drive ended when a heavily-pressured Buckingham rushed a throw to WR Rickie Solorzano, only to have it picked off by CB Ron Pryce at the Detroit 13.  Lewis and the offense retook the field and ran an effective two-minute drill, which set up a 33-yard field goal, putting their halftime lead at 15-3.

St. Louis got the ball first in the third, and made the most of it, taking only two plays and 29 seconds to find the end zone as Morgan Slade burned the defense for an 82 yard touchdown reception.  However, they were unable to convert that score into momentum, and the two teams traded punts over the next ten minutes.

Finally, with five and a half minutes remaining in the third, Detroit made a play that gave them command of the game.  Buckingham fired a pass to Solorzano across the middle, but for the second time of the day, Pryce got there first, jumping the route at the St. Louis 36, and taking it all the way back to the 3 before being taken down.  The tackle would only serve to delay the touchdown by seven seconds.  On first down, Lewis hit Dewitt on a screen pass and he walked into the end zone.  Five minutes later, Lewis threw his third touchdown pass of the day, this one to WR Frank Jones (shutting down the prediction that the Detroit receiving corps couldn’t matchup up with the St. Louis secondary).

As the fourth quarter began, the Gladiators held a commanding 29-10 lead.  The Aces finally managed to push into Detroit territory with about 5 minutes to play, but, facing a 4th and 7 from the 21, ended up kicking a field goal.  The Gladiators responded with a drive that concluded with Dewitt crashing into the end zone from a yard out – and ran the clock down to 2:22 in the process.  Despite trailing by at least 3 touchdowns, the Aces never stopped fighting, continuing to press even when a comeback was no longer practically possible.  Finally, with 48 seconds to play, Buckingham was sacked on 4th and 3.  The Gladiators bench was so ecstatic that Lewis was unable to get 11 guys to line up for a kneel down in time to avoid a delay of game penalty, but the five lost yards would make no difference.  The Gladiators had won 36-13, and were Victory Bowl champions for the first time since 1964.

1988_afa_postseason_bracket_by_verastheb

The uniforms are gorgeous, this game was not.

Was there really such a talent disparity between the two teams or was it just the roll of the die?

The Gladiators may be in the same division as the Guardians, but congratulations on winning the Victory Bowl anyway!

Also, this may sound like an odd question, but I've noticed that the more hated AFA owners such as Gus Dietrich, Robert Culpepper, and Zachary Delvin seem to get mentioned more than the ones that are actually well respected. The question is, who are some examples of owners in the AFA that people actually like? Either way, I'm looking forward to season two of the USFA and the 1989 offseason! 

12 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

The uniforms are gorgeous, this game was not.

Was there really such a talent disparity between the two teams or was it just the roll of the die?

The field wasn't all that great, either.  Two different shades of blue, the differences in length between the wordmarks, and the fact that Detroit's green didn't go well on the field all led to some weird looks.

Detroit genuinely was the better team, though not by that margin.  The Gladiators have been able to fly under the radar because they share a division with the Guardians, but they're really one of the most well-rounded teams in the league.  In particular, the combo of John Lewis at QB and Johnny Dewitt at RB is deadly.  Both are among the top 5 in the league at their positions.  St. Louis is a very good team as well, but they have some holes, in particular, their offense lives and dies with Danny Buckingham.  He had a bad day, and they got blown out.

10 minutes ago, BengalSteve said:

The Gladiators may be in the same division as the Guardians, but congratulations on winning the Victory Bowl anyway!

Also, this may sound like an odd question, but I've noticed that the more hated AFA owners such as Gus Dietrich, Robert Culpepper, and Zachary Delvin seem to get mentioned more than the ones that are actually well respected. The question is, who are some examples of owners in the AFA that people actually like? Either way, I'm looking forward to season two of the USFA and the 1989 offseason! 

The most widely-respected owner is St. Louis's Bobby Blankenship, though he's 89 and in extremely poor health, so he isn't really involved with the team anymore.  Fun fact - he's a former player.  He spent several years as the best QB in the Midwest Football League in the 1920s as a member of the Grand Rapids Devils.  After a knee injury ended his career, he moved back to his hometown of St. Louis, where he started a furniture manufacturing business.  He was tremendously successful, and was able to buy the Philadelphia Continentals in 1948 to prevent them from folding.

Cleveland's John Luckner is another elder statesman - he's the last surviving founding member of the league.  The Jarvis family in New York has always been influential, as have the Barlows in Pittsburgh.

There are also two controversial owners, who are popular in progressive circles.  As the only woman to lead an AFA team, California's Rosanna Gross Kennedy is beloved by some and hated by others.  Interestingly, she maintained complete control of the team even after remarrying - and her husband, Rick Kennedy, is the youngest son of Seattle owner Ed Kennedy, so he knows a little bit about running a franchise.  Finally, there is Milwaukee's Tommy Danson.  Among the league owners, he is the most vocal opponent of the branding used by the Atlanta Rebels, having gone as far as floating resolutions which would force the team to change their name and identity and institute a league buyout if owner Sy Jackson refused to do so.  Unsurprisingly, Jackson is extremely popular among those who hate Danson, and vice versa.

In 1997 (if my math is correct) is the 50th Victory Bowl. Do you have any plans for the event al a NFL?

Side Note: in your graphic, it says "42nd Victory Bowl" when it should say 43rd.

Congrats to Detroit. I was cheering for the Aces, but as long as Pittsburgh doesn’t win, I’m happy! Great looking matchup, just a snooze of a game. 

The Glads are back!  I trust it'll get more interesting again really soon though.

S/N: Was there a post listing where Victory Bowl XLIII was played at? (if so, I think I missed it)