Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 New Jersey Sharks)

I'm back!

Or at least I will be in the next couple of days.

Before the story resumes, I want to take a moment to thank everybody for their patience and words of support, empathy, and kindness as I've dealt with a lot of stuff in my personal life that has kept me away from the boards over the past few months.  I've posted about it elsewhere on the forums, so I'm not going to go into any great detail here, except to say this.  I've been struggling with crushing depression and anxiety over the past six months (and really most of the past two years).  At the same time, a lot of things in my personal life have imploded or are in the process of imploding, which only exacerbated an already bad situation.  In spite of all of that, I feel better than I have in years.  I feel like myself again for the first time in a long time.  It's coming back slowly, but I've found myself starting to plot out stories and consider logo and uniform changes for the remainder of this project.

A lot of things are still in flux and my world is extremely uncertain and chaotic right now, so I'm not at all certain how quickly I will be progressing.  I don't doubt that progress will be uneven, especially at first as I ease myself back into this.  But I've come to understand that I love designing and writing, and doing those things are an important part of my ability to maintain my mental health.

So I hereby commit to posting new content no later than Sunday night.  We'll be starting with a complete overhaul of the New Jersey Sharks.

13 minutes ago, Veras said:

I'm back!

Or at least I will be in the next couple of days.

Before the story resumes, I want to take a moment to thank everybody for their patience and words of support, empathy, and kindness as I've dealt with a lot of stuff in my personal life that has kept me away from the boards over the past few months.  I've posted about it elsewhere on the forums, so I'm not going to go into any great detail here, except to say this.  I've been struggling with crushing depression and anxiety over the past six months (and really most of the past two years).  At the same time, a lot of things in my personal life have imploded or are in the process of imploding, which only exacerbated an already bad situation.  In spite of all of that, I feel better than I have in years.  I feel like myself again for the first time in a long time.  It's coming back slowly, but I've found myself starting to plot out stories and consider logo and uniform changes for the remainder of this project.

A lot of things are still in flux and my world is extremely uncertain and chaotic right now, so I'm not at all certain how quickly I will be progressing.  I don't doubt that progress will be uneven, especially at first as I ease myself back into this.  But I've come to understand that I love designing and writing, and doing those things are an important part of my ability to maintain my mental health.

So I hereby commit to posting new content no later than Sunday night.  We'll be starting with a complete overhaul of the New Jersey Sharks.

As someone who’s been out of the hospital several times for mental health, I respect you highly and understand your struggles. Take all the time you need, this series is worth the wait anyway < 3

Take as much time as you need.

I'm sorry to hear about what you've endured, but very glad you're feeling better.   

Hey he's back! Don't worry about the delay, I know what its like to be struggling with depression, so take as long as a break as needed, though I'm looking forward to all the new uniforms and stories, and hopefully a few more Bowls for my Ghosts!

I don’t think anyone can describe what Veras has done for the community. He has opened the doors for many to follow his path.

Veras, keep your head up. You’ve made an amazing positive impact to this community.

Welcome back! Mental health is just as important as physical health and obviously that takes priority over anything else. We're glad you're back and I'm looking forward to the first serving of 90's-era AFA.

I'm glad to see that you're doing better! Hope things go well.

The New Jersey Sharks are changing their look, putting even more distance between them and their time in Buffalo.

Old Logos:

1982_new_jersey_sharks_by_verasthebrujah

New Logos:

1990_new_jersey_sharks_by_verasthebrujah

New decade, new colors.  Most people assumed that the Sharks would eventually move away from the Stampeders' maroon and orange color scheme, and would probably adopt some shade of blue.  Instead, they ditched the maroon for black and went with a bolder, darker shade of orange.  "Maroon and orange is a fine color scheme," team owner Sean Cooper explained, "but it's not right for sharks.  Sharks are dangerous and powerful.  Orange and black does a much better job of conveying that."

The team eliminated the old primary logo, replacing it with the vastly more popular helmet alternate (recolored, of course).  To replace it, the introduced a shark fin alternate.  The biggest change, however, was the wordmark.  Rather than the fairly generic original that they adopted after moving from Buffalo to New Jersey in 1982, the team will use perhaps the most unusual mark in the league.

Old Uniforms:

1982_new_jersey_sharks_uniform_by_verast

New Uniforms:

1990_new_jersey_sharks_uniform_by_verast

The new uniforms are certainly bolder than the old ones.  The should and pant stripes are all vaguely triangular, which is meant to imply both shark teeth and dorsal fins.  They are also bringing back the drop shadow jersey numbers that the Stampeders used over their last decade in Buffalo.

Have you thought about putting the shark fin on the helmet alone instead of the face helmet? It would keep the orange shell intact from the old look & I really like the fin logo a lot. 

The Sharks wordmark!!! Absolutely PERFECT for 1990 and a damn good looking logo to boot.

Happy you're back; mental health should always be priority #1, and I'm glad you know we're behind you every step of the way.

That is some intimidating Sharks jersey and the identity is very 90s like! The Sharks are cosmetically fierce on the field! Will it translate to their performance?

Hope everything is going well for you Veras!

Looks like the New Jersey Sharks got a... NEW JERSEY

Love the Sharks look. Looks like they will be one of the teams to usher in the 90s.

Oh man, that wordmark-logo is spectacular. I will say, though, I'm not as big a fan of the new helmets as I was of the old, although I do feel like the black helmet works better overall. Just out of curiosity, what would a color-flipped helmet look like?

Spectacular redesign. I think this color scheme is both perfect for the 90s era and a scheme that could stick with the Sharks. The orange is bold, the helmet looks great. The woodmark is perfect for the 90s (the woodmark aspect I could see being changed in the 2000s or so). The fin logo is nice too, much better than the old primary logo. Very nice work. Glad to have you back! 

I don’t like the number shadow, but hey it works for the time period.

Welcome back, Veras.

I heard what you've been going through lately, but I'm glad you were open and honest about everything. Also, it's great to have you back.

And the new look for the New Jersey Sharks is definitely a huge upgrade over their old look. Additionally, the black and orange color scheme makes them look really fierce.

At least in the coloring, i really gwt some arena ball (NAL) Jacksonville Sharks vibes, but it really stands out on it's own. That drop shadow numbering screams 90s. A way better use of black then the Arizona Firebirds BFBS (Black-for-black's-sake)

9 hours ago, Goran The Man said:

The Sharks are cosmetically fierce on the field! Will it translate to their performance?

god, I freakin' hope.