Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 New Jersey Sharks)

I love both home sets! The black jersey is nice but I am in agreement that there isn't a lot of orange. If this were my league, I'd stick with the orange home set. Years down the road it can be revisited. I'm sure fans would be crying for a black jersey if a photo of the home jersey in black was ever leaked. That might push the sharks to revisit and make updates the next time jerseys are changed. Just my opinion. 

More importantly, bro take care of yourself. I'm glad you are getting back on track. 

On 8/6/2018 at 12:50 AM, BellaSpurs said:

Maybe try an orange collar on the black uniforms and a black one on the white? I can’t remember if any other teams have colored collars but some nfl teams do and it could help balance out the colors on the uniform, and on the black shorts maybe an orange stripe instead of a white one? If that doesn’t be work I think it’ll be okay as is but it’s worth a shot.

I like the orange collar.  It really does break up the black.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:13 AM, BengalSteve said:

I may be late to the party, but I am happy you're back, Veras! New Jersey's new look is pretty solid looking and appropriate for the 1990s as everyone else has said, and I don't remember if you've mentioned it already, but are there any other teams in the AFA or USFA that are getting new uniforms? Any other storylines of interest as we head into the 1990 offseason?

Anyway, I'm looking very much forward to what you have in store, and I hope your health is doing better!

There are going to be a lot of minor changes to AFA uniforms, as more than half a dozen teams switch to the new jersey template.  For the most part, that won't result in significant changes, though some teams will need to make some modifications to the TV numbers and/or striping pattern to accommodate the shorter sleeves.

And the Indiana Warriors will go full 1990s, and make a grab at the wildest jersey in the USFA (which is saying something).

On 8/6/2018 at 11:04 AM, officerpain138 said:

I love both home sets! The black jersey is nice but I am in agreement that there isn't a lot of orange. If this were my league, I'd stick with the orange home set. Years down the road it can be revisited. I'm sure fans would be crying for a black jersey if a photo of the home jersey in black was ever leaked. That might push the sharks to revisit and make updates the next time jerseys are changed. Just my opinion. 

More importantly, bro take care of yourself. I'm glad you are getting back on track. 

I actually like the orange more, but the black feels more 1990s to me.  Honestly, what I really want to do is go mono black with them, but it's just too early.  In the late 1990s or early 2000s, they'll almost certainly adopt an orange alternate and go with black pants full-time.

However, he is the final draft of the New Jersey Sharks.  I'm also showing the logo set with the orange eye on the helmet, because I forgot to make that update earlier.

1990_new_jersey_sharks_by_verasthebrujah

1990_new_jersey_sharks_uniform_by_verast

Insomnia sucks, and I have a solid hour before I need to be up, so I may or may not make another post this morning, depending on whether or not I think I can grab an extra hour of sleep.

13 hours ago, Veras said:

I like the orange collar.  It really does break up the black.

There are going to be a lot of minor changes to AFA uniforms, as more than half a dozen teams switch to the new jersey template.  For the most part, that won't result in significant changes, though some teams will need to make some modifications to the TV numbers and/or striping pattern to accommodate the shorter sleeves.

And the Indiana Warriors will go full 1990s, and make a grab at the wildest jersey in the USFA (which is saying something).

I actually like the orange more, but the black feels more 1990s to me.  Honestly, what I really want to do is go mono black with them, but it's just too early.  In the late 1990s or early 2000s, they'll almost certainly adopt an orange alternate and go with black pants full-time.

However, he is the final draft of the New Jersey Sharks.  I'm also showing the logo set with the orange eye on the helmet, because I forgot to make that update earlier.

1990_new_jersey_sharks_by_verasthebrujah

1990_new_jersey_sharks_uniform_by_verast

Insomnia sucks, and I have a solid hour before I need to be up, so I may or may not make another post this morning, depending on whether or not I think I can grab an extra hour of sleep.

THAT. LOOK. IS. AWESOME. 

Also, take the extra sleep first. We aren't that important.

I agree with you that the black jersey does look more appropriate for the early 90's. You did an excellent job with this team, that final set looks awesome! I never thought that a team named the sharks would have a great set of logos, jerseys, wordmarks, etc without the use of some variation of a blue or teal. But this looks awesome!

Have there been any new TV contracts for the AFA?

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Have there been any new TV contracts for the AFA?

The 1990 season represents the third of four years in rights deals with ABC and ESPN. As in 1989, the 1990 season will feature twelve Sunday Night AFA games. The cablecasts have done well in the ratings and have helped ESPN cement its position in the sports world.

The USFA is entering its final year of the contract with NBC, though the network has the option to pick up the league for 1991 which seems likely at this point. USA's original two-year deal has been renewed for another two years, which means it will run through the 1991 campaign.

With the dawn of a new decade, there was a significant movement toward the new, lighter uniform template, with 7 teams making the change.  With this, 17 of the league's 28 teams will be wearing the v-neck collar and shorter sleeves.  Most teams made no or extremely minor changes to their looks.  Since so many teams have made the change, I'm not going to post all of the old ones, but if you click the team name, it will take your to their uniform history folder.

Cincinnati Guardians - no change, though the stripes now cover the entire sleeve.

1990_cincinnati_guardians_uniform_by_ver

Colorado Centennials - No change

1990_colorado_centennials_uniform_by_ver

Los Angeles Comets - No change

1990_los_angeles_comets_uniform_by_veras

Milwaukee Wolves - TV numbers moved from sleeves to shoulders as they no longer fit on the sleeves.

1990_milwaukee_wolves_uniform_by_verasth

Portland Dragons - Black outline added to the numbers, sleeve stripes narrowed to be more like cuff stripes, white socks will now be worn with both the green and white jerseys, and the white jersey will now have a green collar.

1990_portland_dragons_uniform_by_verasth

Seattle Grizzlies - The numbers on the home jersey will be white instead of gold, and gold outlines will be added to the names and numbers on both jerseys.

1990_seattle_grizzlies_uniform_by_verast

Washington Wasps - no change, other than proportionally shrinking the sleeve stripe pattern to fit the shorter sleeves.

1990_washington_wasps_uniform_by_verasth

I love the Frankfurt Galaxy colors on the Comets. Nice touch.

Seattle's bear logo for some reason kinda looks like Seattle Seahawks meet Barcelona Dragons.

On the Wasps' helmet, is it supposed to be a black shell with gold stripes? I can totally see the stripes being applied the same way the Bengals do theirs.

Miwaukee is definitely getting a "radical" 90s look soon. Also, now that were in the 90s, The checkerboard pattern on the Wolves unis really reminds me of Green Hill from sonic

Someone has probably asked you this before. But currently there are 28 teams in the league, and I'm assuming once we get caught up to present day you'll either finish it or do something else with it. But I was wondering how many teams do you plan to have by then? 30, 32, or more?

I was getting ready to post the new Indiana Warriors look and then the offseason post when I realized that I screwed up the tiebreakers, and thus the seeding, for the 1990 playoffs.  I had to re-simulate every game after the wildcard round, which naturally led to a different champion, and me having to completely redo virtually the entire postseason.  I'm working on it, but it's slow going.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:14 PM, neo_prankster said:

I love the Frankfurt Galaxy colors on the Comets. Nice touch.

Seattle's bear logo for some reason kinda looks like Seattle Seahawks meet Barcelona Dragons.

On the Wasps' helmet, is it supposed to be a black shell with gold stripes? I can totally see the stripes being applied the same way the Bengals do theirs.

I hadn't really thought about the Wasp helmet.  Technically, in Illustrator it's a gold shell with black stripes, though I supposed that practically speaking, since there are four black stripes to three gold, it would make more sense to use a black shell.

On 8/26/2018 at 3:30 PM, TargetToad said:

Miwaukee is definitely getting a "radical" 90s look soon. Also, now that were in the 90s, The checkerboard pattern on the Wolves unis really reminds me of Green Hill from sonic

Milwaukee actually probably won't go full 1990s.  They've been wearing brown and gold with the checkerboard pattern for 30 years.  If they were going to change it, it would have happened already.  Los Angeles, Seattle, and Portland, on the other hand, are very likely to undergo a radical change.  The Comets undergo a major redesign every decade, so that's sure to happen.  Seattle's design is already finished, though I'll hold it until a little later in the decade.  Portland will almost certainly scale up the use of black.

On 8/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, DNAsports said:

I'm excited to see New Orleans get the full 90s treatment 

They're another likely candidate.  If nothing else, the AFA's 50th season will be in 1995, and teams will wear a lot of throwbacks.  Their 1952 uniforms are likely to be extremely popular in the mid-1990s, and will at the very least become a permanent part of the rotation, if not inspire a complete redesign.

1 hour ago, CodeG said:

Someone has probably asked you this before. But currently there are 28 teams in the league, and I'm assuming once we get caught up to present day you'll either finish it or do something else with it. But I was wondering how many teams do you plan to have by then? 30, 32, or more?

I'll probably go to 32.  The move to 30 will happen within next 5 years, and 32 will be in 10-15.

Glad to see the Wasps use a Bengals style helmet, to bad those NJ Uniforms will be out of style in 6-7 years :P

What would be really nice is if the USFA sticks around long enough to have the WLAF-style jerseys with the logos on the chest.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

What would be really nice is if the USFA sticks around long enough to have the WLAF-style jerseys with the logos on the chest.

That’s the last thing I wanna see tbh there’s better ways going about being nineties then those monstrosities. 

10 hours ago, Veras said:

Milwaukee actually probably won't go full 1990s.  They've been wearing brown and gold with the checkerboard pattern for 30 years.  If they were going to change it, it would have happened already. 

I'll honest, looking back at Miwaukee, it's easily the best look of the 60s. Please Never change them, like ever. But Texas though.... The Stallions need a 1997-style redesign (but more Denver Broncos & Miami Dolphins, rather than full Tampa Bay Buccaneers change)

Texas will undergo a full rebrand next season.  I'm not sure if it will be a downgrade or a lateral move, but it's more 49ers than Dolphins/Broncos.

4 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

That’s the last thing I wanna see tbh there’s better ways going about being nineties then those monstrosities. 

Hey! I like the 90s uniforms. XD

They can work if done the right way like the Scottish Claymore jerseys from the WLAF.

23 hours ago, Veras said:

They're another likely candidate.  If nothing else, the AFA's 50th season will be in 1995, and teams will wear a lot of throwbacks.  Their 1952 uniforms are likely to be extremely popular in the mid-1990s, and will at the very least become a permanent part of the rotation, if not inspire a complete redesign.

I am looking forward to a redesign of the Krewe's uniform (90's announcer grunting) TO THE EXTREME!!!