Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: 45th Victory Bowl)

I'm an occasional reader of this thread, and I really can't wait for the expansion! Wondering what those KC and TB uniforms look like...

On 8/2/2016 at 7:13 PM, Veras said:

80vb35COLvsSD.png

1980.3.png

I've been without Internet access for a week, but this is EXACTLY what I wanted to see!

(Okay, the score leaves a little bit to be desired, but still...)

You best believe this original Destroyers fan is out on the sands of Mission Beach celebrating and rocking his #5 Walter Chris Dodd jersey. I'm excited for the future of the franchise.

Congrats, Destroyers. You guys made the plays we didn't, and that's that.

It's bitter, but i'm still proud of this Cents bunch for what they've accomplished the past two years. i have a few fears, notably that people catch on and just start trying to level St. Mark, and that JBG will never get back to the level of this postseason, but this is a talented bunch, and win or lose, Cents nation is certainly proud of it.

Congrats to the Destroyers! Very impressive season. I don't think anyone would have expected them to have a Cinderella season like this! Expectations will be even higher next season, but I think they will disappoint. I could be wrong, but my gut is telling me San Diego won't even make the playoffs. Who knows though, I could  be just crazy from lack of sleep! Well done again with keeping me on the edge of my seat and wanting more. Whenever a season ends, I can't wait to see what happens next! Now do the two expansion teams make their debut this coming season or the following one? I am looking forward to seeing what you came up with for them.

1 hour ago, officerpain138 said:

Congrats to the Destroyers! Very impressive season. I don't think anyone would have expected them to have a Cinderella season like this! Expectations will be even higher next season, but I think they will disappoint. I could be wrong, but my gut is telling me San Diego won't even make the playoffs. Who knows though, I could  be just crazy from lack of sleep! Well done again with keeping me on the edge of my seat and wanting more. Whenever a season ends, I can't wait to see what happens next! Now do the two expansion teams make their debut this coming season or the following one? I am looking forward to seeing what you came up with for them.

The expansion teams play this coming season

I've actually been meaning to give a quick update on what's been going on the two or three weeks.  I've accepted a teaching job, and class starts tomorrow, so I've been pretty busy trying to get ready for that while still holding my old job (though that's over now).  More importantly, my son was born on Thursday, August 18 (7 lbs 7 oz).  We got what we most wanted, which was a health baby and a healthy mommy, but the labor was rough and ultimately required a c-section, so in addition to all of the time demands involved with being a new parent, I also need to tend to a wife who is recovering from surgery.

That being said, I haven't been ignoring the AFA completely.  My next three posts (introducing Tampa Bay and Kansas City, as well as a logo and uniform update for Houston) are all ready to go.  I'll make my first one as soon as voting opens for the NFA's expansion council, so that those things can happen at the same time.

I've also been working on new systems for generating draft classes and advancing players each offseason, the two things that require the most time and effort.  My hope was that this would make the offseason process faster and easier, but I ended up delving a bit more deeply into it than I had originally intended--the excel workbook that generates a single draft class takes up nearly the same amount of memory as the workbook that contains the simulation of every season since the AFA began and the function used for progressing a player over a single season uses 22 formulas and takes into account age, position, player potential, player longevity, injury, the possibility of a breakout season or a player regressing, and random chance.  I'm still working out the exact details of how to run the offseason with the new system in place (I'm considering listing all starters for each team and conducting a full draft rather than just the first round), but I need time to play with it before I can know exactly what I'm going to do, and I'm not sure when I'm going to have time to do that.

I'm probably not going to have any reasonable amount of free time for at least the next 3 weeks, by which point my wife will have recovered from the surgery, and I can hopefully begin to settle into a routine as a father and teacher.  I do hope to move the story along some in that time, but I'll warn everyone not to expect rapid updates until at least that far out.

Thanks to you all for your patience and your continued interest.

Congrats on your baby, congrats on your new job, and good luck with everything that is to come. As much as I've been wanting more of this series, your life comes first, and I don't want this to get in its way. Still excited for what comes next.

Sounds like you got your hands full as it is. If you need to take a bit of time to continue producing the quality of content you have so far, then it's well worth the wait. 

Congrats on the baby. Nothing is more important/awesome than being a father.

Congratulations bro! I hope you are well rested because prepare to not get a full nights rest for a while! I pray your wife has a speedy recovery. Also good luck with your new job. 

As far as the AFA goes, I'm sure we will all understand, especially the fathers who follow this, if you don't post updates for a while. Enjoy this time with your new family. It goes by so quick! My sons already 2 months old and I feel like it's going so fast! 

Congrats again and good luck! 

Congrats on the baby! Just wondering, will the AFA ever consider global expansion to places like London or Mexico City like the NFL is?

Congrats, Veras! I really can't wait for those KC and Tampa Bay uniforms! ?

*bump*

PS: I wonder when the identities for both the Kansas City and Tampa Bay teams will be revealed?

Have you considered doing a printed book? I would buy it. It could have season by season standings and summaries, a uniform database, and franchise histories. I would gladly help. 

Agreed.  This would make a tremendous non-fiction coffee table book.  I'd buy the crap outta this and I haven't bought a physical book in years.

21 minutes ago, DeezNuts said:

I have ideas for the names: 

The Kansas City Outlaws & The Tampa Bay Renegades

(Plz upload the uniforms soon, I can't wait) 

Veras has already decided on the name of the teams. They'll be called the Kansas City Crows and the Tampa Bay Bobcats. Besides, there already has been a Kansas City Outlaws. And a Kansas City Renegades.