Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: 45th Victory Bowl)

Good news!

They have a USFA team, the Birmingham Hammers.

birmingham_hammers_logo__1988__by_verast

birmingham_hammers_uniform__1988__by_ver

Based on your username, you might be a fan of the Portland Dragons in the AFA. Either way, there are links to every team’s looks and an easier way to catch up on league history in the first post of the thread.

I want the Hurricanes to win, but I think it’s a Guardians blowout (again).

11 hours ago, Black Dragon said:

What team should I picked to like 

Go for your local team. For me. It's the Tampa Bay bobcats

12 hours ago, Black Dragon said:

What team should I picked to like 

I feel there are two ways to do this:
1) Pick the local team to where you are. For me, I'm in Green Bay, WI, so that would be Milwaukee. This is not the method I took.

2) Pick based on the team's logo and uniform design. I did this, and picked the Angels early on, expecting the halo on the helmet, as I thought that would be a great, unique look, and I loved the color scheme.

But, really, it's up to you. If you want to be a fan of a team with a classic look with a ton of history, pick the Imperials, Guardians or Captains (or many others). If you want to be a fan of a team that has a cutting edge design and keeps up with the current trends, pick the Comets. If you want a unique design element for your team, pick the Krewe, Suns or Firebirds. Want to root for the team that's least politically correct, pick the Rebels. There's no wrong way to pick!

Though now I want to make one of those "Which team should you root for?" flow charts.

7 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

\If you want to be a fan of a team with a classic look with a ton of history, pick the Imperials, Guardians or Captains (or many others). If you want to be a fan of a team that has a cutting edge design and keeps up with the current trends, pick the Comets. If you want a unique design element for your team, pick the Krewe, Suns or Firebirds. Want to root for the team that's least politically correct, pick the Rebels. There's no wrong way to pick!

Except for the Destroyers. Please for the love of God don't curse yourself with an eternity of mediocrity.

...yes, I am a Destroyers fan, why do you ask?

15 minutes ago, Dan O'Mac said:

I feel there are two ways to do this:
1) Pick the local team to where you are. For me, I'm in Green Bay, WI, so that would be Milwaukee. This is not the method I took.

2) Pick based on the team's logo and uniform design. I did this, and picked the Angels early on, expecting the halo on the helmet, as I thought that would be a great, unique look, and I loved the color scheme.

But, really, it's up to you. If you want to be a fan of a team with a classic look with a ton of history, pick the Imperials, Guardians or Captains (or many others). If you want to be a fan of a team that has a cutting edge design and keeps up with the current trends, pick the Comets. If you want a unique design element for your team, pick the Krewe, Suns or Firebirds. Want to root for the team that's least politically correct, pick the Rebels. There's no wrong way to pick!

Though now I want to make one of those "Which team should you root for?" flow charts.

Want to cheer for the Walking Mediocrity? Cheer for the Crows or Whales! Huh, going to be interesting when Crows fans start diving from the tops of RVs into tables. Please win a playoff game!

I think the Royals and Suns need to join that list, too. The Royals are the only Original 11 team without a title (and Baltimore takes an extra hit because their founding team folded, which is why the Royals could move there in the first place). They haven’t even been to a championship since 1949.

And the Suns wish they were mediocre. The Suns and Crows are the only franchises without a Victory Bowl appearance to their names, but whereas the Crows are 10 years old, the Suns are 40. Oh, and the best player in the history of their franchise was banned for life in a gambling/point shaving scandal, so there’s that.

It would be cool to see a poll of which team is most liked and which team has the most fans, and vice versa.

6 hours ago, Veras said:

I think the Royals and Suns need to join that list, too. The Royals are the only Original 11 team without a title (and Baltimore takes an extra hit because their founding team folded, which is why the Royals could move there in the first place). They haven’t even been to a championship since 1949.

And the Suns wish they were mediocre. The Suns and Crows are the only franchises without a Victory Bowl appearance to their names, but whereas the Crows are 10 years old, the Suns are 40. Oh, and the best player in the history of their franchise was banned for life in a gambling/point shaving scandal, so there’s that.

Have the Suns even won a playoff game? I don't recall them doing so but I could be wrong.

7 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

It would be cool to see a poll of which team is most liked and which team has the most fans, and vice versa.

I hate the way the polls on the forum work, because it automatically pins the thread to the top of the section for some reason, but I am also curious, so here is a Google forms poll.  You shouldn't need to sign in, it won't record your information, and everyone should be able to see the results.  I'll also post it as answers come in.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSezjadbjv5ushmJMzEy_pdiRWWtSfiNRLWJQ8qaXKe78dqo-g/viewform?usp=sf_link

The Angels and the Cents have been the teams that I've typically seen get the most widespread support (except for whoever is playing against Pittsburgh).

2 hours ago, Black Dragon said:

I'm closer to Atlanta so yeah 

If you don't like their look, you may be in for some good news.  There are rumors that Milwaukee Wolves owner Tommy Danson has the votes on the AFA Owners' Council to sanction the franchise if they don't make changes, with penalties up to and including forced sale of the team.  If this is true, then the confederate uniforms could be on their way out the door in the next year or two.

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Have the Suns even won a playoff game? I don't recall them doing so but I could be wrong.

I had to check, but you're right, they're 0-4 in postseason play.  I thought they had knocked off the Rob Connery led Grizzlies once in the early 70s, but I was wrong.  In their defense, however, I overstated their age.  I thought their first season was 1960 when it was actually 1967.  I'm also apparently somehow incapable of subtracting 1960 from 1990.  Either way, they are actually just over 20 years old, not 40 as I originally stated.

11 hours ago, Veras said:

If you want to root for the combo of the new browns and the pre-chuck noll Steelers. Go for the pathetic suns. And by the way. They only won 2 games last year. If I had to guess as to why the Miami Suns have sucked forever, I'd guess Veras is a FSU/Notre Dame/Virginia Tech fan😆

3 hours ago, TargetToad said:

If you want to root for the combo of the new browns and the pre-chuck noll Steelers. Go for the pathetic suns. And by the way. They only won 2 games last year. If I had to guess as to why the Miami Suns have sucked forever, I'd guess Veras is a FSU/Notre Dame/Virginia Tech fan😆

It is no coincidence that they have the same nickname as the Gold Coast Australian rules football team, which have also had a rough start to their existence, failing to make finals in their first eight seasons and not having a winning season.

Here's hoping my Guardians can win the Victory Bowl again, although I personally want the Hurricanes to at least keep it close. Also, I have a few questions: 

1. Have there been any African American owners in the AFA yet? Unless Milwaukee Wolves owner Tommy Danson is African American himself, but then again, MBurmy may know that better. 

2. Speaking of Danson, if the rumors about him getting the league to buy out the Rebels are true, then what will the Atlanta franchise be renamed? Will it depend on who takes over the team? I admittedly would have suggested Engineers as their name back when they began playing in 1968 (As in train engineers, with Atlanta at one point being a railroad town and what not), but then again, that probably would have just encroached on the Philadelphia Railers' branding. 

3. This question is probably more or less meant for Raymie, but are Blake Mitchard and Stanley McKay still ABC's main AFA announcing crew? And who calls Sunday Night Football games for ESPN?

4. Are there any updates on where the 1991 Victory Bowl will be played?

That's all the questions I have for now, and sorry for asking so many of them. Here's hoping for another exciting Victory Bowl!

P.S. Not to go off topic, but has anyone here considered making an AFA Teams Portrayed by SpongeBob meme? I have actually thought of a few ideas for that, such as the clip where SpongeBob and Patrick making fun of Texas the Stallions, LOL.

If Atlanta became the Engineers I would have a soft spot for them, but them as the Rebels, I wish them a pitiful run!

I'm going to be quite honest and say I don't keep up with the people side of things in the AFA, so I wouldn't know who's calling what.

I'll explain what ABC provides, and that's a doubleheader each week. (Think the NFL system but condensed on one network). Most of the country gets their regional games in an early window (12:30 ET), while western teams typically play at 3:30 ET. Coverage is regionalized fairly heavily. Monday Night Showcase is, of course, independent of that. There are a lot of broadcast teams, and particularly in the eastern states, if you receive multiple ABC affiliates you may well have a choice of games to watch.

The New Jersey Sharks play an inordinate amount of late games because they cannot conflict with New York or Philadelphia. There have been a couple of cases where the AFA and ABC granted dispensation for the teams to air opposite each other with another station taking the New Jersey game. In fact, the ability to make this situation more normalized and increase schedule flexibility is one of the reasons the AFA has considered bringing in another network alongside ABC in the past.

(Actually I'd like to see an example week in the AFA so I could devise what that schedule might look like.)

5 hours ago, Raymie said:

I'm going to be quite honest and say I don't keep up with the people side of things in the AFA, so I wouldn't know who's calling what.

I'll explain what ABC provides, and that's a doubleheader each week. (Think the NFL system but condensed on one network). Most of the country gets their regional games in an early window (12:30 ET), while western teams typically play at 3:30 ET. Coverage is regionalized fairly heavily. Monday Night Showcase is, of course, independent of that. There are a lot of broadcast teams, and particularly in the eastern states, if you receive multiple ABC affiliates you may well have a choice of games to watch.

The New Jersey Sharks play an inordinate amount of late games because they cannot conflict with New York or Philadelphia. There have been a couple of cases where the AFA and ABC granted dispensation for the teams to air opposite each other with another station taking the New Jersey game. In fact, the ability to make this situation more normalized and increase schedule flexibility is one of the reasons the AFA has considered bringing in another network alongside ABC in the past.

(Actually I'd like to see an example week in the AFA so I could devise what that schedule might look like.)

I don't know if this is a question for you or Veras but does the AFA have a blackout policy like the NFL did?