Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: 45th Victory Bowl)

On 12/4/2018 at 4:01 AM, Veras said:

Good news!

They have a USFA team, the Birmingham Hammers.

You missed calling them the Birminghammers.

Kidding aside, this is an exceptional series and I remember events in my life based on when things happened in this league.  Is this the longest running fictional league in sports logos history?

2 hours ago, n312rb said:

Kidding aside, this is an exceptional series and I remember events in my life based on when things happened in this league.  Is this the longest running fictional league in sports logos history?

It was the first one, but I think the @hawkfan89 has had more seasons of his PHL than Veras has had for the AFA.

I can confirm that “sunny and beautiful Hollywood, Florida” has never been sunny or beautiful on any time that I had the misfortune of being in the Miami area.

21 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Wow. What a classic. If anything else, I think Hudson has a little bit more fuel for his revenge fire...time for some fun in '91.

Also, it's been so great to see Reggie Hart's career develop over time. I think he's the most transcendent player in AFA history; I can only imagine the endorsements he's racking up right about now.

Hart is indisputably an all-time great and an easy first ballot Hall of Famer.  Winning that third ring puts him in a pretty exclusive club of quarterbacks.  The other members are William Klaidman (DET '61, '62, and '64) and Steven Taylor (WAS '75, '77, and '78), plus Charlie Kadlec (NY '46, '47, '48, and '50), James Thomas (PIT '58, '60, '63, and '66), and Ron Furness (PIT '66, '69, '71, and '76).

He's been truly transformational, as well.  Thanks largely to his success, Black quarterbacks are likely to enter the AFA in much larger numbers throughout the 90s than the did in the NFL.  On top of that, he has changed the way that people think about the quarterback position.  He's by no means the first dual-threat QB (Ron Adams, for example, was once a running threat, as well), but nobody has ever brought his level of athleticism to the game.  Look for scramblers to be much more prominent in the coming years.

12 hours ago, n312rb said:

Well, Birminghammers was the joke that I was going for.

9 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

It was the first one, but I think the @hawkfan89 has had more seasons of his PHL than Veras has had for the AFA.

Actually, one other person attempted it first, but it never went anywhere.  Before I started posting, I looked around to make sure that I wasn't going to be stepping on anybody's toes or anything like that.  I found one thread that was for a fictional sport, but it didn't really go anywhere.  If I recall correctly (and this was almost 5 years ago, so I may not), the author only created four teams and posted one or two seasons.

Also, you should definitely read @hawkfan89's thread.  It's very, very good, to the point that reading his work was one of the things that really kept me going (and focused on coming back to this) when I was not doing very well over most of this year.

9 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I can confirm that “sunny and beautiful Hollywood, Florida” has never been sunny or beautiful on any time that I had the misfortune of being in the Miami area.

Really?  I've never been to Hollywood, but my wife has family in Delray Beach, and I loved Delray and Boca Raton when we were down there.  Except for the traffic.

I was briefly re-reading some older seasons when I saw that Generals was almost chosen as the nickname for Atlanta, and that it might be a good name to go to if they decide to get away from Confederate imagery in the 90s (which is now). Is there still any possibility of that or would they more likely just go with different imagery?

Any chance of updating the Google Map of AFA Stadiums anytime soon?