Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: Wildcard Round)

And the Ghosts lose by one game.... Again..... At least we keep getting high draft picks

Looks like this season was the one for many mediocre-level teams (i.e. San Diego, Texas, Colorado). I'd love to see what the surprises for this year's playoffs will be!

LOL, The Dragons had a losing season for the first time in forever. And The Stallions actually made the playoffs, knowing their luck, The Miners are going to :censored:ing blow them out. The times are a changing in the AFA (Though The Guardians still suck), I can't wait for the expansion council.

And we have TWO first-time playoff qualifiers this year...since my Wolves turned into Pound Puppies this year, my dream Victory Bowl is Destroyers vs. Stallions!, 

Destroyers! This ship finally has a course!

Also, I wonder who's going to be the Mercury Morris of the Cents i.e. the guy who never shuts up about the 14-0 season.
Is it Blitz? It has to be Blitz.

7 hours ago, BengalSteve said:

Well, it's a pity the Imperials were kept out of the playoffs by tiebreakers, and the Guardians continue to be the Guardians, but at least the Stallions finally got a playoff berth, so congrats to them. Looking forward to the playoffs, Victory Bowl, and Expansion Council, which I might even come up with a character for this time around even!

The Imperials had a weird season.  For some reason, they repeatedly choked at home against division opponents, but won on the road.  They were 1-3 in New York (Boston being their lone win) and 3-1 elsewhere (failing only to beat Pittsburgh).  If they had managed to win even one more of those home games, they would have been division champs.

6 hours ago, Steelman said:

My jaw dropped when I saw that 14-0 from the Cents. They've been that team on the verge of a breakout, but I doubt anyone imagined anything like this. Pretty incredible for them.

Glad to see the Destroyers make some progress. A playoff win over a quality team like Minnesota would be a huge early boon for the franchise.

Nobody expected that from Colorado.  They were widely seen as being a borderline playoff team, probably somewhere between 8th-12th in the league.  The interesting thing is that it is difficult to point to an individual player who was responsible.  That's part of the reason that Connery was chosen as MVP.  Most voters wanted to give the award to the best player on the best team, but there was a great deal of disagreement as to who the best player was.  This was a total team effort, in which every member of every unit raised the play of their teammates.

Seeing the Destroyers win 10 games is a bit of a surprise, but perhaps not too much of one.  They were 7-7 last year, but really came together in the second half of the season.  Going into opening day, they were seen as having an unusually wide gap between their floor and their ceiling.  That they came within a game of Seattle is perhaps somewhat unexpected, but they were a popular sleeper pick for a wildcard spot.

6 hours ago, seancarter said:

when are you going to introduce rivial league 

I don't have any plans to do one.  Basically, this is already a massive undertaking that consumes the majority of my free time (that's not a complaint, I love doing it).  However, just managing the coaches and rosters of an additional 8-12 teams would push it past the breaking point, nevermind developing the logos, figuring out the schedules, etc.

4 hours ago, CodeG said:

And the Ghosts lose by one game.... Again..... At least we keep getting high draft picks

The funny thing is that the Northern Division has been seen as weak for quite some time.  Since the last Victory Bowl appearance of the Gladiators dynasty in 1966, Northern Division teams are 3-13 in postseason play.  The 1975 Butchers are the only Northern Division team with a Victory Bowl appearance in that time (they lost to Washington), and only the 1975 Butchers and 1973 Ghosts have even advanced past the first round.  The division also only produced one wildcard playoff team since then, the 1975 Gladiators.

It looked like that was beginning to turn around, however.  Detroit was expected to be weaker following the retirement of QB Rob Reich, and Cincinnati is still Cincinnati, but on paper Chicago and especially Cleveland looked better than they have in a long time.  The division was expected to be a dogfight, and the winner was seen as having a real chance at at least making it to the semifinals.  Obviously, it didn't play out that way this year, but the Ghosts do still have reason to be optimistic about their playoff chances moving forward.  They have a solid core of players, and benefit from playing in a weak division.

2 hours ago, Darknes said:

And yet Bsoton didn't do the worst in the league

Yeah, their week 14 win against Buffalo generated some mixed emotions.  On one hand, they won a game that denied a division rival a spot in the postseason.  At the same time, that spot went to Pittsburgh instead, and while Captains fans have no love for the Stampeders, their hatred doesn't reach Pittsburghian levels.  The win didn't hurt them to badly in the draft.  If they had lost to Buffalo, they would have had the #6 overall pick.  Instead, they'll go at #9.

38 minutes ago, FDW said:

LOL, The Dragons had a losing season for the first time in forever. And The Stallions actually made the playoffs, knowing their luck, The Miners are going to :censored:ing blow them out. The times are a changing in the AFA (Though The Guardians still suck), I can't wait for the expansion council.

Ha.  Some things never change.  It's the dawn of a new decade, but the Guardians of Cincinnati are still in the basement.

25 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

And we have TWO first-time playoff qualifiers this year...since my Wolves turned into Pound Puppies this year, my dream Victory Bowl is Destroyers vs. Stallions!, 

A note on the fact that San Diego and Texas qualified for the postseason:  Atlanta is now the only team in the league that has never made the playoffs.

Destroyers vs Stallions would be an interesting game because it would pit two very different defensive styles against one another.  Would the 3-4 or the 4-3 come out on top when put head to head?

As for the Wolves:  I hate to say it, but this could be an indication of their future.  They could lose a lot of starters to retirement this offseason, and a coaching change could be in the air.  Edgar Bachman was allowed to keep his job last year because the team determined that his genius outweighed his liabilities.  If 5-9 is the best that he can do, then the team may be forced to reevaluate the costs and benefits of having him under contract.

2 hours ago, Asterix777 said:

(excited guy eliminated for size)

I had a feeling that you were going to enjoy this year, lol.

And Centerritory goes wild! I imagine that has to be a blow to the backers of a bid in Kansas City, which would rob Colorado of the eastern third of its fanbase (at least defined by the old '74 territorial plans - who do people in KC and Omaha root for now?).

6 hours ago, Raymie said:

And Centerritory goes wild! I imagine that has to be a blow to the backers of a bid in Kansas City, which would rob Colorado of the eastern third of its fanbase (at least defined by the old '74 territorial plans - who do people in KC and Omaha root for now?).

Actually, I'd imagine a similar situation to the NHL nowadays, where The St Louis team is the most popular. The Aces haven't been consistently successful, but they do have 2 Victory Bowls under their belt.

Frankly, I think Kansas City is due a team, but we'll have to see how things go.

finally..... about time Texas made the playoffs! It is time to storm the era, Stallions! Go Gary Brun! I know Miners got alot of playoffs history far more as much of other teams, but this should be interesting with both defenses in the game. 

Colorado made the history -- first undefeated season, Congrats (BUT not the whole season yet if they won the Victory Bowl first)

10 hours ago, Veras said:

A note on the fact that San Diego and Texas qualified for the postseason:  Atlanta is now the only team in the league that has never made the playoffs.

Poor Rebs fans, I didn't even realize this. Any chance they'll make the playoffs next year?

1 hour ago, FDW said:

Actually, I'd imagine a similar situation to the NHL nowadays, where The St Louis team is the most popular. The Aces haven't been consistently successful, but they do have 2 Victory Bowls under their belt.

Frankly, I think Kansas City is due a team, but we'll have to see how things go.

I don't think he's talking about Kansas City itself, but the territory to its west.  Right now, the eastern part of Kansas is in Aces territory, but the western 2/3 of the state and most of Nebraska falls in the Cents media market.  All of that would presumably shift to Kansas City were they to win an expansion bid.

34 minutes ago, JMtexan09 said:

finally..... about time Texas made the playoffs! It is time to storm the era, Stallions! Go Gary Brun! I know Miners got alot of playoffs history far more as much of other teams, but this should be interesting with both defenses in the game. 

Colorado made the history -- first undefeated season, Congrats (BUT not the whole season yet if they won the Victory Bowl first)

Actually, Colorado is the first team to go 14-0, but they are not the first team to have an undefeated regular season.  Three other teams have made it to the postseason without a loss, one of which was undefeated and untied.  The 1955 New York Imperials went 11-0-1, the 1957 Washington Wasps were 9-0-3, and the 1960 New Orleans Krewe went 12-0.

Interestingly, none of those three teams won the Victory Bowl.  The 1955 Imperials went to the big game, but suffered a 13-10 upset at the hands of Minnesota.  The other two didn't even survive the first round.  The 1957 Wasps lost to Cleveland 6-10 after losing their star RB to an injury in practice a few days before the game.  The 1960 Krewe lost 20-10 to Detroit in what would be the first of 5 consecutive seasons that the Gladiators eliminated the Krewe from the playoffs (6, if you count the fact that Detroit's victory over New Orleans in the regular season kept them out of the playoffs altogether).

This information actually has a few superstitious Cents fans somewhat nervous.  Is three instances of undefeated teams failing to win it all enough to be considered a pattern?  A curse?  Coach Clyde Mitchell has dismissed this as ridiculous, saying "Sometimes good teams get overconfident and lose in the playoffs.  We're not going to let that happen, and we're not going to be nervous about games that happened so long ago most of the players aren't old enough to remember them."

7 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Poor Rebs fans, I didn't even realize this. Any chance they'll make the playoffs next year?

They were much better this year, going 7-7 and actually looking for a while like they might be able to challenge the Wasps for dominance in the division.  If this improvement continues, they could very easily find their way into the postseason as early as next year.  In a weird reversal, it is their QB, Tom Porthan, who may hold them back.  He has spent his entire career in Atlanta, and has typically been one of the best players on the team.  He's a very good, though not great player, but has never really had much help.  This year, the rest of the roster definitely took a leap, and was much better, but he took a step back.  He was still a solid starter, but it's not inconceivable that within a few years, the player who has carried this franchise through virtually its entire existence could become their biggest liability.

For what it's worth, Atlanta has only been around since 1968, which means that they have missed the postseason 12 times (including this season).  That's frustrating, but it is 10 years shorter than Cincinnati's league-long streak.  Other teams who have been waiting a long time for glory include the Whales, who have been in the league since 1952, but have never qualified for the Victory Bowl; and the Royals, the only surviving founding member of the AFA that has never won a title.

The Atlanta Rebels sound a lot like the New Orleans Saints of the same era. The Saints did not make the playoffs until their 21st season which was also their first winning season. Even the QB situation sound similar with Archie Manning QBing the Saints from 71 to 82.

Billy Reed, 28, born in 1949

Billy Reed was one of the hot singers during the age of rock'n'roll in the late 60's at a young age, soon accompaning the king himself in the studio and helped write songs with him. This made him a pop image but not as much behind Elvis himself, he gained a sustantial wealth during his time with Elvis and soon made his own record company in 1973 called "Ghoul Blues" in Memphis, TN, due to his love for the AFA team, Cleveland Ghosts. He helped release Elvis' songs during the 70's which grew his wealth even more. However, he had another obsession along with music in which he saw the incline of football and saw there wasn't much of any in his hometown of Memphis in which he wished to use his sustantial wealth to create a football organization in there.

However, before he managed to gain enough funds to create a proposal, the shocking news of Elvis Presley's death, almost crippled the big singer's company to the point that he needed to start from the ground up but decided it was too early to begin preperations and soon joined the council of the AFA, to potentially help the league and soon enough own a team, but he is happy where he is even without a team and has made some great friends with the other representatives and the commissioner, despite his young age.

Billy Reed is ready for the AFA expansion!~

Well, this year is very interesting.

I do have to admit I'm happy to see the Stallions do well, but I do hope the Krewe's rebuild doesn't take long.

The odd thing is that I'm still scared of Washington beating out the Grizzlies and then riding that hot hand.

Hello everyone,

I've followed this forum for 6 months or so and I've finally decided to get an account for the expansion council. All I can say is the work that Veras does is simply unbelivable. I'm ready for the playoffs and expansion council!

On a side note I believe I am the only whales fan to have ever existed.

It's awesome to see that the Stallions finally made it to the playoffs! Hope they can get the win over the historic Pittsbugh Miners!

I can't believe my Imperials or Stampeders couldnt get it done. I can honestly say I hate the Miners as much as I hate the Dallas Cowboys. I really hope the Miners become awful soon and suffer a historic playoff drought that lasts the next 30 years!

1 hour ago, officerpain138 said:

I can't believe my Imperials or Stampeders couldnt get it done. I can honestly say I hate the Miners as much as I hate the Dallas Cowboys. I really hope the Miners become awful soon and suffer a historic playoff drought that lasts the next 30 years!

Not gonna happen as long as Willie Krause is still alive & well...