Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: Wildcard Round)

48 minutes ago, New York's Greatest said:

Fair enough, I was just hoping to here something prior to reading...but alas no spoilers for me.

It was fun before I had a team to follow. Even if your team isn't relevant (mine went 4-12), it's still a hell of a read. So make sure you have plenty of free time because it'll take awhile to get caught up. But once you do, you'll be begging for more.

21 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

But once you do, you'll be begging for more.

Good lord, this sentence is so cringey.

IMG_1391.JPG

Off topic sentences aside, let's get 'er done in a few years Crows.

3 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

Good lord, this sentence is so cringey.

IMG_1391.JPG

Off topic sentences aside, let's get 'er done in a few years Crows.

In hindsight, that was a poor word choice. Jonesing would've been far more fitting.

And yes, let's go Crows. Speaking of the Crows, how did Greg Benham do this year and how many people wish they had taken Fryer?

Whales 9-7? Not bad, but it just seems we can't break through. Hopefully our offense was better, but it's hard being in such a good division.

Before I respond to your comments, I have a quick question for you.  As part of my plan to keep things moving, there are some ways in which I'm hoping to save a little time.  The playoff graphic that I've been using takes forever to rearrange thanks to the seed-based matchups.  The template below (which is populated with the 1980 postseason) is much easier to deal with.  It's based on the system that I've used when making NFL postseason predictions by hand for most of my life.  This is a very sparse version, a final draft would include a bit more polishing, but is it at least legible?

Postseason-Format.jpg

EDIT:  It also shows a slightly cleaned up version of the Ghosts logo which (if I ever get the face right) I'll retroactively apply as their logo from the last rebrand.

13 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Still proud to be a Destroyers fan!

Wow, I surely wasn't expecting that from the Bobcats. Here's hoping Fryer doesn't retire in one year like the aforementioned Quicksilver did.

Also, I'm willing to bet the Grizzlies lose in the first round again.

Fryer retiring like Quicksilver would be a longshot.  He's looking to have a long, productive career.

Seattle losing in round one is a distinct possibility.  With an aging roster around him, it's starting to look like Connery may never get that monkey off his back.

11 hours ago, CodeG said:

Good too see the Ghosts back in the playoffs. Any chance they could beat San Diego and become a Cinderalla team? 

It's very possible.  They've been on fire recently, and the number one seed has been one and done in three of the last four years, so it's not out of the question.  On the other hand, San Diego matches up very well against Cleveland.  Ezekiel Dogwood has lost a step this year, which has left Cleveland increasingly relying on power back Jose Ortuno as a workhorse.  The Destroyers have arguably the best front 7 in the game, and they're built for power over speed.  There are going to be some brutal collisions in that game, and San Diego is probably still the tougher team.

8 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

So I haven't been on the thread in a while, have the Imperials been relevant recently?

The thread hasn't moved in a while, so you probably haven't missed much.

They've been underachieving.  Ron Adams is the only QB in the league who can realistically challenge Seattle's Rob Connery for the AFA's best at the position, but they keep failing to make deep playoff runs.  Part of it has been a lack of talent around Adams, but the team has been improving on that front.

6 hours ago, Red Comet said:

And yes, let's go Crows. Speaking of the Crows, how did Greg Benham do this year and how many people wish they had taken Fryer?

Benham was okay.  He had some big moments, but made a lot of rookie mistakes.  He definitely has the potential to be very good, especially as the team grows up around him.  But you're right, Gary Fryer is clearly the better of the two players, so there are a lot of fans that are unhappy that the Crows didn't bleed Tampa dry to allow them to move up to the first pick, and then take Fryer at number two.

5 hours ago, ~Bear said:

Whales 9-7? Not bad, but it just seems we can't break through. Hopefully our offense was better, but it's hard being in such a good division.

They almost certainly would have made the postseason had they been in a weaker division.  It's not hard to see them going 10-6 or 11-5 if they had played in the North.  The offense didn't take as much of a step forward in the first year under new head coach Myron Christiansen, but there is still time.  We'll see what he can do next year.

3 hours ago, Raymie said:

It's nice to see you back!

Thanks, it's good to be back!

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I do like the simplicity of it. If it's coupled with a description that says "Pittsburgh 0-27 Buffalo" for instance, it's perfect.

*John Sebastian voice* "Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back..."

1. I see the Tommy Danson era in Milwaukee is still off to a slow start...but I'm still hopeful that it's just things getting worse before they get better.
2. Yes, that new playoff graphic is legible (at least to me)...up to you whether you go with it,.

I like the new graphic. I think I would prefer thicker lines if you're going to stick with the team colors on the lines. It's pretty compact as-is, so if you wanted to let it breathe a bit more you could stagger the first row of matchups a bit so each matchup is on a slightly different plane. My eye wanted to immediately identify scores. Like, 1 and 8 on the current plane. Drop 2 and 7 down by half the height of the scoreboxes, and so forth. Just an idea. Should the VB matchup have a centered up-line, since neither team can advance? Or would you switch the line to the other box if the lower seed won? (layout design guy coming out, lol) But I agree with Raymie, as long as there is still a text description, it simply illustrates how each team would have to progress to win a VB.

THE DRAGON HORDE IS BACK BABY!!! WERE GOING ALL THE :censored:ING WAY!!!

And yeah, the playoff graphic is actually kind of cool if you ask me.

Also, tell more about this years Dragons, and, for old times sake, hows the record against The Whores looking?

Welcome back bro! This season seems to be very exciting. As an Imperials fan, I'm excited but very worried about winning without our star QB. I'm excited about Buffalo though. Wouldn't that be a kick to the teeth if your a buffalo fan. Team wins the championship and then leaves. As always you keep the suspense up and I look forward to what you come up with! I hope the family is doing good, my little guys bottom two front teeth are coming in so I've had a couple rough nights lately. 

20 hours ago, Raymie said:

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I do like the simplicity of it. If it's coupled with a description that says "Pittsburgh 0-27 Buffalo" for instance, it's perfect.

I'll still do the scoreboard template with the uniforms for each individual game, so there will be that.  This is just to track the overall progression and easily see what the coming week's matchups will be.

20 hours ago, MBurmy said:

*John Sebastian voice* "Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back..."

1. I see the Tommy Danson era in Milwaukee is still off to a slow start...but I'm still hopeful that it's just things getting worse before they get better.
2. Yes, that new playoff graphic is legible (at least to me)...up to you whether you go with it,.

Yeah, the Danson era is getting of to a slow start.  They may have the least talented roster in the league at the moment.  They have Knight Roberts and... that's pretty much it.

18 hours ago, Steelman said:

I like the new graphic. I think I would prefer thicker lines if you're going to stick with the team colors on the lines. It's pretty compact as-is, so if you wanted to let it breathe a bit more you could stagger the first row of matchups a bit so each matchup is on a slightly different plane. My eye wanted to immediately identify scores. Like, 1 and 8 on the current plane. Drop 2 and 7 down by half the height of the scoreboxes, and so forth. Just an idea. Should the VB matchup have a centered up-line, since neither team can advance? Or would you switch the line to the other box if the lower seed won? (layout design guy coming out, lol) But I agree with Raymie, as long as there is still a text description, it simply illustrates how each team would have to progress to win a VB.

I'll definitely do thicker lines.  I had the scores slightly offset as you suggested at first, but I thought it was less legible.  It makes the rounds run together.  I don't want to center the Victory Bowl, because I want each team's scores to stay in a column.  I probably shoudln't have used 1980 as the example, since the lower seed won every game, it makes it look kind of odd being shifted all the way to the right.

9 hours ago, FDW said:

THE DRAGON HORDE IS BACK BABY!!! WERE GOING ALL THE :censored:ING WAY!!!

And yeah, the playoff graphic is actually kind of cool if you ask me.

Also, tell more about this years Dragons, and, for old times sake, hows the record against The Whores looking?

I'll have to get back to you on that.  It'll take me a bit to calculate it, so I'll have to take a look this weekend.

7 hours ago, officerpain138 said:

Welcome back bro! This season seems to be very exciting. As an Imperials fan, I'm excited but very worried about winning without our star QB. I'm excited about Buffalo though. Wouldn't that be a kick to the teeth if your a buffalo fan. Team wins the championship and then leaves. As always you keep the suspense up and I look forward to what you come up with! I hope the family is doing good, my little guys bottom two front teeth are coming in so I've had a couple rough nights lately. 

Yep, things are going great.  He rolled over unassisted for the first time yesterday, he's becoming quite good at grabbing objects, and he's started laughing a lot (I have waist-length hair, and he finds it hilarious when I let it fall over my face and then flip it back).

Wow what a season! I was hoping the North would be more competitive. And I guess it was to a degree but not in the way I was expecting(I mean an overtime game between the guardians and ghosts sounds pretty epic!). So the Guardians went 8-8, with all the off-season acquisitions from the Hart pick up to the draft, would the team consider this a mediocre finish or a step in the right direction? Regardless, I think they will do better next year with a full season under their belt.

New graphic flows well and seems like a great fit!

81r1g1NYvsPOR.png

Going into the game, the biggest question was whether or not the Imperials could overcome the disadvantage of having backup quarterback Will Davis at the helm of the offense.  It didn’t take long for that question to be answered.  After RB Glen Howell was stuffed for a 3 yard loss on first down, Davis attempted his first pass of the day on 2nd and 13.  He took an aggressive shot downfield and badly overthrew his intended target, so much so that it’s wasn’t even clear who he was aiming for.  FS Steve Thorpe caught the ball near midfield, and returned it to the 33, which eventually set up a field goal.

Throughout the rest of the game, just about everything broke Portland’s way.  Early in the second, they extended their lead to 10 as rookie RB Russell Tobin took it in from 4 yards out.  New York pushed into Portland territory, looking to answer, but Thorpe ended the drive with his second pick of the day at the 31.

Early in the third, New York’s slim hopes were crushed.  The Dragons had again driven deep into Imperial territory.  On 2nd and goal from the 4, Tobin muffed a handoff, and the ball hit the turf, and bounced into the end zone.  Both teams dove on top of it, and when the scrum was cleared, Portland RG L.T. Bayer had it.  At 17-0, it was only a three score game, but the home crowd was completely deflated.  If Portland could score even when they screwed up, what hope did the Imperials have to get back into it?

A 48 yard field goal 5 minutes into the fourth quarter allowed New York to avoid the embarrassment of a shut out, but they wouldn’t so much as pick up another first down.  Portland kicked another field goal in the final two minutes to go up 20-3, and advance to the quarterfinals.

81r1g2SEAvsPIT.png

As was the case with the first game of the day, it didn’t take long for big plays to start in Seattle.  30 seconds into regulation, LB Russ Osborne blew past the Seattle O-Line untouched and laid a crushing hit on QB Rob Connery.  The ball was jarred loose, and bounced into the hands of LE Ronald Kong, who carried it 9 yards into the end zone.

The teams traded punts, but then the Grizzlies managed to overcome their shaky start and settle into a groove.  A 4 yard touchdown pass to TE Rob House, a 46 yard field goal, and a 2 yard touchdown run by Chuck Keil in the span of 15 minutes gave the Grizzlies a 17-7 lead, and they looked to build on that momentum going into the half.  With just over 3 minutes remaining, SS Phil Walker intercepted a pass at the Seattle 14, derailing Pittsburgh’s attempt to get back into the game.  The offense came back onto the field, and managed to set up K Rod Boyle for a 50 yard field goal attempt with 36 second remaining in the quarter.  Unfortunately for the home crowd, the kick sailed wide right, and the Grizzlies went into the locker room with disappointment on their minds.

The Miners got back into the game early in the third, thanks to another forced fumble.  This one came when FS Jamie Smith leapt over a blocker and put his helmet on the ball, knocking it out of the hands of RB David Boots.  LB Roy Joyce fell on it at the Seattle 25.  Two plays later, RB John Coffee danced his way into the end zone to make it 17-14.

A comeback wasn’t in the cards, though.  The looked like they would score again on their next possession, but QB Steve Beltram, under pressure, tried to force a pass into double coverage, and it was intercepted.  Seattle would add 10 points in the fourth and hold Pittsburgh scoreless.  When time ran out, Seattle was up 27-14, and Rob Connery had finally won his first playoff game.

1981_postseason_by_verasthebrujah-dawtuu

Quarterfinals Previews

Buffalo Stampeders vs Texas Stallions

This is a strength on strength matchup.  Buffalo fields a strong offense led by QB Dick Katz, RB Jim Gore, and WR Frank Veenhuizen, while Texas relies on an aggressive 3-4 defense that generates a lot of takeaways.

Both teams have considerable weaknesses, though.  33-year old Stampeders RB Jim Gore has been wearing down over the second half of the season, leaving the offense one-dimensional at times.  Texas is prone to turning the ball over, with QB Mikey McGowan playing like a gunslinger without the arm strength to pull it off, and RB Kelvin Barker being extremely fumble-prone, especially under pressure.

The two teams met in Dallas in week 7, and played one of the worst games in AFA history.  They combined for 9 turnovers and less than 300 yards of total offense as the Stallions won in overtime, 6-3.

San Diego Destroyers vs Cleveland Ghosts

Throughout most of the season, San Diego would have been the obvious favorite, but Cleveland will enter this game as arguably the hottest team in the league.  Still, San Diego would seem to have the edge.  They’re anchored by a strong defensive front, especially up the middle, while Cleveland’s attack is built on the legs of power back Jose Ortuno.  The Destroyer front 7 may be too much for Ortuno, which may force Cleveland to put the ball in the hands of QB Frankie Farragut, who is usually not much more than a game manager.

Tampa Bay Bobcats vs Colorado Centennials

This game features a matchup between arguably the best two young RBs in the league, Tampa’s Gary Fryer and Colorado’s Tom Blitz.  However, media attention in the week leading up to the game has been focused on the QBs.

Colorado’s Joey Branson-Greene and Tampa Bay’s Rob Nettleton were 2 of the top 3 picks in the 1973 draft, but this is the first time that they will start against each other (Nettleton’s Imperials faced off against Branson-Greene’s Cents in 1974, but Nettleton missed the game).  Neither player really lived up to their potential, but Branson-Greene has undoubtedly been a better player.  The teams began trading insults in the media when comments made by Nettleton were taken out of context.  He simply said that part of the reason for Branson-Greene’s success was that he was surrounded by a more talented cast in Colorado than he, Nettleton, had been in his 8 years in New York and Philadelphia (which is undeniably true).  The Cents, however, interpreted this as a shot at their QB, and vowed to punish Nettleton and the Bobcats.

Tempers flared on both sides, so look for this to be a violent, competitive game.

Seattle Grizzlies vs Portland Dragons

This is one of the league’s most intense rivalries.  These two teams hate one another, and it shows every time they play.  This is the first time that they’ve met in the postseason.

Seattle should win this game easily.  Portland has scraped by this year, partially on grit and partially on luck, but there is a sense around the league that they don’t belong this deep in the playoffs.  Seattle, on the other hand, is led by one of the league’s great quarterbacks, coming off of the first playoff victory of his career.  There is a sense that this is finally Seattle’s year.

The teams split the series this season, with Seattle annihilating the Dragons 38-0 in week 4 in Portland, and the Dragons upsetting the Grizzlies 28-21 week 11 in Seattle.  That game cost the Grizzlies their division lead (which they never regained), so look for Seattle to be out for revenge.

Well, I see the rivalry with The Care Bears as similar to the Raiders-Chefs rivalry, where theres at least a sense of mutual respect on both sides. The hate filled one so far is The Whores, though this week could change that. THE DRAGON HORDE IS GOING TO TAKE THE CARE BEARS PIK A NIK BASKETS!!!

22 minutes ago, FDW said:

Well, I see the rivalry with The Care Bears as similar to the Raiders-Chefs rivalry, where theres at least a sense of mutual respect on both sides. The hate filled one so far is The Whores, though this week could change that. THE DRAGON HORDE IS GOING TO TAKE THE CARE BEARS PIK A NIK BASKETS!!!

Who ya calling Care Bears? Go you Grizzlies!

Expected the see the Grizzlies blow another game, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see them advance. Though, the Dragons have a better chance than most would think. This is an intense rivalry that goes beyond the gridiron. It's a rivalry between two cities. This game sounds like it's going to be ugly and I'm calling a Dragons victory as time expires.

Predictions ??

Casper and the unfriendly Ghosts upset the San Diego (soon to be LA) Destroyers

The 100 beat Tampa Bay *insert generic feline name*

Buffalo Bills... Wait... Stampeders over The Cowboys.... Wait Colts... Wait Stallions

and finally the Chokers beat the Chokers 

2 hours ago, CodeG said:

Casper and the unfriendly Ghosts upset the San Diego (soon to be LA) Destroyers

You take that back!

In other news: Holy hell, Seattle actually won a playoff game. Against the Miners no less.

I bet this leads to two things:

1) Connery gets his ring.

2) Krause, humiliated by losing to the historically choke-tastic Grizzlies, decides to finally retire.