Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: Wildcard Round)

oh man oh man oh man oh man!!! Texas!!!!!! This time you guys gotta win this Victory Bowl!!!! Oh man!!! beat the Cents! 

As a Colorado sports fan currently living in Dallas, this is a VB matchup i've definitely wanted to see. I like that the stallions have molded themselves in our image, but so long as they don't have a punishing safety like Portland does, i think Danny St. Mark finally has his postseason breakout game and does enough to get the job done, while Bob Jonas goes Von Miller on the Stallions offense. 17-7 Colorado.

Ken Hughes is good friends with Joey Branson-Greene, and has long said he's a Quarterback who's deserved a ring. Now he's got a suite in Pasadena and is ready to watch his beloved Cents take home another Title.

Come On, Cents!

Ok - so since November, there haven't been any real "concepts" on this thread. There was a potential playoff tree, but that was subsequently scrapped from what I can tell. 

Additionally, when I see comments like this just a few pages back...

Start reading! The story's great whether your team is good/relevant or not.

...it tells me that we're venturing off from the actual concept portion to more of a blog. Let's try and re-focus back to the artwork and less of the "story". Thank you.  

This thread has been running for nearly three years, and I've been doing pretty much the same thing the entire time, so forgive me but I'm a bit taken aback as to why this is suddenly a problem, particularly since you cited positive feedback to support your position.  I haven't posted a lot of new art since November because I haven't posted a lot since November.  Between Thanksgiving and two weeks ago, I only made one post containing new content.  Since I did start posting regularly again, I've posted a new playoff bracket (which wasn't abandoned - I just already had this season finished in the old template), a championship logo, and a revision to one of the team logos.  I didn't devote a specific post to either of the final two because the championship logo never seems like a big deal, and the team logo wasn't completely ready until today.

But if it's important that I do those things, here they are.  First, we have the 36th Victory Bowl logo.

36th_victory_bowl_logo_by_verasthebrujah

It's the first time that the logo has used Roman numerals.  Traditionally, the logo would have said 36th instead of XXXVI, but the look is less dramatic, and since the CFA had been using Roman numerals instead of Arabic ones, I made the switch.  I'm not yet certain if it's going to be a permanent change or just a one-time thing.

Next, here's where I am on the new playoff bracket template.

1981-Bracket-4.jpg

The game summary template includes the digital scoreboard, so I wanted to try something different here.  I went with a brick texture, hoping to get the appearance that it's painted onto the wall.  I'm not exactly sure what I think, so I'm definitely looking for feedback.

And here is the field for the upcoming Victory Bowl, which is pretty similar to what has been used in recent years.

36th-Victory-Bowl-(Pasadena).png

I'll post the game itself later tonight.  The Victory Bowl and the Super Bowl will start at about the same time.

Logo looks great for the time period, really reminds me of some of the super bowl logos from the 80's! I hope the victory bowl never goes to a template haha field looks immaculate btw. Definitely a visually appealing match up. Keep up the great work!

81vb36COLvsTEX.png

In a game featuring two teams that have been to Victory Bowls in recent years, there were no jittery nerves on either side, especially on defense.  Both defensive units came out playing on fire.  Neither team allowed a first down for the game’s first 10 minutes.  At that point, momentum swung Colorado’s way thanks to a blocked punt, which allowed them to start a drive at the Texas 22.  They took advantage of the good field position, making it into the end zone on a 5 yard run by RB Tom Blitz.

The Stallions defense bounced back, and it wasn’t until midway through the second quarter that either team managed to put together a long drive.  Colorado took the ball from their own 14, and drove all the way to the Texas 2 before Tom Blitz took it into the end zone, dragging two Stallions defenders with him as he scored his second touchdown of the day and his 8th of the postseason (tying Will Silver’s postseason record from 1975).

Trailing 14-0 with 5:21 until the half, the Stallions offense knew that the game could quickly get out of hand if they didn’t start moving the ball soon.  With the pressure on, they finally found a spark, churning out yards until they faced a 2nd and goal from the 6 with under 30 seconds remaining.  They ran a sweep to RB Kelvin Barker to the outside, who got wrapped up at the 4.  However, instead of going to the ground, he fought for extra yardage, allowing LB Paulie May to tear the ball loose and fall on top of it.  Colorado took their two touchdown lead into the half.

Texas did manage to get on the board in the third, as Clarence MacDougall hit a 37 yard field goal on their first possession of the quarter, and another from 23 yards on their last.  The fourth quarter began with the Cents leading 14-6, and they maintained their lead.  They opened the quarter with a drive ending in a 37 yard field goal, answering the 3 points that the Stallions had put up to end the third.

Neither offense had much success throughout the remainder of the game.  Colorado added another 3 points on a 47-yard field goal with 3:34 remaining, making it a 14-point game.  The Stallions pushed into Cents territory on the ensuing drive, but an interception by CB Mel Spencer at the 34-yard line ended the drive with 2:37 left on the clock.  The Cents pounded the ball with Tom Blitz an FB Don Johnson repeatedly, and managed to run out the clock.

The 36th Victory Bowl would go down as one of the most boring in history, but that didn’t bother Colorado fans.  The Cents were Victory Bowl champions for the first time since 1965.

1981_postseason_by_verasthebrujah-dawtuu

3 hours ago, Veras said:

81vb36COLvsTEX.png

In a game featuring two teams that have been to Victory Bowls in recent years, there were no jittery nerves on either side, especially on defense.  Both defensive units came out playing on fire.  Neither team allowed a first down for the game’s first 10 minutes.  At that point, momentum swung Colorado’s way thanks to a blocked punt, which allowed them to start a drive at the Texas 22.  They took advantage of the good field position, making it into the end zone on a 5 yard run by RB Tom Blitz.

The Stallions defense bounced back, and it wasn’t until midway through the second quarter that either team managed to put together a long drive.  Colorado took the ball from their own 14, and drove all the way to the Texas 2 before Tom Blitz took it into the end zone, dragging two Stallions defenders with him as he scored his second touchdown of the day and his 8th of the postseason (tying Will Silver’s postseason record from 1975).

Trailing 14-0 with 5:21 until the half, the Stallions offense knew that the game could quickly get out of hand if they didn’t start moving the ball soon.  With the pressure on, they finally found a spark, churning out yards until they faced a 2nd and goal from the 6 with under 30 seconds remaining.  They ran a sweep to RB Kelvin Barker to the outside, who got wrapped up at the 4.  However, instead of going to the ground, he fought for extra yardage, allowing LB Paulie May to tear the ball loose and fall on top of it.  Colorado took their two touchdown lead into the half.

Texas did manage to get on the board in the third, as Clarence MacDougall hit a 37 yard field goal on their first possession of the quarter, and another from 23 yards on their last.  The fourth quarter began with the Cents leading 14-6, and they maintained their lead.  They opened the quarter with a drive ending in a 37 yard field goal, answering the 3 points that the Stallions had put up to end the third.

Neither offense had much success throughout the remainder of the game.  Colorado added another 3 points on a 47-yard field goal with 3:34 remaining, making it a 14-point game.  The Stallions pushed into Cents territory on the ensuing drive, but an interception by CB Mel Spencer at the 34-yard line ended the drive with 2:37 left on the clock.  The Cents pounded the ball with Tom Blitz an FB Don Johnson repeatedly, and managed to run out the clock.

The 36th Victory Bowl would go down as one of the most boring in history, but that didn’t bother Colorado fans.  The Cents were Victory Bowl champions for the first time since 1965.

Wow. This is almost an exact copy of the Super Bowl so far. Just a little more scoring and incredible pick-sixes.

EDIT: Forget everything I said. 

Edited by Magic Dynasty

That Cent defense allowed a grand total of 9 points in the playoffs. Pretty incredible.

Also, can't remember if I mentioned it before. That VB logo is super clean. Excellent work there.

The updated playoff tree graphic is interesting, not something I'd expect from you, but creative nonetheless. I found the big red X's to be a little off-putting for some reason. Maybe grayed out logos would be better? But I see where the painted X's come into play with the brick wall. It all doesn't seem particularly 80's to me, seems more like a 90's grunge style. But it's a fresh look so I generally like it.

Congrats to the Cents! I expected them to finish the job especially since the Destroyers got knocked out.

I like the brick wall with the VB logo on it for your bracket. I am not a big fan of that style of bracket. The old style you have been doing is cleaner in my opinion. This new style is just to busy for me. The VB logo itself, like I said in a earlier post, looks awesome! It definitely looks it belongs in this time period for a championship game logo. I love the roman numerals instead of the traditional 30th, 31st, 32nd, etc. For this logo it fits well and I would like to see a mix of both the traditional and the roman numerals in the future. And the championship field is also well executed. I really hope you don't abandon using the team helmets on the field.

All in all, you did a great job with this season! Not how a Imperials fan wanted to see it end, but still an amazing job! Now lets say bye bye to Buffalo and bring on the New Jersey Sharks!!!

Image result for whyyy???? gif

WHHYYYYY DOES STALLIONS KEEP ON CHOKING IN VICTORY BOWL?!!!!

19 hours ago, Veras said:

This thread has been running for nearly three years, and I've been doing pretty much the same thing the entire time, so forgive me but I'm a bit taken aback as to why this is suddenly a problem, particularly since you cited positive feedback to support your position.  

The feedback I cited hasn't been about the artwork presented. It's been more about "Go Team (Insert name here)" and planning on what said team needs to do in the offseason, etc. has nothing to do with actual concepts being posted. My opinion, this is becoming a "history of a fictional league blog hosted in the concepts section" versus an actual concepts series. It defeats the purpose of concepts area: to showcase artwork for constructive criticism and feedback in order to become a better designer. 

I haven't posted a lot of new art since November because I haven't posted a lot since November.  Between Thanksgiving and two weeks ago, I only made one post containing new content. 

..and that's perfectly fine. We all get busy with real life from time to time. However, you've posted about 20 times since then updating the story with limited responses about the actual concepts here. In fact, if you can tell me how this "offseason" post relates to what an actual concept is, I'll be more than happy to allow the thread's course continue. 

But if it's important that I do those things, here they are.   

It is. Posting actual artwork concepts is the purpose of this section of the forum. I don't mind if it tells a story, but there should be (and should have been from the get-go) more art and less storytelling. 

AND THE DROUGHT IS DEAD!! What a postseason run by this defensive unit and Tommy boy! 

Mr. Hughes took great joy in walking the VB trophy up the stage and handing it to his beloved Cents, and for the next few weeks at least, the residents of the Rockies can celebrate their heroes. 

Now let's get out there and defend that title!

6 hours ago, Asterix777 said:

AND THE DROUGHT IS DEAD!! What a postseason run by this defensive unit and Tommy boy! 

Mr. Hughes took great joy in walking the VB trophy up the stage and handing it to his beloved Cents, and for the next few weeks at least, the residents of the Rockies can celebrate their heroes. 

Now let's get out there and defend that title!

Looks like someone is going to have to update their signatures...

28 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Looks like someone is going to have to update their signatures...

Indeed Indeed... Take your time, though, Veras. No Rush.

Also, with it mentioned, what's happened to the blogspot? I know it's on 1970, but no idea when that was put it. Considering recent circumstances it might become a lot more important...

^Agreed that blogspot could be very beneficial with what's been mentioned. 

I like the idea of presenting the field and logo of each Victory Bowl though. Especially since around this time in real life the Super Bowls had distinct logos. 

It appears, Veras, you have created a category in this community. And now there is a subforum just for it. Congratulations.

Glad to see the moderator team do the right thing here and give you a subforum opposed to shutting you down completely after 3-years! 

Makes me wish the NFA was in here too, probably would've garnered more of a following. Damn I'm wishing I couldve kept it going now! 

I believe Veras created something more than a concept series. He created something more than that. He created something amazing and realistic. Something beautiful. And now his work has been honored.

Also,GO BUTCHERS!