Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: Wildcard Round)

Another season of just missing the playoffs? Ugh..... I was hoping Minor could finally prove himself & get us back to a VB, but it wasn't meant to be. 

Another awesome regular season in the AFA is down in the books! Also, I noticed about the Victory Bowl logo that it doesn't say where the game will be played. Was that intentional? Will the host of the 40th Victory Bowl be a surprise?

For some reason I think a team like Atlanta, Houston, or Boston will have a run of excellence in the future similar to how the real life Patriots sucked and were forgetable most of their existance but are now a national brand. Just my prediction though.

Man, my Imperials just can't catch a break... thanks to the Southern Division!

Are the New York Imperials AFA's equivalent to the NFL's Arizona Cardinals? Or are they more like the New York Giants, who -- after winning the NFL Championship in 1956 -- didn't win another one for 30 years?

1985 Wildcard Games

85r1g1clevsmin_by_verasthebrujah-dbjdmxr

In a game that was expected to be a nail-biter, the Ghosts returned to their Victory Bowl-winning form, while the Angels looked old and tired.

Cleveland kicked off the scoring early, as the game’s first drive ended with a 33-yard touchdown pass from Therron Nikoloudis to TE Eddie Meyer.  They would go on to score a total of 31 unanswered points in the first half, including a 23-yard field goal by Arthur Kerr, a 38-yard pick six by CB Kevin Rubin, and a pair short runs by Jose Ortuno.  The Angels managed to cross into Ghost territory only once in the first half, and that drive ended with a sack fumble by DE Dan Bendon that set up one of Ortuno’s touchdowns.

Minnesota showed signs of life in the second half, as Tim Kewley threw touchdown passes to start both the third and the fourth quarters.  A two point conversion would cut the deficit to 31-15 with 10:16 remaining, but the Ghosts answered with a backbreaking possession that would run 6:26 off the clock and end with Nikoloudis scoring on a QB sneak.  The Angels kept fighting, but Kevin Rubin grabbed his second pick of the day on the ensuing possession to end the already infinitesimal hope for a comeback.

85r1g2detvssd_by_verasthebrujah-dbjdn4u.

Bad weather is usually responsible for sloppy games in the AFA, but playing in the comfortable Autodome, neither team could place the blame for their sloppy play on the elements.  The first quarter was scoreless, but featured three turnovers:  an interception by San Diego QB Walter Dodd, and fumbles by Detroit WR Frank Jones and San Diego RB Randy Klein (both of which occurred in the red zone).

The Gladiators finally got on the board early in the second on a three yard run by RB Johnny Hewitt, but just 8 minutes later, John Lewis, facing intense pressure from a blitz, threw a terrible pass directly into the hands of DE David Lebouf.  Facing a short field, the Destroyers scored 2 plays later on an 11-yard pass from Dodd to TE Don Brejcha, sending the game into the half tied at 7.

Both teams looked better in the second half, and fought bitterly for the lead.  On several occasions, tempers boiled over, resulting in shoving matches, and only after San Diego CB Mason Conway and Detroit WR Jacob Peake were ejected did the fighting stop.

Detroit opened the half with a John Lewis touchdown pass, retaking a 7 point lead.  Most of the third quarter was uneventful (other than the fighting), but with just under 4 minutes remaining, the Destroyers pushed to the Detroit 1 before an incredible goal line stand by the Gladiator defense forced them to settle for a field goal.  The Gladiators answered with 3 points of their own to start the fourth, but San Diego tied things up with 5:42 remaining when Randy Klein scored a walk-in touchdown.  John Lewis answered with a strong drive, pushing into the red zone with under 2 minutes remaining.  However, on 3rd and 5 from the 16, WR Paul Leighty dropped a wide open pass, and the Gladiators were forced to settle for a field goal.

Trailing 20-17 with 1:35 on the clock and no timeouts, Dodd led the San Diego offense onto the field, and began marching toward the Detroit end zone.  With 20 seconds on the clock, they had a 1st and 10 from the 17.  Dodd took the snap and was levelled by LB John Schneider.  The ball came loose, and as both teams dove for it, it was knocked back toward midfield.  Three different players managed to touch it without gaining control, as the clock ticked down and the ball kept rolling.  Finally, RG Leland Ham managed to fall on top of it, all the way back at the 35.  The Destroyers lined up as fast as they could, and Dodd spiked it with 4 seconds remaining.  The Destroyers had lost 18 yards on the play, and now needed a 52-yard field goal just to force overtime.  Fortunately for San Diego fans, K Jeff Austin came through, drilling the ball through the uprights.

The drama continued in the extra period.  San Diego won the toss, but a muffed handoff between Dodd and Klein just three plays later allowed the Gladiators to take control at the Destroyer 17.  They sent the kicking unit out for what appeared to be a chip shot.  However, holder Dallas Nabors bobbled the ball and set it poorly, and the kick failed to reach the goal line.

Minutes later, Jeff Austin connected from 43-yards out at the other end of the field, giving the Destroyers an improbable 23-20 victory in one of the most poorly-played (but exciting) games in AFA history.

1985_afa_postseason_bracket_by_verastheb

AFA Magazine Quarterfinals Previews

Guardians of Cincinnati vs Boston Captains

On paper, Cincinnati is the better team by a wide margin.  Their quarterback, running back, receivers, both lines, and linebackers are unquestionably superior.  It is debatable which team has better corners, while Boston is stronger at safety and on special teams.  However the Guardians have not yet proven that they can win in January, so the game is being treated as far more of a tossup than one might expect, and many people are choosing the Captains as a trendy upset pick.  Don’t believe it – the better team will win, Guardians 28-17.

Atlanta Rebels vs Houston Hurricanes

Few people expected either of these teams to make the playoffs, much less for Atlanta to hold the top seed.  On paper, they should have the edge.  The Hurricanes offense relies on QB Tom Hudson’s arm, but Atlanta’s superstar cornerback tandem of Rick Roudebush and Tony Febbraio should be able to completely shut down anyone Houston can throw at them.  This will put the game squarely on the shoulders of rookie RB Matt Cotten.  Teams holding the top seed are just 2-2 in the quarterfinals since the postseason expanded to 10 teams, but there won’t be another upset this year.  Atlanta earns their first trip to the semifinals, 21-14.

Cleveland Ghosts vs Colorado Centennials

This will be Colorado’s third trip to Cleveland in the past 12 months.  The two teams met in the quarterfinals last season, where the Ghosts trounced the Cents 42-10, and in October, where the Ghosts won a 26-20 overtime thriller on a 67-yard punt return touchdown.  As is always the case when these teams meet, this will be a battle of power rushing attacks and strong defenses.  Jose Ortuno and Tom Blitz are probably the two best backs in the league, and the winner will be determined by who of the two has a better day.  Cleveland can’t win three in a row – Cents win, 17-14.

California Whales vs San Diego Destroyers

One could argue that the Destroyers are the more talented of these two teams, but the Whales just seem to have their number, having won 5 of their last 6 matchups.  Central to the Whales’ success is the play of CB Lewis Cashmore, who lives rent-free in Walter Dodd’s head.  Over the past three years, he has averaged more than an interception per game when facing San Diego (and indeed, the team’s lone loss to the Destroyers over that time came when Cashmore was out with an ankle sprain).  The Destroyers will do everything that they can to avoid the corner, but it is hard to imagine them having much success without including top wideout Jerry King in the offense somehow.  California’s run of success will continue – Whales win 27-20.

Uhh the Graphics are conflicting it says San Diego won by 3 on the Playoff Tree but the Scoreboard said Detroit won by 17

On 8/6/2017 at 4:24 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

Another season of just missing the playoffs? Ugh..... I was hoping Minor could finally prove himself & get us back to a VB, but it wasn't meant to be. 

Oh, they're not even close to being considered Victory Bowl contenders yet.  Minor is a superstar in the making, but he's carrying a garbage roster.  His presence is pretty much the only significant difference between the .500 team today and the 4-12 team that had the number one pick two years ago.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, BengalSteve said:

Another awesome regular season in the AFA is down in the books! Also, I noticed about the Victory Bowl logo that it doesn't say where the game will be played. Was that intentional? Will the host of the 40th Victory Bowl be a surprise?

That was a mistake.  I copied the partial logo instead of the full one.

The game will be Sunday, February 2, 1986 at the Huey P. Long Dome in New Orleans.

On 8/6/2017 at 1:51 PM, Cardinal said:

For some reason I think a team like Atlanta, Houston, or Boston will have a run of excellence in the future similar to how the real life Patriots sucked and were forgetable most of their existance but are now a national brand. Just my prediction though.

There is an extent to which it has already happened a little.  They went to 3 Victory Bowls in 4 years in the early 1970s, winning 2 of them, but before that they had never really done much.  They had some really rough years, and even when they were good in the 1960s, they couldn't get past Detroit (seriously, the Gladiators knocked them out of the playoffs 5 years in a row).  Washington also had a long history of struggle before winning 3 titles in 4 years, though they did kind of randomly win one in the late 1960s.

2 hours ago, JH42XCC said:

Man, my Imperials just can't catch a break... thanks to the Southern Division!

Are the New York Imperials AFA's equivalent to the NFL's Arizona Cardinals? Or are they more like the New York Giants, who -- after winning the NFL Championship in 1956 -- didn't win another one for 30 years?

The Giants are a good comparison, as would be the Browns or probably most accurately, the pre-1997 Packers.  They won a whole bunch of titles a long time ago, and haven't managed to break through since.

Then again, they've come close.  They were champions in 4 of the first 5 seasons, but have lost 4 Victory Bowls since then.  Is there really a good NFL parallel for that?

6 minutes ago, Darknes said:

Uhh the Graphics are conflicting it says San Diego won by 3 on the Playoff Tree but the Scoreboard said Detroit won by 17

Oops.  It looks like I have the quarter-by-quarter score right, but forgot to total San Diego's final score.  Thanks for the catch, I'll fix it right away.

32 minutes ago, Veras said:

The drama continued in the extra period.  San Diego won the toss, but a muffed handoff between Dodd and Klein just three plays later allowed the Gladiators to take control at the Destroyer 17.  They sent the kicking unit out for what appeared to be a chip shot.  However, holder Dallas Nabors bobbled the ball and set it poorly, and the kick failed to reach the goal line.

Minutes later, Jeff Austin connected from 43-yards out at the other end of the field, giving the Destroyers an improbable 23-20 victory in one of the most poorly-played (but exciting) games in AFA history.

27 minutes ago, Veras said:

Oh, they're not even close to being considered Victory Bowl contenders yet.  Minor is a superstar in the making, but he's carrying a garbage roster.  His presence is pretty much the only significant difference between the .500 team today and the 4-12 team that had the number one pick two years ago.

That was a mistake.  I copied the partial logo instead of the full one.

The game will be Sunday, February 2, 1986 at the Huey P. Long Dome in New Orleans.

There is an extent to which it has already happened a little.  They went to 3 Victory Bowls in 4 years in the early 1970s, winning 2 of them, but before that they had never really done much.  They had some really rough years, and even when they were good in the 1960s, they couldn't get past Detroit (seriously, the Gladiators knocked them out of the playoffs 5 years in a row).  Washington also had a long history of struggle before winning 3 titles in 4 years, though they did kind of randomly win one in the late 1960s.

The Giants are a good comparison, as would be the Browns or probably most accurately, the pre-1997 Packers.  They won a whole bunch of titles a long time ago, and haven't managed to break through since.

Then again, they've come close.  They were champions in 4 of the first 5 seasons, but have lost 4 Victory Bowls since then.  Is there really a good NFL parallel for that?

Oops.  It looks like I have the quarter-by-quarter score right, but forgot to total San Diego's final score.  Thanks for the catch, I'll fix it right away.

Yes, hard to draw an NFL parallel to the Imperials' journey over the last three-and-a-half decades.   I will draw a comparison, though, with their 1985 season with the NFL: it feels like it could've been similar to the 1997 Jets, who were all set up for the playoffs only to fall flat by losing three of their last four, including a demoralizing season finale in Detroit when a rookie RB and a backup QB threw key red zone interceptions all because the coach didn't like the starting QB.  Ah well...

By the way, I really like the design of that playoff tree; I'd love to see the NFL adopt your seeding policy as well.  

I'm going

Rebels
Guardians
Whales
Centennials

My predictions are:

Houston cheeses their way past Atlanta 

Cincinnati finally wins a playoff game

California edges out a win vs San Diego 

Cleveland wins three in a row vs Colorado

2 hours ago, Veras said:

The Giants are a good comparison, as would be the Browns or probably most accurately, the pre-1996 Packers.  They won a whole bunch of titles a long time ago, and haven't managed to break through since.

Fixed it for ya

Sounds like the Krewe are reminiscent of the Colts when they took Peyton Manning at the moment..... a team that's being carried by a stud QB. Hopefully they are netting solid pieces in the draft to help him out. I want to see some playoff football for the Krewe is all.... is there any other bright spots on the roster? 

As for the playoffs: I'm going Guardians, Canes, Ghosts & Whales. I hope I can get some of these matchups right unlike last time.  

Rebels finally git er done against the Hurricanes

Guardians are no longer known as the Gaggers of Chokecinatti, Sink the Captains

Destroyers beat the Whales in an upset

Cents get revenge against the Ghosts

LETS GO CLEVELAND!!! #WeWant2

Again the Magazine picks The Guardians... I just hope they aren't wrong this time lol Also interesting victory bowl logo departure from roman numerals. I sthe logo inspired by the super bowl 50 logo and the NFL 75th anniversary patch?

10 hours ago, JH42XCC said:
13 hours ago, Veras said:

The Giants are a good comparison, as would be the Browns or probably most accurately, the pre-1996 Packers.  They won a whole bunch of titles a long time ago, and haven't managed to break through since.

Fixed it for ya

Right.  I just glanced at the year the Super Bowl was held, and didn't think to subtract 1.

1 hour ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Sounds like the Krewe are reminiscent of the Colts when they took Peyton Manning at the moment..... a team that's being carried by a stud QB. Hopefully they are netting solid pieces in the draft to help him out. I want to see some playoff football for the Krewe is all.... is there any other bright spots on the roster? 

As for the playoffs: I'm going Guardians, Canes, Ghosts & Whales. I hope I can get some of these matchups right unlike last time.  

I don't know if that's the best comparison.  With him on the field, they had two losing seasons (his first (3-13) and third (6-10) year).  Other than that, they always won at least 10 games.

If anything, the current Colts might be a better comparison.  They have a good QB who could be great, but is basically asked to carry the team around him with very little support.  Nevertheless, they have a shot at making the playoffs because their division isn't what you would call formidable.

As for their best players not named Minor...

RT Dewey Hartwig is very underrated, and would probably be an All-Star if he played for a better team.  They have a few young players, like TE Ron Murray and LB Dennis Diebold, who could develop into stars, but aren't quite there yet.  DE Jeff Woodcheke, who has been the best player on the team for quite some time, took a step backwards this year in his age 30 season.  I suppose it's also worth mentioning FS Arthur Pourchot, who looked very good in his first 3 years out of Alabama.  However, he suffered a potentially career-ending injury in week 6.  Even if he comes back, it remains to be seen if he will have the same explosion, which is what made him so dangerous.

33 minutes ago, Red-Knight said:

Again the Magazine picks The Guardians... I just hope they aren't wrong this time lol Also interesting victory bowl logo departure from roman numerals. I sthe logo inspired by the super bowl 50 logo and the NFL 75th anniversary patch?

It's not.  I've seen that logo before, but I forgot about it until you mentioned it.  

Actually, now that I'm looking at that logo, I can tell you that it was designed using the exact same thought process that I had.  The 75th anniversary is the diamond anniversary, hence the diamond shape.  The 40th anniversary is the ruby anniversary, hence the ruby shape (and the red color).  They just both happen to be gemstones.

In fact, my first draft looked even more like the NFL 75th - I had lines very similar to what they used, but erased them because it made everything too busy.

Hopefully the Guardians can win a playoff game for once. To go on and win the Victory Bowl on the 40th anniversary of the AFA as a charter member would be cool.

Well I know I am a little late to the party, but the Imperials and Sharks are frustrating the hell out of me! How does Boston win the division? At least Pittsburgh tanked.

The San Diego game was interesting. I am hoping they can come up with a New York Giants style run to a VB victory! 

The VB logo is decent, I would have hoped something more New Orleans style. But it is kind of early for that. Super Bowl logos in the 80's weren't very personal to the host city and were mostly red, white and blue. 

I'm looking ahead a bit but for the 40th anniversary, any plans for teams to wear throwbacks from 46? I think it'd be great to see Cincy wear their 46 uniforms!