Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: Wildcard Round)

Well I was half right, but either way this should be a great Victory Bowl. I'm gonna say the Guardians keep the Victory Bowl in Ohio and I'll even go so far as to predict the score. 20-16 Cincinnati.

14 hours ago, Dancersimage13 said:

Hoping for a Guardians triumph.  Just curious when did Cincy move out of Taft stadium into the new arena and what is the location of both. Sorry couldn't tell from the map

Blakemore Stadium opened in 1967.  It is actually located on the same lot as Paul Brown Stadium.  I've never attended a Reds or Bengals game, but I've been to that part of the city to go to the Underground Railroad Museum, and I love that little stretch of land by the river too much to break it up.

The stadium seats 71,250, has artificial turf, and the lease runs through 1992.

13 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Y'know, I'm starting to wonder if the Rebels' name will eventually reach Redskins tier.

There have already been some calls for a change, the loudest of which has come from Adrian Doom, a star MLB for the Baltimore Royals.  The Royals and Rebels have competed pretty intensely for the Southeastern Division title over the past four years, so they already have a pretty intense rivalry anyway, but Doom added to it last season when he gave an interview to Baltimore Sun reporter Mike Klingaman in which he talked about how much he hated the Rebels, saying that he found it disgusting to force Black players to dress as people who fought to keep their ancestors enslaved.

12 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

I want Atlanta to win a Victory Bowl so when the name is inevitably challenged they can pull a "muh tradition" and become this universes version of the Redskins

The name may or may not survive, but the overt Confederate imagery - particularly the uniforms - cannot last forever.  If nothing else, once free agency becomes an option, a lot of high-profile Black players will likely outright refuse to go to there if it means having to dress as a Confederate soldier.

12 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Rebels versus Guardians and it'll be in New Orleans. At the time, the city was about half black and half white. Bringing in a team rife with Confederate imagery is going to be interesting in the Chinese sense. 

Yeah, and there is more to it than that.  Remember, Hart is one of only two African-American quarterbacks in the AFA (the other is LA's Will Douglass).  So it's not just Confederate imagery, it's a team decked out in Confederate imagery going up against a team led by a guy who is something of a hero in the Black community.

On top of that, there has already been an unfortunate history with racial tension and the Victory Bowl in New Orleans.  New Orleans hosted the 17th Victory Bowl (1962 season), and the Krewe just happened to qualify.  They went up against Detroit, who had knocked them out of the playoffs in each of the previous three years.  The game was extremely close.  With a minute and a half to play, Detroit was up 14-13, but the Krewe pushed deep into Gladiator territory.  On third and goal, RB Willy Hardwick was wrapped up a yard short of the end zone.  Instead of going to the ground and setting up would probably would have been the game-winning field goal, he fought to stay on his feet, and stretched the ball toward the goal line.  LB Stanley McKay (who is now one of the lead commenters for Monday Night Football, btw) knocked the ball loose, and S James Hubble recovered it, securing Detroit their second straight Victory Bowl.

Racial tensions were already extremely high in 1962-63, and Hardwick's error ignited the powder keg.  He received death threats, and there were a number of racially-motivated acts of vandalism and violence over the ensuing few weeks.  It led to New Orleans going 17 years without hosting another Victory Bowl, despite the warm weather and central location.

I'm pulling for the Rebs. Cincinnati can be this universe's Vikings.

3 hours ago, Veras said:

Hart is one of only two African-American quarterbacks in the AFA (the other is LA's Will Douglass).  So it's not just Confederate imagery, it's a team decked out in Confederate imagery going up against a team led by a guy who is something of a hero in the Black community.

On top of that, there has already been an unfortunate history with racial tension and the Victory Bowl in New Orleans.  New Orleans hosted the 17th Victory Bowl (1962 season), and the Krewe just happened to qualify.  They went up against Detroit, who had knocked them out of the playoffs in each of the previous three years.  The game was extremely close.  With a minute and a half to play, Detroit was up 14-13, but the Krewe pushed deep into Gladiator territory.  On third and goal, RB Willy Hardwick was wrapped up a yard short of the end zone.  Instead of going to the ground and setting up would probably would have been the game-winning field goal, he fought to stay on his feet, and stretched the ball toward the goal line.  LB Stanley McKay (who is now one of the lead commenters for Monday Night Football, btw) knocked the ball loose, and S James Hubble recovered it, securing Detroit their second straight Victory Bowl.

Racial tensions were already extremely high in 1962, and Hardwick's error ignited the powder keg.  He received death threats, and there were a number of racially-motivated acts of vandalism and violence over the ensuing few weeks.  It led to New Orleans going 17 years without hosting another Victory Bowl, despite the warm weather and central location.

I'm also going to add this sentence from New Orleans' Wikipedia page: "From 1980, the African-American majority has elected primarily officials from its own community. They have struggled to narrow the gap by creating conditions conducive to the economic uplift of the African-American community."

I hope the NOPD has their riot gear on standby--part of me feels like they might need it.

I think I'm just gonna end up with a bad taste in my mouth if the Rebels win, so I'm rooting for the Guardians here. Can't wait until the Atlanta Traitors are complete garbage in 20 years with a 95% white roster.

I'm thinking Atlanta wins and as a result, New Orleans will burn like the LA Riots but 6 years early. Either way, this sounds like the most controversial Victory Bowl to date and we haven't even seen kickoff yet.

I want Cincy to kick the Rebels down & make them burn. I don't like anything about the team's identity & never have. It's always looked drab to me & the history behind the name has always made me twitch, and I'm a Canadian. 

I hope that the crowd in New Orleans is at least respectful & enjoys the game. We can deal with other concerns later. 

So with all the confederate imagery for Atlanta, is a name change in the cards somewhere down the road because especially recently that's been a problem some team mascots have faced

12 minutes ago, GreatBigGrizzly said:

So with all the confederate imagery for Atlanta, is a name change in the cards somewhere down the road because especially recently that's been a problem some team mascots have faced

Scroll up and you will find your answer.

From what I can tell, race relations were relatively peaceful in the mid 1980s, with the only major instances of unrest coming in response to racially-motivated police brutality, so widespread violence is unlikely.  It isn't difficult to imagine the fans inside the stadium getting out of hand, though.  Alcohol sales will be restricted, and security inside the stadium will be intense.  Overly rowdy or aggressive fans will be ejected with little warning, particularly since the league is just four years removed from the Emerald City Brawl, in which fans and stormed onto the field and were involved in a fight with players in a playoff game between Seattle and Portland.

I will always be Reggie Hart's biggest fan, since he is the last remaining remnant of the NFA!  

On 8/13/2017 at 5:38 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

Y'know, I'm starting to wonder if the Rebels' name will eventually reach Redskins tier.

Very interesting timing to say that, because here in AZ 1985 was the year a school named the Rebels dumped its mascot on the advice of a committee of parents! It was, however, a very unpopular decision with the students at the school, so much so that 90 percent of students boycotted the name change vote and there was a walkout of 200 students in March of that year. Here's a relevant excerpt:

Tuesday's student protest, which school and police officials called orderly, was in response to a recent recommendation by a parents group to change the nickname to something less "offensive." Those parents, explained Principal Josephine Pete, herself a longtime south Phoenix resident, feel the name reflects negatively on the community and is a reminder of the Civil War and slavery. "They're trying to say that there's nothing but blacks and Hispanics here, and why should we want to be Rebels," student Joe Velasquez said. "Well, we aren't white. But we want to be the Rebels. What other name could we have? This is a tradition." Nearly 90 percent of the school's 2,100 students are members of minorities.

1 hour ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

I will always be Reggie Hart's biggest fan, since he is the last remaining remnant of the NFA!  

So you're not going to restart the NFA?

5 minutes ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Nope! The timeline in the AFA has advanced to far and my interest has since seriously wavered. I simply got burned out, trying to do too much! Reggie Hart will just have to carry on the NFA legacy. 

5 minutes ago, nick_crenshaw82 said:

Nope! The timeline in the AFA has advanced to far and my interest has since seriously wavered. I simply got burned out, trying to do too much! Reggie Hart will just have to carry on the NFA legacy. 

Ive always been curious of how the rebels will end up. I really would like to see Cin win because it would be easier for Atl to change their name. If they win the VB I can see ownership, like the Redskins, fight tooth and nail to keep Rebels. A color change and elimination of Confederate imagery I can see occurring. But most likely that will not be enough.