Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1990 Postseason: Wildcard Round)

I can see the Miners having an 80s Cowboys-esque falloff this coming decade, too...

9 hours ago, Raymie said:

I can see the Miners having an 80s Cowboys-esque falloff this coming decade, too...

I'll take it one step further: I predict they're going to have at least one #1 overall pick by 1993.

I'm going with Ghosts and Captains in the Wild Card.

Exciting season for the Imperials! And I am glad Krause didnt end his career in disaster. I hate him and the Miners, but I still respect him. Just glad to see him go! 

4 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I'll take it one step further: I predict they're going to have at least one #1 overall pick by 1993.

Guarantee that 3 of the other 4 Northeast division teams will be in the top 7 in the 93 draft.

1990 Wildcard Round

1990_afa_wildcard___boston_vs_philadelph

After a battle for field position throughout the first 15 minutes, Boston finally advanced deep into Philadelphia territory in the waning seconds of the opening quarter.  They pushed to the one, but the defense held strong, stuffing three consecutive rushing attempts, and the field goal unit took the field.  K Chris Pelino was halfway to his position when he realized that he had forgotten his helmet, and sprinted back to the sideline to retrieve it.  As he ran back out onto the field, P Rhys Scott, who served as the holder, took the snap.  The trick play worked, and Scott easily slipped into the end zone, having caught the Railers napping.

The Captains would never relinquish the lead.  A pair of lost fumbles by former Imperial RB Markus Warner cost Philadelphia dearly in the second quarter, with the first coming at the Boston 33 and the second at their own 7, which set up a Russell Fraizer touchdown run to put Boston up 14-0.

Fraizer would add another TD late in the third to extend the lead to 21.  The Railers attempted a comeback, finally getting on the board with a touchdown pass from John LeBell to WR Vinny Eagle with 6:11 left to play, but it was too little, too late.  The Captains won a solid victory, earning their second consecutive trip to the quarterfinals.

1990_afa_wildcard___detroit_vs_cleveland

Prognosticators said that the only way that Cleveland would be able to come away with a win would be to establish an early lead, and use their rushing attack to run out the clock.  They were able to accomplish the first part of the plan, getting on the board first with a 7 yard touchdown run by the elusive James McCoy.  Then, in the final minute of the opening quarter, they appeared to be on the verge of making it a two-score game when QB Sam Mundy was sacked at the Detroit 32, and coughed up the ball.

Detroit seized the momentum after the turnover, tying the game five minutes later on a 15 yard pass from John Lewis to WR Ray Carroll.  They would go on to take their first lead of the day 3 minutes before the half when the speedy WR Angelo Caro burned the defense for a 40-yard touchdown strike.  The Detroit defense piled it on early in the third when CB Ron Pryce grabbed the ball after it had been tipped by WR Bob League, and made two guys miss as he took it to the house for a 53-yard touchdown.

Cleveland managed to staunch the bleeding with a field goal late in the third, but a 2 yard swing pass to All-Star RB Johnny Hewitt gave Detroit a 28-10 advantage with 11 minutes to play, and the Gladiators coasted to the win.

1990_afa_postseason_by_verasthebrujah_dc

Quarterfinals Previews

Guardians of Cincinnati vs Seattle Grizzlies

This game will be a lopsided mess.  The Guardians championship window may be closing, but their roster is full of living legends – they likely have somewhere between 3-5 future hall of famers on the team.  Seattle has… Greg Benham, a draft bust who has already failed to make an impact in Kansas City and California.  The Guardians crush the Grizzlies 35-10.

Colorado Centennials vs Tampa Bay Bobcats

All eyes will be on the matchup between Tampa WR Deacon Cross and Colorado CB Vic Ferrer. Generally speaking, the Bobcats have forced opposing defenses to pick their poison – stack the box to try to stop RB Wayne Lee, keep Cross in double coverage all day, or do both at let QB Bobby Davis pick apart the rest of the defense.  The difference this week is that Ferrer is a true shutdown corner, and may be one of the few men in the league who can survive on an island with Cross. Tampa may have more young star power, but the Cents are the better-rounded team, and that will carry them to victory.  Colorado wins, 27-24.

New York Imperials vs Boston Captains

This game could be an instant classic as one of the league’s most heated rivalries meet in January.  New York QB Ron Adams will turn 39 this offseason, and doesn’t have a lot of gas left in the tank.  Both teams will use this as motivation, as the Imperials try to get their leader an elusive ring while the Captains look to deny that dream to a player who has been beating up on them since 1976.  On paper, New York is probably the better team, but they are entering the postseason after an extremely rough December, while Boston is coming in hot.  The Captains pull off the upset, 21-20.

Houston Hurricanes vs Detroit Gladiators

This has blossomed into one of the best rivalries in the league (most fans wanted to see a Houston-Detroit Victory Bowl a year ago).  Both teams could make a case for having the best set of “triplets” in the league.  Detroit has won back-to-back Victory Bowls behind the trio of QB John Lewis, RB Johnny Hewitt, and WR Angelo Caro.  Houston, meanwhile, has the best QB in the league in Tom Hudson, an absolute bulldozer in RB David Kennedy, and one of the league’s most exciting speedsters in WR Mark Ellison.  Both teams also boast deep, talented defensive units.  This game could go either way, but Detroit has generally gotten the better of Houston in recent years, and that trend will continue.  Detroit wins 30-24.

Edited by Veras
Updated and corrected the bracket

1 minute ago, Darknes said:

Huh...I'm surprised...GO CAPS GO CAPS

BEAT BOSTON BEAT BOSTON BEAT BOS

Gotta love how Philly has players named LeBell and Eagle.

Crossing my fingers for an Imperials-Guardians Victory Bowl this time around!

Guardians wear the Grizzlies like a pelt

Bobcats get snowed out by the Cents in a Colorado Whiteout

Imperials sink the Captains

Gladiators slice the Hurricanes in two

19 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

Gotta love how Philly has players named LeBell and Eagle.

Crossing my fingers for an Imperials-Guardians Victory Bowl this time around!

That actually never occurred to me. I can’t believe I never noticed it.

Go Bobcats. Eat through the 1-year wonder Cents and leap back to the Victory Bowl.

Also, I see real potential for a '99 Jags-Fins blowout between NY and Boston, but with the road team slaying the Imperial,

Seattle to keep it close but still lose, and 

Hudson's Canes to actually do something in January, ending the Glads 3-peat

So we have the fumblerooski, now the helmetrooski? What is that trick play, I don't even...

So 1-1 after the Wild Card, so here goes this round:

Guardians over Grizzlies
Bobcats over Centennials
Imperials over Captains

Hurricanes over Gladiators

9 hours ago, Raymie said:

The graphic seems to have some issues, namely not being updated and having the incorrect Roman numeral "XVL".

Crap. Thanks for pointing it out. I could have sworn that this was the first place I fixed it when I corrected the master version. I’ll update it next time I’m at my computer. 

8 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

So we have the fumblerooski, now the helmetrooski? What is that trick play, I don't even...

It’s a twist on a play I saw the Colts run once. Manning started walking toward the sideline as though he had called a timeout, and they snapped it directly the RB. If I remember right, it was a TD for Edgerrin James.

I forgot to give my spoof game predictions for the wild card round, so here goes nothing 

Guardians of the Victory Bowl defeat Seattle Cubbies

State of Weed 100s over Tampa Bay Generic Cats

Boston Red Sox beat the New York Yankees (just like this year)

Rome Gladiators over the Houston Disasters

I am really nervous about this game against Boston... Always tough playing a division rival in the playoffs... NY better get it done! In 1990 the Red Sox were still cursed and the Patriots went 1-15.. Oh and the Giants won the Super Bowl! So Lets Go Imperials!!!!