Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Quarterfinals)

Reminds me of the Albany Firebirds somewhat. I asked for the 90s to start (Arizona being kind of a sneak peek into that as well) and I got it. I will say that I also wonder what an orange helmet/pants would look with a black jersey.

Welcome back, Veras! I never dealt with anything remotely related to depression and anxiety until very recently so I have a new respect for those who've dealt with various forms of it for their whole life.

I really dig this whole new package for New Jersey. The new color and design are fantastic. That wordmark is an A+ for sure. Only tweak that came to mind is the eye on the helmet. Did you try an orange outline/pupil to make it pop more?

Damn the NEW Jersey Sharks' look is spectacular! Everything from color scheme to overall design totally fits the '90s.

Welcome back Veras! Good to see this thread active again. As far as the Sharks, outstanding job! I love the colors. I am glad you are keeping the helmet the same, that helmet is gorgeous! The wordmark is also beautiful! Great work bro!

Love the Sharks update! the look suits the early 90s perfectly with the colours and the drop shadow numbers. I'm also glad you kept the helmet. I could see that helmet being regarded now days as a modern classic. Nice work!

Welcome back, Veras!!

I hope the best is yet to come for you personally. We do appreciate everything you have done and will continue to do on this thread. 

The Sharks update is fantastic. Like a couple others have said, the design is very fitting to usher in the style of the 1990s. I'm glad you kept the helmet design the same. 

Veras,

Glad you've made a temporary return! Dealing with mental health is a marathon not a sprint. The most important thing is you identified it and sought help. 

Please do whatever it is that makes you happy and keep improving. From the few instances I've encountered others with similar issues, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh, NJ looks really nice! Still my favorite AFA helmet to this date!

I like that New Jersey was the first to go BFBS, because it isn't a terrible look.

It's good to see you back, and hopefully this helps you feel better too, Veras.

The New Jersey Sharks look of the 90s is dead-on perfect. That helmet better not get touched in the future.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:36 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

I like that New Jersey was the first to go BFBS, because it isn't a terrible look.

Phoenix went BFBS in 1988, but the new Sharks look is far better IMO

On 7/29/2018 at 12:47 AM, Veras said:

The New Jersey Sharks are changing their look, putting even more distance between them and their time in Buffalo.

Old Logos:

1982_new_jersey_sharks_by_verasthebrujah

New Logos:

1990_new_jersey_sharks_by_verasthebrujah

New decade, new colors.  Most people assumed that the Sharks would eventually move away from the Stampeders' maroon and orange color scheme, and would probably adopt some shade of blue.  Instead, they ditched the maroon for black and went with a bolder, darker shade of orange.  "Maroon and orange is a fine color scheme," team owner Sean Cooper explained, "but it's not right for sharks.  Sharks are dangerous and powerful.  Orange and black does a much better job of conveying that."

The team eliminated the old primary logo, replacing it with the vastly more popular helmet alternate (recolored, of course).  To replace it, the introduced a shark fin alternate.  The biggest change, however, was the wordmark.  Rather than the fairly generic original that they adopted after moving from Buffalo to New Jersey in 1982, the team will use perhaps the most unusual mark in the league.

Old Uniforms:

1982_new_jersey_sharks_uniform_by_verast

New Uniforms:

1990_new_jersey_sharks_uniform_by_verast

The new uniforms are certainly bolder than the old ones.  The should and pant stripes are all vaguely triangular, which is meant to imply both shark teeth and dorsal fins.  They are also bringing back the drop shadow jersey numbers that the Stampeders used over their last decade in Buffalo.

The Sharks Uniforms Logos Are Awesome

Helmet is kinda like an angrier version of Banzai Bill 

593a6a7e08f17d17029667379ae60b92.jpg

Great update - the old colors didn't really fit the team - and certainly very early 90's.

Hey, sorry for my immediate and unexpected absence after coming back.  Took a step backwards because it turns out that I married the worst person in the world, but now that I've realized that and have started taking the proper steps to get as far away from her as humanly possible, I expect to have a much faster and more even recovery.  Anyway, thanks for all the comments on the Sharks.

On 7/29/2018 at 2:27 AM, KittSmith_95 said:

Have you thought about putting the shark fin on the helmet alone instead of the face helmet? It would keep the orange shell intact from the old look & I really like the fin logo a lot. 

Nope.  The helmet is one of my favorite.  The shark fin will be a rarely-used alternate.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:03 PM, Jacobseye said:

Looks nice. The wordmark looks like it could belong to some punk-rock band at the time.

I can see it.  I've always thought that the Crows look in general and their wordmark specifically looks like a classic metal or hard rock logo.

On 8/4/2018 at 10:17 AM, Kaz said:

Helmet is kinda like an angrier version of Banzai Bill 

593a6a7e08f17d17029667379ae60b92.jpg

Great update - the old colors didn't really fit the team - and certainly very early 90's.

I can see it.  That wasn't my inspiration, though.  I totally cribbed it from the Flying Tigers nose art.

A few people asked for an orange helmet and a black jersey.  I had actually tried that originally, but didn't care for it.  The helmet looks off to me with black in the mouth, but here it is.

A3TCj7g.png

I did, however, like @Steelman's suggestion to change the pupil to orange.  It definitely pops better.

Maybe the black jersey can be the primary and the orange can be an alternate?

Maybe, but I'm not feeling the orange pants with the black helmet.

I like the black helmet and jersey more! But there’s too little orange on the newest ones you made, makes it seem like a black and white team with orange as an accent imo. 

Also is it a dark dark grey or black? Because on my screen the logo set uses a different more black color than the uniform. I like the dark grey more if so!

It’s supposed to be black. I use it on the uniforms because black blots out the template.

There isn’t really a place to add orange. I don’t like it on the pants and that’s really the only place that it could go.

Maybe try an orange collar on the black uniforms and a black one on the white? I can’t remember if any other teams have colored collars but some nfl teams do and it could help balance out the colors on the uniform, and on the black shorts maybe an orange stripe instead of a white one? If that doesn’t be work I think it’ll be okay as is but it’s worth a shot.

I may be late to the party, but I am happy you're back, Veras! New Jersey's new look is pretty solid looking and appropriate for the 1990s as everyone else has said, and I don't remember if you've mentioned it already, but are there any other teams in the AFA or USFA that are getting new uniforms? Any other storylines of interest as we head into the 1990 offseason?

Anyway, I'm looking very much forward to what you have in store, and I hope your health is doing better!