Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Wildcard Round)

Congratulations to the Angels for winning the Victory Bowl! Can't wait for expansion!

I didn't make a prediction, but I had a feeling the Angels would take this one. Congrats to them and props to both teams as major underdogs to make it to the VB.

Definitely can't wait to see how this next expansion council goes. Plenty of ideas and intrigue available there.

I'll be posting the expansion bids within the next few days, but I want to post the rules for members of the council first, to give those of you who want to write a bio a chance to look them over in advance.  If you would like me to look over a bio in advance, PM me.  I want to stay away from going back and forth in the thread about the characters, so if one doesn't make sense or violates the rules, I'll just take the vote and ignore the bio.

Please wait until voting opens to actually submit the bio.  Again, if you would like me to look it over, send it in a PM.

1. Your character is not a candidate for ownership, at least not in this expansion. Your character cannot have ties close enough to any of the candidate cities that it might generate a conflict of interest.

2. I may or may not write your character into the story. Either way, you do not continue to control them, unless you choose to use them again in future councils. Please do not continue to post updates as to what your character is doing as the story progresses. I will make that determination, and mention it if it is relevant.

3. Your character should be a reasonably prominent person. Essentially, make sure that your bio is somebody that the AFA would have a reason to invite onto the council.

4. It seems like most bios are business tycoons who want to eventually own a team. That's a pretty uncommon outcome, so I encourage you to mix it up a bit. Judges, members of the media, former players, etc. are all also good choices (I'd prefer not to add any more U.S. Senators, as there have already been several). If you want your character to be a former player, PM me to make sure that the story gels with AFA canon. If you would like to vote for a former player that I have already mentioned, such as Charlie Kadlec, that may also be a possibility. Most players do not have particularly detailed bios, and you could easily fill in the gaps.

5. Please read the bids before you vote.

If you would like to see examples of good bids, here are some (not all) of my favorites from the past councils.

From the 1958 AFAEC (page 8 of this thread), see:

Henrik Ravitzky

Dan Szymanski

For the 1965 council (page 27), see:

Boots Callahan

Tommy Danson

George Calvert

For the 1975 council (page 103), see:

Leo Landeros

On 5/26/2016 at 6:40 PM, Uglybus said:

Hey Veras!

Do you know the stadiums and capacities of the stadiums being used by AFA teams right now? If you do, could you please tell us? I searched all over the thread and couldn't find anything. 

Thanks in advance!

I didn't realize that I hadn't already put that information on the blog.  I'll take the time to add that page when the expansion council is voting.

On 5/26/2016 at 7:34 PM, Raymie said:

It's Texas Rising! (Seriously, that would be a good fan slogan for the club and a hashtag 30+ years later.) I think it'll be among the more low-scoring contests: 10-6 Stallions, perhaps?

The only problem with that slogan is that Atlanta already uses Rebels Rise!  Of course, Texas Rising and Rebels Rise are no more similar than Who Dat and Who Dey, so I suppose that isn't a dealbreaker, lol.

On 5/28/2016 at 5:33 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

No matter who wins, the uniforms make this probably one of the most beautiful Victory Bowl match-ups to date.

22 hours ago, Mercy_King said:

The only matchup more beautiful IMO would be any matchup between Arizona/Seattle/Miami

This is a pretty good one.  I'm not sure that I agree with you on Miami, though.  I like those uniforms individually, but I think they're a bit too weird to look good when placed next to other teams.  I still think my favorite is Arizona against a team that wears a dark color, maybe Pittsburgh @ Arizona or Arizona @ San Diego.

On May 24, 2016 at 5:28 PM, CodeG said:

Can I still create a character for expansion bidding?

Masashi Eichiro, 40. Born in Japan as the son of the founder of Kaze apparel, now the second biggest shoe and jersey manufacturer in the world. Since moving to the states when he was 5 he had a passion for football. He is also the biggest fan of the Dragons. Now he is the CEO of Kaze Apparel, and he want to sponsor the league eventually. Currently he is on the expansion committee as a shareholder for the Dragons, he has hopes to become the full-time owner in the future. As for expansion, his hopes are to grow the game world-wide and for football to rival soccer as the most popular game in the world. Business side, Kaze just signed a uniform deal with City of London FC (a fictional soccer team from England) and has over 20 more soccer teams around the world looking for deals.

Looks like I put this in the wrong spot. Hopefully this works, I wanna actually do the expansion council this time since I forgot about it the last 2 times. Thanks for even looking at this

Just going to go ahead and put my character bio here so I don't forget it later. 

Wade Lewis is an up and coming architect. He was born in 1952 in a rural part of Oklahoma, not too far away from the Capitol. He is young and has lots of untapped potential. The Owner and CEO of Lewis Architecture, he is earning more  and more money, slowly becoming more rich than some oil barons in the area. While he has built regular buildings, like towers and theaters, he has always wanted to build stadiums. Lewis has been a supporter of the AFA, and he would be a proud owner of a franchise if given the opportunity. Lewis has even promised that he would be willing to build the stadium, free of charge, if a team would ever come to Oklahoma City. 

(Did I break any rules there, Veras?)

Congrats to the Halos.

That's 3 VB predictions in a row for me. ^~^

I'm going to want all of the bios together after voting begins, so there is no need to post them quite yet.

@CodeG:  your character's name was Takashi Umagaki

@Uglybus:  a wealthy, successful architect is a good addition to the council.

1 hour ago, Veras said:

I'm going to want all of the bios together after voting begins, so there is no need to post them quite yet.

@CodeG:  your character's name was Takashi Umagaki

@Uglybus:  a wealthy, successful architect is a good addition to the council.

Oh ok, sorry. Also yea I forgot his name and couldn't remember so I did the first name I thought of 

On May 24, 2016 at 4:05 PM, RedfieldNick said:

Well then, here we go, here's mine (Think of him as a Mike Lange for football):

Joseph Kipnis was born in Wichita, Kansas on August 4, 1945 to a aeronautics engineer for Boeing. He fell in love with football after going on a family vacation to Chicago and seeing a Butchers' game. During his life, he would play for the Kansas State University Wildcats, being a lone bright spot on a lowly team. He had the talent to play for a high profile college, but decided against it. He instead got into broadcasting, and became the radio broadcaster for the Texas Stallions, and became infamous for his amazing one liners that got any listener engaged, like during one Stallion sack, he shouted "He beat the lineman like a rented mule", and after a Kelvin Barker touchdown, he exclaimed "Get in the fast lane grandma! The bingo game is starting!". He entered the expansion council to get more involved with the AFA.

Here's mine again. I have loved this idea and want to do this for the first time.

I've got an expansion council bio written up and ready to go, I'm just waiting on the expansion bids to be posted. 

I want to be in the EC, but I can't because my character would be terrible.

Also Veras, this guy made great hypothetical Victory Bowl Logos: 

First off, congratulations to Minnesota! What a finish...I hope all Victory Bowls can get that exciting.

Secondly, I'm excited for the expansion council. I have a really good bio written up, but I'll wait until Veras gives the official go-ahead to put the bios on. I think you all will like it though!

Third, WOW was I right. That uniform matchup...my God. :love: (Yes, I used an emoticon...it's the only thing that can sum up that piece of AFA beauty.)

Former AFA President Dan Szymanski will be basking in the glow of the Angels championship while preparing for the Expansion Council.

The expansion council bids are basically ready to go.  I'm going to sleep on it, proofread them in the morning, and then post them.  So the wait is nearly over.

7 hours ago, Ipapterotes said:

I want to be in the EC, but I can't because my character would be terrible.

Also Veras, this guy made great hypothetical Victory Bowl Logos: 

I've been following that thread from the start.  There have been some pretty interesting ones, and I hope he (you, if you're reading this, RBronish) go through with the ticket stubs idea.

As for participation in the expansion council:  you are not required to make up a character.  You can just cast your votes.  Moreover, if you would like to submit a bio, it wouldn't have to be anything complicated.  Something like:  "Namey McNameface is the president of the University of Alabama," would be sufficient.

2 hours ago, Dan O'Mac said:

Former AFA President Dan Szymanski will be basking in the glow of the Angels championship while preparing for the Expansion Council.

Yeah, I figured that Szymanski would be having a good week.  Though technically, the expansion council met in the week between the Semifinals and the Victory Bowl (we're just breaking chronology here because I didn't want to interrupt the narrative with a couple dozen posts that were just votes).  The results would have been announced during the opening ceremonies.  So really, he will be basking in the glow of the Angels qualifying for the championship will preparing for the council.  (It's good to have him back, by the way.  I had wondered if his retirement extended to the councils as well.).

Bummer...... Texas had this in bag.... Next season, it will be awesome..... I hope

Hi first time posting on this thread though I have looked at it before. Love how everything is going and I just wanna throw some ideas out there for names possibly a second New York Franchise.

The Colonials (A more Dutch history based team) 

The Dutchmen (Influence in part by the Flying Dutchman and the Dutch colonists and explorers that called New Amsterdam (New York City) home)

The Capitals (since it was the first capital of the United States)

I really feel like taking a hiatus on this thread due to the amount of new people posting. I feel like I've lost that fun and selcusion since I first posted.

Spoiler

In other words, it was fun being one of the few new people in this thread, but when people like RedfieldNick, NY's Greatest (love both of these guys' PHL posts), Mercy_King (also love this guy's PHL posts), and GreatBigGrizzly came, I lost that fun.