Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (1991 Postseason: Wildcard Round)

I'm seeing a technicality saving the day. Stay in Atlanta, must remain the Rebels (per sale agreement). But if you build a stadium in a suburb, you're TECHNICALLY not in Atlanta anymore, so a name change (keeping the Atlanta location name) wouldn't be against the agreement.

Remind me to always check the AFA thread because...ho. ly. crap.

The USFA scandal might be the craziest thing I've ever read, and somehow Jeremy Simmons ended up in the center of it. Then again, I'm not shocked Bubba would toss out the n-word so naturally. Here's hoping Simmons saved whatever cash he had so he can get a minority stake (unintentional pun, I swear) in an AFA team...

Also, how in God's name did Cincinnati collapse so quickly? Did Reggie Hart age in dog years?

Can't wait to see what happens with the Rebels--I know you've got something amazing cooking up.

Dan O' Mac got to my idea first. Move the Rebels out of the city of Atlanta but keep them in a location that is part of the Atlanta Metropolitan area.

43 minutes ago, eick74 said:

Dan O' Mac got to my idea first. Move the Rebels out of the city of Atlanta but keep them in a location that is part of the Atlanta Metropolitan area.

Or change Rebel to mean "Rebel Without A Cause". James Dean would probably go over better than Johnny Reb. Plus, rebel could mean anything. Doesn't have to be Confederate and they technically aren't changing the name.

48 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Or change Rebel to mean "Rebel Without A Cause". James Dean would probably go over better than Johnny Reb. Plus, rebel could mean anything. Doesn't have to be Confederate and they technically aren't changing the name.

I was thinking something Star Wars themed if Atlanta stayed with the "Rebels" name.

31 minutes ago, TargetToad said:

I was thinking something Star Wars themed if Atlanta stayed with the "Rebels" name.

I believe Veras has already ruled that out due to the Destroyers having the Star Wars font. He did say rebranding of the Rebels rather than renaming so who knows? It's the Confederate imagery that is currently going with the name that seems to be the source of the objection to the Atlanta AFA Squad.

Also, considering that the Internet is about to blow up around this time, I wonder how is the AFA going to utilize this new medium? 

I have a few ideas on how we could deal with the Atlanta Rebels situation:

1. Keep them in Atlanta proper and keep the Rebels name; but instead of a Civil War-era Confederate theme, the Rebels name should...:
    1. Refer to the people of the Thirteen Colonies who rose up against British rule and eventually declared America an independent nation during the American Revolution; also, Georgia was one of the Thirteen Colonies.
    2. Have an Old West-style Outlaw/Bandit theme, even though Atlanta is in the Southeastern United States.
    3. Have an Outlaw Biker theme.
    4. What @Red Comet said.
  2. Move them out of Atlanta proper, but keep them within its Metropolitan Area and rebrand the team; possible locations within suburban Atlanta include:
    1. Marietta, Cobb County
    2. Smyrna, Cobb County
    3. Peachtree City, Fayette County
    4. Newnan, Coweta County
    5. Forest Park, Clayton County
    6. Decatur, DeKalb County
    7. Conyers, Rockdale County
    8. Douglasville, Douglas County
    9. Stockbridge, Henry County
    10. East Point, Fulton County
    11. Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County
    12. Norcross, Gwinnett County
    13. Stone Mountain, DeKalb County

On 2/9/2019 at 10:11 PM, Raymie said:

I was not expecting that! Is this the Birds' first postseason win since Firebird Fever in '79?

It was actually their first postseason victory since the 1978 Quarterfinals, when they beat Minnesota (who had to start their second string quarterback) 24-21 in overtime.  In fact, this is the first time that they've been in the playoffs since the 78 season.

On 2/9/2019 at 10:26 PM, Red Comet said:

Finally, we get a playoff win! Only question I have is how would it be moderately windy and near freezing in a dome?

Uh... somebody left a window open?  Or I wasn't paying attention, and forgot that the Crows play indoors since the Chiefs play outdoors.  One of the two.  I won't say which one.

On 2/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, BengalSteve said:

Wow, talk about some upsets! Anyway, what are the names of the other major professional sports leagues in the AFA universe? I remember Will Silver last playing in the American Basketball League (ABL), which I assume is this universe's equivalent for the NBA, but what are the names of the Baseball Leagues in the AFA universe? And what would this universe's equivalent of the NHL be called? Can't wait to see how the rest of the playoffs unfold and the new branding for the Rebels (Assuming they change their name of course). 

Baseball's top league is the United League and hockey's is the National Hockey Association.

The Rebels won't change their name (at least not this year), but they will definitely rebrand.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:30 AM, Dan O'Mac said:

I'm seeing a technicality saving the day. Stay in Atlanta, must remain the Rebels (per sale agreement). But if you build a stadium in a suburb, you're TECHNICALLY not in Atlanta anymore, so a name change (keeping the Atlanta location name) wouldn't be against the agreement.

Unfortunately, not.  The language of the contract is strong enough that the team would have to leave the Atlanta market, not just the city proper, to get out from under that clause.  The plan to nominally relocate without ever actually shifting operations to another location would also almost certainly fail in court, if Jackson chose to press the issue (and he's a litigious guy, so he probably would).

On 2/11/2019 at 7:17 PM, ChicagoOakland said:

Remind me to always check the AFA thread because...ho. ly. crap.

The USFA scandal might be the craziest thing I've ever read, and somehow Jeremy Simmons ended up in the center of it. Then again, I'm not shocked Bubba would toss out the n-word so naturally. Here's hoping Simmons saved whatever cash he had so he can get a minority stake (unintentional pun, I swear) in an AFA team...

Also, how in God's name did Cincinnati collapse so quickly? Did Reggie Hart age in dog years?

Can't wait to see what happens with the Rebels--I know you've got something amazing cooking up.

Hart played pretty well, but he didn't have a lot of support.  Andrew Gray, who anchored the center of the defensive line retired and without his presence the defense was pushed around a lot.  Injuries also took a pretty big toll.  The offensive line was banged up all year, and worse, Vic Meredith went down for the year with a knee injury eight minutes into the season.  There were a couple bright spots - former Louisville Brawlers RB Arthur Ogletree played reasonably well (though he also missed several games due to injury), and CB Jason Carl had a breakout year, becoming the first defensive back that the Guardians sent to the All-Star Bowl in the Reggie Hart era.

It will be interesting to see what they do next year, particularly if Meredith, who will be 35, can recover from a shredded knee.

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

2 hours ago, TargetToad said:

I believe Veras has already ruled that out due to the Destroyers having the Star Wars font. He did say rebranding of the Rebels rather than renaming so who knows? It's the Confederate imagery that is currently going with the name that seems to be the source of the objection to the Atlanta AFA Squad.

Also, considering that the Internet is about to blow up around this time, I wonder how is the AFA going to utilize this new medium? 

Yeah, the Destroyers actually have direct ties to LucasArts, so it definitely won't be Star Wars related.

They'll follow the NFL's model in regards to the internet - its' not a part of the story that I'm going to devote any time to, so just assume that the AFA's online presence evolved in a way early identical to the NFL's.

1 hour ago, JH42XCC said:

I have a few ideas on how we could deal with the Atlanta Rebels situation:

1. Keep them in Atlanta proper and keep the Rebels name; but instead of a Civil War-era Confederate theme, the Rebels name should...:
    1. Refer to the people of the Thirteen Colonies who rose up against British rule and eventually declared America an independent nation during the American Revolution; also, Georgia was one of the Thirteen Colonies.
    2. Have an Old West-style Outlaw/Bandit theme, even though Atlanta is in the Southeastern United States.
    3. Have an Outlaw Biker theme.
    4. What @Red Comet said.
  2. Move them out of Atlanta proper, but keep them within its Metropolitan Area and rebrand the team; possible locations within suburban Atlanta include:
    1. Marietta, Cobb County
    2. Smyrna, Cobb County
    3. Peachtree City, Fayette County
    4. Newnan, Coweta County
    5. Forest Park, Clayton County
    6. Decatur, DeKalb County
    7. Conyers, Rockdale County
    8. Douglasville, Douglas County
    9. Stockbridge, Henry County
    10. East Point, Fulton County
    11. Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County
    12. Norcross, Gwinnett County
    13. Stone Mountain, DeKalb County

You'll have to wait until the offseason to see the new Rebels, but it is possible that the new stadium ends up in the suburbs.  The city government was actively hostile to a stadium being built within city limits when the team was using confederate imagery, but the state legislature was more than happy to chip in, so the suburbs were an obvious possibility.  Marietta, Sandy Springs, and College Park were considered the leading candidates, though the upcoming redesign could shake things up.

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

@Veras If they were to stay what are the odds they keep the name?

If they stay in Atlanta, it's 100% certain that the name stays while the identity goes, at least for now.  Basically, the only way that the Holmeses could get away with a name change is if nobody with the standing to do so called them out.  As long as Sy Jackson is alive (and he's only 59), it's virtually guaranteed he would successfully sue for breach of contract if they went for it.

One thought that occurred to me is a what if that is based on the trades of the Baltimore Colts and Los Angeles Rams franchises by Robert Irsay and Carroll Rosenbloom. Rosenbloom was the owner of the Colts at the time and was looking for a way to get out of Baltimore and Irsay was a fan of Unitas. In this case the owners moved to new cities and the franchises stayed put. But what if it worked differently with the owners staying put and the franchises swapping cities.

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/07/14/archives/colts-franchise-traded-for-rams-players-remain-irsay-gets-baltimore.html

If the current rebels team left Atlanta and the AFA awarded a new team to Atlanta a few years later with a new nickname, would Sly Jackson be able to sue then?

1 hour ago, TargetToad said:

If the current rebels team left Atlanta and the AFA awarded a new team to Atlanta a few years later with a new nickname, would Sly Jackson be able to sue then?

The current Rebels team is probably staying put and retaining the name on paper but completely changing the spirit of the name. And, on that topic, if Sy Jackson lives for 20-25 years or so (for what I assume to be a very wealthy man, this not only seems possible but plausible), would it be possible that by the time he dies, the new Rebel brand would be so ingrained that only very few people actually have a strong opinion against the name? Seems like controversies in and out of sports have a surprisingly short lifespan.