Veras

History of a Fictional Football League (The USFA - Carolina Cyborgs)

Hey guys! You may (or may not) remember me, but I was here pretty early on, and I created my profile just because of this thread. I just got caught up for the first time in almost a year. Top class stuff Veras! You haven't lost your touch. Keep on keepin on!

Awesome updates Veras! I love the Pioneers. I have always loved the combination of orange and green (not just because I am part Irish). I also love the USFA Shield. I cant wait to see what you got coming up next!

8 hours ago, chrisCLEMENT said:

For a true “summer” alternate, wouldn’t you want to wear white pants too? 

The league encouraged teams to have flashier, more out there uniforms.  They don't want every team to wear white over white through the late part of the season, so while there isn't a hard rule against wearing white pants, a lot of teams will wear white over color.

That being said, once the first season plays out, and players experience games in 100 degree weather, a lot of teams are likely to make a change.  In fact, I expect several teams to make changes in 1989.

Another thing that the USFA will do to deal with the heat is play more night games than the AFA does.  Since they're not competing with college football, there will be games most Saturday nights.

7 hours ago, MrRockyTop16 said:

Hey guys! You may (or may not) remember me, but I was here pretty early on, and I created my profile just because of this thread. I just got caught up for the first time in almost a year. Top class stuff Veras! You haven't lost your touch. Keep on keepin on!

Hey! Welcome back!

I had actually noticed your absence.  A lot of the people who commented on the thread regularly in the early days have disappeared.  I'd have to look back to be sure, but I don't think that you, Pava, or Eagle98 participated in the most recent expansion council, and those are three people who could regularly be counted on to respond before almost anybody was really paying any attention to the AFA.

4 hours ago, Veras said:

I had actually noticed your absence.  A lot of the people who commented on the thread regularly in the early days have disappeared.  I'd have to look back to be sure, but I don't think that you, Pava, or Eagle98 participated in the most recent expansion council, and those are three people who could regularly be counted on to respond before almost anybody was really paying any attention to the AFA.

You're definitely right on my account, college life is fun and all, but it meant some things may have fallen by the wayside. But I plan on hanging around for awhile.

Birmingham Hammers

Owner:  Hal Jobson (64) is an investment banker who grew up in Birmingham.  He graduated from college at the age of 20 and moved to New York City, where he made billions in the stock market.  He retired at the age of 50, and went back to Birmingham, where he headed an unsuccessful bid to bring an AFA team to the city during the 1975 expansion.  A year later, bored of retirement, he moved back to the New York City area, where was once again a finalist in an unsuccessful bid for an AFA team, this time based in Northern New Jersey.  As the league’s second co-founder (and by far the wealthiest individual involved in with the USFA), he wields a tremendous amount of power in the league.

Stadium:  Legion Field – The home stadium of the UAB Dragons.  It seats 75,808 and has an Autoturf field.

Notable Players:  Despite Jobson’s prestige and the enormous number of professional players from the state, the team was quite unsuccessful at luring some of the bigger names.  The lone exception was QB Steve Parker, who will not be able to join the team until 1989.  Nevertheless, Parker will bring a strong resume – as of opening day 1988, he is the only USFA quarterback to have played in a Victory Bowl.

Logo and Colors:  Most people expected the Hammers to base their look on the one used by the Dixie Football League franchise of the same name in the 1940s.  However, Jobson described their red and gold hammer logo as “communistic”, and instead went with a more patriotic identity.  The team will wear red, white, and blue, and the logo features a red hammer swinging through a blue circle.  Looking at it now, it reminds me a of the Obama logo, in that it's a blue circle with red stripes, but I think the resemblance is distant enough that I'm not bothered by it.

birmingham_hammers_logo__1988__by_verast

Uniforms:  The helmet features a Philadelphia Railers-like wraparound logo.  The primary appears on the sleeve, above an uneven stripe pattern that is replicated on the socks.  Their primary jersey is red, secondary is blue, and they make use of a white summer alternate.

birmingham_hammers_uniform__1988__by_ver

Here are all of the current logos, and the order in which the remaining ones will be revealed.  I'll post as close to daily as possible, though with how my work schedule plays out, it will probably often be every other day.

1988_usfa_team_logos_by_verasthebrujah-d

On 11/9/2017 at 4:19 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Just curious, on the first page, are you planning on putting the USFA teams helmets there along side the current AFA ones?

I apologize for overlooking this question before.

No, I don't intend to put the USFA on the front page.  It's a side story, and it won't get that much time or attention.

Very good.

Very, very good.

The Birminghammers look closer to what I'd expect a conservative uniform in this league to be. As far as looking too much like the Obama logo, the Pepsi logo from the 2000s looked far closer to the Obama logo than the Hammers logo does:

2005.gif

so there you go.

I really like the primary logo. I think it would look nice on an alternate white helmet if this league does that sort of thing in the future. While I do like the wraparound hammer, I think the red gets lost on the blue. It loses the "we're gonna hammer you" effect. I'd either do a full white outline or put it on a white helmet. Just a thought. Nice uniform set as well.

Are all of the USFA teams going to feature unique shoulder patches or emblems? I think that's kinda cool and different from the Mothership.

Are the secondary pants supposed to have a different striping pattern than the primary & summer jerseys? It's BRB instead of RBR & it's bugging me that you have 2 different white pants. I also feel the Hammer gets lost on the helmet like @Steelman & I'm not sold on the wrap-around design as I have no idea how it looks on the opposite side of the helmet as the template only shows one.... is it another hammer head or does the singular hammer just end? I feel if the hammer(s) on the helmet was/were tilted like the one in the logo, it might look better as it'd have a sense of motion, & when I think of Hammers, I think of them swinging, not lying flat like you have it currently on the helmet. 

Another thing: How would a white helmet with the lines from the logo alone with a blue facemask work as a zany alternate helmet? 

14 hours ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Nothing crazy here. I love the helmet though. Interesting name choice for Bham.

The name is a reference to the Roman god Vulcan, of whom there is a huge statue in the city. I thought about going with Alabama Vulcans or Birmingham Vulcans, but they’re supposed to be named after a 1940s era team, and that seemed a little off for the time.

10 hours ago, Steelman said:

I really like the primary logo. I think it would look nice on an alternate white helmet if this league does that sort of thing in the future. While I do like the wraparound hammer, I think the red gets lost on the blue. It loses the "we're gonna hammer you" effect. I'd either do a full white outline or put it on a white helmet. Just a thought. Nice uniform set as well.

Are all of the USFA teams going to feature unique shoulder patches or emblems? I think that's kinda cool and different from the Mothership.

A lot lot of them have patches, but not all. Some do other strange things (I’ll tip my hand on the next team by saying that the Atoms look very much like the team from the movie Gus, which means they don’t have a patch, but are far more out there), and at least a couple are conservative enough that they would be run of the mill in the AFA (though those tend to have somewhat unusual color schemes - there is a triple blue and a red/green/silver that come to mind).

I’ll mess with the the outline on the helmet. I don’t remember why I chose blue over white. The fact that they would be playing in summer didn’t occur to me when I first made the uniforms, so I used very little white anywhere. I may have gone back and changed the pants from color to white, which would change whether or not a white helmet would work.

10 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

Are the secondary pants supposed to have a different striping pattern than the primary & summer jerseys? It's BRB instead of RBR & it's bugging me that you have 2 different white pants. I also feel the Hammer gets lost on the helmet like @Steelman & I'm not sold on the wrap-around design as I have no idea how it looks on the opposite side of the helmet as the template only shows one.... is it another hammer head or does the singular hammer just end? I feel if the hammer(s) on the helmet was/were tilted like the one in the logo, it might look better as it'd have a sense of motion, & when I think of Hammers, I think of them swinging, not lying flat like you have it currently on the helmet. 

Another thing: How would a white helmet with the lines from the logo alone with a blue facemask work as a zany alternate helmet? 

The stripes on the pants match the stripes on the sleeves, which is why there is a difference between the secondary and the other two.

the other side of the helmet is identical (for teams that are assymetrical, I flip the profile of the second jersey). I’ll play with the angle a bit.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the alt helmet you’re describing. Are you envisioning the lines from the logo being on the side, or going over the top like normal helmet stripes? Or maybe something a bit bolder, along the lines of what the Michigan Wolverines use?

4 hours ago, Veras said:

The name is a reference to the Roman god Vulcan, of whom there is a huge statue in the city. I thought about going with Alabama Vulcans or Birmingham Vulcans, but they’re supposed to be named after a 1940s era team, and that seemed a little off for the time.

A lot lot of them have patches, but not all. Some do other strange things (I’ll tip my hand on the next team by saying that the Atoms look very much like the team from the movie Gus, which means they don’t have a patch, but are far more out there), and at least a couple are conservative enough that they would be run of the mill in the AFA (though those tend to have somewhat unusual color schemes - there is a triple blue and a red/green/silver that come to mind).

I’ll mess with the the outline on the helmet. I don’t remember why I chose blue over white. The fact that they would be playing in summer didn’t occur to me when I first made the uniforms, so I used very little white anywhere. I may have gone back and changed the pants from color to white, which would change whether or not a white helmet would work.

The stripes on the pants match the stripes on the sleeves, which is why there is a difference between the secondary and the other two.

the other side of the helmet is identical (for teams that are assymetrical, I flip the profile of the second jersey). I’ll play with the angle a bit.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the alt helmet you’re describing. Are you envisioning the lines from the logo being on the side, or going over the top like normal helmet stripes? Or maybe something a bit bolder, along the lines of what the Michigan Wolverines use?

I was thinking of having them going over the top, but I think the Michigan route might be a interesting take. 

I had a high school helmet concept I don't think I've ever shared that might help you visualize what would be a good look... Imagine the Hammers having the stripes wrap around the back with a forward-facing hammer on each side.

LfCb64g.png

I actually love the primary logo, it fits perfectly for the time period and for the owner.

My idea for the helmet is: what if the hammers had the same 45 degree slant you see in the primary logo, but connect in the back to make a V? That way, the V could be a reference to BHam's historic Vulcan statue.

@Raymie, I love that concept.  I used that idea in combination with @ChicagoOakland's suggestion (though it wasn't really possible to get a good V at the back while still having the hammer far enough forward on the side - the angles just don't work).  That all of you for the feedback.  I think I prefer a blue helmet to a white one in the abstract, but this is much better for the spirit of the USFA.

birmingham_hammers_uniform__1988__by_ver

The California Atoms should be posted shortly.

Love that helmet. I think we might've found this universe's Michigan Panthers (unless of course you have something else planned ;)). Great work as always.