Coast2CoastAM2006

The all encompassing Doctor Who thread

I kinda touched on this in the NHL thread, but I didn't want to turn it into a Dr. Who threadjack. I searched the forums and I didn't see a thread for it.

I've kinda been getting into it, actually my wife got me interested in it. She has the first 6 seasons from the 2005 run to now and a whole bunch of VHS tapes she has collected from either vhs recording or tape trading. So far I've completed the Matt Smith run and I'm working on the Chris Eccleston run and i've seen bits and pieces of the Tenant run mainly from watching episodes with my wife.

Just wondering if there was any other Who fans on the forums. So I figured I'd open this up if anyone else is interested in the show.

Jaffa    356

Oi! It's Doctor Who, not Dr. Who! ;)

So on the basis of that, you've probably worked out I'm a fan. I'm just old enough to remember the end of Tom Baker's tenure as the Fourth Doctor.

So on the basis of that, you've probably worked out I'm a fan. I'm just old enough to remember the end of Tom Baker's tenure as the Fourth Doctor.

That seems to be what alot of people generally remember that go back that far. I haven't seen alot of the old classic stuff but generally speaking how does Tom Baker rank compared to the other doctors?

Checking in...

...and anxiously waiting for Series 8 in August/September.

same here, especially since Capaldi is coming aboard. I'm curious how he does on the show.

Foxxtrot44    255

There are people in the world who will never know the joy of watching 20 year old (then) reruns at midnight on public broadcasting....aint that just sad?

Jaffa    356

That seems to be what alot of people generally remember that go back that far. I haven't seen alot of the old classic stuff but generally speaking how does Tom Baker rank compared to the other doctors?

Tom Baker is regarded as the gold standard Doctor, and I think it's fair to say that if folk name their favourites he tops the list or at least is thereabouts.

Personally, I really liked Paul McGann's take on the Eighth Doctor and it's a real shame he didn't have the opportunity to develop the role, on the screen at least (he's worked on a lot of Who audiobooks).

Ice_Cap    7,584

Tom Baker is regarded as the gold standard Doctor, and I think it's fair to say that if folk name their favourites he tops the list or at least is thereabouts.

Personally, I really liked Paul McGann's take on the Eighth Doctor and it's a real shame he didn't have the opportunity to develop the role, on the screen at least (he's worked on a lot of Who audiobooks).

McGann's performance is the saving grace of the tv movie, and his mini story that they did to tie into the 50th anniversary was excellent. He'd probably my favourite Doctor if he got a proper series.

Checking in...

same here, especially since Capaldi is coming aboard. I'm curious how he does on the show.

I think you can use John Hurt's performance as the "War" Doctor from the 50th anniversary show to get a sense for how Capaldi's going to play the role. Moffat's gone on record saying he thinks the Doctor should be an older guy. That was the plan when he took over following Tennant's run, but Matt Smith just blew everyone away at the audition and they went with him. I think Hurt's part was Moffat's first chance to experiment with the kind of Doctor he wanted all along, and we're going to see Capaldi as sort of a continuation of that.

kevsim1    180

Oh yeah. I've only seen the new version, from Eccleston to Smith, along with a few scattered older ones. Real psyched for Capaldi. Are we thinking that the very first episode is indeed going to be on a hunt for Gallifrey?

Jaffa    356

I think the whole story arc for the next series is going to be the hunt for Gallifrey, never mind the first episode!

As for Capaldi, it's going to be interesting seeing how they handle an older Doctor after the recent trend for more youthful actors. Bizarre to think that Capaldi is actually the same age as William Hartnell was when he was first cast in the role...

I started watching the new run on Netflix sometime during the original run of the sixth season. I think I like all three of the new Doctors pretty much equally, but the Matt Smith-Karen Gillan combo was my favorite by far. The show also just looked so much better by then, so those episodes have the edge to me.

If Capaldi's Doctor is like the War Doctor, then count me in. As much as I liked Tennant and Smith, it'll be good to see a different type of Doctor (at least for someone who hasn't watched Doctors 1-8).

McGann's performance is the saving grace of the tv movie, and his mini story that they did to tie into the 50th anniversary was excellent. He'd probably my favourite Doctor if he got a proper series.

Checking in...

I think you can use John Hurt's performance as the "War" Doctor from the 50th anniversary show to get a sense for how Capaldi's going to play the role. Moffat's gone on record saying he thinks the Doctor should be an older guy. That was the plan when he took over following Tennant's run, but Matt Smith just blew everyone away at the audition and they went with him. I think Hurt's part was Moffat's first chance to experiment with the kind of Doctor he wanted all along, and we're going to see Capaldi as sort of a continuation of that.

After watching the Matt Smith run, I actually thought he did a pretty good job. One of my favorites so far is the Rings of Akhaten when he does his speech to the awoken planet. I think it was the episode where they fully introduced Clara with her backstory. I am curious what they do with Clara since they probably won't be having a doctor/female companion love undercurrent like they did with Eccleston's doctor and Rose.

Thank heavens for a Doctor Who thread on CCLSC! I started another thread for a combined Doctor Who and Sherlock but I will be coming here for all Doctor Who related Whovian fun.

I've been a fan of Doctor Who since my Dad woke me up at midnight when I was 6 to watch this long curlied haired individial with a long colorful scarf fight monsters. I was hooked on my first show. My first Doctor was Tom Baker and will always be my favorite. He makes me remind me of my youth and spending time with my dad a common interest. I've loved Doctor Who for over 30 years and a Whovian through and through.

As for Paul McCann, I wish he got a real good run as the Doctor. His run on Big Finish is amazing bringing his own spin on the character. And with his big chance in "The Night of the Doctor" prequel to "The Day of the Doctor" he pairs homage to all the companions he had in the Big Finish stories...amazing. Plus I loved his look after he lost Lucy and pre The Dark Eyes story arc.

As for Capaldi, I think we will see shades of Hartnell coming through from time to time in Series 8 and onwards. Can't wait for the hunt for the time locked Gallifrey to begin.

Jaffa    356

Me and my Doctor Who mad daughter managed to catch up on some old Tom Baker episodes earlier this week - she's been brought up on CGI special effects and top notch prosthetics, so the sight of an alien nasty being portrayed by a chap in a sleeping bag covered in bubble wrap was a bit of a culture shock for her. :P

I loved the old prosthetics and cheesy CGI, it just showed that it was the writers that made the show so amazing that it was. I showed my daughter some older episodes and she just didn't like them. She's a fan of the new Who (which I am too of course) but there's something about the classic Who that will never change, no matter how good the special effects and aliens get.

Anyone watch the Mark Gatisa serial "An Adventure in Time and Space" the week of the 50th Anniversary special? So good!

Thank heavens for a Doctor Who thread on CCLSC! I started another thread for a combined Doctor Who and Sherlock but I will be coming here for all Doctor Who related Whovian fun.

I've been a fan of Doctor Who since my Dad woke me up at midnight when I was 6 to watch this long curlied haired individial with a long colorful scarf fight monsters. I was hooked on my first show. My first Doctor was Tom Baker and will always be my favorite. He makes me remind me of my youth and spending time with my dad a common interest. I've loved Doctor Who for over 30 years and a Whovian through and through.

As for Paul McCann, I wish he got a real good run as the Doctor. His run on Big Finish is amazing bringing his own spin on the character. And with his big chance in "The Night of the Doctor" prequel to "The Day of the Doctor" he pairs homage to all the companions he had in the Big Finish stories...amazing. Plus I loved his look after he lost Lucy and pre The Dark Eyes story arc.

As for Capaldi, I think we will see shades of Hartnell coming through from time to time in Series 8 and onwards. Can't wait for the hunt for the time locked Gallifrey to begin.

Sadly I think McGann's onscreen work as the Doctor was the largely forgettable movie they did. He deserved at the very least an Eccleston type of run. I know people complain about the Day of the Doctor movie being disappointing but that one they did in 96 was forgettable. I hated how McCoy's death came from him getting shot coming out of the Tardis and regenerating in the hospital room. IDK, I always though Sylvester McCoy deserved a better on screen death than that. McGann on the other hand up until the Day of the Doctor prequel, didn't even get a proper regeneration or on screen death. It makes watching the regeneration videos kinda odd when they go from McGann to Eccleston because you never got a regen of McGann regenerating to Eccelston. Thankfully with the prequel they gave McGann a regen to the John Hurt War Doctor and the War Doctor to Eccleston, albeit exceptionally briefly. At least it closed that continuity loop that has bothered me for quite some time.

One thing I am excited about this season with Capaldi is that they aren't pushing Clara and Doctor into a relationship overreaching arc with Rose Tyler. I kinda felt with Matt Smith and Clara's character that's where it was going towards the end of season 7. I am going to be interested in the Clara/Capaldi's doctor character dynamics.

I still want to see a fully fleshed out story centered around the Time War. We got a thumbnail sketch of it in the Day of the Doctor but I want to see a more in depth story around it. I kinda hope this season will do that. Though in fairness you probably could do a 3 movie star wars-esque trilogy just on that alone.

I think the 12th Doctor/Clara relationship will most likely be father/daughter or even grandfather/granddaughter. Just from what I have heard from spoilers on the filming of Series 8.

Btw Coast2CoastAM2006, love the quote in your signature block. That was one of two great speeches Matt Smith had in his run of The Doctor. The other was in The Pandorica Opens when he is talking to all the ships above Stonehenge through the comminucator...powerful as that one was.

Jaffa    356

I loved the old prosthetics and cheesy CGI, it just showed that it was the writers that made the show so amazing that it was. I showed my daughter some older episodes and she just didn't like them. She's a fan of the new Who (which I am too of course) but there's something about the classic Who that will never change, no matter how good the special effects and aliens get.

Yep, my daughter was all a bit baffled by it! Another key difference is the pacing - whereas we mainly now have stand alone stories resolved in a single episode, old Who was serials split across half-a-dozen or so episodes so things tended to move a bit slower. The pacing of New Who seems rather breakneck in comparison.

At least Sarah Jane Smith was present, so she had something recognisable in there!

Ah how I loved Sarah Jane Smith. Both in the classic Who and in new Who. It was really good for BBC to have a Sarah Jane spin-off. Even though it was directed at children, it showed how much she was still loved and respected. My two favorites was when Tennant and Smith made appearances (The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith and The Death of the Doctor respectively). It just showed her chemistry with The Doctor, no matter who played the character. She was in love!

Just a shame she passed away so early. She will missed :(

I think the 12th Doctor/Clara relationship will most likely be father/daughter or even grandfather/granddaughter. Just from what I have heard from spoilers on the filming of Series 8.

Btw Coast2CoastAM2006, love the quote in your signature block. That was one of two great speeches Matt Smith had in his run of The Doctor. The other was in The Pandorica Opens when he is talking to all the ships above Stonehenge through the comminucator...powerful as that one was.

those two moments are my two favorite Matt Smith moments. I want to say that Sylvester McCoy and Peter Davison did their own rendition of the Pandorica speech at various conventions. I know Colin Baker did a rendition of the Akhaten speech.