Coast2CoastAM2006

The all encompassing Doctor Who thread

All I can say about that anime is...WTF! Lol

Also, the McCoy and Davison rendition of Pandorica Opens speech and Baker's rendition of the Atikanen speech are all top. Love seeing the classic Doctors act in charachter again.

All I can say about that anime is...WTF! Lol

Also, the McCoy and Davison rendition of Pandorica Opens speech and Baker's rendition of the Atikanen speech are all top. Love seeing the classic Doctors act in charachter again.

This one was well done by McCoy.

Colin Baker did this well considering it was on the spot.

continued...

for good measure, McGann reading the Hartnell speech from Invasion of the Daleks.

I wouldn't mind seeing Eccleston do the Time Lord VIctorious speech that Tennant did in the Water of Mars episode. sadly, he doesn't have much to do with the show anymore.

Those are some great readings in the characters of their Doctors. That's why I love Doctor Who, no matter classic or new Who, all Doctors can 're-enact another's Doctor performance on the spot and knock it out of the park.

it's quite unfortunate that Colin Baker, McCoy and McGann got sorta the short end of the stick when it came to DW. In the case of CB, I thought he did pretty well given the material he got. I know his character rubbed people the wrong way but I kinda liked his brash style but in some of the episodes you could see where he genuinely cared about his companions. You could see this during the last days of his companion Peri being on the show. I want to say that was during the trial on Gallifrey story arc that spanned nearly a season.

Webhamster    45

it's quite unfortunate that Colin Baker, McCoy and McGann got sorta the short end of the stick when it came to DW. In the case of CB, I thought he did pretty well given the material he got. I know his character rubbed people the wrong way but I kinda liked his brash style but in some of the episodes you could see where he genuinely cared about his companions. You could see this during the last days of his companion Peri being on the show. I want to say that was during the trial on Gallifrey story arc that spanned nearly a season.

The largest part of Colin Baker's problem was that the BBC Controller (Michael Grade) in the 80's absolutely despised Doctor Who. He was determined to sabotage the show to the point where he could cancel it without backlash. And he succeeded. He cut budgets, put it on hiatus for 18 months, forced Baker out, and then finally managed to kill it for good in 1989. Plus, rumours about the personal conduct of producer John Nathan-Turner were kind of rampant whispers around the BBC which gave him even more ammunition even if nothing was ever proven.

But, you know, he may have had a point. The show was pretty cheesy and dated in the 80's and it probably needed a good long break to allow FX technology to catch up to the grand idea. Grade has even praised the revived show (sort of) for the imagination and production values even if he still doesn't really like it very much.

Ice_Cap    7,584

Consider this unpopular if you must, but I was never a fan of the Colin Baker or McCoy years. For as much crap as Grade rightfully gets for his treatment of the show the whole thing had reached the point of becoming unsalvageable.

Now there were a lot of similarities between Eccleston's Doctor (my favourite) and Colin Baker's Doctor (outfit aside). The difference is that there was a reason for Eccleston's Doctor being more aggressive and broody. The basic backstory of the Time War and the Doctor's role in it was established during his run.

With Colin Baker? He went from pleasant and fun Peter Davidson to being a brash and abrasive jerk for seemingly no reason. I can totally see how audiences watching Colin Baker's original run would have gotten emotional whiplash.

I want to watch Matt Smith's run.

season 5 is pretty strait forward but season 6 will probably take a couple of watch through. At least for me it did.

Consider this unpopular if you must, but I was never a fan of the Colin Baker or McCoy years. For as much crap as Grade rightfully gets for his treatment of the show the whole thing had reached the point of becoming unsalvageable.

Now there were a lot of similarities between Eccleston's Doctor (my favourite) and Colin Baker's Doctor (outfit aside). The difference is that there was a reason for Eccleston's Doctor being more aggressive and broody. The basic backstory of the Time War and the Doctor's role in it was established during his run.

With Colin Baker? He went from pleasant and fun Peter Davidson to being a brash and abrasive jerk for seemingly no reason. I can totally see how audiences watching Colin Baker's original run would have gotten emotional whiplash.

For that reason, I wished we could have gotten Eccleston in the Day of the Doctor movie. It makes me wonder what the script would have been had he decided to do the movie. Seems like somethings had to be ret-conned and rewritten because of that.

Ice_Cap    7,584

Could you imagine Eccleston's Ninth Doctor reacting to the 10th and 11th Doctors? That's comedy that writes itself!

Could you imagine Eccleston's Ninth Doctor reacting to the 10th and 11th Doctors? That's comedy that writes itself!

that would be interesting to say the least.

I imagine it would be like this from the Three Doctors movie:

Ice_Cap    7,584

Haha, yep :D I understand why Eccleston chose not to do it, but I still think it's a damn shame he didn't :(

Haha, yep :D I understand why Eccleston chose not to do it, but I still think it's a damn shame he didn't :(

my understanding he wanted to use his own director for the movie and Moffat or whomever is in charge said no so he said no. I wish we could have gotten more out of Eccleston. Just as I thought he was hitting his stride with the show, it was over and he regenerates into Tennant. Shame he couldn't have gotten along with the BBC crew/management. Though I'm not entirely sure what happened with him and the BBC.

Eccelstone didn't even want to get involved with the Day of the Doctor/50th anniversary episode due to not wanting anything more to do with Doctor Who. He actually pulled out of Doctor Who Series 1 mid way through production due to conflicts he was having with the BBC and then Russell T. Davies. Plus in interviews, he said that it was a mistake for him to ever take the role of the Doctor. It didn't suite him nor did all the fandom that came with it.

Big Finish approached him about three years ago to do some audio stories with them and he turn them down right away because of him not wanting ot do anything with Doctor Who. But I think The Day of the Doctor was amazing with just Doctors 8.5, 10 and 11. Plus the 50th anniversary 8 Doctor's Big Finish audio play was amazing too.

Ice_Cap    7,584

From what I gather Eccleston had issues with the way directors and producers would treat grips and other assorted low men on the ladder. The director he wanted for the 50th was one of the few he had a positive experience with, which is why he wanted him if he was going to be involved. It's not that he hated the franchise, he just had a really negative experience while working on it.

He's my favourite Doctor, so I wish we could have gotten more out of him. Still, I understand why he's taken the position he has.

He doesn't have a hate on for the franchise but he does have a dislike for it. Even during filming in 2004 and 2005, the BBC Controller for Drama was getting far too much involved in the production, shades of the mid to late 1980's for Baker's and McCoy's series. I think he was worried it would go the same route with the amount of control the BBC could have had, plus he had numerous run ins with the higher up within the Beeb. I don't think it was a good match, but he did a really amazing job in the role, even if it was only 13 episodes.

Eccelstone didn't even want to get involved with the Day of the Doctor/50th anniversary episode due to not wanting anything more to do with Doctor Who. He actually pulled out of Doctor Who Series 1 mid way through production due to conflicts he was having with the BBC and then Russell T. Davies. Plus in interviews, he said that it was a mistake for him to ever take the role of the Doctor. It didn't suite him nor did all the fandom that came with it.

Big Finish approached him about three years ago to do some audio stories with them and he turn them down right away because of him not wanting ot do anything with Doctor Who. But I think The Day of the Doctor was amazing with just Doctors 8.5, 10 and 11. Plus the 50th anniversary 8 Doctor's Big Finish audio play was amazing too.

4 says hi. This scene is probably one of my favorites in the movie, kinda gives me chills watching it now that i've had time to digest alot of the old Doctor Who.

Ice_Cap    7,584

It was pretty cool. At first I was like "how is this possible?" but then I realized that I had just finished watching a special where the Doctor teamed up with two of his past selves anyway, so 4 popping up worked just as well.

Yes I forgot the Fourth Doctor, the Curator :) There was another Doctor's Reunion episode called The Five Doctors...very good indeed!