Coast2CoastAM2006

The all encompassing Doctor Who thread

Yes I forgot the Fourth Doctor, the Curator :) There was another Doctor's Reunion episode called The Five Doctors...very good indeed!

I wish we could get a full scale reunion of all the doctors that are currently living.

Well supposeably *spoilers sweetie* that the 11th Doctor will be making a return to one of the first few episodes of Series 8 with Capaldi and Coleman. Don't know how or in what capacity, but looking forward to it. I can't wait for the Doctor to start his search for Gallifrey and for this darker version of the Doctor. He's only one regeneration left until the Valyard makes him appearance. (well officially this is the Fourteenth Doctor but Smith's Doctor got a reboot at the end of The Time of the Doctor from the Time Lords).

Webhamster    45

Well supposeably *spoilers sweetie* that the 11th Doctor will be making a return to one of the first few episodes of Series 8 with Capaldi and Coleman. Don't know how or in what capacity, but looking forward to it. I can't wait for the Doctor to start his search for Gallifrey and for this darker version of the Doctor. He's only one regeneration left until the Valyard makes him appearance. (well officially this is the Fourteenth Doctor but Smith's Doctor got a reboot at the end of The Time of the Doctor from the Time Lords).

From what I understand it's a just a "phone call" to Clara. If you remember at the end of Time Of The Doctor the TARDIS phone was unhooked at the door and Clara put it back before she went in and The Doctor regenerated. Apparently that was the hint that Eleven called Clara to re-assure her that Twelve was going to be different but that she could still trust him. Or to impart some message that he may be unstable at first and what she should do.

Also, on The Valeyard, it's said that he appears between the twelfth and final regeneration. Since The Doctor has a whole new regeneration cycle that could be anywhere in the next 13 bodies...or more. Of course, it was also heavily hinted in the original Valeyard story that the Valeyard may have been lying the whole time. If they tackle it I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned it as an attempt by the Great Intelligence to kill The Doctor while he was in his time stream.

From what I understand it's a just a "phone call" to Clara. If you remember at the end of Time Of The Doctor the TARDIS phone was unhooked at the door and Clara put it back before she went in and The Doctor regenerated. Apparently that was the hint that Eleven called Clara to re-assure her that Twelve was going to be different but that she could still trust him. Or to impart some message that he may be unstable at first and what she should do.

Also, on The Valeyard, it's said that he appears between the twelfth and final regeneration. Since The Doctor has a whole new regeneration cycle that could be anywhere in the next 13 bodies...or more. Of course, it was also heavily hinted in the original Valeyard story that the Valeyard may have been lying the whole time. If they tackle it I wouldn't be surprised if they retconned it as an attempt by the Great Intelligence to kill The Doctor while he was in his time stream.

I heard about the "phone call" theory recently too. It did seem a little strange for the phone to be off the hook when Clara came back into the TARDIS. But like usual, Moffatt does those subtle little things to keep us fans guessing or just to see if anyone is paying attention. I don't think we will see The Valeyard any time soon in the New Who series. But Capaldi's run as the Doctor is going to be good because of the darker side of the Doctor will be coming out from time to time, more than previous incarnations.

IanC    45

I saw a Tom Baker episode the other day here in the UK on the Horror Channel. Took me back to my childhood. Was amazed at how simple Doctor Who was back then.

Waughman12    5

I saw a Tom Baker episode the other day here in the UK on the Horror Channel. Took me back to my childhood. Was amazed at how simple Doctor Who was back then.

i know right!

The first teaser trailers has been posted on the Doctor Who site for the upcoming Series 8. The new Doctor lands August 23rd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIzgoB8pXuc - Am I a Good Man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgK_2W9n0zY - Two Hearts

Who can't wait?

The first teaser trailers has been posted on the Doctor Who site for the upcoming Series 8. The new Doctor lands August 23rd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIzgoB8pXuc - Am I a Good Man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgK_2W9n0zY - Two Hearts

Who can't wait?

The day these trailers came out my tumblr exploded with gif posts.

I'm in the process of watching the entire run of Doctor Who classic series. I already about half way through Season 1 with William Hartnell. I intend to watch as much of the classic series as I can or at least what is available to me staring from the first episode to the last episode with McCoy.

Question I do have concerning the Doctor's granddaughter Susan, was her backstory ever fully explained? Have they done a story arc that fully concludes that loose end or was she written out only to be mildly referenced for future episodes?

Jaffa    356

Question I do have concerning the Doctor's granddaughter Susan, was her backstory ever fully explained? Have they done a story arc that fully concludes that loose end or was she written out only to be mildly referenced for future episodes?

They've never explained exactly why the Doctor and Susan scarpered from Gallifrey is the first place - after she left the show she made a reappearance in The Five Doctors special but that's been it.

It's been implied that she died along with the rest of the Doctor's family in the Time War, but after the events of The Day of The Doctor I guess it's possible she survived if she was still around by the end of the conflict.

I'm kind of hoping they close out that arc once and for all. With the new doctor[Capaldi] you could re-introduce his granddaughter, susan, and it not come off as strange as it would have with Eccelston, Tennant or Smith.

They explained more of Susan's story arc after she left the TARDIS many years later in the Big Finish 8th Doctor audio adventures, An Earthly Child.

"Thirty years on from the Daleks' invasion of Earth, the scars still haven't healed. The survivors inhabit a world thrown back two hundred years, a world of crop shortages and civil unrest. A world where the brightest and best of its young people are drawn to the xenophobic Earth United group.

A world sliding into a new Dark Age, believes Susan Campbell, widow of one of the heroes of the Occupation. A world in need of alien intervention. A world in need of hope. But as Susan takes drastic action to secure the planet's future, she's oblivious to the fact that her student son, Alex, ensnared by Earth United, is in need of alien intervention too. Or so Alex's great-grandfather thinks."

It's a good audio story, with Carole Ann Ford reprising the role of Susan Campbell, with lots of good chemistry between Paul McGann and her.

The first five Doctor who Series 8 scripts, including other BBC drama show scripts, got leaked onto the internet on Monday after a BBC Worldwide office based in Miami left their internal servers open to open searches from Google. The new BBC Worldwide office in Miami was setup for translation of BBC programs for transmission in Latin America. BBC is conducting an investigation on how they got leaked but are urging fans who already have a copy of the scripts not to reveal the details of the shows. Damage control for sure!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-08/dr-who-scripts-leaked-online-bbc-apologises/5581912

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28201577

http://www.combom.co.uk/2014/07/leaked-series-8-episodes-1-5-scripts.html

In other news, might be old to some including me, but British singer-songwriter Foxes will perform a track and appear in the new series of Doctor Who, which lands this August on BBC One.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Foxes-to-Appear-in-New-Series-of-Doctor-Who

Also, there are tons of great fan Doctor Who sites on the Internet but one of the better run ones is Life, Doctor Who and Comdom. I have been visiting this site for years now.

Ice_Cap    7,584

interesting list.

I'd have put McGann in there over Colin Baker. Then again, assuming Capaldi's not up for inclusion, why not just make it a top 12 and say something about each Doctor?

interesting list.

I'd have put McGann in there over Colin Baker. Then again, assuming Capaldi's not up for inclusion, why not just make it a top 12 and say something about each Doctor?

I think what they went with was the Doctors that had at least a series of screen time. McGann and Hurt were in one off movies and Capaldi haven't aired yet. That's why C.Baker got on the list over McGann. I can at least see why they went in the direction they did.

KDubK414    101

Been a Doctor Who marathon on all week since the New Doctor lands on Saturday. I'm very impressed, still a little lost but pretty much in tune with the ummmmm "whoniverse" got the characters and back stories down. Watched a couple specials on the history up until the Matt Smith Doctor. I'm in love with this show.

Webhamster    45

I'm kind of hoping they close out that arc once and for all. With the new doctor[Capaldi] you could re-introduce his granddaughter, susan, and it not come off as strange as it would have with Eccelston, Tennant or Smith.

I've been told that there's several Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) audio stories by Big Finish that tie up the Susan arc. She's living in 22nd century London and has a son named Alex. They even got Carole Ann Ford to voice Susan for the audio plays.

Been a Doctor Who marathon on all week since the New Doctor lands on Saturday. I'm very impressed, still a little lost but pretty much in tune with the ummmmm "whoniverse" got the characters and back stories down. Watched a couple specials on the history up until the Matt Smith Doctor. I'm in love with this show.

I've been watching all the classic series starting with Hartnell and now I'm on the last couple of series of the Tom Baker years. So far my favorite span of episodes span from the Pertwee/Master/Jo stories, followed by the Troughton/Jamie/Zoe stories.One thing I like about the classic series was that they avoided the Doctor/Rose storyline which seems to be the only thing a good portion of the fan base even knows about. Sure it was alright but it's hardly the only story arc worth watching. I would say the story arc with Pertwee and Delgado as the Master was far better.

IanC    45

It starts tonight over here in the UK. Looking forward to it.