Coast2CoastAM2006

The all encompassing Doctor Who thread

It starts tonight over here in the UK. Looking forward to it.

It starts over here in Canada too with premiering at 5 pm PST on Space channel.

I'm kind of hoping they close out that arc once and for all. With the new doctor[Capaldi] you could re-introduce his granddaughter, susan, and it not come off as strange as it would have with Eccelston, Tennant or Smith.

Yes Big Finish has done one audio play with the Eighth Doctor to tie up the loose ends of the Susan arc. It's a very good story actually. Very touching and heartfelt.

I've been told that there's several Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) audio stories by Big Finish that tie up the Susan arc. She's living in 22nd century London and has a son named Alex. They even got Carole Ann Ford to voice Susan for the audio plays.

The Series 8 opening is the grandest BBC has gone in the history of the show...and it is absolutely beautiful. The iconic theme has such a dark tense to it, just what is to come for this Doctor.

As for the interior of the TARDIS, it is still basically the same as Smith's TARDIS but with some updates to the desktop (loved the line Capaldi said he was thinking of putting up more round things on the wall, he's always loved the round things).

I think the reign of Capaldi for be dark, eye opening and have many many snapshots to the past lives of the Doctor. It's going to be one hell of ride ;)

There was so many references of previous New and Classic Who episodes. From Pertwee to Tennant and Smith. Really good episode.

The Series 8 opening is the grandest BBC has gone in the history of the show...and it is absolutely beautiful. The iconic theme has such a dark tense to it, just what is to come for this Doctor.

As for the interior of the TARDIS, it is still basically the same as Smith's TARDIS but with some updates to the desktop (loved the line Capaldi said he was thinking of putting up more round things on the wall, he's always loved the round things).

I think the reign of Capaldi for be dark, eye opening and have many many snapshots to the past lives of the Doctor. It's going to be one hell of ride ;)

There was so many references of previous New and Classic Who episodes. From Pertwee to Tennant and Smith. Really good episode.

I enjoyed it as well. One thing that bothered me was the entire sub context of the episode was Clara trying to accept the new doctor because he changed from a youthful guy to an older guy. Yet in the Name of the Doctor, Clara goes back into his time stream and sees his past incarnations most of which were older guys. She even went as far as to help the first doctor which Tardis to choose.

Webhamster    45

This is remarkably true sometimes...

20140826_3185.jpg

I enjoyed it as well. One thing that bothered me was the entire sub context of the episode was Clara trying to accept the new doctor because he changed from a youthful guy to an older guy. Yet in the Name of the Doctor, Clara goes back into his time stream and sees his past incarnations most of which were older guys. She even went as far as to help the first doctor which Tardis to choose.

It didn't really bother me. There's a difference between knowing something to be true and accepting it. She was in denial. One of the stages of grief.

This is remarkably true sometimes...

20140826_3185.jpg

It didn't really bother me. There's a difference between knowing something to be true and accepting it. She was in denial. One of the stages of grief.

makes sense. It's interesting how people are ragging on the series because we aren't getting another Rose/Doctor storyline. I personally welcome what they got going on.

Ice_Cap    7,584

I quite liked it. I admit I am getting a bit tired of Vastra, Jenny, and Strax but the episode handed them well.

The back and fourth between the Twelfth Doctor and Clara was the highlight. Can't wait for Capaldi to have a full episode to be the Doctor and not spend half of it in a regenerative haze.

A couple rumors, the Paternoster Gang is to return in the Series 8 finale. As well, the Beeb and Moffatt are toying with the chance of developing a spin-off series for them. But it all depends on if Moffatt can commit (Doctor Who and Sherlock head roles...might not happen).

The back and forth between Twelve and Clara was great. I think all the Doctor's feel that way after each regeneration and having a companion stare back at them with denial and regret. Someone said that if you reverse the dialogue, it's basically the same. Of course, then I had to try that. I is so true! I didn't even realize until now that they were both doing that to each other, and they didn't see how it was affecting the other. Clara I bet barely remembered Oswin or ClaraOO, maybe not at all. The whole time, Eleven thought of her as a girlfriend, or at the beginning a good friend. But he mentioned a dead version of herself, and I bet when she said "I never thought you were" she meant it. She probably thought the Doctor was keeping her because he wanted to be reminded of the mysterious girl who he mentioned, but even though that hurt, she loved him enough to stay with him. Then, Twelve probably thought all Clara wanted was Eleven when she was starting to see him as a new person, yet the same one at the same time. He was prepared to let her travel with him for as long as she wanted, no matter if all she wanted was Eleven; because even still, he's still a little bit of Eleven, and he couldn't possibly leave his impossible girl.

dn10ra.jpg

IanC    45

Not to spoil anything but the reason the Doctor is confused about his new face and how he is trying to recall where he has seen it before.

You need to watch the second episode of the fourth series with David Tennant as the Doctor. A cetain character left an impression on the Doctor which is why he has chosen that face. ;)

Not to spoil anything but the reason the Doctor is confused about his new face and how he is trying to recall where he has seen it before.

You need to watch the second episode of the fourth series with David Tennant as the Doctor. A cetain character left an impression on the Doctor which is why he has chosen that face. ;)

When I heard the Doctor say that line, my mind went directly to that second episode of the fourth series. I love how Moffat explains loose ends and makes all the Whovians think what if, especially explaining Capaldi being in Doctor Who twice now, three times if you include Torchwood Children of Earth.

Webhamster    45

When I heard the Doctor say that line, my mind went directly to that second episode of the fourth series. I love how Moffat explains loose ends and makes all the Whovians think what if, especially explaining Capaldi being in Doctor Who twice now, three times if you include Torchwood Children of Earth.

Moffat has said he will be addressing where The Doctor gets his faces from. Apparently Russell Davies had an idea for this and Moffat called him last year to ask if it would still work. They kind of nudged it in the 50th with the "in years to come you might revisit a few old faces..." and they have certainly set us up for it in the first episode.

Moffat has said he will be addressing where The Doctor gets his faces from. Apparently Russell Davies had an idea for this and Moffat called him last year to ask if it would still work. They kind of nudged it in the 50th with the "in years to come you might revisit a few old faces..." and they have certainly set us up for it in the first episode.

I wonder if it would work with Colin Baker as well. I want to say he appeared on an episode during the Davison run.

waltere    298

He did indeed.

Interesting coincidence: the same episode Capaldi was in also featured Karen Gillan in a pre-Amy role

He did indeed.

Interesting coincidence: the same episode Capaldi was in also featured Karen Gillan in a pre-Amy role

Yes Colin Baker appeared in the Fifth Doctor story Arc of Infinity as Timelord Commander Maxil in 1983 before he regenerated into the sixth Doctor.

Moffat never truly explained how a previous incarnation of Amy was in Pompei ;)

Ice_Cap    7,584

I'm not against them explaining sometimes the Doctor's new face reflects the visage of someone he met in the past as a way to explain the Sixth and Twelfth incarnations. It's very likely that the Doctor's subconscious would play a role in hos his regenerations turn out. I just hope they don't over-think it.

Ice_Cap    7,584

Eh, for many fans she was the first companion they saw. Kind of goes hand in hand with how people choose their favourite Doctor.

Eh, for many fans she was the first companion they saw. Kind of goes hand in hand with how people choose their favourite Doctor.

could be the same effect as to why some of us prefer certain era of uniforms over the current sets and vise versa. Kinda like how people prefer Pat the Patriot uniforms over the current or mid-late 90's models especially if that's what they first saw or was used to. So I definitely can see your point on that.

When I started getting into it, I started off by watching the reboot series from the start, Eccelston and Piper being the first doctor/companion I actually paid attention to. Now that I am going back and watching the classic series, I enjoy the older companions probably better. That's not to say Rose was bad, because I actually enjoyed her run. I just feel it's a bit of a stretch to say she's the best when she might not have been the best during the first four seasons or the new run all together. I personally, and this is just me, I kinda liked Donna and Rory's run.

So what is everyone's review of "Listen" that aired on Saturday night? I myself have to say it was the best episode so far of Series 8 with the development of the Clara and Danny sideplot, plus the whole monsters under the bed tale. That is what I love about Doctor Who, it brings to life the tales we think are just fairy tales but are real life explanations. And that ending...no worries no spoilers from me

Review of Listen by Emergency Awesome!

waltere    298

Personally I felt it spent 45 minutes being really genuinely sinister and interesting, only to be let down by a pretty lame ending