The American States Cup

thebutkiker

So this is a concept I came up with. The American Sates Cup. It's a soccer (football) tournament where each of the 50 states of America battle in multi-stage tournament. There are ten groups. Each group has 5 states. Each team plays each other two times for a total of ten games each team. Then, the top 2 automatically qualify for the knockout stage. The teams that finish 3rd and 4th battle to see who will go into the knockout stage. A 30 team tournament remains. Much like the Champions League, the teams are randomly selected to see who will go against who. Plus, two teams are randomly selected to have a bye week. Instead of randomly selected each stage for who will go against who, it will be more of a World Cup format where the teams will go against the team above or below them on the bracket that won. Basically like the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Of course it leads to the final, and it is a single-elimination, except for third place game. I have randomly selected the teams and groups seen below in the group stages. For each group I will introduce the jerseys for each state. So here is the Group Stage.

group_stages_by_thebutkiker2-d7ed0d4.png

spacer.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Group A

Alaska

Texas

Wyoming

Kansas

Massachusetts

Well here's my Alaska jerseys. I really just put my main focus on the jersey, not so much the shorts and socks. And I didn't also care about the badges (because i suck at making badges) so I just put the state seal.

alaska_by_thebutkiker2-d7e6fzj.png

spacer.png

As said above, it's too bad you're not making the crests. It would be a really interesting series to follow.

Maybe you could add up some Starting XI to get a glanse at the teams, using FUTHead or whatever !

I used this Wikipedia page when making up Cascadia and New England for a football forum a couple months ago. This could be really helpful here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_American_soccer_players_by_US_state

Where do I come from ?

1399006447-sig1.png

Who do I support ?

1399006379-sig2.png

So since everyone is not liking the idea of the state seal as the crest, I shall attempt to make my own. For each and every logo, there will be a backstory. i.e. When it was started, who it was started by, current players, etc. etc. So update for Alaska by tonight.

spacer.png

Introducing the Alaska Association of Association Football (AAAF). The AAAF was started in 1975 in Juneau, Alaska by Martin Burundukov. Burundukov was born in 1946, of a Russian father and a Scottish mother. He grew up in Vladivostok, learning Russian. His mother brought the influence of soccer (football) when he was 4. He wanted to become a professional for CSKA Moscow in 1958, but eventually stopped because of obesity issues. He moved to Juneau, Alaska in 1972, after his dying mother told him it would be a better life for him. He became friends with many Americans who also loved soccer (football). His only problem was that he learned British English instead of American, so he only knew soccer as association football. In 1974, he had the idea of starting an state-wide Alaska team. He made many names like the Association Football Assocation of Alaska (AFAA) and the Alaskan Association Football Federation (AAFF). He held a vote at the Juneau City Hall for the name. The majority chose the Alaska Association of Association Football. On July 2, 1975, Burundukov finally unveiled the logo after 8 months of carefully planning the AAAF with members of the Alaskan Government, asking permissions for land and stadium use. He also released the roster of the AAAF, consisting of players from Juneau, Fairbanks, Anchorage, and many other citites. On August 4, 1975, Burundukov officially established the AAAF with a match against an amateur team from Canada. The AAAF drew their first ever match, 3-3. The AAAF will be in Group A of the 2014 American States Cup along with Texas Soccer Federation (TSF), the Wyoming State Soccer Association (WSSA), the State of Kansas Soccer Federation (SKSF), and the Massachusetts Football Federation (MFF).

aaaf_by_thebutkiker2-d7ehws6.png

Team Roster:

#1 GK Tally Forrester (Fairbanks)

#3 DF George Frank (Juneau)

#4 MF Gabe Reynolds (Barrow)

#6 MF Apaata Ivanoff (Anchorage)

#7 FW Hunter James (Juneau)

#8 MF Quentin Leonard (Kodiak)

#10 FW Donald Burundukov (Martin Burundukov's son)(Juneau)

#11 DF Justin Schroeder (Vilseck, Germany)(Of Alaskan parents)

#13 DF Hank Kane (Homer)

#14 DF Theo Schulle (Palmer)

#15 DF Nathan Cox (Sitka)

#17 MF William Strong (Barrow)

#19 FW Howard Johnson (Nome)

#20 GK Zack Lux (Ketchikan)

#21 FW Sean Richards (Anchorage)

#23 MF Thomas Perminov (Juneau)

#25 DF Vassily Patrushev (Gambell)

#30 GK Frankie Edwards (Kenai)

Team Formation: 4-3-3

Home Stadium: Burundukov Stadium, Juneau. Capacity: 15,000

alaska_by_thebutkiker2-d7ei788.png

spacer.png

Introducing the Texas Soccer Federation (TSF). The TSF was started in 1953 by Alvaro Nieblas, an immigrant from Spain. Nieblas was born in 1909 in Barcelona, Spain. His father got him into soccer (football) at the age of 2. He joined the FC Barcelona Academy at the age of 8, but dropped out due to money issues. At the age of 11, his parents seperated. At age 12, he left with his mother to go to America. They arrived at Galveston, Texas. There, they moved to Houston. His mother got a job cleaning out a local shop. When he learned American English, he became friends with many other kids. Sadly, only few of them liked soccer (football) At age 18, Nieblas attended college at the University of Houston. He graduated with a Master in Law. He became a very rich lawyer. In 1951, Nieblas retired very early due to how rich he became. That is when he started talks about a Texas soccer team. He partnered with László Kubala, the president of FC Barcelona to start the Texas Soccer Federation. In 1952, Nieblas and Kubala talked to the state government about their new state-wide soccer team. In January of 1953, the Texas Government approved of their team and in March of 1953, Nieblas and Kubala unveiled the logo. Their new stadium was opened in December of 1953, and the TSF won their first game against an amateur team from Austin, 5-1. Nieblas was president for 10 years before resigning. The TSF will play in Group A of the 2014 American States Cup along with the AAAF, the WSSA, the SKSA, and the MFF.

tsf_by_thebutkiker2-d7elrch.png

Team Roster 2014:

#1 GK Andrew Weber (Austin)

#2 DF Chris Klute (Grand Prairie)

#3 MF Francisco Navas (Houston)

#5 DF Bobby Boswell (Austin)

#6 DF Omar Gonzalez (Dallas)

#7 MF Stuart Holden (Sugar Land)

#8 FW Clint Dempsey (Nacogdoches)

#10 FW Conor Doyle (McKinney)

#12 MF Brek Shea (College Station)

#14 DF Zak Whitbread (Houston)