North Dakota Rebrand **UPDATE Jersey Mock-Ups**

hettinger_rl

This is a concept that I've been rolling around for a few years, but haven't quite had the skill set to pull it off. The Nokota horse is a breed that is historically connected to the settlers and natives of North Dakota. They are horses that carried Sitting Bull's people and the horses that helped break the ground for crops.

For my concept I found a suitable pose and tried to give the same style as the, no banned, UND logo. First up is just the sketch.

University of North Dakota Nokotas

2uz5vg9.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to drag this off topic, but since the Spirit Lake Sioux approved the use of their imagery, couldn't UND conceivably bring back the logos and call themselves the Fighting Spirit?

If not, Nakotas is a great nickname for North Dakota and your logo looks awesome... can't wait to see it colored.

Nokota is a cool name but it totally feels like a portmanteau of North + Dakota. And yes, I know that's NOT where it came from. I'm not sure what the etymology of the word is, but in English it feels kind of like if the Mountaineers suddenly became the West Virginia Weginias.

That being said, I'm excited for the concept.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Nokota is a cool name but it totally feels like a portmanteau of North + Dakota. And yes, I know that's NOT where it came from. I'm not sure what the etymology of the word is, but in English it feels kind of like if the Mountaineers suddenly became the West Virginia Weginias.

That being said, I'm excited for the concept.

There are two possibilities on the source of the name, though it's not known which is the right answer. One is in fact the combination of North and Dakota like how you mentioned, the other is if it was named after the Nakota people. However, being that Nakota is spelled different, it's most commonly assumed that it is just a combination of North and Dakota.

As a UND fan and alum, I will be watching this thread. Nokotas has been thrown around quite a bit as a nickname option though there are a few reasons why it isn't a greatly accepted option, but I won't let it spoil your fun. :)

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

I am excited to see how this turns out - great idea!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I think you did too good of a job translating the previous logo into your current one. It makes me think of the warrior "morphing" into a horse. Kind of like some kids show were the characters power is the ability to change into an animal and back to a human. I wouldnt change the logo but I would probably not use the skin tone from the previous logo. Again thats just what I'm seeing every time I look at the logo. Im probably in the minority.

Animorphs_14_The_Unknown.jpg

I think you did too good of a job translating the previous logo into your current one. It makes me think of the warrior "morphing" into a horse. Kind of like some kids show were the characters power is the ability to change into an animal and back to a human. I wouldnt change the logo but I would probably not use the skin tone from the previous logo. Again thats just what I'm seeing every time I look at the logo. Im probably in the minority.

Animorphs_14_The_Unknown.jpg

Ok, I can understand that. Does anyone think that using green in the horse's color would be too drastic?

Something more like this:

8wgigw.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Archived