North Dakota Rebrand **UPDATE Jersey Mock-Ups**

hettinger_rl

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the most colorful brown horse is head and shoulders above the rest of these, and none of them are bad. amazing work.

if you don't want to use the brown horse, then white all the way. the green horse just doesn't work.

Hettinger I really love all your work on the different Dakota and Minnesota schools. I see you are from Aberdeen SD but never seen you do anything for the Northern State University Wolves. Are you a fan of any of the schools you've been making such wonderful throwback logos for?

I do have a couple of old school wolf mock-ups, just never gone farther. I really like the more unique ideas and there are quite a few different wolf ones out there. I'm a SDSU alum so I am a Jackrabbit fan. I also just like the fact that the schools in the area are just starting to get the bigger exposer and would like them to have the options that some of the bigger schools have. The other factor is whether or not the school has a good/fun historical logo.

Thanks for the comments Milkman. Here are some options:

21e6z3n.jpg

First off, I love the idea of the logo and choice of name. I'm quite happy with the general direction you're going. However, you really need to streamline this image. Your linework and shadows are choppy and overly complicated. An athletic logo, particularly for a university, must be adaptable to many applications--print, web, embroidery. You also have to consider how the logo looks when it's shrunken down, which also ties into applications. You're going to lose so much of this detail when it's shrunken down, it's going to look like a muddy mess.

Take what you've got here and simplify it. Give it some ease and flow. Then you'll have something really special.

Some great points here. I haven't been entirely comfortable with all of the shapes. I wish I knew why those things worked on the Sioux logo, but really they mustn't have since they did an update nearly eliminating them. In creating it I was primarily thinking of a big hockey sweater patch, so I will need to revisit these issues after the holiday break.

The dragon issue: I think I need to re-work the nostrils and how wide the muzzle is where it meets the eyes. I'm gonna look more at old SMU and Cal Poly images, maybe the OU Boomer and Sooner mascots, also Disney's Horace Horsecollar.

Thanks for all the C&C everyone!

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I think it definitely helps. I didnt see a dragon until it was mentioned and now can't unsee it on your first one. I think coloring the horse green in the faux back is also what lended to seeing a dragon. White horse with a green hat and an ND logo and I'd say you have a convincing faux back.

I'm not so sure the fauxback is an improvement, IMHO. It still seems to lack something with the snout and nostrils.

Some examples of the kind of throwback you're looking for (maybe):

UQmOiUR.jpg

AMqr5o5.jpg

Maybe the snout shouldn't be so curved downward?

You're one of the best artists on these boards, hettinger_rl, so I feel a bit sheepish offering advice.

FsQiF2W.png

I'm not so sure the fauxback is an improvement, IMHO. It still seems to lack something with the snout and nostrils.

Some examples of the kind of throwback you're looking for (maybe):

UQmOiUR.jpg

AMqr5o5.jpg

Maybe the snout shouldn't be so curved downward?

You're one of the best artists on these boards, hettinger_rl, so I feel a bit sheepish offering advice.

I did check them out initially, but I was going for more of a happy feel. In the region the colleges (NDSU, SDSU, USD, Minn) had happy style logos so I was trying to keep that going. However, most of the vintage logos with horses are mad.

much like the chicago blackhawks, i feel like the logo having brown and mutiple shades/tones in the logo really add a whole lot of visual interest and depth to the logo.

the white horse with only green/white/black details on it just seems so washed out and muted in comparison. i feel like it's a mistake to abandon the originally colored concept. but that's just me.

regardless, this is a great concept, man. i'm really impressed.

the most colorful brown horse is head and shoulders above the rest of these, and none of them are bad. amazing work.

if you don't want to use the brown horse, then white all the way. the green horse just doesn't work.

much like the chicago blackhawks, i feel like the logo having brown and mutiple shades/tones in the logo really add a whole lot of visual interest and depth to the logo.

the white horse with only green/white/black details on it just seems so washed out and muted in comparison. i feel like it's a mistake to abandon the originally colored concept. but that's just me.

regardless, this is a great concept, man. i'm really impressed.

Thanks for your comments. I still have a soft spot for those extra colors, they really tie the Nokota look to the Sioux. But, I do feel that a person can look at this and see the old logo.

NorthDakotaCoyotes_zps34af3db6.png?t=139

I thought the University of North Dakota should go with the Coyotes. Yes the logo is similar to the Phoenix Coyotes but could something be changed about it?

There is already South Dakota Coyotes.... why need other state next door to take the same name? I don't mind Nokotas or Spirits which are good names

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Archived