Personal brand...well kinda.

OliverP

Ok, I said I'm going to make a personal brand but this came up in my head. Its a made up design firm for my graduation project in high school.

Tell me should I use it as a personal brand or do something new that actually contains my name in it.

View the whole project on Behance.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/Grand-Design-branding-graduation-project/16109725

7b0d934a3709849b5a8cbef858d709b2.jpg

[EDIT:presentation with no blur crap on it]

hmm, I like it but I cant help but feel the font in the logo is too different from the wordmark. It almost looks like the letters in the circle are serif yet the wordmark is sans serif. Also I see GID because of the way the top of the G is but it could be overlooked. I do like how you managed to make the G not look like a C though.

By the way, I've seen quite a few people present logos on that angle that look glossy and such. What is it that you guys are using?

I really like the foundation of this. As 1clk mentioned, Gotham doesn't quite look right paired with that icon; the word Grand would be better rendered in something much more closely resembling the text in the lockup. (You could probably keep Design in Gotham or something similar.)

The G isn't quite obvious. What about putting a small notch on the inside of the D upright hinting at the curvature of the G? Not so much that the upright would be broken through, but enough to make the G more noticeable.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

hmm, I like it but I cant help but feel the font in the logo is too different from the wordmark. It almost looks like the letters in the circle are serif yet the wordmark is sans serif. Also I see GID because of the way the top of the G is but it could be overlooked. I do like how you managed to make the G not look like a C though.

By the way, I've seen quite a few people present logos on that angle that look glossy and such. What is it that you guys are using?

Thanks! I'm using a mock up that has smart objects and it makes things soooo much easier...you can download it here

I really like the foundation of this. As 1clk mentioned, Gotham doesn't quite look right paired with that icon; the word Grand would be better rendered in something much more closely resembling the text in the lockup. (You could probably keep Design in Gotham or something similar.)

The G isn't quite obvious. What about putting a small notch on the inside of the D upright hinting at the curvature of the G? Not so much that the upright would be broken through, but enough to make the G more noticeable.

I did make a wordmark out of the same letter style like the monogram, but I couldn't like it. There's something about it...

Eventually I sent it to the scarp folder. My plans for it are to make a typeface but I need more theory under my belt.

This was in the early stages, you can see that I was still choosing colors.

grandoptions_zps34c70d46.jpg

I like that font, its hard to read from a distance though. I guess you couldnt have thin connections in the letters as it would take away from the unique look..

Great start but here's my problems:

The tiny serifs on the main logo are all that distinguish the G into a G, a pretty big gamble in my estimation. However it looks a lot better if you don't use any blur crap on it. Clean look deserves a flat, clean presentation like you did here:

7b0d934a3709849b5a8cbef858d709b2.jpg

8f8baa22a347656e9005f17a15eb47ca.jpg

I think you're in a safe enough position to stop before you overthink the look and change too much, but you don't need to fraser it up with the initial image of the post.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think Andy's on to something -- you need a touch more definition between the G/D. Something I may suggest, throw a notch partially into the center line to carry the G shape over -- but don't carry it through the entire shape so the D is still distinguishable. Like so:

21c6mwh.png

A straight notch or curved notch would work fine here, just wanted to mock it up quick to illustrate the idea.

The type is still bothering me a bit. You don't necessarily have to make the type directly match the monogram, but a font that has the same verticalness would help to unify the mark. Try something like DIN 1451 Std or even Bebas Neue.

I think Bebas is getting run into the ground lately. It's the go-to font for designers who want Impact without using Impact. There's millions of fonts out there. Plumb dafont, fontsquirrel, etc. and find one that's unique. I don't think Gotham is anything wonderful here either but it's a step up from Bebas.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The type is still bothering me a bit. You don't necessarily have to make the type directly match the monogram, but a font that has the same verticalness would help to unify the mark. Try something like DIN 1451 Std or even Bebas Neue.

I think Bebas is getting run into the ground lately. It's the go-to font for designers who want Impact without using Impact. There's millions of fonts out there. Plumb dafont, fontsquirrel, etc. and find one that's unique. I don't think Gotham is anything wonderful here either but it's a step up from Bebas.

To be fair, Gotham is anything but rare.

I agree with you about Bebas being overused, it was really just a quick suggestion on what type of type :P might look better.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

To be fair, Gotham is anything but rare.

I agree with you about Bebas being overused, it was really just a quick suggestion on what type of type :P might look better.

Sure, which is great (sorry if I came off as a dick, just am exhausted of Bebas).

twitter

I think Andy's on to something -- you need a touch more definition between the G/D. Something I may suggest, throw a notch partially into the center line to carry the G shape over -- but don't carry it through the entire shape so the D is still distinguishable. Like so:

21c6mwh.png

A straight notch or curved notch would work fine here, just wanted to mock it up quick to illustrate the idea.

I like this Idea, what if you did this negative masking look on the wordmark?

Believe it or not but Bebas Neue was in one of the versions I made (so was Futura, League Gothic, Gotham and even Geometria)

I could try to use Gobold just so it's not Bebas Neue and I would be content with it because I like that kind of fonts.

Uhhh I just googled DIN 1451 Std and I like it a lot.

21c6mwh.png

Thanks for the advice Doug and it's a great one.

I'll cook up an update after Easter.

Thanks for all the constructive comments...you guys are helping me get a better grade. :)

Archived