Unnecessary anniversary patches on uniforms

Rays

45th kind of makes sense for a team that was called the .45's but it's still pretty stupid. I do agree with rays though, I would say 10,20,25,50,75 and 100 makes the most sense. In a case like the braves celebrating Hank's 40th for the record since he might not be around for 50 that is acceptable.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Add the Astros, Mariners, and Nets as teams that have worn 35th anniversary patches. I'm sure there are many more.

Honestly I see little problem with 35. I think the five-year anniversary patches are silly though:

Bobcats (though don't think they ever wore it on their jerseys), Thrashers, and Wild

Even more irksome, to me, was how the Yankees wore stadium patches for the last year of Old Yankee Stadium (okay, understandable), and New Yankee Stadium (overboard). Alas, the Mets did that too.

Not unnecessary, but the Canucks celebrated their 30th anniversary in the 1999/2000 season, but celebrated their 40th anniversary in the 2010/2011 season.

aauh15zoi14fcb9umyw89n49d.gifvfggw48g3pu1ed37rhhe22jf2.gif

Did they not count the lockout year? If that were true, why did they acknowledge 2010 as anniversary year in the logo? This has always bothered me

I have a problem with memorial patches. I could give a fu*ck if the equipment manager who has been with the team for 70 years or whatever keeled over and died while he was scrubbing the shi*t out of yet another pair of uniform pants. That doesn't mean they merit a memorial patch. You want to wear a black armband or have a strip of black tape for a game or even a series, that's fine, but the entire goddamn season? Screw that. Mark my words when Vin Scully dies the Dodgers are gonna have a memorial patch in his honor except they aren't just gonna wear it for the season, it's gonna be permanent like Halas initials on the Bears jerseys.

I have a problem with memorial patches. I could give a fu*ck if the equipment manager who has been with the team for 70 years or whatever keeled over and died while he was scrubbing the shi*t out of yet another pair of uniform pants. That doesn't mean they merit a memorial patch. You want to wear a black armband or have a strip of black tape for a game or even a series, that's fine, but the entire goddamn season? Screw that. Mark my words when Vin Scully dies the Dodgers are gonna have a memorial patch in his honor except they aren't just gonna wear it for the season, it's gonna be permanent like Halas initials on the Bears jerseys.

LOL......Right, If it´s not a player or coach, don´t wear a :censored:ing patch

I completely disagree. The people behind the scenes of a sports operation are also important and often contribute a team's culture of success and consistency. If the team wants to wear a patch to honor publicly someone who contributed to their organization off the field--even if I have no clue who they were or what they did--I'm completely fine with it. It's completely within the team's prerogative to do so.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I completely disagree. The people behind the scenes of a sports operation are also important and often contribute a team's culture of success and consistency. If the team wants to wear a patch to honor publicly someone who contributed to their organization off the field--even if I have no clue who they were or what they did--I'm completely fine with it. It's completely within the team's prerogative to do so.

Wearing a patch to recognize the long-standing contributions of someone within the organization is a lot more meaningful than a patch that says, "We've been around for 10 years." As with everything, teams can take it too far, but that doesn't mean that memorial patches are not appropriate.

Not unnecessary, but the Canucks celebrated their 30th anniversary in the 1999/2000 season, but celebrated their 40th anniversary in the 2010/2011 season.

[LOGOS REMOVED]

Did they not count the lockout year? If that were true, why did they acknowledge 2010 as anniversary year in the logo? This has always bothered me

The lockout kinda screwed up the anniversary system in the NHL.

In 99/00, the Canucks were celebrating their 30th anniversary year and it was also their 30th season. With the lockout removing a season, the Canucks then celebrated their 40th SEASON during their 41st year in 10/11. So basically it's up to the individual team to decide whether they want to celebrate years or seasons, and then it also allows teams like the Canadiens and Maple Leafs to celebrate their 100th anniversaries over two seasons and get away with it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It is getting kind of absurd with the tangential relationships like owner's spouse, child, or the obscure minority owner with a marginal stake in a club.

With that being said if there will ever been a more deserving permanent memorial in recent decades it will be for Vin Scully. That man is the embodiment of the entire franchise and he's been with that club for nearly its entire existence. :censored: he even moved with the club from Brooklyn, that's definition of an institution.

Archived