2014 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

Rask will win it, Bishop should win it, and Varlamov will be the guy to steal it and try to prove us all wrong next season, only to ultimately fail like Ilya Bryzgalov or Ray Emery (or any other goalie that goes to Philadelphia for that matter.)

Mark my words.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really can't imagine a team spending the money for Ryan Miller after watching him be so thoroughly unremarkable I'm the playoffs. It'll be really interesting to see where he ends up.

If Mike Gillis was still in, I'd put money on him heading for Vancouver. He's goalie-trade/FA happy.
Moving this here as to not clutter up the playoff thread. I did a quick scan on nhlnumbers.com and there's really not many teams that don't already have money tied up in goalies for next year. Calgary, Vancouver, Buffalo, the Isle, St. Louis and probably a couple more that I'm overlooking... not a huge market. I feel like he might take a one year deal to wait out the market; after next year, the Toronto and Pittsburgh jobs could open up.

On a side note, HOLY MOLY are Cam Ward and Ondrej Pavelec not worth the money/term they are getting!

I feel like [Miller] might take a one year deal to wait out the market; after next year, the Toronto and Pittsburgh jobs could open up.

Miller's 34. If he takes a one-year deal, any further contracts will be subject to 35+ cap hits, and teams are going to be far less likely to sign him long-term if he's liable to decline steeply and leave them with dead cap space, unless the Islanders are still going to play the dead cap space game in Brooklyn.

They will.

So he basically has to go for a four-year deal this summer and take what he can get, which as much as we'd like to think will be significantly diminished by how much he crapped the bed for the last two months, will still be a lot, because GMs are desperate and dumb.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Might as well throw what were my trophy ballots here since the topic has vaguely been brought up.

Hart:
1. Crosby (PIT)
2. Giroux (PHI)
3. Getzlaf (ANA)
4. Bergeron (BOS)
5. Pavelski (SJ)

Norris:
1. Weber (NSH)
2. Keith (CHI)
3. McDonagh (NYR)
4. Hedman (TB)
5. Doughty (LA)

Selke:

1. Bergeron (BOS)
2. Kopitar (LA)

3. Giroux (PHI)

4. Toews (CHI)
5. Plekanec (MTL)

Lady Byng:

1. O'Reilly (COL)
2. Seguin (DAL)
3. St. Louis (NYR)
4. Marleau (SJ)
5. Duchene (COL)

Calder:

1. MacKinnon (COL)
2. Palat (TB)
3. Trouba (WPG)
4. Maata (PIT)
5. Johnson (TB)

Lindsay (in theory, not sure why this should differ from the Hart):

1. Crosby (PIT)
2. Giroux (PHI)
3. Getzlaf (ANA)
4. Bergeron (BOS)
5. Pavelski (SJ)

Vezina:

1. Rask (BOS)
2. Varlamov (COL)
3. Bishop (TB)

Jack Adams:

1. Roy (COL)
2. Cooper (TB)
3. Julien (BOS)

General Manager:

1. Chiarelli (BOS)
2. Yzerman (TB)
3. Nill (DAL)

spacer.png

The Flyers are always pretty creative when it comes to working the cap numbers to sign a big-name player. And they always need a goalie....

They probably do need a goalie, but they decided to hitch their cart to Steve freakin' Mason for now.

Yeah, that one's decided.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2014/04/refresher-whats-in-it-for-sabres-if-blues-lose.html

Blues will draft somewhere between 18 and 25 this year, closer to 25, most likely. They'll lose that if they sign Miller early, so I wouldn't expect that to happen. Then again, it is a low first in a weak-ish draft, so who knows. But why even sign him to an extension before the draft if you can just...wait?

Yeah, that one's decided.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2014/04/refresher-whats-in-it-for-sabres-if-blues-lose.html

Blues will draft somewhere between 18 and 25 this year, closer to 25, most likely. They'll lose that if they sign Miller early, so I wouldn't expect that to happen. Then again, it is a low first in a weak-ish draft, so who knows. But why even sign him to an extension before the draft if you can just...wait?

I'm almost positive that there's some separate deal in place for if the Blues re-sign him after this year's draft. It was a very nuanced trade.

Right. They give up a 2016 2nd instead of a 2014 1st if they sign him after the draft. Now that Miller's value has plunged, they can afford to wait, if they even want him back with Brian Elliott and Jake Allen perfectly capable of taking it from here.

But what's most important: he can go to his sister-in-law's wedding!

The Panthers fired Peter Horachek. I'd like to think they won't bring in Horachek's neck-deficient old boss, but that team does need some very coachy coaching. They don't even know how to make a line change.

Archived