2014 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm laughing irrationally hard at this. Quality find.

I'm trying to read each one through in my own Doc impression, and I just can't get through it. I crack up halfway though each one. Absolutely fantastic.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I missed this quote when it happened it April, but I think it's time to consider that Brian Burke may legitimately be a crazy person.

"We're gonna get back to No. 1 to 35. If that was good enough for the great teams in the '50s, then it's good enough for us."

Brian Burke is fixing a team via jersey numbering, and taking the Flames back to the fifties! Slicked hair, Lucky Strikes, wooden sticks, wool sweaters, straight blades, and no union representation for everybody! Maybe Jarome Iginla will get his own water fountain when they bring him back for his "Forever A Flame" night! Classic!

Speaking of Forever A Flame, the Flames no longer retire numbers, they just give guys banners in a ceremony, with the promise that their number will forever be associated with them. Joe Nieuwendyk had his number 25 raised last season; two months from now, 25 will be on the back of a guy whose highest achievement was being the 14th-best forward on the Blackhawks.

I'd like to think Flames fans can take consolation in getting Connor McDavid from this steaming pile of a season, but we all know Burkie's going to give Jim Treliving his "I had a dream" speech, and Calgary will take some grindy WHLer out of Elk Taint, Saskatchewan because he shows High Compete Level.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Burkie tried doing that number thing in Toronto too. Didn't last 2 seconds because Kessel wears 81. The second he let Kessel have his number Burkie had to back down on other players having numbers higher than 35.

I wouldn't even listen to it.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I missed this quote when it happened it April, but I think it's time to consider that Brian Burke may legitimately be a crazy person.

"We're gonna get back to No. 1 to 35. If that was good enough for the great teams in the '50s, then it's good enough for us."

Also, only wooden sticks. If it was good enough for Newsy Lalonde in 1920, it's good enough for us.

Also, no helmets. Damn the NHL's rules. If the great teams in the 50s could win Cups without them, it's good enough for us.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Eh, that's Burke's schtick. He did the same thing in Anaheim. All the established players went to low numbers (except Rob Niedermayer's 44), while all the rookies/call-ups had high numbers and had to earn their low number. (Getzlaf was 51, Perry was 61, Penner was 76, Bobby Ryan was 54)

Bob Murray has kept that practice up for the most part. (Bryan Allen was 55 last year, but switched to 5. Dany Heatley is going with 51 because Getzlaf. And all the young players start high and "earn" their low number. Smith-Pelly is going from 77 to 12, Etem is going 65 to 16, Fowler came in as 54 and changed to 4 before his rookie season's end.)

Meh. If it motivates the players or keeps some sort of order, then great. Doesn't bother me.

---

That "Forever A Flame" thing is such crap. So Lanny McDonald and Mike Vernon are going to be the only guys with their Flames number retired, ever? Everybody else, like Al MacInnis, Joe Nieuwendyk and presumably Jarome Iginla, will have a banner raised with their number on it, but it's not retired? Why bother? Just do a ring of honor or whatever.

Waiting for PK Subban to sign or not sign is nervewracking as hell!

That relationship seems so dysfunctional, it'll probably go to arbitration. If Brooks Orpik gets $5.5M, then P.K. Subban is worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Waiting for PK Subban to sign or not sign is nervewracking as hell!

That relationship seems so dysfunctional, it'll probably go to arbitration. If Brooks Orpik gets $5.5M, then P.K. Subban is worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Yeah seriously. Even Brian Gionta was making around the 5 million mark last year.

I wouldn't say dysfunctional, at least not yet. But it definitely raises question marks on why they're taking it to the limit, and waiting till the last minute to give all us anxiously awaiting Habs fans some answers.

Apparently the Habs and Subban are $3m apart.

My guess is he wants $11M, and the Habs want $8M

I read he wants 8.5 and Mtl is offering 5.5

Well Montreal is bat____ crazy if they think they can really sign P.K. Subban for the same money as Brooks Orpik got this summer.

Shea Weber and Ryan Suter have cap hits in the $7.5M-$8M range, so $8.5M seems pretty reasonable.

And now officially, Montreal and Subban have gone to arbitration.

http://deadspin.com/p-k-subban-and-the-habs-head-to-arbitration-1614526481

Apparently, a deal must be made by Sunday, or else...

Or else Eugene Melnyk finds the money he dropped under his pillow and goes out to buy Subban and form the deadliest first pair defense combo in NHL history.

No?

Montreal is being really stupid for dicking around with Subban like they are. Even if the Canadiens accept the arbitration number, I wouldn't sign long term there if I was Subban. Yes, they are the historic Montreal Canadiens, and yes, they had a great run last year, but the way they've treated him when it comes to contract negotiations is ridiculous.

The best (or in this case, most fun) thing that could happen is the Habs turn down the arbitration money, he goes UFA, and he signs with the Maple Leafs. That probably couldn't happen this season as the Leafs only have $370K in cap space right now but, if PK does the one more year in Montreal, Toronto has space in 2015. And wouldn't that be juicy.

---

Also, to no surprise, the Ducks announced that they will retire Teemu Selanne's No. 8 on January 11 prior to the game against Winnipeg.

Archived