Atlanta in MLS

bleuet

Atlanta Freebirds? Badstreet USA could be their theme song. :D

Peachtree FC was my idea, but I also like the name Terminus FC, or I could see Atlanta FC with a phoenix on the badge. I wouldn't worry about the glut of FC's in MLS. Most leagues have several teams that identify as FC (or whatever their languages equaivalent is).

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell, the Thrashers name worked it's just the team didn't. Would be fun if they did what the Colorado Rockies did and adopt the moniker of the city's defunct NHL team. I know it won't happen. But hey...

I actually thought about that, but it wouldn't work with those colors

I want to see the Atlanta Flames, which would make an interesting match up with the Chicago Fire... and if only the Dallas Burn were still around...

I believe the NHL still holds the trademark to that name as you can still buy old Atlanta Flames merchandise from them.

I want to see the Atlanta Flames, which would make an interesting match up with the Chicago Fire... and if only the Dallas Burn were still around...

I believe the NHL still holds the trademark to that name as you can still buy old Atlanta Flames merchandise from them.

Correct.

The Phoenix would work. A Phoenix is on the city seal and flag. I think Atlanta will do a fine job with a footy team contrary to skeptics' opinions.

Was it placed on the seal because the city literally rose from the ashes in the late 19th century?

I've always been a fan of the name Silverbacks for a sports team. They should continue to call themselves that.

Just to clarify, the new MLS team is not the Silverbacks. There's no "continue" to it.

But I agree they should buy the name from the NASL club. It's too good to let go. And if they don't, I hope the Silverbacks franchise brings NASL soccer to another city.

The Phoenix would work. A Phoenix is on the city seal and flag. I think Atlanta will do a fine job with a footy team contrary to skeptics' opinions.

Was it placed on the seal because the city literally rose from the ashes in the late 19th century?

Correct.

If the Silverbacks name can't be used than Atlanta Firebirds would be my vote. While I like Atlanta Phoenix, the fact it shares a name with another city does make it a bit odd (but still doable). Firebirds sounds great though.

niagaraq.png

Firebirds is a great name .. ties into the Phoenix without using that word, shares thw Bird theme with the Falcons and Hawks and shares the AF innitials with the Falcons.

Only if their logo is this.

smokey-and-the-bandit_i01.jpg

Burt Reynolds is optional.

While it pains me that Phoenix is nowhere on the MLS horizon (granted there are several more deserving cities), branding a team with an identity that is also the name of a major US city would be a terrible mistake.

I doubt there is an owner of any professional franchise that wants his/her franchise associated (directly/indirectly) with another city whether or not they are a competitor.

Pretend the mythological "Phoenix" is actually named another US city and add it to Atlanta. Atlanta Miami, Atlanta Dallas, Atlanta Memphis, etc...while the ownership wants fans to have a large say in the matter, I'd like to believe no intelligent ownership group would finalize on it.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I don't think they should necessarily be called the Atlanta Phoenix or any other variation of city and mascot, but a Phoenix on the crest would be perfect, in my humble opinion. I personally wouldn't mind Atlanta F.C. and have Blank buy the Silverbacks as well and have them under one umbrella.

I just hope the name does not include "football club" since the Falcons often refer to themselves as the "Atlanta Falcons Football Club."

Since when? I have never seen them branded as that. Only Atlanta Falcons. Show me an instance of them using football club

Archived