Atlanta MLS challenge

topheragan

Ive been lurking on the forums admiring the work you all do. Today, Atlanta officially got the MLS franchise and Arthur Blank has said that team name and logo will be up wfor suggestion/discussion. He did reveal the colors would be red, black, and gold and that they would stay away from the Chiefs name from our NASL days. Any one interested in creating a logo/kit for a team with no identity yet?

One of my greatest fears as an Atlantan is that our team gets a horrible logo/name/identity. I was an avid Thrashers fan but that was one of the worst logos in pro sports history.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/pro-sports/mls-to-atlanta-countdown-is-on/nfbc3/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

According to the AJC, the colors are Red, White, and Gold.

Arthur Blank says he wants the name decided by the fans - there's already a movement for the 'Terminus' name after Atlanta's original name.

'Terminus FC'? Cool in a weird way.

is this a request or are you going to make the concept yourself?

I'm quite interested in what will be produced, my guess is an Italian style oval crest as the base with some Silverbacks FC influenced designs here and there.
Terminus FC would be an interesting name, but probably quite unlikely.

Also, there are quite a few Atlanta soccer concepts around the board already. But you will start seeing some serious concepts appear shortly.

I a mhoping they take aspects from the Silverbacks club, the Italian oval crest as a base and maybe a reference to the Gorilla Silverback. (Alot of current Atlanta supporters are outraged that they removed the gorilla from the crest for the current one.)

Why are so many against Europeanizing? Since Europeanizing the MLS, Its become a huge success. You can't possibly be serious when you say Dallas Burn, Wizards, Clash, Mutiny, and Fusion were better than their Europeanized Counterparts. Most went defunct anyway.

Im gonna compare this to hockey for a second. Europe had a Soccer style setup for hockey, each country had a league. It never worked out. Since the KHL has North Americanized itself, its has expanded into multiple countries and has more popularity worldwide.

There comes a time when it just isnt working that well and its time to change it up. Europeanization is proving successful as well as being classier organizations that wont get laughed at around the world. The MLS used to be a joke around the world. Hell the A-League used to be better. But now, they are selling MLS jerseys in Europe and the MLS is now getting legitamate professional players into the league.

Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and realize what you like isnt best for the sport as a whole. Sorry, but thats my opinion lol

I am all for a global styled name, as long as it works for the city.

Real Salt Lake is a joke. There is nothing royal about the team, so the name does not work.

D.C. United works very well, as does a simple name like FC Dallas or FC Toronto.

I am split on Sporting KC. Wiz was such a bad name that anything was better, but the Sporting part just seems silly.

For Atlanta I would love to see Atlanta Olympic or Atlanta Olympian as the name. Harken back to 1996.

Terminus could also work.

As long as they don't partner with the Mexican club to become Atlanta Atlante. That would not work.

Real Salt Lake is a joke. There is nothing royal about the team, so the name does not work.

For Atlanta I would love to see Atlanta Olympic or Atlanta Olympian as the name. Harken back to 1996.

Pretty sure the Spanish "owned" Utah from 1540 - 1840, but with only 22% Hispanics in SLC, it doesn't make too much sense. However, I do like the name and it seems succesful so it's best to leave it be.

Olympic Atlanta would be pretty cool to. Just as long long as they don't put "ATL" somewhere, I'm gonna be ok with it.

I am all for a global styled name, as long as it works for the city.

D.C. United works very well, as does a simple name like FC Dallas or FC Toronto.

I am split on Sporting KC. Wiz was such a bad name that anything was better, but the Sporting part just seems silly.

Terminus could also work.

As long as they don't partner with the Mexican club to become Atlanta Atlante. That would not work.

I agree with everything you said, and have been telling people for a while. Well, except for the Atlanta Atlante thing haha. Seriously took the words right out of my mouth.

Is there an official site accepting concepts or names?

Not yet. The official site just launched yesterday.

I'm trying to work on a couple of concepts myself but I am quite a noob. As far as names go, many people like having Terminus in the name. Resurgens is getting thrown in the mix a great deal. An AJC poll has using Chiefs from the old NASL days leading but I've read that they aren't going to consider that name.

I'm interested to see how everything plays out with the Silverbacks. I actually really like the name and badge and think it is an interesting mascot. Of course, I was a child in the 80's and remember what a huge superstar Willy B the Gorilla was around here so I may be biased.

One name that I personally keep coming back to is Empire. Georgia has the unfortunate self-given nickname "The Empire State of the South" so it would tie in nicely. Atlanta Empire or Empire Atlanta SC, et al sounds pretty classy to me.

I made a quick doodle using Empire on a sketch pad during lunch at work today. Will post a pic soon.

Why are so many against Europeanizing? Since Europeanizing the MLS, Its become a huge success. You can't possibly be serious when you say Dallas Burn, Wizards, Clash, Mutiny, and Fusion were better than their Europeanized Counterparts. Most went defunct anyway.

Im gonna compare this to hockey for a second. Europe had a Soccer style setup for hockey, each country had a league. It never worked out. Since the KHL has North Americanized itself, its has expanded into multiple countries and has more popularity worldwide.

There comes a time when it just isnt working that well and its time to change it up. Europeanization is proving successful as well as being classier organizations that wont get laughed at around the world. The MLS used to be a joke around the world. Hell the A-League used to be better. But now, they are selling MLS jerseys in Europe and the MLS is now getting legitamate professional players into the league.

Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and realize what you like isnt best for the sport as a whole. Sorry, but thats my opinion lol

The KHL also has a lot more Russian oil/blood money funding it. That's probably a bigger reason for its success.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The KHL also has a lot more Russian oil/blood money funding it. That's probably a bigger reason for its success.

Cause the Russian exclusive Superleague was so successful right? lol

Cause the Russian exclusive Superleague was so successful right? lol

Successful enough for the KHL to be a rebranded RSL, yes....

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How about using the the Thrashers?

God knows that city ain't getting hockey back anytime soon so why not?

If Blank isn't gonna use 'Silverbacks', bring back a name associated with the city and state that doesn't sound goofy.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

How about using the the Thrashers?

God knows that city ain't getting hockey back anytime soon so why not?

If Blank isn't gonna use 'Silverbacks', bring back a name associated with the city and state that doesn't sound goofy.

I was a devoted Thrashers fan for 12 years and held season tickets for 3.... I don't think that myself or any of the other Blueland Faithful would take kindly to that line of logic. It would be like reopening a wound every time we visited the pitch. No thanks.

Personally, I agree with many on other forums and the press that say that we should stay away from renaming from failed franchises.... bad karma.

Archived