What's Your Uniform Demographic: Traditional vs. Modern

rmackman

Music Preferences: Mostly alternative, both modern (most of what's on Sirius XM Alt Nation or XMU) and classic (The Replacements, Husker Du, The Pixies), but with smatterings of electronic (Squarepusher, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada), underground rap/hip hop, punk, psychobilly, and outlaw country thrown in.

Music Dislikes: Modern country, pop (anything Top 40), Skrillex

Clothing Preferences: A notch above casual with a bit of European flair/hipster chic thrown in, lots of neutrals with a pop of color here and there. My wardrobe primarily consists of button-down shirts, sweaters, plaid flannel shirts, zip-up hoodies, vintage-inspired tees, polos, flat-front slacks, skinny jeans, field boots, and 70s-era vintage-looking sneakers. I've even been known to bust out the occasional vest or bow tie on occasion. My favorite brands are J.Crew (I have a lot of this, up until recently my wife worked part-time for them and we got a nice discount), Original Penguin, Fossil, Homage, and Puma. I'm in a design profession (architecture), so I try to make sure my look is always polished whether it's at work or more casual.

Sports Uniform Preferences: Whatever makes the most sense for a particular team, but I do tend to skew towards the traditional or modern interpretation thereof (the Original Six are my absolute favorite of any sport).

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Modern for the sake of modern (most of Nike's updates lately for the NFL and college sports come to mind).

QPR%20Sig.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music Preferences: Hard Rock (Still love to pull out my 1990s "grunge"), a bit of Metal, a bit of rap, some softer rock (like Folk).

Music Dislikes: Country, techno / dubstep

Clothing Preferences: Case-by-case...nothing special. No name brands showing on my clothing if I can help it..

Sports Uniform Preferences: Tend toward classic, but like some modern looks (like the previous seahawks). Prefer white vs. gray in MLB; prefer simple football helmet logos to too much detail (and hate college mascots on helmets); prefer horizontal striping patterns in hockey; love block numbers.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Uniforms meant to represent the manufacturer instead of the team; too many uniforms for a team; gray face masks; most custom number fonts; laces on hockey uniforms

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Music Preferences: Classic Hard Rock KISS and Queen

Music Dislikes: Rap and techno (Rap is Crap!)

Clothing Prefeferences: Comfortable clothes, Polo shirts, work and dress pants, comfortable shoes

Sports Uniform Preferences: Classic cuts and traditional teams. Yankees, Tigers, Bo Sox Ect. for MLB Packers, Raiders, for NFL, Orginal Six and some of the other older traditional cuts for the NHL, Not much in the NBA though the current Suns uni has thier traditional colors back, and a big "tip of the hat to past looks, Modern but classic at the same time.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: NBA "sleeved" uniforms, looks like a bloody t-shirt! Modern uniforms just for change, BFBS, if its not a primary uniform color, black does not belong on it.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

Music Preferences: Alternative (Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains)

Music Dislikes: Modern Crap

Clothing Preferences: Sports jersey and a baseball cap

Sports Uniform Prefernces: Classic (Yankees, Tigers, Cubs, etc.) and throwbacks.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Moder awfulness (Miami Marlins, Sharpie" colored Oregon Ducks football jersey) and outdated classics" (Vancouver stick-in-rink)

Good: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/fhh6ajnjkf7vfo1hyxrr2g4ci/Detroit_Tigers/1958/Home_Uniform

Bad: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/97ojkjee6dx3e3su71gpjqqhs/Vancouver_Canucks/1973/Home_Uniform

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Music Preferences: Alternative (Foo Fighters, Foster the People, Muse), 70's-90's Rock (ACDC, Soundgarden, Quiet Riot), 80's rap (Run DMC, Beastie Boys), 90's Ganster Rap (Public Enemy, Kausion), and Country (Only when it comes on. It's not something I listen to often)

Music Dislikes: Dubstep, Modern Rap and Pop

Clothing Preferences: T-shirt, athletic shorts, Nike shoes, ankle socks, Sperry's, Polo shirt, khaki pants or shorts.

Sports Uniform Preferences: Traditional with some modern flare. Mainly jerseys that aren't over the top, and have a unique, cutom font. Ex:

HOUSTON-TEXANS-MAIN.jpgdetail_1304_astros_uni_comp_primary.jpgmemphis-grizzlies-home-uniform-3-primarydal_tcu_uniforms1x_576.jpg

Sports Uniform Dislikes: NHL Edge, BFBS, GFGS, chrome helmets (besides purple), pink breast cancer uniforms, cookie cutter template uniforms.

Boise-State-Broncos-Nike-Uniforms.jpgwku-chrome.jpgcheap-pittsburgh-penguins-jersey-reebok-

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Music Preferences: Jazz - from Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, J.J. Johnson - to Contemporary Jazz like Michael Brecker, Yellowjackets, Pat Metheny, Take 6, Big Band, Brazilian Music, Salsa, Classical (anything from 14th-15th century to Modern), Contemporary Christian, R&B, Hip-Hop, Motown, '60s-'70s Fusion. A lot of different things.

Music Dislikes: Classic Rock. Metal.

Clothing Preferences: Casual. T-shirt and jeans. Hate suits and ties. However, I DO work in Corporate America...

Sports Uniform Preferences: I prefer a more natural progression stylistically. I'd rather have a team with an established identity modernize and yet retain some of the better elements instead of completely redesigning every couple of years.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Gray facemasks. Throwbacks as a third uniform. Gray facemasks. Overly-designed uniforms/too many design elements (e.g., Buccaneers, Seahawks). Oh, and Gray facemasks.

Music Preferences: Anything I can connect too. Mostly silly angsty punk stuff. Screw the establishment and school \m/

Music Dislikes: Pop music

Clothing Preferences: Brown pants and flannels and baseball hats

Sports Uniform Preferences: Anything tasteful that fits the team. For example, given their history I'd never want to see the Yankees trot out in a red white & blue softball top with pinstriped hats. They feel right with a classic look, as do the Red Sox and the Orioles and the Phillies and Mets.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Something that's bland or tasteless that doesn't fit the team. Ex: The Rockies wearing pinstripes. Don't act like the Yankees, you've been around for 21 years. Another one, the Astros going for such a bland set that just feels like it's slapped on a basic template. Also drop shadows. Never.

I never realized that this board had become so fueled by teen power.

There are more on here than I realized...I am surprised by a lot of peoples age on this board.

Yeah and they were all apparently born in the wrong generation as they hate modern music.

This thread has actually been pretty interesting. I've learned a lot about people on this board. There are more posters with preferences for classic looks as opposed to modern styles by a lot it seems. Although granted we've only had three pages of posts, and that is not a fair sample size of this board.

My initial thought was that the younger you were, and the more eclectic your music and fashion tastes, the more likely you were to prefer the zany modern styles of today's jerseys that manufacturers are spitting out. While there were a few posts on here that skewed towards that, there are also many young posters who like the classic looks as well.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

This thread has actually been pretty interesting. I've learned a lot about people on this board. There are more posters with preferences for classic looks as opposed to modern styles by a lot it seems. Although granted we've only had three pages of posts, and that is not a fair sample size of this board.

My initial thought was that the younger you were, and the more eclectic your music and fashion tastes, the more likely you were to prefer the zany modern styles of today's jerseys that manufacturers are spitting out. While there were a few posts on here that skewed towards that, there are also many young posters who like the classic looks as well.

I do like a couple of eccentric logos, such as Pittsburgh's “Robopenguin" from the 90s (the one you have in your signature), but I am a firm believer in tradition.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Music Preferences: Just about anything. From 90's R&B to Jazz, Classical to Video Game music, Hip-Hop to Electronica, my tastes are quite varied.

Music Dislikes: Not a big fan of the current state of R&B. I'm also not much for the "Disney Pop" and "Trap Music Hip Hop" that seems to be more popular these days. Also, despite having a few Country songs scattered here and there in my music library, I'm not a fan of the genre as a whole.

Clothing Preferences: At home or for short trips around town, I prefer to go casual. Shorts, t-shirts & sleeveless shorts, jerseys, stuff like that. For anything else, my ideal outfit is tight-fitting jeans, a t-shirt, some type of vest or jacket, summer scarf, necklace & bracelet, and a nice hat to top it all off. The suit & tie and polo looks are not for me.

Sports Uniform Preferences: I love to see well-executed design, whether it be modern or traditional. Creativity, when used right, wins points with me as well. Also, nothing pleases me more than classy modern updates to traditional looks (Lakers, Bills, Ohio State Pro Combats, etc.).

Sports Uniform Dislikes: Lifeless, uncreative, paint-by-numbers "redesigns," random clashing elements that create confusion instead of cohesion. I love colors, so incorrect usage of color balance or poor color choices drive me nuts as well. Improper use of the neutrals (White, Black, and Grey) is also a pet peeve of mine.

With me, it's not so much a question of "Modern vs Traditional" as it is "Well-Done or Not?"

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I do like a couple of eccentric logos, such as Pittsburgh's “Robopenguin" from the 90s (the one you have in your signature), but I am a firm believer in tradition.

Everything ever associated with the robopenguin is terrible. But on the other hand, I love the early 90's Canucks set, so my tastes probably aren't all that great :D

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Music Preferences: Used to play an instrument in school so I have a wide taste. Hip-Hop/R&B, Blues/Jazz, Alternative/Rock, Electronic (some EDM), and movie scores.

Music Dislikes: Not a lot, but the Electronic/Trap-Pop music as of late. (Pitbull, Katy Perry, will.i.am)

Clothing Preferences: Minimal, but trendy.

Sports Uniform Preferences: Classics, modern done right. Design ties with the city/mascot.

Sports Uniform Dislikes: 3/5 of the recent Nike NFL unis. (Jags, Dolphins, Bucs), Designs like the Cardinals and the Vikings '06-'12. Gradients, chrome, gray facemasks, and neon colors.

You're asking to get slumped boi

Don't compare Passion Pit to dubstep again... ever.

I'm sorry, but you can't hate dubstep and like a band that relies heavily on synths going WUMPWUMPWUMPWUMPWUMP

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You're asking to get slumped boi

Don't compare Passion Pit to dubstep again... ever.

I'm sorry, but you can't hate dubstep and like a band that relies heavily on synths going WUMPWUMPWUMPWUMPWUMP

lol stick to uniform discussion

Archived