Salvaging Nike's Rebrands with Their Own Work

drdougfresh

Interesting. I think we have very different definitions of "cluttered" ;). I'm definitely going to change the pants, but I'm going to keep the rest. Remember, the goal here is not to recreate the NPC series, but to use what Nike created as a basis for a full time set. To me, the helmet logo is a necessary element for a full time look for OSU. But everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Regarding the pant striping, it's uniform throughout, so I don't want to disrupt that flow.

WV - i have one suggestion here. Instead of using navy, try a royal blue. Better yet, try some metallic royal! I say that just because i think WV should have some yellow and blue but you dint have to put a lot in the uniform. Just using it on the numbers might make for a really cool look

oregon St - absolutely perfect. That pro combat uni is one of my favorites of all time. I think you just nailed what they should have done with the rebrand last year

Vey much looking forward the rest if the series

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

WV - I'm strangely okay with the yellow jersey (as you said it distinguishes them from other schools) and you could maybe add some more navy to the overall jersey, but my biggest problem with this concept is the yellow pants. Having the yellow-on-yellow look is a terrible eyesore - they've done it before and it just looks bad. I personally think a dark gray pant option would look really good for them.

Oregon State - Looks great. You mentioned the pant stripe and that could stand to be fixed. Also, maybe a little radical, but how about a cream away jersey? It appears as if you are using cream in the striping so the white jersey looks strange

Doug, these are flat out fantastic man! WVU looks amazing, even if the yellow pants seems a little over the top - it makes them different and stand out. The eagle at the collar is a great touch as well - i never knew it existed.

OSU looks great too. That set is one of my all-time favorite one-off looks and i think youve done a great job at translating it to a fully usable full time set that isnt too busy or "cluttered." I would, however, look into using the cream color in place of the white on the away set. Something about the cream juxtaposed with th white just isnt sitting well ATM.

The presentation is outstanding - as always. Keep it up man!

- P.S. nice helmet template ;) Glad someones putting it to use

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

First, edits!

I've updated the original posts, so be sure to go back and check them out.

• WVU: I livened up the blue a bit to move it closer to royal on the logos -- I wanted to bring more in but I couldn't find a way to make it look right. I think this is a decent happy medium. Thanks for the suggestion, Brandon!
  • OSU: Adios, wraparound stripe. Also, hello cream jersey, because why the hell not? I do like the vintage feel it brings to the set — now that the hockey vintage white fad is over, it's not so bad ;)

And now,

Miami Hurricanes

um-mock_zpsf7a707cf.jpg

I'm thinking I'm going to get some flack for the numerals here, so I'll just lead with with that. One thing I loved about Miami's one-offs in both 2009 and 2010 was the split numbers. The 2010 PC also had some palm tree leaves sublimated into the shoulders and numbers, so I took the same approach with the ibis logo to marry the NPC and this year's release a little bit. The numbers are meant to be trimmed in a reflective material (like this) to increase visibility. The shoulders also feature the ibis — it seems that Nike thought was a decent enough concept to carry over. I wanted to keep things relatively simple with a few modern elements. To me, Miami has always pushed the envelope a bit, but they also have a solid history of classic uniforms, so they may be one of the only teams that can pull off the modern top sandwiched by a traditional helmet and pant.

Miami has always been a W/O/W and W/W/W team to me, so I wanted to bring that back and make it so they'll always wear these combos. I also hate the addition of "smoke" to the color scheme, so I left that out entirely. It takes so much away from this bright palette, IMO.

This is definitely one that I strayed a little further from the concept on, but I didn't want to go monochrome, and the NPC pants/helmets were a tad boring. Pitt's next!

um-reboot_zps1d5e6d1a.png

Miami has always been a W/O/W and W/W/W team to me, so I wanted to bring that back and make it so they'll always wear these combos. I also hate the addition of "smoke" to the color scheme, so I left that out entirely. It takes so much away from this bright palette, IMO.

They wore orange pants on the road throughout the 80's and 90's, and the past three seasons theyve worn orange pants on the toad consistently. You should definitely think about changing that on the road. Other than that, this is top notch. Especially good to see a great concept for my favorite team.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

For Miami, I like the return of the split numbers. But the orange top, I think, should have a white half on the numbers. The orange on orange blends too much and is tough to decipher. I like the way you implemented the Ibis logo that is on the shoulders now and added to it.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Good stuff again Doug. I really like this. Its a great melding together of two pretty damn good designs for Miami. Ill agree with the previous statement that the split orange/green numbers on the orange jersey is a little hard to read...but your explanation of reflective numerals might just make the difference.

If you set up your templates like i do, you should be able to select the orange part of the number, then copy that part from your specular of global (whatever you call your multiply lighting layer) and use that to up the reflectivity and/or shadow on that orange in the number to make it pop on your action template. Id say use a metallic/reflective orange outline with split white/green but i don't really know if that solves the problem either...

Other than the numbers i think you've knocked this one out of the part. Looking forward to pitt

zPfTNXq_sm_zpsu3fsswbz.jpg 8DRvuUI_sm_zpsthbhbnio.jpg

Maurer_icons-02_zps7dcbd790.png Maurer_icons-01_zpsfee43a9b.png

Random question. What brush technique are you using for behind the player?

Not sure what the brushes are called besides 'dry brushes'. Can't remember where I got them, unfortunately. Past that it's just basic masking, layering, and clone stamps.

Mau - I'm just full on swapping these bad boys, so it saves me a little time instead of building templates for every one. But I like that idea, let me see what I can come up with. The top color has to be different from the outline (white would be dreadful), and I'm avoiding using smoke, so it might be my oly option ;)

Archived