San Francisco Giants Redesign (Completed!)

TheGiantsFan

Even though I'm a very passionate Giants fan, I dislike the inconsistency in our uniform set. So I've decided to take on a redesign of the team with more unification and consistency. So far, I only have an early sketch of a wordmark and a matching cap logo:
BlzK-JECEAA-wuz.jpg

As you can see, my wordmark is greatly inspired by the retro font used on the new Orange Friday jerseys:
2287.gif

That's all I have so far. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. And just like my baseball series, this is gonna be hand-drawn.

~ Daryl

It looks a lot like a San Francisco font I found a few years ago. I still like it though, the whole wordmark represents SF well and thats what is needed.

I like the current uniforms (obviously with some modification to improve consistency), but I like the idea of basing a set off of the classic script logo. I'm looking forward to seeing the uniforms and primary.

Thank you! I do indeed like the Giants' current set, but I am indeed redesigning it for consistency.

It looks a lot like a San Francisco font I found a few years ago. I still like it though, the whole wordmark represents SF well and thats what is needed.

Thanks! Would this happen to be that wordmark you speak of?

zmxyzq43clsi10aws0uhita46.gif

Interesting looking hat logo. Curious to see where this goes (If you plan on continuing it and putting these on a uniform)

Thanks! I do plan on continuing this concept and make it just like the complete uniform sets seen on my baseball series.

----------------------------------------------

Today, I have an early version of the home and road uniforms as well as a revised wordmark. First of all, here's the wordmarks:

Bl4LagLCUAAwN6l.jpg

And the home jersey:

Bl2NpHyCMAA2pzf.jpg

Note that the primary logo I will be using is this one the Giants used to use:

2284.gif

And finally, the road jersey:

Bl4K_LXCAAARM5E.jpg

These are obviously not the final versions and I'm open to any suggestions for changes. Any suggestions for alternates are also appreciated, and I am for sure adding an orange alternate to this set.

~ Daryl

Don't really like the orange baseball, looks too much like a basketball. But the jerseys look fine.

The jerseys are great (esp. the San Francisco script), but like ScoffingYayap said, the orange baseball doesn't look nearly as good as a white/cream one would.

Thanks, guys! I decided to tweak the primary logo based on your suggestions. As for the colors, I'm sticking with purely orange and black without any cream or gold. Much more simple that way, in my opinion.

Front numbers need to be closer to the wordmarks.

The collar trim is exclusive to the back of the uni?

I'll move the front number closer to the wordmark in the final. Thanks for the suggestion!

The collar trim isn't just exclusive to the back of the uniform. It actually stretches around the entire jersey. That's just how I have it drawn in my template.

---------------------------------------------

So as requested, here's the tweaked primary logo:

Bl9eJp9CUAE06h3.jpg

What do you guys think?

~ Daryl

Alright, here's my shot at a secondary logo incorporating the Golden Gate Bridge:

BmAxOWkCAAA6vTF.jpg

The top part is already pretty good, in my opinion, but it's the bottom part that might need some improvement. I originally thought about putting 1958 there (the year the Giants moved from New York to San Francisco), but my friend suggested some waves because San Francisco is the City By the Bay, after all.

~ Daryl

I'd go with the wave, if only for reference to the splash hits. Nicely done.

Thanks!

-------------------------------

Tonight, I have for you guys the slightly tweaked Friday home jerseys for my redesigned Giants:

BmHKOt-CAAItWRc.jpg

No major changes as this is, after all, the jersey I based this redesign off of. However, I got rid of the double piping and the gold outlines. Other than that, nothing new for the alternate.

Any ideas for a road alternate jersey?

~ Daryl

Even though I'm a very passionate Giants fan, I dislike the inconsistency in our uniform set. So I've decided to take on a redesign of the team with more unification and consistency. So far, I only have an early sketch of a wordmark and a matching cap logo:

BlzK-JECEAA-wuz.jpg

As you can see, my wordmark is greatly inspired by the retro font used on the new Orange Friday jerseys:

2287.gif

That's all I have so far. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. And just like my baseball series, this is gonna be hand-drawn.

~ Daryl

I can see where you're going with this. You're designing the SF to match with Giants script. But IMHO there are sometimes differences in cap logo and the uniform logo. When it comes to designing uniforms/logos, some fonts or letters just look better.To me, the SF cap logo looks better than the captial G used in the script.

Love the Giants workmark superimposed on the baseball... it's a nice change to see someone who hand draws,rather than use computer technology!

I really like the tweaked Orange Friday alt, especially the now consistent piping. As for road alts, maybe a black version of the current road alt, with your new insignia?

giants2012.jpg

IMHO these are the best of the Giants unis, long live the Roger Craig era (1985-1992)

I really like the tweaked Orange Friday alt, especially the now consistent piping. As for road alts, maybe a black version of the current road alt, with your new insignia?

giants2012.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion! The road alt in my redesign is exactly what you suggested!

I can see where you're going with this. You're designing the SF to match with Giants script. But IMHO there are sometimes differences in cap logo and the uniform logo. When it comes to designing uniforms/logos, some fonts or letters just look better.To me, the SF cap logo looks better than the capital G used in the script.

Love the Giants wordmark superimposed on the baseball... it's a nice change to see someone who hand draws,rather than use computer technology!

IMHO these are the best of the Giants unis, long live the Roger Craig era (1985-1992)

Yep, that's right. I'm redesigning the Giants around that retro Giants script. Could you go into a bit more clarification about the differences in cap logo and uniform logo you're trying to tell me about?

And thanks for the kind words! If you wanna see more of my drawings, check out my thread, Hand-Drawn Baseball Drawings. Everything's there and there's a link in my sig.

------------------------------------------------

Well guys, I finally finished it. I have the complete set of my redesigned San Francisco Giants. Here it is!

14048648623_f54eb8d41c_c.jpg

It's been quite a fun process making these jerseys, especially working around everyone's feedback. I would like to give a big shoutout to SFGiants58 as he helped quite a lot with the logos and jerseys and such. Thank you very much!

That marks the end of this thread, so enjoy the final concept!

~ Daryl

Archived