What Arkansas Should Have Done

JPDesign

With Arkansas' newest football unveiling I felt slightly in the minority of being a bit disappointed. While their last set wasn't perfect by any means, I really liked the uniqueness of the "razor-stripe" and thought there was something ownable about it. Much moreso than the "tusk / stadium jaw" insert color insert.

Overview of what I did here:

• Kept razor-stripe on shoulders like their previous set, but kept it one color (i.e. no more grey/black/anthracite), which also means the capped sleeves are gone.
  • Returned to previous wordmarks. IMO the new ones feel over designed. The old ones felt "razory" but still clean.
  • Kept new secondary hog on neck. I think it works well there and is an improvement over the hog/shield from before.
  • Added shoulder numbers, like the previous set had. Without any substantial shoulder / sleeve design, the absence of them feels unfinished to me.
  • Kept new pants stripe. I think this is a certain improvement over the old fill-in-the-blank style one, and compliments the razor-stripe well.
  • Switched the running hog to the other side of the pants so it's running forward and not backward.
  • On white pants/helmet I used the red/black running hog instead of the reversed out red one. I think that if that's your primary logo, that's how it should appear on your uniforms. I did use the white/red version on the red helmet for traditions' sake and whatnot (and because it actually has correct shadows/highlights unlike the reversed version)
  • Changed helmet back bumper to read "Arkansas" instead of "Razorbacks" because it seemed redundant to have "Hogs" on the front and "Razorbacks" on the back.

9YivC2d.jpg

I like this a lot, you took what Nike did and improved it by leaps and bounds.The flywire being black bothers me greatly, I'd change that to the darker red on the red, and the silvery-white they now use on the white, or vice-versa to add contrast. The pant stripe is something I'd want to see changed to be more consistant with the striping you added on the sleeves.

The only major design flaw I've spotted- the numbers do not continue to the back of the jersey. Where'd the 1 and the 4 go?!

1425175351-U10338.png

Good, but I'm still not a fan of the numbers.

Yeah I went back and forth on that a lot. I ended up liking this a bit more than the basic block they had on the last set.

I like this a lot, you took what Nike did and improved it by leaps and bounds.The flywire being black bothers me greatly, I'd change that to the darker red on the red, and the silvery-white they now use on the white, or vice-versa to add contrast. The pant stripe is something I'd want to see changed to be more consistant with the striping you added on the sleeves.

The only major design flaw I've spotted- the numbers do not continue to the back of the jersey. Where'd the 1 and the 4 go?!

I was trying to simulate the "curve" of the shoulder. Meaning: you can see part of the numbers from the from the front, but from behind their on top of / in front of the shoulder. But you probably would be able to see a bit of the number from the back view.

Also, the Flywire isn't meant to be black; just like all the other seams on the uniform aren't really black in real life. It's just a representation. Regardless, I lowered the opacity of the flywire.

As for the pants stripe, my rationale is because they're the razorBACKS not razorLEGS. ;P

lwBZ4DJ.jpg

the little changes make this a stronger uniform for sure. i'd like to see the pants stripe tweaked a bit too, it's just a bit odd because its so slightly different from whats on the jersey. making that a "Razor stripe" would add consistency/repetition to the uniform and give them an element they can really own, which in the NCAA sports world should be a focus when your school colors are red and white because so many of those identities look really similar.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I'm an idiot. I just realized I forgot the other side of the razor. I was looking at a front shot of the old jersey and you couldn't see that the underside of the stripe was jagged as well. This looks much more correct, and not-feathery.

nM473Rl.jpg

Archived