Future of MLS in NYC

davidrpaige

I've been working on a North American soccer design project, which I'm not quite done with, but I thought I'd at least share the NYC concepts I've worked on.

The concept is that 1) NY Cosmos enters the MLS, and 2) Red Bulls GmbH gives up on their brand and resort back to the old NY MetroStars identity. They go with Metro NY Stars as the new identity to place emphasis on being a Metro NYC team and removing the reference to MetroMedia, the previous owners of the club.

Metro NY Stars

The Red Bulls go back to an older identity and recover many disenfranchised fans when they changed to the Red Bulls identity. The Metro Stars still play in Harrison, NJ at Red Bull Arena and the kit sponsor is naturally Red Bull. Now that the fans have their Metro Stars back, they are very tolerant and happy with Red Bull ownership and sponsorship.

Home kit:

MetroNYStarsHomeKit_zps2b593d06.png

Away kit:

MetroNYStarsAwayKit_zps1a40d024.png

Crest (still in the works and could use c&c):

d818a9820825d1f3cee47dd200b40bab_zpsfc2c

NY Cosmos

After much negotiation, and the departure of some key owners in the ownership group, the Cosmos relinquish their stance on brand control and join the single entity system that is MLS. The Cosmos has a strong following in Queens and Long Island due to their stadium location at Belmont. What was considered aggressive for a D2 team at the time, the NY Emirates Stadium is one of the best stadiums in MLS.

Home kit:

Cosmoshome_zps1ddc8a85.png

Away kit:

Cosmosaway_zpsf3660434.png

3rd kit:

Cosmos3rd_zpsac265df7.png

NYC FC

With their entry in 2015, NYCFC has been a highly aggressive club in NYC. They had a few setbacks at first, such as playing in Yankee Stadium for a few years as they worked out their own stadium situation. Once their home was completed in the Bronx, NYCFC has been a very strong club on the pitch. They were becoming a very popular club in NYC until Red Bull changed their identity back to the Metro Stars, which swung the loyalties of some older fans back to that club. NYCFC is still the most popular of the 3 clubs, mostly comprised of Manhattan hipsters as Cosmos and Metro Star fans would claim.

Home kit:

NYCFChomekits_zps7a403409.png

Away kit:

NYCFCawaykits_zps928ec82d.png

3rd kit:

NYCFC3rdkits_zps4e4a7771.png

What do you think about this for the Cosmos 3rd jersey?

Cosmos3rd2_zps5822b2c9.png

It is a combo of the 1973-74 and 1980-84 away kits.

4kymxs3shhtq5rrrb5wg92274.gifzavewatessjrdemhz3kelkzzg.gif

I like the original 3rd mostly because the blue, yellow, and green worked really well in that pinstripe configuration. I could see the Cosmos using it as a middle finger gesture to NYCFC by having a sharper looking pinstripe kit then NYCFC. :)

I really like these. The placement of the Adidas logo on the MNYS kits are bugging me though.

I like the pinstripes on the Cosmos Third, maybe if they were less stripes and slightly thicker so they are just thin stripes rather than pin? I also like the tribute one as well. Who says you can't have 4 jerseys? MLS does? Lol

I really like these. The placement of the Adidas logo on the MNYS kits are bugging me though.

I like the pinstripes on the Cosmos Third, maybe if they were less stripes and slightly thicker so they are just thin stripes rather than pin? I also like the tribute one as well. Who says you can't have 4 jerseys? MLS does? Lol

Yeah, it kinda bugs me too. According to the Adidas style guides, the logo is placed inside vertical hoops like that, that way they are not being contrasted by 2 different colors. When I tried moving it to a more traditional placement on the chest, it wasn't a big deal on the home red/black kit. It was hard to balance the adidas logo on the white/black away kit though, having it being split down the middle. But I agree with you, it does look odd.

I'll have to play around with a broader stripe look for the 1st Cosmo 3rd.

Never knew about the Adidas logo rules :P I guess I've been doing it wrong. What I would do for the black and red is the white logo on both stripes where it would be on a normal kit. On the white, the red is hard to see anyway so possibly going 2010 Russia and 2010 Japan kits where they are higher up on the right shoulder, which could also be pushed farther away from the neck. Thats just my take but overall, all 3 teams are great identities. (And this is from someone who usually hates when people make concepts on a real jersey)

Thought I'd have a little more fun with "future" NYC teams. First off is the New York Athletic Club.

New York Athletic Club (NYAC)

The Club was founded in 1868 and has been fielding soccer teams for almost as long. They only recently entered the professional ranks and built up their soccer pitch at their Pelham, NY location. It is the smallest stadium of the NYC clubs, but it is also the most intimate.

The addition of NYAC has not come without controversy. NYAC had a long history of discrimination, especially towards Jews and Blacks, which opposing supporter clubs don't let them forget about. While these policies are in the past, to many New Yorkers it is something they won't forget. As a result, NYAC is the most vilified of the NYC teams.

The NYAC crest is a simplification of the club's seal:

The_New_York_Athletic_Club_logo.png

NYAC_zpsf73bc261.jpg

The crest is always silkscreened on, never stitched, changing colors to best contrast the shirt it is on. Traditional home colors are red shirt, blue shorts, red socks. Away colors are white shirt, blue shorts, red socks.

NYAChomekits_zps49926c70.pngNYACawaykits_zpsab87c4b9.png

Because of the traditions of NYAC, they do not alter their looks and tend to be very plain with their kits. Coupled with the silkscreening of their crest, opposing fans like to jeer about how cheap NYAC is, even though NYAC is probably the deepest pocketed club.

Brooklyn Wanderers

If there was a soccer club based on The Island of Misfit Toys, the Brooklyn Wanderers would be that team. The competition for sponsorship agains more "glamorous" clubs like NYCFC, NYAC, the Cosmos, and Metro NY has at times been heartbreaking to the small organization in Brooklyn. Not until the last 20-ish years has Brooklyn ever seemed a draw for sponsorship, let alone respect from NYC fans. But times they are a-changin and the Brooklyn Wanderers have recently become a very powerful team. They haven't quite gotten all the way, but many believe seeing the Wanderers as contending champs is just around the corner.

The Wanderers have used various shades of green throughout their past. Mostly based of the founding members Irish heritage, Brooklyn stands apart from the other NYC clubs' traditional red and blue usage. Brooklyn also tends to take the term Clash Kit to its extreme. Every other year, sometimes every year, the Wanderers sport some new and wild design with very vibrant color combination. This year is a more mellow year as they sport a rich purple and yellow highlights. Brooklyn fans are waiting for next year where Vegas odds are high on some kind of neon orange kit.

Brooklynhomekits_zps2be8f99a.pngBrooklynawaykits_zpsea5dacd7.png

Still working on 3rd kits for both NYAC and Brooklyn.

Archived