St. Louis Rams Redesign

JPDesign

Since the NFL thread was graveyarded I suppose this deserves it's own thread. As many have speculated, the Rams are in the process of looking at a redesign. Their VP and CCO took to twitter last night and dropped some hints at what that might entail.

Traditionalists rejoice (at least for now) because the possibilities of both blue/yellow and blue/white are on the table:

oobbcKb.png

421g2J4.png

Article here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10832848/uni-watch-st-louis-rams-executive-hints-new-uniforms-the-works

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping they at least go navy and yellow instead of royal and yellow. I know it's an unpopular opinion for these boards, but the royal and yellow is ugly as sin.

Also, this means part 1 of my guess in the locked thread came true. Now, all that's left is for word to leak in the middle of the season that Kroenke is taking the Rams to Hollywood.

I'm hoping they at least go navy and yellow instead of royal and yellow. I know it's an unpopular opinion for these boards, but the royal and yellow is ugly as sin.

Also, this means part 1 of my guess in the locked thread came true. Now, all that's left is for word to leak in the middle of the season that Kroenke is taking the Rams to Hollywood.

Oh me too man. I think the royal and yellow (especially with the mismatched helmet) is vastly overrated and navy and yellow would look far superior imo.

Navy and yellow is a bland color scheme in general, IMO. NO team has gone to navy and yellow and looked better than before, with the lone possible exception being the Pacers. I'd be pissed if the Rams went to that, seeing as I love the blue and yellow set. However, with the current state of uniform design, I can totally envision the Rams fellating themselves about going "back to tradition," and then releasing a navy and yellow set because, "we went back to the team's traditional shade of gold, while updating the blue for the 21st century."

Besides, it would be a huge screw-up for the franchise to go to its fourth color set (fifth if you count the yellow-less years separately). As much as people conflate yellow and gold and speak as if the Steelers and Saints wear the same colors, they are entirely different. There comes a point where your colors are your colors. They absolutely should use colors the franchise has used in the past, and they shouldn't be navy and red.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They're going to screw this up. I know this is sort of the wrong place to say this, but I'm starting to really hate sports design. It does nothing but crush my soul any more.

I think it's because sports fans are such an inexplicable breed (to which I fit in—just not in this one aspect). Loyalty to teams and moments and history blurs their vision so much that good design becomes significantly less important. Good design may be appreciated more, but mediocre design gets appreciated (as if it's good design). And fans don't realize when they're getting the latter and not the former.

And so I think the Rams will make a bunch of stupid mistakes here based on stuff they think looks cool because of history.

In truth, the Rams have what may be the best set of uniforms in their history. I wish they still had gold pants and that Nike would bring back the metallic to the gold. But these are stellar uniforms.

I'm open to the idea of changing the color scheme to royal blue and yellow, though. Although I think you'd have to explore some options with the blue or multiple shades of blue. I don't think a royal blue helmet would look right, so I'd like to see that stay dark (even if not as dark as it has been).

But Ram horns on the sleeves get truncated on modern uniform cuts, plus it's just a little weird. They're cool throwbacks. But not full-time unis. And the blue and white? Not only are those rather dull, it's also another teams color scheme (Indy), and a scheme that has no history with the St. Louis fan base. So long as they're in STL, I don't think that change should be on the table (and even if they move it'd be bad).

The current uniforms do a solid job tying in homages to their LA past, their STL past, with a look that feels modern and timeless at the same time. Generally I wouldn't be in favor of such a simple change because it feels lazy, but honestly I think the main thing I'd support would be swapping out navy in the current set with a dark royal blue and gold with yellow. Then make a version of the current white pants in blue and yellow, see what looks best (you don't necessarily need all 3 options) and roll with that.

But they won't do this. They'll do something stupid. And sports design will continue to make sad (after it used to bring me so much joy :( .)

Before the Nike treatment and when we still had gold pants, those were probably among the Rams' best look. I liked them because they represented the St. Louis Rams. Not the Cleveland Rams, not the L.A. Rams, they were our colors, and our team. Now it just seems like they're going to change just in time to hop on the train to L.A. (I hope to God not, but I can see it happening).

I would not be surprised if Nike really wanted to go out of the box and added red to the color scheme. Reasons why:

- The team used to wear red and navy blue

- every team in St. Louis has (or had) some sort of red in their uniform

- because St. Louis's flag is made of red, blue, and yellow (i.e. the Rams "new" color scheme)

- It would bring a brand new identity to the team

I think this was (and still would be) a great color scheme

hull+jersey+1.jpg

but i do agree with you guys, if the Rams wore metallic gold pants with their current home unis it would look so much better

Neither of these are bad options either:

Bradford2_zps304e6e6b.png

Bradford3_zps9379826d.png

your photobucket is broken for me....

Seconded.

I'm intersted to see what they come up with. Personally, I think their throwbacks, at least the Nike versions, are pretty solid.

ramsthrowbacksgettyid157360826.jpg?w=600

1425175351-U10338.png

Neither of these are bad options either:

Bradford2_zps304e6e6b.png

Bradford3_zps9379826d.png

your photobucket is broken for me....

Seconded.

I'm intersted to see what they come up with. Personally, I think their throwbacks, at least the Nike versions, are pretty solid.

ramsthrowbacksgettyid157360826.jpg?w=600

hey no trees allowed around here :P

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

why is it, back in the 80s, 90s the Rams and Giants had to wear navy helmets, and the Broncos, light blueish? They had technology to make kelly green Jets helmets but not royal blue? San Jose St., and Boise St. had royal blue helmets back in the 80s and 90s. Duke and Kansas in the 90s

Archived