Uniform looks and identities that you miss in sports

Tigers6884

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've started a topic, and as usual, we're looking back at time. With it being Throwback Thursday, and the fact that I'm wearing my logo-less Mighty Ducks jersey, I figured that we can look at the uniforms we grew up with and miss. So without further ado, here's my list:

1. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim: Back in the day, their uniforms and color scheme seemed strange to

many people, and the fact that they were based on a children's movie made them even that much more

unique. I remember the Mighty Ducks being my go-to team when playing NHL 2005 on the original

Xbox. The reason why I chose them most of the time was,of course, their sweet color scheme, logo,

and jerseys.

2. FLORIDA Marlins: Another case of a perfect original set and color scheme dropped in favor of an awful

one. I didn't really think about their identity as a classic until it was long gone like a home run.

3. Ottawa Senators: This is more of a logo missed by me rather than uniforms. I really liked the logo they

used in the 1990s and early 2000s.

4. Purple and teal Arizona Diamondbacks: I don't really remember watching much baseball in my early

childhood, so I missed really being able to appreciate these uniforms when they were in use. However,

I do sort of remember admiring the pure amount of coolness that was the appearance of Randy

Johnson. Anyways, I'm getting off topic. I believe that their current color scheme is a little too generic

for my taste, and I think that they need to go back to something a little more daring and unique.

Well, that's my list. How about you guys? What uniforms are you nostalgic for?

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some of my uniforms and identities that I miss in sports:

1. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: For anyone who was born in the late 80's and early 90's, the Mighty Ducks was an unmistakable identity that helped spurred growth in the NHL. They're one of my all-time favorite identities in sports from the unique color scheme (eggplant and jade) to the classic hockey mask logo (which is currently on the alts). But what made this identity so special is how recognizable the look is to a non-hockey fan. Even though I don't watch much hockey, I still know that's the old Mighty Ducks logo because of the movies and TV show. If it's one identity I want back right now in any sport, it's the Mighty Ducks and it's not even close.
  2. Old Tampa Bay Devil Rays uniform (1998-2000): For some odd reason, I have a huge soft spot with these uniforms. :wub: It might be that there is some serious nostalgia in watching Wade Boggs' 3000th hit or the fact that I have a snapback of the cap they wore at the time. I know most prefer the look from 2001-2007 but this is better than those uniforms for the simple reason that it has a uniquely "Florida" feel with the gradients. The only thing I would change is remove the "devil" off the uniforms change the gradients to match the current color scheme (from Navy to Columbia Blue to Yellow), and change the cap to Navy. If they could do that, The Rays would look a billion times better while retaining their unique color scheme.
  3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: I'm not the first and definitely the last to say it, but the old look was light-years better than the current. I seriously don't know why they changed from one of the best looks in NFL history to one of the worst ever. Pewter and Red was truly a unique color combo and that helmet is awesome.
  4. San Diego Padres: Brown and Yellow is the way to go my friend. Currently, the Padres look like the poor man's New York Yankees outside of the pinstripes and is so boring to look at. Plus, many fans remember this look during the days of Dave Winfield and Goose Gossage. I mean if the Blue Jays can go back to a retro-esque look, so can the Padres
  5. Old Florida Marlins: I love the amount of teal in the uniforms and reminded me of the 1997 World Series. But my favorite uniforms is the inaugural road uniforms they wore. :wub:

CCB2003.jpg

091026_TampaBayDevilRays_baseball_2000_h

tb_bucsalstott2_450.jpg

winfieldpadrespf-1.jpg

Marlins1.png

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I've started a topic, and as usual, we're looking back at time. With it being Throwback Thursday, and the fact that I'm wearing my logo-less Mighty Ducks jersey, I figured that we can look at the uniforms we grew up with and miss. So without further ado, here's my list:

1. The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim: Back in the day, their uniforms and color scheme seemed strange to

many people, and the fact that they were based on a children's movie made them even that much more

unique. I remember the Mighty Ducks being my go-to team when playing NHL 2005 on the original

Xbox. The reason why I chose them most of the time was,of course, their sweet color scheme, logo,

and jerseys.

2. FLORIDA Marlins: Another case of a perfect original set and color scheme dropped in favor of an awful

one. I didn't really think about their identity as a classic until it was long gone like a home run.

3. Ottawa Senators: This is more of a logo missed by me rather than uniforms. I really liked the logo they

used in the 1990s and early 2000s.

4. Purple and teal Arizona Diamondbacks: I don't really remember watching much baseball in my early

childhood, so I missed really being able to appreciate these uniforms when they were in use. However,

I do sort of remember admiring the pure amount of coolness that was the appearance of Randy

Johnson. Anyways, I'm getting off topic. I believe that their current color scheme is a little too generic

for my taste, and I think that they need to go back to something a little more daring and unique.

Well, that's my list. How about you guys? What uniforms are you nostalgic for?

I just realized that today is Friday…

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Hartford Whalers - but not the set that most people like. This is my favorite Whalers set (if the blue sweater was green, it would be perfect):

Whalers11.png

San Antonio Spurs - this should have been the basis for the silver alt's design (maybe without the Bulls-style shorts)

georgegervin_display_image.jpg?131945545

Milwaukee Brewers - the nice color scheme, the Ball-in-Glove logo, and the matching uniform scripts just simply works for me (pinstripes aren't necessary, though):

yount-robin-running.jpg

Dallas Cowboys - damn, 1 shade of silver,1 shade of blue, slab-serif numbers, and striped socks really come together for a good look:

130201175805-1972-roger-staubach-super-b

The classic look the Buccaneers sported for 17 years:

01fe5e24427ad9019e46a2d6988d16c5.jpg

Even though their current set has grown on me, I still love the Wizards n these uniforms:

John+Wall+Washington+Wizards+v+Charlotte

And last but not least, the Marlins. When they had teal in the color scheme they where in my mind, the best looking team in the MLB. Those uniforms even made me a fan of the club. I miss them :( .

florida-marlins.jpg

I can totally agree on the Padres, Marlins, and Eagles.

Another one is the Nets, who had the opportunity to reclaim their beautiful classic look, but failed to do so.

julius-erving-new-york-nets.jpgErvingBattleJoyceMcGinnis.jpg

nets-dawkins.jpg

I am glad that they have worn these unis as throwbacks several times over the years:

Nets.jpg

...including in the 2003 Finals:

nba_g_tduncan1_580.jpg

They last wore the home version in the final pre-season game last season:

6686198.jpg

And they wore the road version a few times during the 2011-12 season:

020612_williams_670.jpg

I would have so loved it if these unis had been re-adopted. I know that they have had good success with their understated black and white unis. But I would be far more into the team if they had returned to these.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I never really noticed this before, but those Nets throwbacks appear to be inaccurate.

On the Dr. J uniforms, the stars and stripes are on the left front part of the uniforms, with the wordmarks and numbers off center to the right. On the throwbacks, the stars and stripes are on the side of the uniform and the wordmarks and numbers are centered.

Now this is going to bother me. :cursing:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Well, obviously I miss athletic wear at the MLB level, the Ultimate Baseball Look of the Mariners, Angels, A's, Astros, Pirates, Cubs, Cardinals, Reds, the pinstripes and racing stripes look of the Mets just to name a few.

I miss the days before gender nuetral basketball uniforms began appearing everywhere. I miss the pre-Staples Center Lakers, the pre-KeyArena Sonics look. The colorful Denver Nuggets look.

Archived